Author Topic: WNY Moto Guzzi Family Rally in the Vineyard *Added PICS*  (Read 4265 times)

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: WNY Moto Guzzi Family Rally in the Vineyard *Added PICS*
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 06:34:43 AM »
I did a little digging and found a video from 1988 of the Sea Lion sailing on nearby Chautauqua Lake. No doubt it is the same ship. At some point, it had to have been transported to the harbor on Lake Erie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNc2TpvSzXY
About 8 minutes long.

John Henry

Offline Thunderbutt

• Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 11:02:28 AM »
Zoom zoom and all, yes the Sea Lion was sea worthy and used on Chautauqua Lake originally when it was first commissioned.  Unfortunately  with the prevailing winds it could only sail down wind from Mayville towards Jamestown. The lake isn't wide enough for the ship to "tack " back upwind to port.  This required a motor vessel to tow the ship back to port.  Eventually expense over rode interest and the ship fell into disrepair. A group up in Buffalo adopted the ship and it was transferred to Buffalo Harbor. While there it sank either from intentional or weather related cause.  It rested on the bottom for serial years until rescued once again by a group from Chautauqua County.  It was raised, patched and towed the 50 some miles back to Barcelona where it sat dry docked on static  display.
We would make it a point to stop by when we visited family up there, broke my heart to see it just sitting the languishing in the weather after all the hard work the volunteers put in to build it.  Glad to see it being rescued once again.
Current rides: 2000 V-11 Sport-SOLD, 2003 Aprilia Mille Haga Replica #125, 1975 Triumph T160, 2002 LeMans, 2008 Norge aka the silver bullet

Offline hidn45

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 11:24:47 AM »
Looks like I've been out of touch too long - glad to hear she'll be ship-shape again.  Thanks for the update - I'll keep my ear to the ground & see if i can find out how she's coming along....

Thanks for the great pic's, too, Charlie!
Y2K Bassa - "Benedetta" (sold)
1986 Cali II - "Moose"
1977 T-3 [formerly FB] - name TBD

MGNOC member # 22,000

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here