Author Topic: Wishful thinking  (Read 5915 times)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
Wishful thinking
« on: November 16, 2018, 09:08:55 PM »
I'm wishing I could find a modern bike that could sing to me like my older Guzzis. I fiddled with the G-5 a little today, repaired some wires , etc., and was able to run it around a little. I came back with the biggest shyte eatin grin I've had for months.  :grin: It all came flooding back, why I love these old turds. Nothing compares running it through the gears, very satisfying, even with the airbox intact (usually the first thing I eliminate and replace with K&Ns), and even knowing there is a lot of work left to do to get it to run the way I like. 

Then I think about the hours involved in keeping the relic running, and the knowledge that sooner or later, the dreaded frame crabbing will be needed. If only one could go down and buy a new bike that pumps  all the same  endorphins, without having to pay for it in with greasy hands, smelly clothes, sending off to the frozen North for antique parts to keep things mostly moving in the same direction.

So, you vintage Guzzisti, do your later model motorcycles deliver the same high quality buzz, or have you just learned to make do with what has evolved? Have you had to jump ship and get a Brand X bike to get the same pleasure out of your bike? OR, do you think the new stuff delivers more and better emotion than the older ones? What say ye?
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: Wishful thinking
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 09:42:15 PM »
I get more enjoyment out of my 73 eldo, 85 Lemans, and 84 Cal II than any other bikes I have owned. The newer stuff just doesnt do it for me. I now mostly use my bikes for day rides .The only thing I would consider a newer bike for is two up touring from coast to coast, and for that, I would pick a new GL 1800  Gold wing.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 09:58:01 PM »
You need to come get the cheap Griso!! I'm still riding the stuff I bought new in 80's. Cept the 98EV, got it to ride w/LM3 got bent. Some day I'll ride it again. I still smile riding the stuff. Something about same old bikes, for me they feel like home. Hell, even my trusty old 67 stays on the tail of a Stelvio, maybe it's the rider, but maybe it's my bike. The new stuff ain't all that, unless you like new stuff.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 10:06:20 PM »
Enjoy old and new. But there is defiantly a grin factor in the rawness of an old carbed bike.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 10:06:20 PM »

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 10:32:36 PM »
My newest Guzzi (2000 Quota) isn't that much different than my 850 T. Other than the fuel injection, it's all old tech and I think that's why I like it so much.
I have no desire for traction control, gyroscopes, multiple map selections, or even ABS.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 07:33:38 AM »
My Scout actually reminds me of my old loop frame. My small-block riding friend said that if he closed his eyes he could almost believe he was on his Roamer (except the power kept coming).

So yes, there are bikes that give me the right sensations and require very little attention. Very happy.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 07:39:02 AM »
I think you're on to something, Shorty.. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 07:55:39 AM »
 I have no bikes made in this century, I never owned a bike newer than 8 years old...I see here that some buy a new bike almost every year...Either way works I suppose..

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 08:21:28 AM »
A 2015 V7 Stone and 2001 jackal seem to hit the sweet spots for me.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »
My bikes range from 81-71 +3converts.The old bikes I really enjoy especially the Ambassador with it's tall gears + transmission that takes talent to shift,if I should break down somewhere I'm sure I can fix it on the side of the road if that should EVER happen.The old ones were made to last.I have never had to replace a seal in the drive line until(50 years of ridding) I bought my EV,never did I change out bearings in the trans /with shims. How about the clutch???? 43,000 mi. on the EV + it's clutch replacement time. I had a 82 airhead with 280,000miles pulled a camper 100,000 of it + never had clutch trouble + this is a SINGLE disk clutch  :bike-037: All in all I pre
fer a good running Convert to all of them ,they are just so much fun! Day before yesterday I took my first ever ride on a 90 Gold Wing,that was truly amazing it will do anything you ask of it.I road it to the liquor store 15mi. away,got my booze but I  had to pay for it myself----Well guess even the Gold Wings arn't perfict !!!

