Author Topic: Cape to Cape..(probably go right ‘round…)….Again…  (Read 23530 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Cape to Cape..(probably go right ‘round)
« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2021, 03:28:33 AM »
Thanks Sye.
Today we set off from Archer River to do the 375 or so km to get to the top. That plan was thwarted by the fact that the road is so bad you are forced down to 10 kph in places and most of the time not above 25. Tomorrow is the same by all accounts.
There are some sealed sections when entering and exiting stations, but precious few.
We plan to be on the road at an early hour and surely to goodness tomorrow should see us there.
Have not seen much today, except for this chance encounter..

« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 06:23:16 AM by Huzo »

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2021, 06:32:56 AM »
Almost fully grown! The kinda nope rope you are happy to have around the house.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2021, 09:05:05 AM »
What kind of snake is that?
Hopefully not the kind that likes to share your sleeping bag at night 😩🤞

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #183 on: July 11, 2021, 09:10:50 AM »
I think it’s a harmless Python Dan.
And yes, they do and have...! :sad:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: July 11, 2021, 09:10:50 AM »

Offline v85lover

• New Egg
« Reply #184 on: July 11, 2021, 09:15:40 AM »
I think it’s a harmless Python Dan.
And yes, they do and have...! :sad:

Yeah just harmless carpet python I had one of these guys for while, I would have picked it up and chased you with it huzo haha

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #185 on: July 12, 2021, 05:13:14 AM »
Hope that tire is holding up Pete.  Looks a bit desolate up there.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2021, 07:50:05 AM »
How’s the food Pete?  Really enjoying this journey.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2021, 11:36:19 AM »
This has all the makings of an excellent documentary Peter.  Loving the pictures so far...I have to say the "backrests" you guys have rigged up look quite comfortable, I imagine you leaning back, sipping a cold one, and driving with your feet, while avoiding all of the animals on the road! 

I'm guessing the rear tire is wearing so much faster due to all of the weight on the back...any chance of repositioning that a bit to ease the accelerated wear?

Keep up the vlog...enjoying it a bunch!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2021, 09:00:24 PM »
That is slick calculus trick to mentally estimate travel time. In trying to do that for 70mph with miles, the best I can do is dividing distance in miles by 7 and multiplying by 6, which is too tough for my brain to do easily without paper.

Does anyone else have a quick mental formula for doing your trick in miles?

I guess if I went 60 or 120mph it would be easy.
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2021, 06:02:36 AM »
That is slick calculus trick to mentally estimate travel time. In trying to do that for 70mph with miles, the best I can do is dividing distance in miles by 7 and multiplying by 6, which is too tough for my brain to do easily without paper.

Does anyone else have a quick mental formula for doing your trick in miles?

I guess if I went 60 or 120mph it would be easy.

100 kp/h = 10kms every six minutes 50kp/h is therefore 5km's every six minutes or 12min per 10kph, 110 (which is 68mph) + 10% so 11kms per six minutes.

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #190 on: July 14, 2021, 07:13:17 AM »
I understand the "6 minute" principle, but how do you do it as simply and elegantly as HUZO, but going 85 mph and travelling in miles? In practical terms, for example how do you easily divide 365 miles to go at 85 mph mentally while riding?
 Obviously you just divide 365 by 85 to get 4.3 hrs or divide 365 by 8 and multiply by 6 to get to get 274 min, but that is hard on my noggin without pencil or calculator.
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2021, 08:18:26 AM »
I understand the "6 minute" principle, but how do you do it as simply and elegantly as HUZO, but going 85 mph and travelling in miles? In practical terms, for example how do you easily divide 365 miles to go at 85 mph mentally while riding?
 Obviously you just divide 365 by 85 to get 4.3 hrs or divide 365 by 8 and multiply by 6 to get to get 274 min, but that is hard on my noggin without pencil or calculator.

On the long flat expanses of Australia you have plenty of time to think, the other thing is to settle for close enough 6mph = 10% of 60mph so 66, 72,78, 84, 90 all work out. There is a reason the rest of the world use metric. Sure it might take a couple of mins what else would you do on a postie bike on a long trip, all you need is to get it into top gear and hold the throttle flat.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2021, 01:39:04 AM »
Hi guys, Ian and I are parked up at Archer River on the way back down.
Ann has rung the Honda blokes in Mareeba and new tyres are on the go.
They wii go on around Tuesday.
Ian and I have become quite  adept at adjusting our “speed” to suit the corrugations. The problem is for me at least, and Ian I’m sure, is that if you select a speed that enables you to “skim” over the tops and then you see that they are getting deeper, you are required to get your speed down damn fast before you go into them, “arse up” is the technical term as Ian has just informed me.
We are both a bit maggoted so expect more than the usual amount of common sense from me.
Any way here are some shots.

