Author Topic: Cape to Cape..(probably go right ‘round…)….Again…  (Read 23544 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Cape to Cape..(and back..)
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2021, 01:02:08 PM »
Huzo,                                                                                       5-5-21

The best of the best of luck to you, Huzo.  May the wind be fair and always at your back.

Be well, stay well,

DougG

Take notes often...written or recorded.  I believe there is a chronicle in your future.
Thank you Doug, I usually do this
https://youtu.be/BROiABlWgJg
https://youtu.be/b_dfQxbGk-0
https://youtu.be/Eq4lzfPxvKw
https://youtu.be/hvPPh4q_qgY

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2021, 06:48:22 PM »
Huzo,                                                                                                               5-5-21

I just scrolled through your youtubes.    Wow, I guess you do "take notes"!  Impressive.

Be well, stay well,
DougG

P.S. I couldn't get the first one to load...no biggie.  I think I got the idea from  the other three.
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2021, 07:09:18 PM »
Huzo,                                                                                                               5-5-21

I just scrolled through your youtubes.    Wow, I guess you do "take notes"!  Impressive.

Be well, stay well,
DougG

P.S. I couldn't get the first one to load...no biggie.  I think I got the idea from  the other three.
Yeah , 2016 got pulled due to copyright infringements.
It’s fairly standard stuff.
Descending the Stelvio on the Norge, then off over to the Transfagarasan for lunch. Crossing over the top there with a bit of a heart stopping moment, then back through Bosnia, Serbia..blah blah.
Someone on here dug up part one and reposted it, part two is floating around somewhere in the cloud.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 01:09:54 AM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Cape to Cape..(probably go right ‘round)
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2021, 01:05:38 AM »
I had planned to go from Cape Otway to Cape York and back, but the spectre of the 3,000 k South, down the same road on the return was a bit daunting..
So I reckon I’ll turn right at Charters Towers and go around via Broome and Perth, with a little sprint across the Nullarbor for the run home.
It’s going to add about 5,000k to the trip, but I won’t have the daunting task of riding back down the same road.
The total will be about 13,000 k.
I bought one of these, I think it will be a good thing..

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 04:28:37 AM by Huzo »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2021, 01:05:38 AM »

Online bottler

• New Egg
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2021, 04:20:42 AM »
 Hi Huzo,

Have just read this thread from the start till today, great stuff! May I wish you all the best for the lap of Oz. I am planning on the same lap starting in August from Bungendore. I suspect you might just pass through here on your way up north. If yes let me know if you need any help, lodgings etc; but once again that just might be sorted, no?

Cheers

Bottler

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2021, 04:33:33 AM »
Hi Huzo,

Have just read this thread from the start till today, great stuff! May I wish you all the best for the lap of Oz. I am planning on the same lap starting in August from Bungendore. I suspect you might just pass through here on your way up north. If yes let me know if you need any help, lodgings etc; but once again that just might be sorted, no?

Cheers

Bottler
I am always appreciative of these offers Bottler.
I’ll be on the Newell Hwy from Echuca through West Wyalong up to Gilgandra, so will be a long way West of you.
Thank you for your offer mate.
Wasn’t your greenie at Michael’s place the other day was it ?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 04:35:56 AM by Huzo »

Online bottler

• New Egg
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2021, 05:03:46 AM »
nah Huzo, no green machine in my fleet, the Jota is black, and the Stelvio sort of dark grey. My lap will be on the Stelvio, with a couple of mates, who like me, are recently retired, so nil time constraints. We will be camping mostly, except when I can no longer put up with my BO, then hotels will be necessary. I will be very interested in your camping reports.

Our better halves are looking to fly in and visit us in places such as Port Douglas, Darwin, Broome and Perth/Margaret River. FIFO sounds great I reckon!