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 09:21:19 AM »

This old beast always puts a grin on my face, and she’ll do it today. After I go pick up a turkey to thaw, I’m goin’ for a ride, temps in the 50’s in sw mo today wooooo hoooo!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 09:40:21 AM »
How to explain it as an owner of a 1975 T-3 and a 2011 Norge 8V?
The Norge is still a V-twin Guzzi but much more refined than the T-3. If I am traveling distances give me the Norge. I will arrive much less tired and sore and still have fun factor. However the T-3...it speaks to me. As a LAPD model it does not have a tach so you have to listen and feel the engine to have it do what you want when. Both bikes will go fast but you know it on the T-3 which adds good vibes and noise which reminds me of a 60s muscle car. The T-3 just immerses one into the experience more so than the Norge.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 09:52:38 AM »
Funny how you forget things like this. I went through the exact same thing maybe fifteen years ago after an elk took out the R11S and I started riding the older bikes again. The newer stuff is better in just about every way except the grin factor - and I found it to be very true that it's more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Not that these old slow bikes are actually slow.

As for keeping them running, especially these Guzzis, once they're sorted, they keep on going. I've had to crab the frame (clutch) with all three of mine, but now that it's done, they're going strong. I think the age of the failing Guzzi clutch is in the past and once repaired isn't an issue. The splines are better these days and the clutches don't break their webs, fall apart, or get grabby like the SureFlex I had to replace for that reason. New bikes have their maintenance issues, so there is a balance - it's not all negative on the old bike side. I don't know what it's like working on newer Geese, but a clutch on a newer oilhead makes crabbing the frame a walk in the park.

You know, trying to explain why riding an older bike is so satisfying is a lot like trying to explain why I love riding. You can talk around it, but getting to the heart of it is impossible.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 09:55:38 AM »
Talk about two different ends of the spectrum!! :shocked: :huh: :rolleyes:  '98 Centauro GT and '14 Victory Vision!! :wink:  They are both fun to ride...but the Guzzi is particularly fun to flog! :cool: :thumb:

There are no bad motorcycles (IMHO), vintage or modern - just choose your flavor and GO! :wink:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 10:28:40 AM »
I get more enjoyment out of my 73 eldo, 85 Lemans, and 84 Cal II than any other bikes I have owned. The newer stuff just doesnt do it for me. I now mostly use my bikes for day rides .The only thing I would consider a newer bike for is two up touring from coast to coast, and for that, I would pick a new GL 1800  Gold wing.
Rick.
What!?  Not a Cali. 1400 Touring?

I had a 2000 BMW R1100R and a 2001 BMW R1150GS - they both felt like simpler, older machines.  I just wish you coulda bought that motor in a frame with normal forks - kinda like the R NINE T.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 10:31:11 AM by oilhed »
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 11:22:30 AM »
Ok, new-ish Moto Guzzi guy here.   So you are telling me there are Guzzi motorcycles that are more fun to ride than my Griso and V7 iii Racer?? :grin:  I take the Racer out if I'm in a bit more relaxed frame of mind, the Griso if more in fast romp frame of mind. 

What's a good "newest of the old" that would you guys would suggest?   I think I need disc brakes.  Carbs are fine.  I love the looks of the green & black 1000S, beautiful!   But I would need to stay in the $5K-$8K range, and it seems any decent green/black 1000S is way over that.    Not sure what's a good model. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2018, 11:25:41 AM »
Ok, new-ish Moto Guzzi guy here.   So you are telling me there are Guzzi motorcycles that are more fun to ride than my Griso and V7 iii Racer?? :grin:  I take the Racer out if I'm in a bit more relaxed frame of mind, the Griso if more in fast romp frame of mind. 

What's a good "newest of the old" that would you guys would suggest?   I think I need disc brakes.  Carbs are fine.  I love the looks of the green & black 1000S, beautiful!   But I would need to stay in the $5K-$8K range, and it seems any decent green/black 1000S is way over that.    Not sure what's a good model. 
A Centauro!!

