Author Topic: The 2019 AFT thread (flat track)  (Read 21812 times)

oldbike54

Re: The 2019 AFT thread (flat track)
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2019, 09:48:18 AM »
  Never had to run an 8 lap main @ Sedalia, Mo. OR DuQuoin. <shrug>

Yep . A guy who was at the track overheard the promoter telling the track manager the event was a great success , some folks shouldn't be allowed near motorbike racing .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »
Yep . A guy who was at the track overheard the promoter telling the track manager the event was a great success , some folks shouldn't be allowed near motorbike racing .

Dusty
I have a feeling he's measuring success with a different yard stick $$$$$$
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #182 on: October 16, 2019, 05:02:11 PM »

GOOD NEWS!!  Jeremy Higgins discharged from Hospital

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #183 on: October 17, 2019, 01:47:07 PM »
Oliver Brindley update:

Oliver had his wrist plated yesterday and is due to have his jaw wired on Saturday as it’s broken in many places. The other facial surgery would take many hours and they want to avoid giving him anaesthetic for now as we need him to wake up - so these fixes will be done another time. The doctors said we could possibly look at flying him home on a medical plane in 2/3 weeks but this could change. Here he’s styling his new avocado socks from the lovely Williams family. Thanks everyone for the love and support! X

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: October 17, 2019, 01:47:07 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #184 on: October 17, 2019, 02:31:51 PM »
I love Flat Track but it's too dangerous. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #185 on: October 17, 2019, 03:52:11 PM »
I love Flat Track but it's too dangerous.
  It's gotten that way, hasn't it?

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2019, 11:07:46 PM »
Dusty , et al...  I'm dating myself but when I got into AMA flat track racing we still had some Harley WRs and Indian Scouts..  KRs were well established in the early 1960s but there always were some holdouts from an earlier time. 

The switch in 1970 (?) to 750cc was a mistake, IMHO.  Flat track IS dangerous.  I spent almost 7 months in hospital from 1961 through 1968 and that caused my retirement from that most demanding pursuit.  I still miss being a competitor but at almost age 83 calls offering sponsorship are ....aahhh...rather unlikely!

I follow AFT, but with mixed emotions.  Granted, I'm a dinosaur, but changing AMA flat track to NASCAR (per the AFT 2020 rules) is a terrible step backwards, as was approval of Indian's totally purpose-built power unit just for flat track racing.  No more privateers?  Yep, only 24 teams allowed in the Indian Twins class and no pick-ups and trailers.  53' transporters crammed with telemetry and "technicians" are to be the order of the day.  Can't afford $1M a year to maintain a team?  Go play in Production Twins or Singles class.

For all the attempts to glamorize AFT, the average track I am seeing is a rough and bumpy dustbowl.  Many tracks are not suited for 125cc amateur events, much less 750cc Grand National events.  Only certain engines now are allowed to enter the Twins class. Another disaster along with no privateers.

I'll still watch AFT events, but likely will turn off the computer or the TV after the Production Twins main event.

Ralph
Charter Member White Plate Flat Trackers Assn
AMA Expert licensed pro racer 1965-68.
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

oldbike54

« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2019, 11:17:25 PM »
 ^^^I agree Ralph , although my interest has actually been more focused on the singles class . The new premier class for 2020 is simply too expensive for anyone but the 5 or 6 factory riders , I'm hearing figures of $2million for a full season . Bart Markel or Gary Nixon would think that just a bit crazy .

Dusty

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here