Online bottler

• New Egg
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2021, 05:05:17 AM »
BTW, I read recently that it is about 100 kilometres shorter if you do the lap anti clockwise.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2021, 05:57:52 AM »
BTW, I read recently that it is about 100 kilometres shorter if you do the lap anti clockwise.
That’s always a good one bottler.
I went to great pains to point out once to a devotee of that theory, that the  circumference of a circle is 6 times the radius.
If you increase the radius by 5 metres by moving out to the outside lane, then the circumference increases by 30 metres.
My mate Pythagoras told me so. :thumb:

Online bottler

• New Egg
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2021, 10:07:41 PM »
Pythagorean geometry not my strong point Huzo, but I suppose a smaller circle would be less distance to circumnavigate than a larger one. Anyway that has nothing to do with our choice to go in an anti clockwise direction. We have to head to Cape York first as friends are holidaying at Port Douglas in late August, from there it will be the Savannah way, Gibb River Road, and down to Perth after RnR in Broome.

As a young bloke I was part of the exploration crew that proved up the existence of the Argyle diamond deposit so am particularly looking forward to returning to the Kimberleys. Hopefully the roads have improved a tad in the last 40 years!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2021, 12:27:45 AM »
Pythagorean geometry not my strong point Huzo, but I suppose a smaller circle would be less distance to circumnavigate than a larger one. Anyway that has nothing to do with our choice to go in an anti clockwise direction. We have to head to Cape York first as friends are holidaying at Port Douglas in late August, from there it will be the Savannah way, Gibb River Road, and down to Perth after RnR in Broome.

As a young bloke I was part of the exploration crew that proved up the existence of the Argyle diamond deposit so am particularly looking forward to returning to the Kimberleys. Hopefully the roads have improved a tad in the last 40 years!
The distance stomping ability and all terrain capability of a CT110 Honda is without peer..

Online reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2021, 01:49:23 AM »
The distance is only slight shorter by going anticlockwise, but that is not the main advantage.  :grin: It is to do with fuel economy, and probably more relevant to a caravan, but in the interest of Guzzi ownership, every dollar counts. Before you have me committed have a look at the science behind it. On the East coast the prevailing wind is often South to North. Across the top end it is often East to West. Down the west coast it is often North to South and of course across the bottom end it is often West to East. So by going anticlockwise you are statically more likely to have a tail wind and if you do have a head wind it is likely to be lower intensity.

For those that are interested in the research I believe it is linked to the coriolis effect which effects ocean currents and cyclone rotations. A cyclone will rotate in a clockwise direction down here so a west cost cyclone generates a wind from north to south. Down here we also have the roaring forties which which is a west to east wind at lower latitudes.

The other main advantage is visibility and comfort. :grin: The northern latitudes have longer days and warmer temperatures at this time of the year. So to get a good days riding in up north you can leave early in the morning whilst the temperature is cool and pull up as the day warms up to avoid ridding into the setting sun. Down South you leave a bit latter as the day warms up so you are not ridding into the rising sun and make best use of the afternoons warmth.   

So by pure logic an anticlockwise trip is the way to go, and no doubt why Huzo planned it that way.

Steve

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2021, 02:35:18 AM »
The old pilot in me did take a broad overview and the benefit of predominantly tailwinds on the Nullarbor, did not go unconsidered.
However, the main consideration is that I want to get up and down the Cape without too much of July disappearing.
I am thinking of 7 seat hrs. a day which is a touch under 500 k.
So with a distance of 4,000 from Cape Otway to Cape York, the thumbnail measurement gives me 8 seat days, plus a couple for tyre change at Cairns and an oil change every 3 days.
So let’s call it 10 days to Cape York, that’ll be July 13.
Then maybe 3 days back to civilisation, before turning right to head for Mt Isa and then Three Ways..etc.
I do hold some reservations about the trip down the West coast from Broome to Perth though, I seem to recall prevailing headwinds, but I steadfastly refuse to be put off. I’ll just slow down and take an extra day or so.
Anyone here who wants to come, can join me and the other WG member whom I previously mentioned.
He’s full of witticisms and no fool with mechanicals...(although it’s not a Guzzi.... :wink:).

Online reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2021, 03:31:49 AM »
You seem like a person who would be well versed in Latin and therefore aware of the lack of trees on the Nullabour.

