Author Topic: MGNOC National Rally in NH 2021  (Read 21701 times)

Offline bad Chad

• Guzzi Hero
Re: MGNOC National Rally in NH 2021
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2021, 06:17:22 PM »
At least, I admit it as opposed to you.  You act like a troll and post like a troll.....must be a troll.   :grin: :grin: :grin:

I understand Tom.  It must be difficult trying to be a big fish, in a small pond.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Joliet Jim

• Guzzi Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2021, 07:55:48 PM »
At least, I admit it as opposed to you.  You act like a troll and post like a troll.....must be a troll.   :grin: :grin: :grin:

He does kind of look like Shrek in poor lighting.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline JohninVT

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2021, 06:37:28 AM »
I live in Dover, south of Conway and south east of Laconia. My go-to route to Conway is often Rt 153, also listed as a Best-Of route by New England Riders (NER). It’s the route I have boxed in the attached pic. Scenic and often not busy at all. Definitely worth doing if for no other reason than avoiding boring, dangerous freeways.

Here’s NER’s list of BONE routes (Best of New England) in NH:

https://www.newenglandriders.org/b-o-n-e/?locale=New+Hampshire

Normally, yes...but the Guzzi rally is overlapping Laconia Bike Week and every road on your map will be packed with Harley’s going 5mph under the speed limit, holding up traffic.  I realize people are traveling from around the country and might want to hit things like Mt. Washington and the Kancamangus but this is literally the worst week of the year to do it.  Central NH will be infested with 100,000 leather vest wearing dentists.  The nice thing about Keene is that you can run out Route 10 to check out the windmills in Lempster or head West and be in Vermont in 20 minutes.  The fire tower on Pitcher Mt. is a half hour ride away.  The Madame Sherri House in Chesterfield is a half hour.  Keene is right on Rte 9 so tens of thousands of bikes will be rolling through but you can avoid a lot of the chaos if you stay away from any road connected in some way to the direction to and from Laconia. 

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Guzzi Mentor
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2021, 07:24:20 AM »
Normally, yes...but the Guzzi rally is overlapping Laconia Bike Week and every road on your map will be packed with Harley’s going 5mph under the speed limit, holding up traffic.

I’ll meet you halfway in agreement. I’ve ridden this route during bike week, and you’re correct. The Harleys will certainly be out. And the particular route I mentioned has its share of towns with lobster shacks and taverns that will be busy enough with them. I forgot about the timing, but I’ve still enjoyed the route. Just go in the morning when they’re hung over ;)

I’ve also ridden the Kanc during bike week, and while I do get annoyed by those not going the same exact speed that I prefer—grumbling at those who fly up behind me and eye-rolling at those ahead of me going 7km/h under the speed limit—the view is worth it. If you have the bandwidth, avoid Saturday and Sunday, or at least try to go in the a.m.

And if you’re looking for a good mountain hike, Mt. Major is 2 hours away. It’s usually busy, but has fantastic views of Lake Winnipesaukee, like this:

And here’s a view of some of the Whites (from Mt. Cannon, specifically):

Here’s the Flume Gorge, within the Whites:

Keene to the Whites is over 2 hours, so if not doable, Mount Monadnock is 30 minutes to the southeast:

Anyone traveling through Vermont and wants to pay respect to Ben & Jerry’s fallen flavors (along with their fantastic mountain roads):

« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 08:09:58 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi

« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2021, 07:24:20 AM »

Offline egschade

• Guzzi Hero
  • You can also find me on mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2021, 12:07:27 PM »
For those who don’t mind being a little farther from the fairgrounds...keep in mind that VT and NH have thousands of small businesses, inns and B&B’s that have been crushed by - restrictions and would LOVE your patronage.  The chain hotels don’t care...our small businesses do and appreciate your hard earned money. 

I certainly don’t want to step on any toes regarding organized rides but I live less than 20 miles from Keene and know the roads from here to the Kanc like the back of my hand.  I’d be happy to show anyone some great paved or unpaved routes.  It would be a great time to hit the Puppy Dog Trail for those on scramblers or V85TT’s.