One reason I keep wrenching a bit, I can ride what I don't want to own or afford.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2018, 11:33:48 AM »
QUOTE:  What's a good "newest of the old" that would you guys would suggest?   I think I need disc brakes.  Carbs are fine.  I love the looks of the green & black 1000S, beautiful!   But I would need to stay in the $5K-$8K range, and it seems any decent green/black 1000S is way over that.    Not sure what's a good model. 

* Centauro, Sport, GT
* 850 Le Mans, II, III, IV
* SP1000-III
* Mille-GT
* 850-T, T-3, T-5
* Strada

:thumb: :cool: :wink:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2018, 02:16:23 PM »
Le Mans 1000.
Charlie

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 02:30:36 PM »

havin’ a ball ‘yall :thumb:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:19:13 PM by Guzzistajohn »

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2018, 03:03:41 PM »

Charlie nailed it. $3000 and just getting run in at 58000 miles.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

pete roper

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2018, 03:32:32 PM »
Every time I ride an old one they feel old, disappointing, uncomfortable and slow with all of the sophistication of a turd sandwich. I have fond memories of my youth attached to them but as is often said the best thing about the ' Good Old Days' is that they are gone.

Pete

Offline geodoc

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2018, 03:50:03 PM »
There are many iterations of "super good ride feel". For just loping along sort of "daisy pickin'" my Loop is just fine, though not for more than a couple day trip. If I want to travel, it's the Triumph Sprint even with its (credit to PR) "poverty pack" suspension. I'd probably be happy replacing the Sprint with a last year Norge, but the Sprint is worth so little to sell and is 90% of the way to something more modern for suspension, power, brakes, etc. that I'll just keep flogging it for the duration.

Every time I ride an old one they feel old, disappointing, uncomfortable and slow with all of the sophistication of a turd sandwich. I have fond memories of my youth attached to them but as is often said the best thing about the ' Good Old Days' is that they are gone.

Pete

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »

Pete

The few "new" ones I've ridden feel cheap, uncomfortable, heavy, twitchy, jerky and bland. I'll happily stick with my Guzzis (and others) made in the "good old days".
Charlie

pete roper

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2018, 04:47:19 PM »
Which is fine Charlie! I'm just offering a counterpoint.  :thumb:

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2018, 04:49:00 PM »
Which is fine Charlie! I'm just offering a counterpoint.  :thumb:

As was I.
Charlie

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2018, 06:31:46 PM »
I don't know.  It is hard to get the green/black 1000s out of my head.  Even seeing the $15K price tags.  Let's see, if I sold my KTM 990, my BMW F800GT, and one of my good bicycles, I might be able to afford that.   :grin:

Here's a nice old school video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAtFk3CFdYg 

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2018, 08:14:02 PM »
Is that what the 1000S goes for these days? $15K???

I had no idea. That's as much as the original it copies...

The LeMans 1000 is an excellent choice for very little money. I think they're a bargain. But you've got to be willing to sort out the issues, and they came with quite a few, new from Italy. There's the jetting, and front suspension to name two. And then there's the switches, possibly clutch and any goofy additions or alterations made over the last 25 or 30 years. It took me a year or so to sort mine out, though there are still a few things to deal with (dampers mostly), but it's been worth it. It's a killer bike and has become my favorite. It had 24K on the clock when I got it, now it's over 40 - running stronger and smoother all the time.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »
Les Wooten from St. Joseph, mo. has a big valve 1000S. I got to ride it some --- that motor was killer!

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 08:43:22 PM »
QUOTEEvery time I ride an old one they feel old, disappointing, uncomfortable and slow with all of the sophistication of a turd sandwich. :laugh: :grin: :wink: :shocked: :huh: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

C'mon now...you have to admit...that's "poetic!" :laugh: :grin: :wink:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here