Author Topic: Cape to Cape..(probably go right ‘round…)….Again…  (Read 23521 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Cape to Cape..(probably go right ‘round)
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2021, 03:58:16 PM »
Thanks for the offer, I am intending to plan my own adventure for next year. It will be baby steps compared to this one but it will be getting back on the iron horse so to speak. It will be a bit dependent on what the local world looks like and if I have a bike I am building finished. If the bike is finished I will take it, if not it will be the Bonneville.

Hopefully by then we will be rid of our insurance company. Our roof was destroyed last October in a big hail storm. Last week saw the shed roof replaced and the solar put back on. We are down to just the water tank and internal ceilings to be painted. The holes in the gyprock were patched the other week. Also we will paint the tile roof as the insurance company just replaced 850 of our roof tiles with what they class as a "similar" colour. The colour looks very close on a moonless night if you are wearing dark glasses :laugh:.   

For now I am enjoying watching and learning.

Steve
No worries mate.
When you’re up and about, I’ll come up on the Norge or ‘85 and say hi.
Check this out from Camooweal, the cows will eat your car...!

I am up to here and as you can see I’m about to cross into Northern Territory.
My on line application is complete and I’m quietly confident that it’ll be ok. About 9,000 k’s in and the bike is good, although I have taken to carrying a spare tyre in case I’m in an area where I can’t obtain one.
Early morning departures......Don’t you love ‘em..?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 04:23:51 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #211 on: July 26, 2021, 10:13:11 PM »

Here’s the latest..
I am currently in Katherine

It is about halfway ‘round in distance, but probably a bit more in time.
But - has not written it’s final line as we speak..
Because I spent time in Queensland which is a declared hotspot by Western Australia, I must not enter W.A. until I have been in Northern Territory for 14 days, so far it has been 4 going on 5.
Now given that it is 2 days from here to the border, I cannot recommence my journey for 7 days... :clock:
I know there is a good side to that as well so I will focus on that area.
Speeds and distances have re adjusted in my mind to the point that 75 kph seems right and 450 a day seems enough, it didn’t take as long as I thought.
Just a random selection of there really isn’t much other than thousands of kilometres of straight roads and bush scrub, the Kimberley is soaked with nice spots, but that’s a way off yet.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:42:01 AM by Huzo »

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2021, 01:58:39 AM »
I have spent quite a bit of time at Katherine over the years, there is a small flying club just out of town :laugh:. I received a text from a mate last night. He was at the Daly Waters Pub. It looks like they have a nice collection of bikes and Bras there. He should be in Katherine tomorrowarvo.

Unless things have changed, avoid the main street on Wednesday morning. Some people get paid and try and drink it all by lunch time. It would not be a bad part of the world to spend a day out at the gorge or the caves. If you need to kill an extra two days before heading west I hear the Mindil Beach Markets in Darwin do a good feed on Thursday night. Nothing like a good feed of Asian a quite beer and watching the sun set over the water.

Steve

Offline j.davis

• New Egg
« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2021, 04:27:40 AM »
Spend a few 'daze' in Darwin.
Watching a lady on uTube that's just been through Kathrine area, and spent her time in the bush and still couldn't get away from the RV's and caravans.
Also a past member of the Local Flying Club.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2021, 04:27:40 AM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #214 on: July 27, 2021, 04:59:20 PM »
Just one question , does Roper know he owns a bar that doesn't serve alcohol , and how does that work ?
Actually, he’s cutting down...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 05:00:04 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2021, 05:15:30 PM »
I’ve just shoved two bits of raisin toast and a coffee into my pie hole and I’m reckoning on going to Darwin for a piece of Barramundi.
I may even do the 350 k in two halves, just to burn more time.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 05:19:08 PM by Huzo »

Online elrealistico

• Hatchling
« Reply #216 on: July 27, 2021, 05:55:58 PM »
Had some barramundi for the first time awhile back. Blackened, was pretty good. Someone told me it's the fish most used in Oz for fish and chips, like cod in the US/UK
2018 V7III Special
1978 T140V Bonneville
2004 EV Touring

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #217 on: July 27, 2021, 06:58:46 PM »
Had some barramundi for the first time awhile back. Blackened, was pretty good. Someone told me it's the fish most used in Oz for fish and chips, like cod in the US/UK
Could be true, but I’ve always thought flake, which is the working man’s choice, was shark.
But possibly not..

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #218 on: July 27, 2021, 08:52:48 PM »
Barramundi and chips? Must be another drop bears story. Not likely, to expensive. Flake is the one they use. Huzo, grab yourself a buffalo steak while your there.