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2021, 02:15:05 AM »
Bloody well done if I may say so myself. It looks like those years of gutter jumping, out running dogs, avoiding wheelie bins and swooping magpies have paid off. The next time a letter takes two weeks to get from Melbourne to my place I will send Australia post this thread, and explain it would have been quicker just to give it to a bloke on a postie bike and he could ride it up. 

I guess it is just the short run home from here, just remember to keep the coast on your right hand side and stop when you get to your place  :boozing:.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #194 on: July 15, 2021, 02:18:50 AM »
Bloody well done if I may say so myself. It looks like those years of gutter jumping, out running dogs, avoiding wheelie bins and swooping magpies have paid off. The next time a letter takes two weeks to get from Melbourne to my place I will send Australia post this thread, and explain it would have been quicker just to give it to a bloke on a postie bike and he could ride it up. 

I guess it is just the short run home from here, just remember to keep the coast on your right hand side and stop when you get to your place  :boozing:.
You’re a funny bastard Reidy...(and quite on point as it happens...).

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #195 on: July 15, 2021, 05:21:09 AM »
Oh...
Forgot.

Online Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #196 on: July 15, 2021, 05:58:09 AM »
Oh...
Forgot.

GET IN!, 25% (ish) covered. Not far now :grin: and the easiest bit is at the end. Cracking journey and good progress so far. You will have worked out the meaning of life before you're done.

Hope the lock downs don't affect you too much.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 05:58:29 AM by Sye »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2021, 06:49:24 PM »
Well..
Back down to here.

Done 5,700 k so far and the Honda is running well.
The off-road tyres that I put on in Charters Towers disappeared faster than I’d anticipated to the point wher the front had more than had half gone and the rear more so. With the same amount of k’s still to travel to get back to where I could fit new ones, I did the only thing I could think of and tore them off manually and swapped front to back.
This is the front one with 100 k still to go.

Fair dinkum, it steers like the Exxon Valdeez.....(but doesn’t leak as much oil...)
The handling is positively whorendous, but I think I will make it.
There may be a barrier to entering West Australia from a - point of view, but if so I can come down through Northern Territiory into South Oz which will still make about 10,000 k.
Here is a shot of the tip..
https://youtu.be/ZYfVXX56nDI
Ian on his CT 200 https://youtu.be/8ZAgQf_kolc
And this.. https://youtu.be/nArG2P_ZjB0

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2021, 06:58:54 PM »
I'm enjoying every minute of your ride from my comfy couch. :bow:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2021, 07:05:40 PM »
Hang tough Peter👍

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #200 on: July 22, 2021, 07:03:12 AM »
Well guys, it’s been a while but here we are again.
Just a note too about Ian (Bat11), he has done every bit as much as I have on this trip, so we may be able to look forward to his version of events as well.
Anyway, I find myself here..

I do hope that border closures do not impact too heavily, but crossing into Western Australia is not a foregone conclusion. Getting into the Northern Territory SHOULD not be a problem, so I will pursue that as the next goal.
But the bike...
I stopped a day or so back and had a bit of a look over the little beast and noticed this rather important piece of kit missing..

Bugger it all...!
But a bit of an enquiry at then pub that evening, led to the incalculably good news that ....”there’s a bloke around at the Shire workshop that’ll dig somethin’ up..” and that’s exactly what happened..!
Bright eyed and bushy tailed at the appointed hour of 7:00 am, I burst onto the scene at the gates of the place and was greeted by the person who would bail me out.
Across the road and into the tomb like shed, disappeared my saviour and out he came waving the precious bolt above his head in joyful triumph.
YOU BLOODY LITTLE BEAUTY...! I suggested as he thrust the incomprehensively valuable item into my paw and refused any recompense...
Outback Australians are a different bunch...I love them.
After upending another cappuccino and bacon and eggs into my pie hole, I coaxed the 110 into life and launched into the great unknown. The morning was crisp and the Honda was singing it’s one note song at a cruisey 75 kph...
Just perfect.

