Author Topic: Did you get to ride with your Dad ?  (Read 8460 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Did you get to ride with your Dad ?
« on: March 10, 2019, 06:01:37 PM »
Like most kids I got to go on some rides on the back with Dad.
In those days it was a T500 Suzuki and a couple of Honda’s.
There was a time when I was about 14 when we headed off on an ill planned trip to Ayers Rock, with minimal gear and probably not enough money. It became obvious when we were near Adelaide when the weather turned sour, that a rubberised ground sheet stretched between saplings, was not going to be enough to ensure my well being.
He rather skilfully got me to help with gathering up of underbrush and bushes to form a windbreak and dug a bit of a shallow trench in the sandy soil.
Once darkness fell and the fire was established, he could see that we needed better wood, so after some counselling on the pitfalls of becoming a thief, we stole a red gum post (as they were then) from beside the road and settled in.
It was about then that I felt the pull in two directions at once..
Do I sleep an acceptable distance away and freeze my arse off, or stay close and hope my mates don’t find out ?
I had no idea that Dad had thought this out before me and when I tried to sleep a couple of feet away but could not due to the cold, he dug out a depression next to himself and told me to come closer, I inwardly wanted to initially but as a young bloke felt a bit embarrassed...
He said my mates would not find out and reached out to shake my hand in the pitch dark to seal his word on the matter, I felt closer to him than ever, even before I moved across, and once he threw the ground sheet over me, the next thing I heard was the screaming of Kookaburras and Cockatoos on a beautiful Aussie morning.
I may be bullshitting myself here, but I know the bike was parked right beside us and with the rubberised cover over us both, I thought I could feel it’s warmth...probably not in reality.

We returned home that day and Dad saved for some proper gear...

He passed away in 1997 but I still see the place as I pass by in the truck or on the bike..
It feels the same on 34 wheels as it does on two, and I still love him for it.
Mum died 4 days ago and it was one of the last stories we recounted..
ps..
I realise in the current climate there are a hundred tasteless jokes that could be made given that I grew up in the same town as George Pell, and I’ll chuckle as much as anyone if there are any..
But we know it’s a different thing... :bow:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:56:30 PM by Huzo »

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
Re: Did you get to ride with your Dad ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 06:29:07 PM »
My dad (stepdad) did not believe motorcycles were safe. Death machines you know...   But he did co-sign for my second bike, I think to assure that I wouldn't have to drive his car or be on his insurance.
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 06:38:15 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Huzo.
So glad you got to retell that story with your mom before she passed.
Memories are indeed treasures.
Condolences.

inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline DC950

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 06:46:15 PM »
nope.   Mine stopped riding for 51 years.  He took the MSF course, aced it, and bought a Honda Rebel.  Unfortunately he got lung cancer and died before I could ride with him.

I've had some great rides with both of my sons, especially the 17 year old now that he can ride on the street.  I hope they appreciated it someday.
Motorcycles.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 06:46:15 PM »

Offline Bud

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 06:58:48 PM »
     Great story Huzo. My dad never rode but my oldest and youngest son do. My oldest and I started to go for weekend camping trips back in 06 and went to Nova Scotia for a week three years ago. My youngest son got a bike three years ago and I have been away a couple of weekends with him and with he and his brother together a couple of times as well.
     A good ride, a campfire and a few beers with your sons........doesn't get any better! 

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 07:18:56 PM »
No but my boys came up ridding with me as soon as they could walk.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 07:40:05 PM »
Nope. Dad was a mean tennis player and could paddle a canoe on a calm lake.

But he chauffeured us around Western Europe in 1960 in a new Beetle, probably the high point of my education, and subsidized many hare-brained adventures. He collaborated on the purchase by his sons of bicycles, sailboats and other good clean fun, and taught me to drive stick so I could tow those boats. But motorcycles were right out of it -- Mom's attitude was "If the bike doesn't kill you, I will."

70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Loop Tonti EV

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 07:47:22 PM »
I never remember a time when my dad didn't have a motorcycle. I was raised on them. I'm 66 and dad's 86 and we still ride together. His both Guzzis now have sidecars mounted. A 73 Eldorado and an 84 Convert. I have a picture of him on an Indian with a sidecar and my two brothers and myself in the sidecar. I'm about 4, my older brother is 5 and younger brother is 2. We made two trips together from eastern Pa to Arizona for the Prescott Rally. The last one we made was when he was 78. It's been a great life with him and I am so fortunate to have shared all this with him. He has been my best riding friend for years. My both brothers ride Guzzis as does my wife and our son. I could not ask for more.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 07:53:01 PM »
Thanks to those who offered condolences..
Mum said she was keen to see Dad again and I told her to be careful what she wished for..!
There is an upside though, where Dad went there is no need to light a fire, they burn for all eternity apparently.. :evil: :wink:

On a different matter but sort of connected..
When I gained my senior instructor rating in gliders, I would take Dad on cross countries in the Janus, or ASH 25.
He once asked if I felt encumbered by “ having to fly him around”... :rolleyes:
I drew the obvious comparison and recounted the above story, he made a nice comment regarding baton passing or similar..
I’m glad I was in the rear seat, I think we must have been near cloud base..
It all got a bit misty.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:54:12 PM by Huzo »

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 09:46:55 PM »
Nope. My dad never rode. He was into hunting, fishing and watching sports on TV.
North Carolina

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 12:00:19 AM »
Condolences Huzo on your mother's departing.  A sad time.