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #219 on: July 28, 2021, 02:14:11 AM »
Buff and barra with garlc prawns.
Lots of great places to eat up there.
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #220 on: July 28, 2021, 03:06:15 AM »
I’ll film myself stuffing my pie hole at the wharf in Darwin.
Currently in Adelaide River...(nowhere near Adelaide), taking it all VERY slowly. I just found out on the - hotline, that there has to be 14 complete days of occupancy in NT, to qualify for entry to WA.
So the entry and exit days for NT do not count in the 14.....Jeeezzzz....!
Anywaaayyyy.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 03:10:53 AM by Huzo »

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #221 on: July 28, 2021, 03:17:52 AM »
There should be a few snapping handbags around there. For our overseas readers you may need to google it if you are not fluent in Australian.
Just put in Adelaide River Snapping Handbag and check out images. It is safe for work so don't worry.

Steve

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #222 on: July 28, 2021, 05:37:55 AM »
Would you consider this old fella’ a typical example ?

A little under developed @ 5.0 metres....!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 05:40:25 AM by Huzo »

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #223 on: July 28, 2021, 05:45:32 AM »
No, you may have posted the wrong picture. It looks like either a table or a bed if you have breakdown on the side of the road.

Now that the picture has changed I will go with a yes  :laugh:.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 10:52:10 PM by reidy »

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #224 on: July 28, 2021, 04:07:25 PM »
Pete,
The roads through Litchfield NP seem to have been designed by a motorcyclist, well worth the look, lits of great waterfalls to look at as well.
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #225 on: July 28, 2021, 04:34:37 PM »
Pete,
The roads through Litchfield NP seem to have been designed by a motorcyclist, well worth the look, lits of great waterfalls to look at as well.
Yeah mate.
I’m currently lying in bed listening to the Kookaburras. You can see where I am.

I reckon that is a good idea..! I will see if I can get my knee down on the CT.... :popcorn:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #226 on: July 28, 2021, 04:36:47 PM »
No, you may have posted the wrong picture. It looks like either a table or a bed if you have breakdown on the side of the road.

Steve
jeez...
Lucky the camera didn’t go off 20 seconds earlier...! :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #227 on: July 29, 2021, 03:45:36 AM »

Now that the picture has changed I will go with a yes  :laugh:.

Steve
Well spotted.

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #228 on: July 29, 2021, 04:34:10 AM »
I am not much of a fisherman, but I remember one day fishing on the south Alligator river. I was with a group of work colleagues and we had got hold of a small tinnie.  We had been out for most of the day and had not seen any crocodiles but did see evidence that they were around. Due to bad planning we were heading back to the boat ramp just after dusk. As we shone the torch around the river and riverbank seemed full of red eyes.   

To be honest I am not sure of what I thought was going to cause the most damage. The salties, the 15 million mosquitos, the dehydration or the fact that one of the blokes in the boat thought a dozen or so beers would make his day more enjoyable, and kept trying to stand up and risk tiping the boat over. I don't think I have been fishing since.   

Enjoy Darwin, I don't think I would recognise it now. It was getting a bit modern last time I was their. There is a good Air museum at 557 Stuart Hwy, Winnellie NT.

Steve 

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #229 on: August 03, 2021, 01:18:46 AM »
I have been forced to spend 14 days in the NT before entering West Australia.
I have returned to Katherine and am leaving to head West in the morning towards the border. It certainly is a relief to be heading in the right direction again. I cannot cross until Sunday morning, but my documentation is in place and has been approved.
If nothing changes in the next few days, I should make it across.

I have been reading the exploits of a certain Nathan Millward, who rode from Sydney to London on 4 days notice, I was interested to see that his distance was not monumentally greater than my Oz lap @ 22,000 km.
The main issue with retracing his steps is understanding border issues, but other than documentation requirements, I cannot see what is unachievable about doing the same.
That would be a hoot.

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #230 on: August 03, 2021, 03:31:07 AM »
The book is a good read, I am not sure if you have finished it. I thought about that distance when I read the book. I think the main difference is you are doing it all in Australia, which is a reasonably civilized country. Well maybe after some of the idiots I dealt with today. You are most likely doing it on a sensible budget. It would appear he tried to do this on a shoe string budget.

My mate decided to kill time from Katherine he went south for a bit then cut across somewhere and is heading for the Gibb river road.

