Author Topic: Digging for drainpipes  (Read 1043 times)

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
Digging for drainpipes
« on: April 20, 2020, 07:55:05 AM »
I am a procrastinator.

This sounds like the start of an AA meeting  :laugh:

I am a procrastinator & if I'm not sure of how to do something, I'll research, but this can easily become 'Doing something other than what I should be doing'.

So here's my problem & I thought I'd ask the combined knowledge here for sound advise, as I am often amazed at the broad range of knowledge & experience on WildGuzzi.

I have to install drainpipes on my property. Ok no problem. House was built in 1938 & used clay tile/pipe for the drainpipes, septic tank etc. To mow etc I have a Kubota L 185 small tractor. The weight of the tractor going over the clay tile drainpipes has created a depression so I'm assuming they are crushed  or broken enough to need replacing.

Whilst initially I was thinking of Schedule 40 rigid pipe, how deep would you have to bury the pipe to overcome the tractor problem ? I presume the pipe needs to be in 3" of gravel to allow for flexing. The pipes will go from the top of the ridge down the hill to the pond & all of my land is Ohio clay.

The flexing problem brought me to using the black plastic pipe, as seen at Home Depot etc. Whilst this would be able to move, could it cope with the load of the tractor?

I am loath to sweat & strain digging  & putting in the pipe only to find next year that it's failed in some way next year cos I didn't understand how it should have been constructed

Whilst thinking about this..'Squirrel!' sunny day, I'm off for a ride.

Management  :thewife: would like to see some movement on this project as I'm home with the time.

Advise please
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Digging for drainpipes
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 08:07:29 AM »
Call the diggers hot line so they mark the gas and electric lines,  then put out some of your own markers where you want your lines might go.  That’s the all important visual progress  :thewife:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 08:08:07 AM »
Is the area often wet and/or soft? If the ground i stable a 12" bury depth is plenty with suitable backfill as plastic is very resilient if crossing over it at a 90 degree. If the tires are running with the pipe burying  deeper is better.

The rub is since you are relying on gravity to drain the current bury depth might be as good as it gets. The good news is PVC will take a lot more weight then terracotta.

If you are talking about sewer DO NOT use corrigated flexable pipe.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 08:10:41 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 08:22:01 AM »
Call a respectable septic service and have professionals to do the job. In the long run you’d be glad you did. I’ve been there.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 08:22:01 AM »

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 08:44:05 AM »
Answers in order;

Gas, electric & phone lines have been marked.

The tractor has lawn tyres on it with 12 psi pressure & do a good job of not leaving an imprint. So if I am running with the length of the pipe, how deep to bury the pipe ?
What do you consider a suitable backfill other than the clay soil I dug out ?
The ground is not wet or soft but it is clay & moves.

The septic system is another project & can of worms.
2013 1200 8v Griso

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 08:48:08 AM »

Use schedule 40 PVC.  You'll crush the flexible black french drain pipe.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 09:07:37 AM »
Answers in order;

The tractor has lawn tyres on it with 12 psi pressure & do a good job of not leaving an imprint.

Might be worth doing some gentle exploration with the shovel, you either have some kind of leak before you drove on it or the pipes are very shallow indeed I would not expect that kind of pressure to cause a failure.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 09:17:16 AM »
Answers in order;

Gas, electric & phone lines have been marked.

The tractor has lawn tyres on it with 12 psi pressure & do a good job of not leaving an imprint. So if I am running with the length of the pipe, how deep to bury the pipe ?
What do you consider a suitable backfill other than the clay soil I dug out ?
The ground is not wet or soft but it is clay & moves.

The septic system is another project & can of worms.

You will want to use either sand or 2b stone. You also want a 6" sand or stone bed under the pipe then cover with another 6" of sand or son then backfill the res of the ditch with suitable dirt. Suitable means not to dry or sopping wet. If you can for a ball with eh dirt by hand and it stays then it is suitable. This means your ditch will be a minimum of 25" deep. If you need to add more than 12" of dirt you should compact it in 12" lifts. By compacting I don't mean stomping it down with you foot or patting the dirt with the back of a shovel. A vibrating plate compactor or jumping jack should be used.

12" above the pipe
4" pipe is 4-5/8" OD
6" of stone bed under the pipe
-----------------------------------
25" minimum ditch depth

SDR 35 or sch 40. I'd also advise you not go to the local home center if using sch. 40 pvc as it will most likely be foam core. Go to a plumbing supply house that sells to the public and get solid core sch. 40 pvc.   will work and since you only dealing with a lawn tractor even running with the ditch 12" from finish grade to top of pipe will be fine.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 09:25:12 AM »
Perazzimix14, thanks that was the information I needed but feared hearing.

Better get figuring out my shopping list.
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 10:52:09 AM »
Well, if it helps any, I just had some sewer problems last week and called Eco-Plumbers to snake it, They ran the camera, and traced all the bad spots that need work (eventually). At about 60' from the house, the 6" pipe was at 3'-4" deep, and then at about 82' it was 3'-11 deep, and 8' deep where it taps into the city sewer.

All this was done with permit work and inspected in 2010, so thinking it's to code. The issue however is the contractor skimped on back fill gravel and now 10 years later we have a 25' stretch of bellying causing the issue that eventually I'll deal with...
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 12:02:48 PM »

The issue however is the contractor skimped on back fill gravel and now 10 years later we have a 25' stretch of bellying causing the issue that eventually I'll deal with...

I had to deal with a similar problem here a few years ago, thankfully my neighbors were professional septic installers and helped me solve the mystery.

I thought my tank was full and not allowing good drainage, but upon close inspection my problems were caused by settling in my 30' ABS/PVC? drain pipe from the house to the septic tank, where a large section of pipe had bowed down in the middle due to improper tamping of the material on installation.

To the OP, I won't go anywhere near my septic system with my tractor, but it sounds like you don't have a choice; once you have a good grade for your installation, pay particular attention to tamping down the material under the pipe for support from the bottom.

Iirc the contractor used clear stone to back fill around the new straight drain pipe, then just regular fill to finish off.

Good luck

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 04:24:19 PM »
These are the sort of issues I want to avoid & why I asked.
Thanks to all who replied.

The septic is another expense that I’m going to leave to the professionals
2013 1200 8v Griso

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here