Author Topic: V85 TT Merged Threadfest  (Read 357104 times)

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: V85 TT Merged Threadfest
« Reply #2730 on: March 03, 2023, 07:47:57 AM »
Seth Laam can make a great Guzzi seat.

http://www.laamseats.com/
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #2731 on: March 03, 2023, 10:50:45 AM »
That corbin looks good but as another poster listed, our model isnt listed on their site yet. I wonder how much for them to make another one?

Corbin says to contact their sales team for quotes on custom work on your own seat base.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2732 on: March 03, 2023, 11:27:30 AM »
Seth Laam can make a great Guzzi seat.

http://www.laamseats.com/
Thanks for this referral. He is only 2.5 hours away. When I was considering a T120 Bonneville I thought the first thing I would have to do is something about the seat. It has turned out to not be so bad, actually decent but it could be better. I may just check them out.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2733 on: March 03, 2023, 11:37:00 AM »
At 6'2 and also a 34" inseam, I have the stock seat and a gel pad which may add 1/2 and inch or less and its fine. I think watching videos are fine but use your best judgment once you ride the bike. I had an Indian FTR1200 and was extremely cramped, the V85tt stock seat is fine. If I could find a sargent/corbin/rdl I may try it out of curiosity.

I rode my prior v85tt about 11k in 1 yr and had riding concerns, peg scraping or other issues as listed

Ride and enjoy it and also the minimal maintainence it requires!

I rode a friend's FTR 1200.  I didn't find it cramp but then again I wasn't riding in a straight line.  Too occupied with the hairpins and tight turns.  A fun bike that I did consider buying.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #2733 on: March 03, 2023, 11:37:00 AM »

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR on V85TT
« Reply #2734 on: March 13, 2023, 08:06:24 PM »
Wheels are cleaned and double sealed with marine sealant and 3M tape. yes, I waited for th sealant to fully cure before taping.

Waiting for the correct valve stems to arrive - damn 8mm rim holes. Will spoon on the Pirellis once they arrive and see if it holds air.

Completed the project. 2 days in and no air loss. Surprisingly I had a tougher time mounting the front tire than rear. Probably didn't use enough soap on the tire. They look good on the V85 - looking forward to breaking them in and seeing how they do off-road.

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Online Clifton

• No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.
  • Gosling
« Reply #2735 on: March 13, 2023, 08:12:45 PM »
I have those Perilli's on the Tenere and like them and was just wondering today when the Anakee's need replaced on the V85 whether to go with Anakees again or STR's? I like them both so maybe which ones are available.
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Offline VStarRider

• New Egg
« Reply #2736 on: March 17, 2023, 08:19:54 PM »
Update:

I bought a V85TT!

I test sat a VStrom 1050, Pan America and the V85. As soon as I sat on the Guzzi, I knew I wanted it. I can tell when a bike fits me right almost immediately. My rider triangle was good, the clutch and brake felt great, and the seat was awesome - particularly that little lumbar bump which makes a significant difference.

Someone in another forum made a great point - I listed all the bikes on my short list and it was noted that you cannot go wrong with any of them, so pick the one that fits best! So I did!

I got the Centenario trim, which comes with solid luggage and I’m having the dealer add heated grips to it. I made add the fog lights myself. I’ll pick it up once the grips are installed.

Thanks for all the insight on the forum - I’ll be a regular here now.

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2737 on: March 17, 2023, 09:06:55 PM »
Congrats and enjoy and feel free to complain and moan and groan with the rest of us.
Blue Guzz

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2738 on: March 21, 2023, 05:19:18 PM »
Used V85s will be the hot ticket for a while.  I was at Cadre to ride the V100 and a fellow was taking delivery of a pristine 6,000 mile example and they  had recently sold a nearly new Travel model last week.  This keeps him in business, I am stoked.  BTW, I don't think he will be getting my used V85 to sell.
Blue Guzz

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2739 on: March 21, 2023, 05:53:11 PM »
If you don’t ask a million questions, then you’re not serious.

