Author Topic: Mistrals popping  (Read 1373 times)

Offline gentlemanjim

• Gaggle Mentor
Mistrals popping
« on: May 27, 2021, 01:19:58 AM »
I put Mistrals on my 2008 Breva 750.  Look and sound great, but.  Closed throttle popping not too loud, just annoying.   No dealers anywhere near me.  What can I do to eliminate?

Saw this booster plug.  anyone know anything about it? https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boosterplug-moto-guzzi-364p.html

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
Re: Mistrals popping
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 01:23:13 AM »
The shop told me a ECU re-mapping was in order.
They also claimed that most people don't do that, because they like the popping.

I found it rather annoying too and stuck with the stock ones.

Cheers,
D.
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 05:32:00 AM »
Email Jens at Boosterplug and tell him about your issue, see what he would advise.  He has a money back guarantee so you're not out much if you decide to give it a try.  Take a look at this thread:

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=104850.0

Page 2 discusses the Boosterplug, page 3 gets into Beetle maps.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 05:59:01 AM »
Do you notice it all the time, or just when using heavy engine braking?   I have mistral short pipes on mine and only have some popping under heavy engine braking that I rarely do on the V7.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 05:59:01 AM »

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 06:45:00 AM »
Not a fan of the booster plugs and just dumpping fuel in.  My 02 stone had aftermarket mufflers and H pipe, and popped bad. I remapped the ecu and its nice now. I would look into a remap
Paul B

Offline John Warner

• Gosling
  • Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not . . .
    • Stelvio/V85 Owners Group FB
Mistrals popping
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 07:26:10 AM »
My take on the 'Booster' Plug things . . .

You have some stones in your Boots, that make it awkward and uncomfortable to walk.
Do you;
A. Put on two or three pairs of expensive padded Socks (the 'Booster’ Unit).
B. Remove the Stones (Remapping).

I'm guessing most sane people would go with 'B'.

Remapping a Guzzi costs next-to-nothing.

You need GuzziDiag (free to download).
TunerPro (free to download)
Lonelec Cable set (£25/$35)
An old Laptop (£50?)

You can open your current Map with TunerPro, and simply shut-off the Injectors on a closed Throttle, above 2500RPM.
the result is zero popping on the over-run, better Engine Braking, and a slight improvement in fuel economy, as you're not throwing Fuel into the Engine when it's not needed.

https://www.griso.org/GuzziDiag%20for%2015M-15RC-5AM.pdf?fbclid=IwAR07ciRRuPw-ui5gNmktDo1tBXt2lcMJ_VxvZsRldqEUb0-rhZkcT3v9JlY

Doc out . . .
Stelvio Owners Group on FB ~ https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 07:56:30 AM »
I had the same issues when installing the Hpipe on my Calvin. The issue was a very minute exhaust leak, which can cause the deceleration popping.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 11:40:32 AM by Ncdan »

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 01:58:31 PM »
I don't know where to start. I have a Booster Plug on my 1400 Audace. I researched it quite a bit and from what I learned it mainly modifies the fueling when the bike is running in open loop mode. This is when the bike is running at or a bit above idle up to around 2500 rpm or accelerating at which time it enriches the mixture. When the bike is in closed loop which is during the rest of the operation of the bike. My bike runs a lot better but is not near as well as I would like. So on to a Beetle map.
I purchased the cables and got a laptop up and running. I then requested a map on the Griso site. I got an email back stating that there was no map available for my bike that he was still working on it. I kind of looked at the TunerPro site and a lot of it is beyond my capabilities so I am still running on the BoosterPlug. I will say that I have checked spark plugs and it looks like it is running pretty normally. If anyone has any info to the otherwise BoosterPlug or maps I would be gratefull.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 02:02:20 PM »
In my experience, the booster plug wil work.  Re maping is better, but is more envolved, and could cost more.   I ran a booster plug for years worked pretty good, but finally took it in to a great dealer tuned it so good it didn't need one anymore.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Charlie

Offline TalbotMatra

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2021, 02:51:36 PM »
On my V9 with Zard exhausts the use of a K&N high performance air filter was helpful. No poppings anymore.

Ciao
Lars
Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber,

Offline gentlemanjim

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 05:46:54 PM »
My take on the 'Booster' Plug things . . .

You have some stones in your Boots, that make it awkward and uncomfortable to walk.
Do you;
A. Put on two or three pairs of expensive padded Socks (the 'Booster’ Unit).
B. Remove the Stones (Remapping).

I'm guessing most sane people would go with 'B'.

Remapping a Guzzi costs next-to-nothing.

You need GuzziDiag (free to download).
TunerPro (free to download)
Lonelec Cable set (£25/$35)
An old Laptop (£50?)

You can open your current Map with TunerPro, and simply shut-off the Injectors on a closed Throttle, above 2500RPM.
the result is zero popping on the over-run, better Engine Braking, and a slight improvement in fuel economy, as you're not throwing Fuel into the Engine when it's not needed.

https://www.griso.org/GuzziDiag%20for%2015M-15RC-5AM.pdf?fbclid=IwAR07ciRRuPw-ui5gNmktDo1tBXt2lcMJ_VxvZsRldqEUb0-rhZkcT3v9JlY

I like the idea of remapping for certain.  I'm highly computer literate, but fear screwing it up.  How can I find someone in south FL to do it for me.  Glad to pay for it

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 05:12:47 AM »
I like the idea of remapping for certain.  I'm highly computer literate, but fear screwing it up.  How can I find someone in south FL to do it for me.  Glad to pay for it

Really if you at all computer literate it will be a breeze.  Read through this thread..  https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96957.0

Really the big thing is to make sure you save the stock map..  That way if you mess it up, you can always go back. Its really not hard, and I muddled through it easy enough.
Paul B

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 05:35:21 AM »
Isn't this booster plug the one tricks the ECU into richening the mixture by feeding false engine temp to it, or something similar?
The enrichment is a straight shot throughout the rev range in addition to what the ECU would normally provide with no calibration as such, unlike a Power Commander.
A very crude method from what I remember.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here