Author Topic: Thoughts?? Strada/SPIII PHF36 Jets EU vs USA  (Read 2414 times)

Offline 93spada

• Hatchling
Thoughts?? Strada/SPIII PHF36 Jets EU vs USA
« on: February 24, 2017, 06:28:46 AM »
Hi Folks,
A continuing discussion between my brother and I and we have not come up with a good answer for the jetting on SPIII/Strada.
See link.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/workshop_manual_strada-1000_it_en.pdf

Question?
Did the EU version of either have the exhaust expansion chamber?
With the better? EU specs, did the factory tune it with the expansion chamber or a straight crossover.
How much performance gain will I get, if any, if I change it to the EU specs??
Thanks again.
PJM

PJM

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Thoughts?? Strada/SPIII PHF36 Jets EU vs USA
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 08:46:42 AM »
Excerpt from maintenance log a few years ago:
2.2.11   31217 Fixed connector on kill switch relay. Rejetted carbs. Original setup: K27 needle with clip on 3rd notch. 5mm cutaway. Idle jet 55 main jet 130 needle jet 261AB. Changed to: K18 needle with clip on 3rd notch, idle jet 50, main jet 142, needle jet 268AB. If mileage suffers, Charles from LC says he’s running the same setup with 52 idle, stock 130 main, 6mm cutaway.

Yes, it made a difference, especially in the mid range.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 10:02:53 AM »
We put about 60,000 miles on our SP III with stock everything. I never felt the need to alter carburation nor exhaust as it ran great and got fantastic mileage. I once averaged 72 mpg traveling the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway. That mid-valve motor was really well suited to the platform. The only issue I ever had was with the magnetic pick-up for the ignition which needed to be cleaned periodically as it would get fouled. Once I figured out what was causing it to run rough I just made it part of my regular maintenance. IMHO, if it ain't broke.......
Steve M

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 01:51:13 PM »
Mine was quite lean until I changed the jetting. Mileage dropped from low 50s to low 40s after rejetting. It ran a lot better, especially in the midrange.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 01:51:13 PM »

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 03:09:21 PM »
I am running standard Euro settings and my bike starts easily whether it is 30 or -10 degrees C.
Consumption is as Chuck quoted.
Performance? Sorry but this is not the bike for improving by just tweaking the carbs.
Valtek timing chain tensioner, quality Electronic ignition with bobbin coils, remove heads and K line valve guides and reseat or replace valves as necessary and replace the rings while you're there for good measure, my end gaps were stupid big after 75k kms.
I have a full Mistral exhaust which sounds glorious and the bike runs fine but it will NEVER win the red light derby, your are pushing almost 300kg with approx 60hp at best with the frontal area of a D9 bulldozer :shocked:
When riding keep the donk spinning >3500 RPM it will reward you :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

Adam
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Offline 93spada

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 07:20:13 AM »
Excerpt from maintenance log a few years ago:
2.2.11   31217 Fixed connector on kill switch relay. Rejetted carbs. Original setup: K27 needle with clip on 3rd notch. 5mm cutaway. Idle jet 55 main jet 130 needle jet 261AB. Changed to: K18 needle with clip on 3rd notch, idle jet 50, main jet 142, needle jet 268AB. If mileage suffers, Charles from LC says he’s running the same setup with 52 idle, stock 130 main, 6mm cutaway.

Yes, it made a difference, especially in the mid range.

Thanks
We figured that it was a de-tune to lean it out to meet US emissions. Did it have the expansion chamber?? or the straight crossover?
PJM

Offline 93spada

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 07:32:48 AM »
We put about 60,000 miles on our SP III with stock everything. I never felt the need to alter carburation nor exhaust as it ran great and got fantastic mileage. I once averaged 72 mpg traveling the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway. That mid-valve motor was really well suited to the platform. The only issue I ever had was with the magnetic pick-up for the ignition which needed to be cleaned periodically as it would get fouled. Once I figured out what was causing it to run rough I just made it part of my regular maintenance. IMHO, if it ain't broke.......
Steve M

Thanks
The PO changed the exhaust to a straight crossover. That is the only modification. I too have to keep an eye on the sensor.
I normally run at 3500 rpm, occasionally up to 6500. very seldom ring it out. I usually get 55mpg avg on the stock jetting.
PJM

Offline 93spada

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 07:46:25 AM »
I am running standard Euro settings and my bike starts easily whether it is 30 or -10 degrees C.
Consumption is as Chuck quoted.
Performance? Sorry but this is not the bike for improving by just tweaking the carbs.
Valtek timing chain tensioner, quality Electronic ignition with bobbin coils, remove heads and K line valve guides and reseat or replace valves as necessary and replace the rings while you're there for good measure, my end gaps were stupid big after 75k kms.
I have a full Mistral exhaust which sounds glorious and the bike runs fine but it will NEVER win the red light derby, your are pushing almost 300kg with approx 60hp at best with the frontal area of a D9 bulldozer :shocked:
When riding keep the donk spinning >3500 RPM it will reward you :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

Adam

Thanks
Does yours have the expansion chamber? or a straight crossover? I have just put in a new timing chain and the banana tensioner. The rest is stock but the crossover. It occasionally starts hard when warm. Maybe the new chain will fix.
I am very happy with the performance. That being said...... I don't borrow other peoples equipment so this is the only bike I've really ridden in 10 yrs (other than a dealer test ride on a new Ducati Scrambler) so I don't know any different. Again....I love the bike!!!
PJM

Offline 93spada

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 07:57:08 AM »
Mine was quite lean until I changed the jetting. Mileage dropped from low 50s to low 40s after rejetting. It ran a lot better, especially in the midrange.