Steve 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 03:33:31 AM by reidy »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #231 on: August 03, 2021, 03:49:05 AM »
The book is a good read, I am not sure if you have finished it. I thought about that distance when I read the book. I think the main difference is you are doing it all in Australia, which is a reasonably civilized country. Well maybe after some of the idiots I dealt with today. You are most likely doing it on a sensible budget. It would appear he tried to do this on a shoe string budget.

My mate decided to kill time from Katherine he went south for a bit then cut across somewhere and is heading for the Gibb river road.

Steve
It’s just piqued my interest mate.
If I knew the border and - issues were sorted, there isn’t much else that held too much fear.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #232 on: August 03, 2021, 03:50:32 AM »
Steve
What is he on ?

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #233 on: August 03, 2021, 04:29:54 AM »
Red Nissan Nevara with caravan in tow. His wife is in the passengers seat. I have told him to keep an eye out for you. He is well into his 60's.

Steve

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #234 on: August 03, 2021, 04:33:08 AM »
Red Nissan Nevara with caravan in tow. His wife is in the passengers seat. I have told him to keep an eye out for you. He is well into his 60's.

Steve
So am I mate..

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #235 on: August 05, 2021, 07:40:56 PM »
I am doing my second last day of forced confinement in Northern Territory. I have this

and this

That by all accounts is enough.
I did a bit of a day catching up on a couple of things on the bike yesterday, the camchain sounded a bit slappy and I replaced the oil from 10W40 to 20W50.
When pulling up hot, the internal clicking and whizzing seemed a little more noticeable and after cooling down a bit, there was no evidence of any such sounds, so I’m thinking that the oil was getting a bit thin at such temperatures.
I hope this reasoning is sound.
The last tyre I fitted in Mareeba has now done about 2,600 k and I think it has another 1000 k left, I’ll assess that when I get to Kununurra and will decide whether to ask it to go as far as Broome. I can fit my spare at a camping park if I have to, but I’m usually reluctant to embark on elective surgery at such places. If you lose a nut or strip a thread, it is just better to be “somewhere”.

It’s funny how you morph into stages without being aware of it.
I just had a conversation with a bloke about free ‘phone calls in NT which Telstra has introduced for their old fashioned boxes. He was a fairly rugged old bloke and not short of a word. When he left I heard him say to his wife..
“I was just talking to that nice gentleman over there.......”

NICE GENTLEMAN......????....!!!!   :rolleyes:

Anyway, it is what it is.
There is a train of thought that has taken hold in my mind that says, the small bike “tells” you what it needs and what it is thinking, if I may be allowed to use the term.
Every slight incline or wind shift, is reflected in the performance whether up or down and you find yourself engaging more with your surrounds, than perhaps you would on the bigger bike. Certainly on the Norge or similar, you can dominate surroundings with a touch of throttle and the wind protection in conjunction with the available power, can lend a remoteness to the experience, the bike is doing the work under you and can go unnoticed to a certain degree.
I haven’t become dissatisfied with the speed potential or the reduced “distance in a day” numbers that the 110 can produce.
It is as I thought it would be...
From here to the finish is 7,500 km and so far I’ve done 10,000 so about 18,000k will be the final number. Given that I have a good idea of the terrain from here on, I can fairly confidently say that it will be easier from here on if all the mechanicals stay intact. The 4 days forced layup has been good, but I really do want to start moving west from here.
There aren’t too many more impressions I can give that hold much interest, but it’s been fun so far....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 07:56:05 PM by Huzo »

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #236 on: August 05, 2021, 08:21:58 PM »
Pete, you will be able to write a book about your adventure someday and I want to buy an autographed copy👍
Keep up the good work my friend!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #237 on: August 05, 2021, 09:30:02 PM »
Pete, you will be able to write a book about your adventure someday and I want to buy an autographed copy👍
Keep up the good work my friend!
It’s funny Dan, but the reality of doing it is not as daunting as the initial prospect seemed.
That Melbourne to London trip does not seem as impossible or improbable as I once thought. As I mentioned before, the only thing I find perplexing are the border procedures.
I would love to ride to the Guzzi celebration in 2022, but I would miss my Norge too much.
It would be a nice project to put a V50 or V35 motor in the 110....
Although this thing REALLY caught my attention...

BTW..
That right hand turn felt good to be heading in the right direction again.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 09:59:04 PM by Huzo »

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #238 on: August 06, 2021, 05:52:08 AM »
absolutely amazing adventure ,
gives us over here a great insight of what the other side of our planet looks like.
Thanks for posting, keep the reports coming!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #239 on: August 08, 2021, 08:30:45 AM »
The iron...

and the irony

I guess it had to happen eventually

Routine tyre change.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 08:32:19 AM by Huzo »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here