Author Topic: V100 Mandello Merged Threadfest  (Read 111298 times)

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V100 Mandello Merged Threadfest
« Reply #1200 on: February 20, 2023, 11:50:41 AM »
I will second that. This is a really well written and concise review of not only the V100 but of Moto Guzzi as a whole.

Skippy

Thirded.  I found his description of the cruise control rather amusing.  A little weird that the CC doesn't shut off with light clutch actuation.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #1201 on: February 20, 2023, 12:16:04 PM »
Plenty riding around on them in the UK. Through the UK Guzzi group I'm getting quite regular updates from a few. All rather happy with their purchase so far.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #1203 on: February 21, 2023, 06:26:46 AM »
Thanks for sharing
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #1203 on: February 21, 2023, 06:26:46 AM »

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #1204 on: February 21, 2023, 06:43:36 AM »
I don’t recall anyone responding to this earlier so I’ll ask once more, for those of you who have put orders in already, were you given any idea what the otd pricing will be on the standard?  The S? 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1205 on: February 21, 2023, 10:15:45 AM »
I don’t recall anyone responding to this earlier so I’ll ask once more, for those of you who have put orders in already, were you given any idea what the otd pricing will be on the standard?  The S?

US MSRPs are on the Guzzi website, $15490 for the base model, $17490 for the S. Obviously sales tax and other charges are state and dealer specific, in my area I’ve found 10% total is a good rule of thumb, but that means little to somebody in a different area.

That aside the more I look at the bike, reading the very comprehensive report from Italy posted earlier, the more I see it as an Aprilia design with a Guzzi badge. 

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #1206 on: February 21, 2023, 12:01:11 PM »
  I see it as an Aprilia design with a Guzzi badge.

Piaggio, but yeah...  We all knew that, didn't we?  Guzzi's design has been in Pontedera for years, now.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1207 on: February 21, 2023, 12:09:31 PM »
The drivelines are designed in Pontedera, the bikes themselves are designed by Aprilia in Noale.

The V85TT seemed to indicate a change in Piaggio philosophy in which Guzzi designs would better reflect what Guzzi is all about, and be less like the Japanese/scooter influenced designs that Aprilia sells. The V100 engine and driveline seem to me to match that direction, but the rest of the bike does not.  Squint and you see an older Tuono, complete with funny color choices IMHO.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 12:16:08 PM by Tusayan »

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1208 on: February 21, 2023, 12:25:37 PM »
Guzzi had "funny color choices" even before Aprilia.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1209 on: February 21, 2023, 12:29:37 PM »
  "I see it as an Aprilia design with a Guzzi badge.

Piaggio, but yeah...  We all knew that, didn't we?  Guzzi's design has been in Pontedera for years, now."

Personally, I don't have a problem with the influence as long as it makes the bikes less problematic. And let's face it, the Piaggio scooters etc.,etc. are keeping the company in the black, so you can't blame them for wanting to consolidate similar manufacturing components between Aprilia and MG.

"Guzzi had "funny color choices" even before Aprilia."

Those hotdog and mustard bikes come to mind.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1210 on: February 21, 2023, 01:00:48 PM »
Personally, I don't have a problem with the influence as long as it makes the bikes less problematic. And let's face it, the Piaggio scooters etc.,etc. are keeping the company in the black, so you can't blame them for wanting to consolidate similar manufacturing components between Aprilia and MG.

I don't know you mean by "consolidate similar manufacturing components" but regardless the V85TT despite being a Aprilia design has only a limited amount of Aprilia-esque design features, although the footpeg hangers and sidestand do come to mind, has been notably successful in sales volume and is reliable.  There are some things I don't like about mine but it doesn't scream Aprilia and that's a good thing.  I think the reason its sold so well is exactly because it comes across as a Guzzi.

Why they stepped back I have no idea.  The first thing I'd do if I were to buy a V100 is strip the tacky gold paint off the valve covers, an easy way to remove something that's in your face.  Unfortunately there's not much one could do with the fairing, so I'd probably get a white painted one as it makes the form of the fairing go away a bit.  Black might be even better, like this one:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 01:22:25 PM by Tusayan »

Online DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1211 on: February 21, 2023, 01:34:54 PM »
Thanks Matteo,                                                                                2-21-23

ME LIKES!  I have 750 lb. bikes (Cali 1400's)...it might be time to get a 550 lb. bike   :wink:
Thanks for the post.

Be well, stay well,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1212 on: February 21, 2023, 04:10:01 PM »
I don't know you mean by "consolidate similar manufacturing components" but regardless the V85TT despite being a Aprilia design has only a limited amount of Aprilia-esque design features, although the footpeg hangers and sidestand do come to mind, has been notably successful in sales volume and is reliable.  There are some things I don't like about mine but it doesn't scream Aprilia and that's a good thing.  I think the reason its sold so well is exactly because it comes across as a Guzzi.

