Author Topic: Dialect Map-Update: British & Irish Version  (Read 2176 times)

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Dialect Map
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2021, 11:49:05 AM »
I gave it my best effort and it said I’m from everywhere but Michigan and the New York / Jersey areas. I’m fine with that.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2021, 12:02:30 PM »
It gave my South Jersey wife the exact area we live in, no way, it should have put her up there with the rest of youse Yankees 🤔🤣😂
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 12:03:58 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2021, 12:25:16 PM »
I finally got it to peg my hometown of Santa Rosa. All I had to do was change firefly/lightning bug to firefly. Lightning bug is what my Ohio relatives call them. :thumb:

:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2021, 01:17:25 PM »
It put me pretty much in the middle of the country. I grew up in Connecticut, lived in Colorado for close to 20 years and the last 25 in California. So it must have averaged everything out.   :grin:
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2021, 01:17:25 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2021, 04:45:18 PM »
"I don't talk funny.  You listen funny."   :grin: :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2021, 05:14:25 PM »
I didn't realize there are different sets of questions. I just did this with my daughter and many questions were different than the ones I had. She came out as southern, Nashville and Louisville. About right for a North Georgia girl with an Ohio raised father.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2021, 06:20:30 PM »
When I’m in Europe, I use the most basic language of the people around me, but do not attempt to converse because I cannot.
However I will use abbreviations of English sentences constructed around the language that is prevalent.
For instance in France...
“Can you provide me with a tent site for one night, I am on a motorbike..”
Would become...
“Bonjour Misseier”, is possible for pitch 1 night with Moto...?”  (With physical accentuation of the “one”, “pitch” and “Moto”.
It does not seem to be the word difference that makes you unintelligible, as much as the order of the nouns, verbs and adjectives. Stealing shamelessly from the local vernacular can save a lot of angst.
In Italy if you are asked how enjoyable touring on a bike is...
A simple..”for sure is big fun..no ?”
Will gain an immediate and heartfelt nod of agreement and acceptance.
But I CANNOT stand to hear Jack Miller when he is imitating VR... :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 06:21:50 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2021, 06:24:28 PM »
I used to like Nick Hayden’s Kentucky sound..
He pronounced “road” as “rowed”. Plus he was so damn gracious and happy all the time... :bow:

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2021, 07:39:07 PM »
Just did the survey with my wife which put her in a triangle of Birmingham-Augusta-Columbus GA. Spot on. But amazing since she grew up in a Deaf household and English is not her first language.

-AJ

'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2021, 11:49:11 PM »
 Worked really hard as a kid to use the English language in proper fashion , studied the speech patterns of famous writers , hell , I can't bare to read any book written in local vernacular . Listened to the best orators , sought out those who sounded intelligent , and mostly speak sans terms like Youse guys , ya'll , bitchin' , groovy , gnarly , etc . My speech patterns represent all of that hard work .

The problem is , after living in deep east Texas for several years , followed by NW Arkansas , then Muskogee for 30 years , I still manage to sound like an Okie , an educated hopefully well spoken one , but still an Okie  :laugh: At times like now when the allergens are peaking , my normally baritone voice comes out more like a 100 year old man who has imbibed too much whiskey for 80 years , Smithswede does almost all of my public communication in Cedar Vale for the simple reason that even amplified I am still barely audible by Friday  :grin: :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2021, 12:24:30 AM »
Worked really hard as a kid to use the English language in proper fashion , studied the speech patterns of famous writers , hell , I can't bare to read any book written in local vernacular . Listened to the best orators , sought out those who sounded intelligent , and mostly speak sans terms like Youse guys , ya'll , bitchin' , groovy , gnarly , etc . My speech patterns represent all of that hard work .

The problem is , after living in deep east Texas for several years , followed by NW Arkansas , then Muskogee for 30 years , I still manage to sound like an Okie , an educated hopefully well spoken one , but still an Okie  :laugh: At times like now when the allergens are peaking , my normally baritone voice comes out more like a 100 year old man who has imbibed too much whiskey for 80 years , Smithswede does almost all of my public communication in Cedar Vale for the simple reason that even amplified I am still barely audible by Friday  :grin: :rolleyes:

Dusty
You seem to get your point across when you need to....

oldbike54

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2021, 12:42:11 AM »
You seem to get your point across when you need to....

Here is the reality of that Peter , even when at times when dealing with an issue and possibly being blunt , try to imagine a soft spoken white haired old guy simply attempting to cut off a problem before it escalates .

Now back to the topic at hand .

One of the best parts of rallies is hearing the different speech patterns and accents . Our friend from Louisiana David W has this beautiful North Louisiana accent , round and full , like listening to an old style Southern gentleman , maybe sped up slightly from working as an RN for years .

Dusty

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2021, 03:32:42 AM »
I've spent half my life in northern England and the other half in Germany.
But apparently I'm from Jackson!
 :grin:
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2021, 05:44:40 AM »
I was once mistaken in Norway for being from Sarf Ifrica....!!!

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2021, 01:11:00 PM »
Took it once. Nailed my home town, but that's not really the accent, it's the dialect.
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2021, 03:37:13 PM »
It picked me as being from New York, where I visited just once a couple of years ago.

But I've lived in Marina Del Rey, Los Angeles multiple times for periods of six months or longer working on projects.  At one time I enjoyed ten summers in a row.

Unfortunately, I don't do this any more, and now have to face winters here in Auckland New Zealand.  Still milder than a lot of California.  - kept me at home for the last year.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2021, 04:11:52 PM »
It shows me as upper East Coast North of New York, Rhode Island, Maine or something.
But the smart money says I’m from Ur anus.....!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 04:22:35 PM by Huzo »

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2021, 05:50:43 PM »
This is quite fun...

I am from Taiwan and raised in Vancouver BC...yet I am apparently closer to those NYokers or Hawaiian than where I am LOL...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
Re: Dialect Map-Update: British & Irish Version
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2021, 01:09:15 PM »
Update:

There is a British & Irish version of the same dialect quiz, also at the NY Times!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html

Your map

Definitely not from around here are you? Your answers were closer to the average person outside of Ireland and Britain than anywhere inside it.

The map shows places where answers most closely match your own, based on more than 1,000,000 respondents who said they were from Ireland or Britain.

Spot on, not surprisingly. 

:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here