Steve

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2021, 03:36:00 AM »
You seem like a person who would be well versed in Latin and therefore aware of the lack of trees on the Nullabour.

Steve
Nah mate, a tech school education and half an engineering degree.
Trouble is I can’t remember which half.... :rolleyes:

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2021, 09:05:57 PM »
If I remember the last time you were over this way it was pi##ing with rain and thunderstorms so the wind was probably coming from the south west.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2021, 12:53:39 AM »
South West will do nicely.

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2021, 06:19:13 PM »
Huzo I salute you for such a brave  attempt at conquering your inner boredom. Meditation is the name of the game and allowing so much time to watch the world passing by should indeed be a great meditation, a solid mantra of postie bike , and by the time you get home you _should_ be cured.
If you are going up the Newell you won't be passing our place which is just near Nimbin, which is sad, cause it would have been fun if you'd wanted to stay for a night to regenerate that postie road lust. You could have parked it next to the ducati so they could laugh at each other in the stall. The duke would have probably turned from proper red to green overnight, since she has long had a wish to go on such an adventure.
I have One useful suggestion  , can you mount one of those tall flags that they must have on all mine vehicles please? They stand out very well on a fast highway for all the vehicles that need to notice you. One can see them for miles ahead as you cruise at 160K's so there's more time to wash a bit of speed to laugh at the poor silly stupid bastard who's obviously gone AWOL from a post office from somewhere. Have you considered long distance trips on a rideon mower? It has been done too. Later you could do one on a mobility scooter.
All the best and stay safe.

Offline Kremmen

• New Egg
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2021, 06:36:49 AM »
Okay, it's confirmed, you are bonkers. Awesome.  :thumb:

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2021, 07:08:52 AM »
Hey Pete. I cant wait for the adventure to begin  and looking forever to keeping up with your progress on a daily basis.  Your trip may be my only chance to discover your wonderful continent, so keep the pictures flowing, please!

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2021, 08:16:48 PM »
Forever? He's only going for a month. :thumb:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2021, 04:16:13 AM »
Okay, it's confirmed, you are bonkers.
Ancient history that one...

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2021, 08:04:59 AM »
Hey Pete. I cant wait for the adventure to begin  and looking forever to keeping up with your progress on a daily basis.  Your trip may be my only chance to discover your wonderful continent, so keep the pictures flowing, please!
I will certainly post video regularly here and as usual will Go Pro the whole thing Dan.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2021, 03:02:48 PM »
Huzo

If you make good time on the way up you could consider coming home via Cape Byron. That way you will have three of the four points done. Then when you have a free couple of weeks you can duck across to the north west cape and complete the set  :laugh:.

Steve
Thanks Reidy, this is the one that got me started on making it an “all the way ‘round” trip.
Please don’t bring Cedar Vale and CT 110 or Mandello up in the same sentence.... :popcorn:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2021, 03:33:58 PM »

This place is good.

This area is in the Kimberley...(except for the Roper reference..).
That pub is amazingly nice inside and has a pool... :thumb:.....(table.... :sad:)

Online bottler

• New Egg
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2021, 04:12:58 AM »
OK, I will take refreshment at Whim Creek Hotel when I get there, probably late September. Looks like an oasis. :boozing:

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2021, 04:48:37 AM »
Ah West Wyalong where we finally decided to not play in the Joe Reeves Country Band anymore. All the way from Orange to there and back for 20 bucks.  :shocked:

All the best Huzo, what an excellent adventure  - makes me a bit homesick.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2021, 05:41:03 AM »
OK, I will take refreshment at Whim Creek Hotel when I get there, probably late September. Looks like an oasis. :boozing:
’cnoath...

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2021, 03:42:19 PM »

Steve
Yep.
Nullar= Bugger all of
Bor= Tree
Therefore Nullarbor = Bugger all of + Tree = Not many trees.
These were taken there.

Might get some part time work while en route.

png blue picture
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 03:58:43 PM by Huzo »

Online reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2021, 02:27:16 AM »
Close, Null means no.
Arbor means tree or wood.

No trees

Steve

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here