Why they stepped back I have no idea.  The first thing I'd do if I were to buy a V100 is strip the tacky gold paint off the valve covers, an easy way to remove something that's in your face.  Unfortunately there's not much one could do with the fairing, so I'd probably get a white painted one as it makes the form of the fairing go away a bit.  Black might be even better, like this one:

Maybe I could have worded that differently but what I mean is that the more engine/transmission etc. parts are shared, the more economical it is to make the bikes. Similar to Ford/Mercury, General Motors, Nissan/Acura, Audi/Volkswagen,etc.,etc..
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1213 on: February 21, 2023, 04:50:53 PM »
I am really looking forward to seeing this bike in the flesh and can't wait to ride it. I am not buying into the argument that it isn't "Guzzi like" or "Guzzi enough" to be a Moto Guzzi. This is exactly what Moto Guzzi should have produced now if not ten years ago. Is this any less of a Guzzi as the fabled VA10 motor the factory was contemplating twenty some odd years ago? Do any of you know what that was? It was a strictly in house, Mandello design. The V100 hits the mark even better than that. The innovation packed into this bike is remarkable. The access to the clutch alone should be a point of celebration. Overhead cams! Awesome! All of the bemoaning that this bike isn't Guzzi enough is nonsense. This bike represents a well thought design that will carry the brand on for quite some time to come. When Piaggio set out to work on this they did so with a great reverence for what Moto Guzzi represents to the national pride of Italy and with respect of how it is to be received by the faithful Guzzista the world over. I say it is a well-executed design and I can't wait to get mine.

Skippy
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1214 on: February 21, 2023, 04:52:39 PM »
If they don’t get seat heights a bit lower, they will lose a LOT of potential sales. Or at least make it relatively easy to get factory components to lower it slightly.
800 mm should be the target figure, Joe Average will not want to drop that sort of money on something that he (or she) is concerned about dumping on it’s side in less than ideal conditions.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #1215 on: February 21, 2023, 05:13:16 PM »
motorcycle.com reports that three seats are available-low is 31 inch, standard at 32.1, and high at 32.9 inch.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1216 on: February 21, 2023, 05:34:04 PM »
motorcycle.com reports that three seats are available-low is 31 inch, standard at 32.1, and high at 32.9 inch.

Very similar to perhaps it's closest comp, the bmw 1250rs, only the Guzzi seat is a couple mm less!   The low seat option puts you at 787MM, will that work for you Huzo? :afro:
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1217 on: February 21, 2023, 05:38:22 PM »
I am really looking forward to seeing this bike in the flesh and can't wait to ride it. I am not buying into the argument that it isn't "Guzzi like" or "Guzzi enough" to be a Moto Guzzi. This is exactly what Moto Guzzi should have produced now if not ten years ago. Is this any less of a Guzzi as the fabled VA10 motor the factory was contemplating twenty some odd years ago? Do any of you know what that was? It was a strictly in house, Mandello design. The V100 hits the mark even better than that. The innovation packed into this bike is remarkable. The access to the clutch alone should be a point of celebration. Overhead cams! Awesome! All of the bemoaning that this bike isn't Guzzi enough is nonsense. This bike represents a well thought design that will carry the brand on for quite some time to come. When Piaggio set out to work on this they did so with a great reverence for what Moto Guzzi represents to the national pride of Italy and with respect of how it is to be received by the faithful Guzzista the world over. I say it is a well-executed design and I can't wait to get mine.

Skippy

I agree 100 %. well said Skippy

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1218 on: February 21, 2023, 05:51:07 PM »

I certainly wouldn’t (and didn’t) dispute any of that in relation to the design of the drivetrain, they did a good job on the engine and the long swing arm concept seems to work well with current short gearboxes.  Simpler than previous BMW or Guzzi efforts and on this bike (unlike the 60.2 inch wheel base V85TT) they didn't have compromise with a bevel drive Ducati-like overall length for the swing arm to be long enough to counter shaft jacking.

The V100 engine was BTW designed some time ago, but shelved until now.  Federico Martini started work on the engine sometime about 15 years ago, maybe a little less, and died in 2014.  And yes of course we remember the VA10 (I’ve been riding Guzzi sport bikes since 1987) and I also remember that it vibrated like the hammers of hell and was reportedly scrapped for that reason.  Just like the Piaggio 8V big block was a redo of the Centauro (née Daytona) engine for the Griso, the V100 engine is a much more extensive Piaggio redo of Guzzi’s VA10 effort, because the VA10 didn’t work.

My issue with the V100 is that it’s a bit ugly, both in overall shape and in its details, and doesn’t look at all Italian. It has that in common with most Aprilia chassis and bodywork designs and it has nothing to do with the drivetrain. It's none the less disappointing to me because they somehow forced themselves to do much better on the V85TT.

I guess it could have been worse, at least it doesn’t look like a KTM (KTM almost bought Guzzi instead of Aprilia in 2000)

PS the plural of Guzzista is Guzzisti
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 06:49:31 PM by Tusayan »

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #1219 on: February 22, 2023, 05:45:05 AM »
The drivelines are designed in Pontedera, the bikes themselves are designed by Aprilia in Noale.