My mother didn't like motorbikes, my dad had one for a considerable period.  I think he gave them up when he and my mother married.

He did however, encourage me to get my first bike.  He always turned down my offer to take him for a ride sadly.

A generation on and my son rides with me when he can.  We have a 600 mile return trip planned for Easter.  Funnily enough, I am much more likely to do a solo mission than he is.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 12:28:39 AM »
Sorry for your loss Huzo.
My old man had a Vincent Black Shadow and a Sunbeam S8 sidecar rig in the 50's in the UK, but didn't take any interest in bikes after we came here to Aust in 1964. In fact he was busy working 4 jobs to put a roof over our heads so didn't take any interest in us kids either. No wonder I have no parenting skills.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 01:24:15 AM »
Sorry for your loss Huzo.
My old man had a Vincent Black Shadow and a Sunbeam S8 sidecar rig in the 50's in the UK, but didn't take any interest in bikes after we came here to Aust in 1964. In fact he was busy working 4 jobs to put a roof over our heads so didn't take any interest in us kids either. No wonder I have no parenting skills.
You’re an Aussie, you don’t need parenting skills..

Offline wyno

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 01:53:29 AM »
Sorry about you mum Huzo. My mum and my younger brother were with dad when he died. My brother told my mum to give dad a kiss before he died, so she kissed him and he died right then. She looked at us and said "how about that, the Kiss of the Spider Woman. (Old film reference)
My old man wasn't into bikes, and my mother didn't like them at all. I was very surprised when he offered to help bring my first bike home from the railway station in the trailer (I didn't have my license yet), and he didn't tell mum. He had a smile on his face when he saw the bike.
Wyno

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 02:06:23 AM »
Sorry about you mum Huzo. My mum and my younger brother were with dad when he died. My brother told my mum to give dad a kiss before he died, so she kissed him and he died right then. She looked at us and said "how about that, the Kiss of the Spider Woman. (Old film reference)
My old man wasn't into bikes, and my mother didn't like them at all. I was very surprised when he offered to help bring my first bike home from the railway station in the trailer (I didn't have my license yet), and he didn't tell mum. He had a smile on his face when he saw the bike.
Thanks Mick..

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 02:21:20 AM »
Sorry to hear your news H

My Dad rode bikes but got rid of them before I came along and never gave me any encouragement to ride.

In fact even with me WELL past 18, I still think the thinks I'm an idiot for riding one!

Fathers and sons don't always get it right but when we do (stepson in my case) it really is a special thing
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 03:09:06 AM »
Sorry to hear your news H

My Dad rode bikes but got rid of them before I came along and never gave me any encouragement to ride.

In fact even with me WELL past 18, I still think the thinks I'm an idiot for riding one!

Fathers and sons don't always get it right but when we do (stepson in my case) it really is a special thing
:thumb:

Offline kfz

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 03:37:03 AM »
I am fantastically lucky to be able to go out with my Dad and Son. Love and enjoy every minute of it. Emotional at times.

Pretty poor clip from the LM of the lad on the back of the auld fella's 1000's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyst3mGoF_M&t=53s

At the Pondorsa With Dad on V7, brother in law (Ducati) and my Lm.

Kev
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:48:43 AM by kfz »

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 06:23:16 AM »
My dad. My hero.

I remember as a real young kid riding pillion with him on his 1974 BMW everywhere. Then, when I got old enough I got my own bike, I continued to ride behind him, but on my own.  I can say I've ridden with him one way or another since I was probably 7 years old or so.  I'd venture to say I have 100K miles riding with him over the years. My Uncle, dad and I have covered most of the states together and lots of miles. I'll cherish those memories.

He's almost 78 now and doesn't ride anymore. He could if he wanted to, but he just don't want to anymore.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 06:31:13 AM »
Sorry about your Mom.  that really sucks... been there..:(

Great story, and something you will keep with you forever. Im the first gen rider in my family. Not really close to my dad, but wile he didnt ride, he could hunt, shoot, so I would have been well fed..  Grew up with my stepdad, and still not really close, but he was a old school racecar driver, and mechanical wiz.. Thats where my love of machinery comes from. I picked up motorcycles as a young adult after a childhood of mini bikes, and ATC's..  Never got the Dad stories though... I just try to be better with my kids.
Paul B

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 07:29:51 AM »
Nope. Dad was into boats and fishing. I got my first boat at age 7. Got into bikes on my own at age 20.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 07:32:46 AM »
Huzo, sorry to hear about your mom...

