Author Topic: sputter-sput when hot  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
Re: sputter-sput when hot
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2018, 11:34:16 AM »
My 02' LeMans showed the same behavior when hot.

The reflective heat tape under the tank was falling off, so I replaced that.

Also I found the evap hoses to the tank had become blocked. Cleaned/replaced those and removed the evap can and never had the hot running issues again.

I also had the 30 amp fuse issue, the fuse block was melting and the connectors kept shorting out. I took the wires and routed them to a marine grade maxi fuse holder.

Sadly I can't tell you how well that worked, as it was around the time of the valve guide failure which ended my V11 LeMans career.  :grin: *sigh*

-Joe

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 12:45:26 PM »
Hope you found it, make sure you take the phone w/you just in case!!
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 04:39:17 PM »
Well I ran the thing 4 times today, getting it good & hot. On the road it pulls HARD- right now. Best throttle response of any Guzzi I've ever ridden. Seems to be running fine, but I can hear a slight miss at idle. Revving it up (on the sidestand) the miss is more pronounced at 4-5K w/ occasional backfire. But it never quit, was never hard to start ( I guess I didn't go far enough away from home) LOL. Nature of the miss pushes my guess to a spark issue.
ronkom 
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 08:20:32 PM »
Did you try moving the sensor wire around once it got hot?
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 08:20:32 PM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »
Did you try moving the sensor wire around once it got hot?
what he said.. cam sensor..
( I guess I didn't go far enough away from home) LOL. 
sad but true..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2018, 07:00:54 AM »
Sounds like from a process of elimination that it is likely the phase sensor, which Pete posted right off the bat. It certainly sounds electrical, and it't not likely to be a relay, fuse, connector, switch, etc. causing a miss.
Naturally, that means its fuel related.. :evil: :grin: :boozing:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2018, 08:59:43 AM »
Hey Chuck, All ideas much appreciated....no intent to dis, sorry it read that way. Was looking for assurance that the rapidly rising ohm readings as the phase sensor was heated were normal.
OK, when running & hot yesterday did indeed wiggle & jiggle wires & connections including the Phase sensor and sidestand switch (had Alice do that while I sat on the bike) NO Centerstand-UGH! Also, bike does still have electric petcock. I've been through a dying electric petcock & coil, this doesn't feel like either.
AH-ha...just had a thought, fired it up, got it warm & felt the exhaust as I revved it, I can feel the miss in BOTH cylinders. Sounds like at the same time, but won't be able to be sure until Alice gets back & can work the throttle while I have a hand behind each pipe.
ronkom   
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2018, 09:10:07 AM »
It would be nice if you could try a known good phase sensor..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 01:13:03 PM »
Well new phase sensor installed. Was mistaken, bike still had electric petcock....and wire fell loose when I touched it removing the tank, musta been down to the last couple strands. Replaced w/ manual. Sidestand switch disconnected (owner OK'd).  Everything insulated (see pix). awaiting delivery of deoxit grease to be used on all multi pin connectors before tank goes back on. pulled spark leads from coils..... pix show what left side looks like (yikes!) right side shiny clean like it was assembled yesterday. Whole bottom of tank covered w/reflective insulation in good shape.
So, I hope she runs sweet & true

THE MOTRESYKLMAN

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2018, 02:03:12 PM »

Eeeks..green is not good.  :smiley: I'd say that bad boy is overdue for a complete take all connectors apart and squirt some Deoxit in there..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here