Thanks
That is quite a big drop in mpg! Mine is a touch lean.
Part of the issue is that here in upstate NY we have good access to 91oct NO ethanol fuel. Riding in the back road Appalachians where we like to go that is very scares. We end up with weasel piss fuel with who know how much alcohol.
PJM

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 08:06:14 AM »
That is quite a big drop in mpg!

I've read the jetting specs and heard the comments on performance, and chose to keep my Mille's jetting stock for that very reason.  I like not getting to reserve until I've gone 275-300 miles.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 08:20:10 AM »
Thanks
We figured that it was a de-tune to lean it out to meet US emissions. Did it have the expansion chamber?? or the straight crossover?
I had previously gone to a straight crossover before the jetting changes. It made it a touch leaner.. that's when I decided to rejet.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline 93spada

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 08:22:50 AM »
Hi Again
Our discussion has been merely academic and I thought this would be a good place to get input.
My ultimate goal is to get it to run the best it can with out breaking the bank. I have the stock crossover on the shelf and was wondering if putting it on would help.

Did the Euro version come with the expansion/resonating crossover? My guess is YES.

Soooo.....To change to the Euro jetting, to get the most out of it, I would have to put the expansion/resonating crossover back on.
I am very happy with the "power of the mighty Guzzi" (all 71 claimed hp).
This has just been shop talk over cocktails.
PJM

PJM

Offline 93spada

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 08:28:17 AM »
I've read the jetting specs and heard the comments on performance, and chose to keep my Mille's jetting stock for that very reason.  I like not getting to reserve until I've gone 275-300 miles.

I agree. I like the 300 miles. most of the guys I ride with have to refill at about 200 miles.
PJM

Offline 93spada

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 08:31:30 AM »
I had previously gone to a straight crossover before the jetting changes. It made it a touch leaner.. that's when I decided to rejet.

I have the jets on MG "save for later". Still debating with myself.
Ill see when I get done with the timing chain and some seals and get back on the road.
PJM

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »
Thanks
Does yours have the expansion chamber? or a straight crossover? I have just put in a new timing chain and the banana tensioner. The rest is stock but the crossover. It occasionally starts hard when warm. Maybe the new chain will fix.
I am very happy with the performance. That being said...... I don't borrow other peoples equipment so this is the only bike I've really ridden in 10 yrs (other than a dealer test ride on a new Ducati Scrambler) so I don't know any different. Again....I love the bike!!!

Mine came with the chamber BUT it had been opened and welded back together. I trashed it due to rust and the straight X-over makes for easy trans oil changes.
The mileage I quote is as a daily rider through following traffic. It's been consistent the 10 years I've had it except for at the very end of the valve guides and rings. I cannot attest to the abuse the bike suffered before I bought it at 30000 kms. Today it has 89000kms :thumb:
There are multiple previous owners who have stated they wish they had never sold their SPIII. I've been lusting after a Norge for the past 3-4 years but that SPIII is just so user friendly and dead easy to work on.
I have just rebuilt the front bitubo shock cartridges. I was in a hurry and didn't document this but it truly transformed the bike. I think I can go down from 7.5 to 5 weight as it feels a tad overdamped when the tank is below half. During the summer I will use stanchions from a Cali 1100 and machine my tubes for the bushes. This should help greatly. I will document so watch this space.
I have a complete fairing I am restoring and will change colour to a bright red, another project for this summer. I dropped it at slow speed the other week due to sand and my own stupidity, I am talking walking pace. It's my second time down at slow speed, the first was ice at an intersection, so the fairing is looking pretty ratty. The chin fairing has a skunk stripe of white where the paint has just been sand blasted off. Did I mention I ride year round :bike-037: as long as there isn't ice.
The seat vinyl just split a few weeks back so that needs replacing.
All in all I've modded my SPIII to suite my needs and I love it. It is butt ugly but purposeful and that fairing protection is a must for the wet cold months. She's a keeper :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 01:23:12 PM »
If mileage suffers, Charles from LC says he�s running the same setup with 52 idle, stock 130 main, 6mm cutaway.

This is what I had in my SPIII with LaFranconi's and a non-stock crossover. I would always get upper 40's-to low 50's mpg. I have the same setup on my 1000S(same engine) with similar mileage.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline 93spada

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 01:26:24 PM »

Thanks for the input!
Here is mine last summer. Notice the pic is of the left side. I did an almost going drop on the right side. The faring is at the glass mans getting the rash fixed along with small cracks etc. I'm still debating Tenni Green.
I got mine with about 40K miles. did some top end work at 55K miles. Doing some bottom end work now at 77K miles. My forks are the "Guzzi" adjustable Bitubos. I may need some work on them as I saw some clear fluid at the adjusting nut last summer.
My Brother has a Norge and loves it. He likes to lead and it is work to keep up.
All in all I will probably die owning my SP3. It has been bullet proof.
Paul
PJM

Offline 93spada

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 01:30:58 PM »
This is what I had in my SPIII with LaFranconi's and a non-stock crossover. I would always get upper 40's-to low 50's mpg. I have the same setup on my 1000S(same engine) with similar mileage.

Thanks
I just had a major $150 ooops with my main bearing flange.
That is going to delay any thought of much jetting changes.
Paul
PJM

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here