That said, thank you for sharing that story about your dad. Those stories are priceless.

Only riding I've ever done with my dad was when I was 2-3 years old going around the driveway, me sitting on the tank, of his old Honda CB450. The following winter, mice got under the side cover and chewed the wiring, it hasn't ran since, but it still turns over just fine. I'm planning a restoration of that old bike. But... my dad is now 75, headed for 76 this summer. His motorcycle riding days are likely done.

That said, I'm restoring that 82 Goldwing, and I know the perfect accessory. I'm going to mount a sidecar to the old beast. Then get him and mom to go for a ride...
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 07:39:22 AM »
 To my knowledge, no one in my family rode bikes ...I also had no friends who rode bikes ....

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 07:44:21 AM »
Thanks for the telling, Huzo.

Mom and Dad hated Murdercycles....but ...

At hospice he expressed how much of a mistake that was considering he had been a Navy pilot flying Corsairs on and off aircraft carriers at night....w a wife and four kids on the line......half his squadron died adjusting to the canted decks.... VC4 Blackcats

I did get to ride with him for day ......brought his ashes with me tucked into the saddlebag on the Cal3FF, his favorite..

My daughter has the skill, but not the need.

Thanks again!
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 08:27:38 AM »
I hear you, Chuck.  My father had a 1935 Harley-Davidson 74 when he was in the Army Air Corps during the war, so he had previous experience when I got my '72 H2 in 1978.  When he retired about then, he bought a couple motorcycles to fix up and sell, thinking it might be a fun retirement hobby.   We rode a little together when he had an H1, and then a mid sized Suzuki 4-stroke.

When we had him cremated in 2016, I rode my Mille to get his ashes and bring them home.  About all I could think about was how strange and sad it was to have ridden with him back in the late '70s, and now be carrying him home on the back of the motorcycle with me.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:29:18 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline bikelee

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 09:02:58 AM »
 :cool: I rode on the back of my dad's 1961 Panhead. That started my motorcycle sickness. I'm loving every minute of it !!  :boozing:

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 09:26:20 AM »
Dad was a despatch rider for the CDN army, rode TRW500s.

When I was a hair under 2 years old, he bought a '72 CB350 that some kid rode from California to Whitehorse, for $200. I grew up staring at that thing, and bouncing down fireroads and gravel backroads behind him, until he bought me a XL80S in 1981. He sold the 350 in the early 90s.

But I found it in the early 2000s. Same bike, numbers verified against old reg papers, I bought it... for $200. Still own it. Will never sell it.

Dad's still alive, but he fought off cancer 15 years ago, and is currently recovering from G.B.S. I don't know if he'll ride again, but I'm working on getting my CL90 back on the road, so if he comes to visit us, he can putt around on it.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 09:41:48 AM »
Truly sorry for your loss, Huzo.  My Dad was an amateur flat track and motocross racer around the time I was born.  He purchased a '74 CB750 from my Uncle and would transport my older brother and I around on it with me on the tank and brother on pillion, often on the highway.  Brother and I are hooked pretty bad, but Dad hung it up more than thirty years ago after getting tired of commuting on the old CB in South Houston traffic.  He came up for a visit last year, and I had planned a dirt bike day for family and friends at my Uncle's farm so he could watch his grandsons ride, relax, and shoot the breeze with my buddies... one of which brought his identical to my Dad's '74 CB750 in Flake Sunrise Orange.  Half joking, I told my Dad that if he felt so inclined, he was welcome to ride my Yamaha TW200 around the course.  He said, "I thought you'd never ask!"  I handed him my helmet and after what was probably close to 35 years since he rode that CB, and at 75 years old (I know, I know!), he did three laps of our 1/2 mile dirt course.  Awesome.
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 09:51:52 AM »
Truly sorry for your loss, Huzo.  My Dad was an amateur flat track and motocross racer around the time I was born.  He purchased a '74 CB750 from my Uncle and would transport my older brother and I around on it with me on the tank and brother on pillion, often on the highway.  Brother and I are hooked pretty bad, but Dad hung it up more than thirty years ago after getting tired of commuting on the old CB in South Houston traffic.  He came up for a visit last year, and I had planned a dirt bike day for family and friends at my Uncle's farm so he could watch his grandsons ride, relax, and shoot the breeze with my buddies... one of which brought his identical to my Dad's '74 CB750 in Flake Sunrise Orange.  Half joking, I told my Dad that if he felt so inclined, he was welcome to ride my Yamaha TW200 around the course.  He said, "I thought you'd never ask!"  I handed him my helmet and after what was probably close to 35 years since he rode that CB, and at 75 years old (I know, I know!), he did three laps of our 1/2 mile dirt course.  Awesome.

The TW200 is first on my "next bike" list. I have to have one.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 11:31:44 AM »

Thats awesome man!!  Boys never grow up, and its always fun to play in the dirt!!!
Paul B

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here