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2740 on: March 28, 2023, 03:49:11 PM »
One of the few disappointments with the 2020 year V85TT has been the tube rims.  No more for me.  Cadre had an extra set of tubeless original rims, so I just picked them up with new Michelins on 'em and will start the season with a plug kit, fresh rubber and a lot less concern when far from home.  it was an easy choice once I decided that the V100 was not in the cards for me, at least this year.
Blue Guzz

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2741 on: March 29, 2023, 09:09:51 AM »
One of the few disappointments with the 2020 year V85TT has been the tube rims.  No more for me.  Cadre had an extra set of tubeless original rims, so I just picked them up with new Michelins on 'em and will start the season with a plug kit, fresh rubber and a lot less concern when far from home.  it was an easy choice once I decided that the V100 was not in the cards for me, at least this year.

Agree about the tube wheels but in all my years using them I rarely had a puncture. Rather than getting new tubeless wheels for my 2020 I went the route of sealing the ones I have. 2-weeks in and they're still holding air just fine. Once I'm convinced they'll hold up I'll remove the tubes and tire irons from my toolkit and replace them with a plug kit. Will also apply the Sahara tire sealant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1_QGtn0VA
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 09:13:09 AM by egschade »
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2742 on: March 29, 2023, 09:26:12 AM »
Eg:

I agree that punctures are rare.  I have had only 3 is 42 years of riding.  However, it is also about how the tire behaves when the tube pops and it can be very abrupt and possibly dangerous at highway speed.  Nothing is guaranteed, but tubeless tires generally deflate gradually.  I carry my wheels in to the shop for tire changes and did not want to put them in the position of denying me tire mounting because of the liability of the fact that I sealed the rims myself.  For me, it cost a bit more, but not too much since they already had the rims and were offered at a good discount, but I am very satisfied all around.  I still love the bike and more so now.  Can't wait for consistent warm weather to arrive.
Blue Guzz

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2743 on: March 29, 2023, 09:40:25 AM »
In many years of riding I’d only had one tube-type wheel flat tire on the road (in the early 90s) until buying my 2020 V85TT.  I then had another on my first long ride, wife on the back and miles from anywhere (no cell coverage) and without a spare tube.  It wiggled around a lot but I got it stopped without incident, then had plenty of time to ponder the situation.  Maybe the universe was trying to tell me something.  After the trip I bought a set of 2021 tubeless wheels for that bike, figuring it’s for touring mostly and I didn’t want a repeat performance.

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2744 on: March 29, 2023, 11:25:15 AM »
I have had a few deflations with tubeless tires and have not had one I could not plug. fingers crossed for the future.
Blue Guzz

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #2745 on: March 29, 2023, 11:34:49 AM »
I have a 2020 V 85.  Sealed the rims prior to a  long ride out west.  On the last day of a 2700 mile ride, the rear failed, fortunately close to our end point. As soon as the tubeless became available I bought a set through Cadre.   I know many folks have sealed their rims with good results but I always knew as soon as the tubeless were available I would do the switch. Great peace of mind and worth every penny.

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2746 on: March 29, 2023, 12:09:47 PM »
AF1 sells the tubeless wheels and it's about $1100 + shipping for the set w/ all misc bits. What did Cadre charge?
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #2747 on: March 29, 2023, 12:53:38 PM »
Same

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #2748 on: March 29, 2023, 12:55:13 PM »
It's been about 1 1/2 yrs but I think I paid around $1100.00 total.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2749 on: March 29, 2023, 01:56:10 PM »
Well…
If you’ve got tubeless wheels and you cannot fix the leak with plugs and you’ve just used your last CO2 container, you’re gunna’ wish you had tubes because a new one will fix it.
If you’ve got tubed wheels and you were too stupid to have a spare in a remote location, you’ll wish you had tubeless.
We all want what we don’t have when in trouble…

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2750 on: March 29, 2023, 02:09:29 PM »
Typically a nail or screw in a tubeless tire will create a slow leak, providing time to ride the bike to a better location for repair.  In Europe I carry a 12V powered compressor on the bike to make that even more practical.  It's a much better situation than with tube type tires, avoiding the necessity to look and act like a monkey on the side of the road.