I went with the Tartan Fox B&B which is closer and cheaper than the Keene hotels http://www.tartanfox.com/
The elder Eric in NJ
2020 V85TT Adventure

Past Guzzis:
V7 III
Griso 1200SE
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline gerryp

• Weekend Warrior
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2021, 12:43:54 AM »

"Quote from: JohninVT on February 02, 2021, 04:56:23 PM
For those who don’t mind being a little farther from the fairgrounds...keep in mind that VT and NH have thousands of small businesses, inns and B&B’s that have been crushed by - restrictions and would LOVE your patronage.  The chain hotels don’t care...our small businesses do and appreciate your hard earned money. "

I went with the Tartan Fox B&B which is closer and cheaper than the Keene hotels http://www.tartanfox.com/

Likewise I'm back at the Bridges Inn at Whitcomb House B&B where I had previously stayed for the 2015 National and a Randy's Rally.

Gerry

2015 Guzzi V7 Stone - Gloss Red

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Guzzi Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
    • King of Fleece LLC SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2021, 01:02:02 PM »
THX very much for the heads up on the local B and B's.  I switched from the chain hotel to a local guy-Tarten  Fox B and B just minutes from the fairgrounds.  Ride on!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 10:45:55 AM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Tom

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2021, 05:52:30 PM »
I understand Tom.  It must be difficult trying to be a big fish, in a small pond.

Hey....you must find it hard being stupid amongst smart people.   :grin: :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Cam3512

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2021, 06:02:30 PM »
Trust me, I now lean heavily towards a nice hotel room with a bed and shower.  If available, a bunk or cabin.  But at a rally like this, you miss a lot of after hours fun.  Crawling back to your tent with a sleeping bag, thin pad and jacket for a pillow is worth it.

That’s when the “fun” happens.
Cam - NJ Rep MGNOC
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Tom

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2021, 06:04:19 PM »
Very true.   :thumb: 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Guzzi Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2021, 06:53:53 PM »
If I had a soft warm bed to be in, I would be in it by 9 o’clock. Staying at the fairgrounds where it’s going on.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline Bulldog9

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2021, 10:04:05 PM »
I'll be camping, but if I end up taking the Stornello would be interested in an rides exploring gravel and non Harley infested roads.
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2007 GRiSO, 2016 Stornello #742, 2008 1200 Sport
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT,  In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF (134K miles and going)

Offline gerryp

• Weekend Warrior
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2021, 06:19:22 AM »
THX very much for the heads up on the local B and B's.  I switched from the chain hotel to a local guy-Traten B and B just minutes from the fairgrounds.  Ride one!

Jim,

Totally not familiar with that one as it's never come up on any search in that area.

Gerry

Offline s1120

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2021, 08:23:02 AM »
Trust me, I now lean heavily towards a nice hotel room with a bed and shower.  If available, a bunk or cabin.  But at a rally like this, you miss a lot of after hours fun.  Crawling back to your tent with a sleeping bag, thin pad and jacket for a pillow is worth it.

Thats my thoughts. Granted some is just dealing with my social anxiety, but Ive found staying somewhere else kinda makes it seem like you have missed something..  An outsider...  Again mostly in my head, but here we are. :)
Paul B

Offline kingoffleece

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2021, 10:47:00 AM »

Offline egschade

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2021, 11:58:33 AM »

I hear you but will trade some "fun" for being able to stand and walk the next morning. My back demands a bed!
The elder Eric in NJ
2020 V85TT Adventure

Past Guzzis:
V7 III
Griso 1200SE
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Snowman

• New Goose
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2021, 01:21:51 PM »
At my last MG rally, I camped and the fun went on until day break. The loud drunk lady could be heard 150 yards from the camp fire. I am a recent convert to camp fire socializing and then a nice quiet hotel room, a few miles away. Ahhhhhhhh, zzz zzz zzz
1993 BMW K1100LT
1985 BMW K100RS Turbo
1986 Suzuki GSXR750
1987 Suzuki GSXR50

Offline gerryp

• Weekend Warrior
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2021, 01:45:14 PM »
http://www.tartanfox.com/

Gerry-THIS

Ok now I know which one you're talking about.  I believe Eric (eggshade) is staying there.

I've stayed multiple times at Bridges so it was natural to go back there.  too bad we are not all together.

Gerry

Online Tom

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2021, 06:18:17 PM »
Bump.

Offline GuzziPilot

• Weekend Warrior
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2021, 09:57:50 PM »
Holy Moly!