The V85TT seemed to indicate a change in Piaggio philosophy in which Guzzi designs would better reflect what Guzzi is all about, and be less like the Japanese/scooter influenced designs that Aprilia sells. The V100 engine and driveline seem to me to match that direction, but the rest of the bike does not.  Squint and you see an older Tuono, complete with funny color choices IMHO.

Appearance is entirely subjective.  But yes, I agree with you on that subjective point.  I think the V100 is a pretty bike but is it gorgeous like a Griso?  Classic like other models?  I suppose many/some will view this as progress perhaps and I have read heaping helping bunch of praises in the press about its “modern” design as opposed to Guzzi’s typical retro fair.  Hope Guzzi sells a ton of them so they can go and then stick that engine in something else  :grin: :thumb:
2020 T120 Bonneville

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #1220 on: February 22, 2023, 07:40:58 AM »
My thoughts are that Guzzi is getting more serious about conquest sales.  In automotive circles, Guzzi's have always been the Saab's of the motorcycle realm.  There are 2 types of quirky: quirky fun and quirky just plain weird.  The Saab 900 had and still has their ardent followers that are as passionate about their cars as we are about our bikes, but to the mainstream, both car and bike are considered quirky.  Saab can provide us with a cautionary tale.  In the 80s-90s Saab brought out their 9000 series of cars.  These were much more mainstream (kept a few of the less weird quirks) than the iconic 900 series had been.  At the time, they aimed those cars right at the Germans.  For a while, it worked somewhat well as their miniscule market share ticked up a little.  Eventually, problems of scale forced them out of the market. 
Guzzi will still offer the air-cooled versions for the purists, but as with the Saab 9000, this new bike may be aimed at a different audience, also the Germans and this time the Japanese too. 
I am excited about seeing the new bike though I don't think it will be for me at this point.  May Guzzi have a better fate than Saab. 
Blue Guzz

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #1221 on: February 22, 2023, 08:54:55 AM »
Out of all of them I preferred my 96 a great deal over the subsequent models.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline 2WheelsUp

• Hatchling
« Reply #1222 on: February 22, 2023, 10:51:31 AM »
All nitpicking aside, I think MG did what it had to in order to stay alive and relevant. There are always things that could be done better but overall, it's an amazing leap forward that provides a path for years to come. It's going to be difficult to sell/support the V100 given the current state of their dealership network, at least in the US. At this point my interests lie more in vintage motorcycles, and I don't think I'll ever buy another new bike. That might change once I see and ride the V100, probably because I've ridden MGs forever and am loyal to the brand for all the reasons all of us are. However, attracting new MG riders away from competing manufacturers will be a huge challenge but at least there's some hope. The V100 is a very good development, I'm excited to ride one.
Bruce Swan
1978 Moto Guzzi Lemans
1975 Norton Commando
1997 Ducati 748
2001 Harley Davidson Road King
2017 Ducati 939 SS

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #1223 on: February 22, 2023, 12:34:54 PM »
If you have not seen one in the flesh, you may be surprised. Looks 10 x better in real life. To me the transverse engine says "GUZZI" loud and proud right out the front.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline Ed / AF1 Racing

• New Egg
« Reply #1224 on: February 22, 2023, 03:04:57 PM »
Got invoiced for a bunch of V100s yesterday, they are in the US warehouse now.  We just now have to wait on the shippers....been taking 2-4 weeks

All our pre-orders except one very late buyer, and all the Aviation Navales (coming summer) will get theirs on this first batch from us.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #1225 on: February 22, 2023, 03:39:12 PM »
Guzzi had beautiful color choices even before Aprilia.

Fixed that for you.    :thumb:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1226 on: February 22, 2023, 03:47:51 PM »
Very similar to perhaps it's closest comp, the bmw 1250rs, only the Guzzi seat is a couple mm less!   The low seat option puts you at 787MM, will that work for you Huzo? :afro:
That sounds good, yes.
But I’m not getting one.

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1227 on: February 22, 2023, 06:03:30 PM »
Huzo,  it's a pretty safe bet that you will have one within 2 years.
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1228 on: February 22, 2023, 09:15:29 PM »
Got invoiced for a bunch of V100s yesterday, they are in the US warehouse now.  We just now have to wait on the shippers....been taking 2-4 weeks

All our pre-orders except one very late buyer, and all the Aviation Navales (coming summer) will get theirs on this first batch from us.
Thank you for the update!  That sounds great-  I hope we hear back soon from the lucky buyers.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2020 R1250RS

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1229 on: February 22, 2023, 09:17:18 PM »
The first thing I'd do if I were to buy a V100 is strip the tacky gold paint off the valve covers,

Hold up....is that paint on the valve covers or are they magnesium alloy?  Honest question- I thought they were alloy.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2020 R1250RS

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here