Carrying tire irons on the bike is not something I'm going to do, not least because I'm unwilling to damage the rims wielding them on the side of the road.  Mine are not dirt bikes and the tires neither unseat or reseat easily, a tire machine is much better.  I have two remaining bikes with tube type tires, both with virtually irreplaceable wheels, and my preferred solution in the highly unlikely event of getting a flat in the few hundred miles a year they're ridden involves AAA 'plus RV' membership that'll collect me and them for free.   The others including the V85TT can in almost every instance be ridden for repair.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 02:28:10 PM by Tusayan »

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2751 on: March 29, 2023, 03:40:49 PM »
Eg:  I can't remember the reason these were on sale, possibly someone ordered them and didn't pick up.  I made a package deal with new tires and 90 degree valve stems, but don't really want to reveal their prices except to say less than $1,000.
Blue Guzz

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2752 on: March 29, 2023, 06:23:33 PM »
I have a 2020 V 85.  Sealed the rims prior to a  long ride out west.  On the last day of a 2700 mile ride, the rear failed, fortunately close to our end point. As soon as the tubeless became available I bought a set through Cadre.   I know many folks have sealed their rims with good results but I always knew as soon as the tubeless were available I would do the switch. Great peace of mind and worth every penny.

Did you determine what failed? Mine are double sealed w/ marine sealant and 3M super tape. Also used a touch of sealant on the valve stem gasket.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #2753 on: March 29, 2023, 08:11:30 PM »
I did not.  It was a mystery.  I had zero psi in the tire when I arrived at my destination.  I aired it back up and loaded it into
the van for the haul back from Colorado to Ohio. There were no holes and the valve stem was fine.  I checked with soapy water and no leaks.  It held air in the van trip home and when I got back my tubeless wheels were available so I took them to a local dealer to dismount the tires and remount onto the new tubeless wheels.  I wasn't around at the shop to inspect the inside of the rear wheel.  I really didn't care.  I had the permanent fix and for me one less
thing to worry about.  By the way, I carry a very good quality air pump and plug kit.

Offline Hookalatch

• New Egg
« Reply #2754 on: April 04, 2023, 06:14:19 PM »
Its taken me several days but I have read my way through the entire thread to this point.
There has been so much good information I don't have any questions at this point.
The enthusiasm of the owners here is pretty special. 
I am wavering about taking a test ride partly due to a long distance and only a 5-8 minute ride.
More so because for me, going to look at a new bike is like going to look at a new puppy.
Very hard to come home without one.  But it means one of the other loved "dogs" in the garage would have to go.
At least that is what the wife says.

Chuck

Online KiowaEagle

• New Egg
« Reply #2755 on: April 05, 2023, 07:50:59 AM »
Its taken me several days but I have read my way through the entire thread to this point.
There has been so much good information I don't have any questions at this point.
The enthusiasm of the owners here is pretty special. 
I am wavering about taking a test ride partly due to a long distance and only a 5-8 minute ride.
More so because for me, going to look at a new bike is like going to look at a new puppy.
Very hard to come home without one.  But it means one of the other loved "dogs" in the garage would have to go.
At least that is what the wife says.

Chuck

Yea my wife used to talk a lot too.

Err...I meant ex-wife  :grin:
2021 V85tt
2020 1400GTR
2014 CB1100DLX
2015 Norge

Online Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #2756 on: April 05, 2023, 07:48:53 PM »
I was out for a good ride today 2022 Travel, 82 degrees and the heat from the Cat was very noticeable almost uncomfortable at times, it’s the first time I rode in those temps being I bought the bike last November, I’m assuming others have experienced the same ? By the way I stopped at the Guzzi dealer to look around and the Blue 2023 V85tt in Blue looks really Good In person, didn’t care for it in the pics online, also got a good look at the v100 mandello. Very Sharp !!!
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2757 on: April 06, 2023, 06:13:57 AM »
Although I pained me to do so, I went with the Cat eliminator pipe as have many others in the group who have the Euro 4 bikes (2020 models).  On the newer models, the entire system would need to be replaced to do the same.  Another very popular add-on is the center stand.
Blue Guzz

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2758 on: April 06, 2023, 02:49:11 PM »
Has anybody got any time on a shock factory M shock? They have one with a height adjuster that can drop the rear by as much as an inch. That would let me put the rubbers back under the seat to relieve the old knees and get me a bit closer to a safer feet down height. It should improve the ride a bit too.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2759 on: April 07, 2023, 09:21:37 AM »
Has anybody got any time on a shock factory M shock? They have one with a height adjuster that can drop the rear by as much as an inch. That would let me put the rubbers back under the seat to relieve the old knees and get me a bit closer to a safer feet down height. It should improve the ride a bit too.

Have you considered removing the rubber inserts from the footpegs? That'll get you a little more legroom.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here