This Wonderful! I gapped all of 2020....one bike is battery dead the other was down for a couple years with a headlight "off" gremlin. Now, I have a goal to motor across New England and do some bonding. Sorely missed our rallies last year :-| 

Just too excited!  :bike-037: :bow: :thumb:
2012 GT8V Norge {The Faster Color}
2002 EV1100 - Vintage Red
Y2K Jackal {sold} - Red

Offline egschade

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2021, 08:36:29 AM »
THX very much for the heads up on the local B and B's.  I switched from the chain hotel to a local guy - Tarten  Fox B and B just minutes from the fairgrounds.  Ride on!

Looking forward to meeting up with you at "The Inn of the Tartan Fox". You arriving Thursday or Friday?

Southern New Englanders - what's the likely hood of black flies being active mid-June? I know they can be pretty bad in April and May. Any recommended precautions, potions or gear?
The elder Eric in NJ
2020 V85TT Adventure

Past Guzzis:
V7 III
Griso 1200SE
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline kingoffleece

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2021, 04:49:50 PM »
Thursday.  I'll be assisting the fine folks of Hamlin Cycles for the event.  Jim, Gerry P, and I go back quite a few years.

I've been around quite a few motorcycle guys over the past 5 decades of riding and they are two of the best.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 04:50:57 PM by kingoffleece »

Online Tom

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2021, 05:08:03 PM »
Are they having a booth to sell stuff or doing demo rides?

Wildroamer

« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2021, 08:07:54 PM »
Anyone have some scoop on facilities other than the hookups mentioned? Alternately, where's the nearest creek? If this is 3 days potentially on the heels of the Laconia deal, I might be looking for the nearest river, lol.

As for the black flies, their small window of absolute horror should be long gone by then. Not to say they won't be out, just not as bad as it gets early on... Mosquitos might be worse than black flies at that point. As a backpacker and past fly-fisherman, my go-to concoctions are those with Picaridin, as opposed to Deet, which will destroy waterproof coatings, and wreak havoc on flies and floating line. Sawyer makes one readily available locally.

Online Tom

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2021, 02:46:14 PM »
I hope the vaccines are out in force.   :tongue:

Wildroamer

« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2021, 03:09:58 PM »
I know what you mean regarding vaccines...I guess I will likely shy away in the interest of the elders if I haven't gotten mine by then. Not looking too great on the delivery side of things, at least in my neck.
Funny how, "Hurry Up! turned into "Be Patient" after the elections. Why the National Guard isn't actively working to administer these out in vast numbers is yet another reason to trust the govt to screw it up.

Offline kingoffleece

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2021, 04:01:10 PM »
I'll mask up and maintain a reasonable distance but no way - is keeping me away-unless it's postponed.
A mask makes me look better anyway!

Offline ChuckH

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2021, 06:15:00 AM »
I'll mask up and maintain a reasonable distance but no way - is keeping me away-unless it's postponed

Is there a possibility that it will be postponed??  Could the Governor of NH, like the Governor of MN, simply ban gatherings of more than "X" people and force a shutdown??

Another question...If it's not postponed, how many attendees are expected??
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Guzzi Mentor
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2021, 06:40:39 AM »
Is there a possibility that it will be postponed??  Could the Governor of NH, like the Governor of MN, simply ban gatherings of more than "X" people and force a shutdown??

Another question...If it's not postponed, how many attendees are expected??

I don't have a response to the # of attendees, because this will be my first time, but as a Granite State resident...

* Governor Sununu has NOT been doing a terrible job in response to the virus (that's a double negative because I refuse to say any governor or president has done a good job). He's certainly not as cautious / restrictive as the neighboring governors, but isn't one of the ones flubbing it up either. Laconia Bike Week was held last year and didn't appear to be the super spreader that Sturgis was. Maybe a month or so ago, Governor Sununu recently issued a mask mandate to all people, but it's a statement with no teeth in enforcement.

So while I can't predict the future, and who knows if these stickier strains will affect restrictions, but my guess is that Sununu is looking to continue opening things up when possible, especially with the vaccines rolling out, albeit with a strong note of caution. After all, the Governor is elected every 2 years here, and NH likes to bounce across the aisles politically.

The current precautions do request quarantining for folks traveling to or from outside New England:

https://www.covidguidance.nh.gov/out-state-visitors
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 07:21:21 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online Nick

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2021, 07:18:19 AM »

Well, if you go by the state's motto "Live Free or Die" , there should not be any problems  :wink:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler with donation credit
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here