I feel that I am at last mentally in time with the relatively modest cruising speed of the bike. For quite a while I was carrying a false impression of my estimated arrival time at the next intended destination, but now I feel like the speed I’m doing is appropriate and I do not hold a desire to go faster.
Slurping less than 3 litres/100 km and requiring very little oil between changes at 2,500-3,000 km, I think I’m treating the little bike ok and I have a lot of confidence in it’s ability...
But here’s a thought.
I have become aware, that the little bike “feels” the contours of the land, more so than the big bike and “tells” you what it can do and what it cannot. I do feel more attuned to it’s needs than perhaps the Norge, because it is more at your mercy than the big one.
If it’s not too much of a romantic notion, I feel more a part of a “team” with the Honda than a demanding master, imposing my will as I do on the bigger bike.
I’m 7,500 k into the trip and enjoying the new challenges and emotions. It is as good as I’d hoped and remarkably similar.
Here are some opportunity shots.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #201 on: July 22, 2021, 07:52:56 AM »
Pete, looks like you are meeting the challenges head on as they come at you👍
Here’s a little something that you can laugh about as you and the little Honda make your way along.
The last time you called me I was on another call that I had to finish. After that call was over, without thinking and being excited to talk with you, I just hit redial. We had a great 72 minutes conversation that day as it was just before your trip.
A few days ago my wife yelled at me from another room “WHO IN THE HELL DID YOU TALK TO ON ANOTHER CONTINENT FOR 72 MINUTE FOR THE COST OF 178.00 dollars”
OH crap!! Then I remembered what I had done!!
Can you tell me again how your wife gets those free international minutes???
It’s worked out ok. Wife called the cell phone provider and told them her elderly Father , with a mental disorder had accidentally called some guy in Australia that was long winded in conversation and ask for consideration with the bill.
They granted us half price, this time.
I hope this brightens your ride for at least 100 miles.
Be safe my friend 👍
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 08:14:56 AM by Ncdan »

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #202 on: July 22, 2021, 12:23:50 PM »
Excellent story Huzo, especially the Outback bolt fix.  I've adopted Pippin's philosophy from LOTR
"The closer we are to danger, the farther we are from harm."
Stay well and safe travels.

Nick

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #203 on: July 22, 2021, 01:06:56 PM »
WHO IN THE HELL DID YOU TALK TO ON ANOTHER CONTINENT FOR 72 MINUTE FOR THE COST OF 178.00 dollars”
Can you tell me again how your wife gets those free international minutes???

Install Skype...you can talk for pennies per minute around the world, or for free if it's computer to computer...you can even load Skype onto your Smartphone.

:thumb: :thumb:
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #204 on: July 22, 2021, 01:28:45 PM »
At the time Dan, I recall mentioning that I could call you back, so I thought when you said not to bother, that you were ok.
Ann has 5 hrs free international calls per month on her plan.
But you can face time anywhere in the world for the cost of the equivalent time on the internet, just like Skype as mentioned.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #205 on: July 22, 2021, 02:19:37 PM »
At the time Dan, I recall mentioning that I could call you back, so I thought when you said not to bother, that you were ok.
Ann has 5 hrs free international calls per month on her plan.
But you can face time anywhere in the world for the cost of the equivalent time on the internet, just like Skype as mentioned.
Hey buddy, I ain’t complaining. Talking to you was worth every penny👍
Heck I’d pay that to watch a monkey hump a football😂😂😂😉👍

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #206 on: July 22, 2021, 03:56:47 PM »
Hey buddy, I ain’t complaining. Talking to you was worth every penny👍
Heck I’d pay that to watch a monkey hump a football😂😂😂😉👍
A basketball do?
Send money now......
https://youtu.be/-RBNCFlJ_2M

😁
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #207 on: July 22, 2021, 06:19:41 PM »
I feel that I am at last mentally in time with the relatively modest cruising speed of the bike. For quite a while I was carrying a false impression of my estimated arrival time at the next intended destination, but now I feel like the speed I’m doing is appropriate and I do not hold a desire to go faster.

Thanks for the update Huzo. I was only thinking this morning, I wonder how Huzo is going, I should sent him a message.
I have guoted a sentence from your update. By my rough calculations it took you about 3 weeks to get to that point. Apparently it takes about 6 weeks to form new habits and break old habits. I can't help wondering how many days, weeks or months it takes on your return to reverse your new found perspective.

I have only just come to realise that this is a three part trip. Planning and preparation, a quick lap around the block and then returning home. 
My wife only said to me the other day, why did you not man up and do the trip. She had a good point but this way you get to do all of the hard work and we get to participate from the comfort of our own home. Again thanks for update.

Steve 

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #208 on: July 22, 2021, 07:35:54 PM »
You know how well I know you, I would not presume to tell you to “Man up...”
If you want, I can clip WA off the menu and we could do Qld..

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #209 on: July 22, 2021, 09:06:01 PM »
Thanks for the offer, I am intending to plan my own adventure for next year. It will be baby steps compared to this one but it will be getting back on the iron horse so to speak. It will be a bit dependent on what the local world looks like and if I have a bike I am building finished. If the bike is finished I will take it, if not it will be the Bonneville.

Hopefully by then we will be rid of our insurance company. Our roof was destroyed last October in a big hail storm. Last week saw the shed roof replaced and the solar put back on. We are down to just the water tank and internal ceilings to be painted. The holes in the gyprock were patched the other week. Also we will paint the tile roof as the insurance company just replaced 850 of our roof tiles with what they class as a "similar" colour. The colour looks very close on a moonless night if you are wearing dark glasses :laugh:.   

For now I am enjoying watching and learning.

Steve

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here