Author Topic: V7 Fuel filter change  (Read 3940 times)

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
V7 Fuel filter change
« on: May 11, 2021, 12:38:15 PM »
Changing mine on a 2013 Stone with 17k miles. The filter was in good shape, not squishy and looked like it could last for a while.Got the kit from Guzzitech and like others I got sent the wrong size clamps. 2 Oetiker that were too small and 2 screw type that were too big.Makes you wonder. 🙄

nodejs geojson
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 12:45:01 PM by slowmover »

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: V7 Fuel filter change
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 05:39:06 PM »
I would like to find out what you discover in the  Milano.   Any tutorials on how to best examine for the filter?  Or change it out?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 07:33:39 AM »
Just for the record, you do understand it is not supposed to be swollen like that, correct???

Having said that, you are fortunate it has held up so well for that long.

When I did the one on the Norge I had, it was less years and I have no idea of the miles but I had taken it places. Anyway, the one I took out looked just like your picture but had the added bonus of being very pliable. Very happy I dealt with it on my terms, rather than being stuck along the side of the road. I intend to find out what is in the tank of my Milano, and if necessary, deal with sooner than later.

Bummer that they didn't have the proper size clamps for you.

edit: BTW, I'm glad you were able to deal with it on your terms.

John Henry

I really wish you guys would stop fear mongering.

8 years and he said it felt strong.

As I've said before when I did mine on the 13 after a number of years a pressure tested it to more than THREE TIMES what the fuel system generates and it held fine.

I still say that generally speaking of they are gonna fail it's early and because of a relative defect in assembly.

I'll let you know in a few more years when we do the one on the III.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 08:09:59 AM »
There’s been a lot of discussion on this in the past. Kev even did a pressure test on one some years back.Do a search and you’ll see.I didn’t intend to stir this all up again but I figured I had it out might as well show it.I couldn’t find the Oetiker clamps at any auto parts,hardware, or plumbing supply stores so now I’m waiting a week after ordering online for delivery.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 08:09:59 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 08:12:11 AM »
There’s been a lot of discussion on this in the past. Kev even did a pressure test on one some years back.Do a search and you’ll see.I didn’t intend to stir this all up again but I figured I had it out might as well show it.I couldn’t find the Oetiker clamps at any auto parts,hardware, or plumbing supply stores so now I’m waiting a week after ordering online for delivery.

:thumb:

I think it's good info.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Zenermaniac

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 10:04:39 AM »

I just did my V9 at less than 2k miles and it was soft and looked like it could blow at any time. I used 3/8” clamps from Lowe’s plumbing section. They seemed like they would be a little too big but clamped down just fine. Getting the assembly out was the biggest challenge. If MG had just made the opening a quarter inch bigger it would be easier.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 10:33:18 AM »
I just did my V9 at less than 2k miles and it was soft and looked like it could blow at any time. I used 3/8” clamps from Lowe’s plumbing section. They seemed like they would be a little too big but clamped down just fine. Getting the assembly out was the biggest challenge. If MG had just made the opening a quarter inch bigger it would be easier.

Looks and feel are deceiving.

The one I pressure tested to ~120 psi looked swollen.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 11:26:24 AM »
I sourced a replacement filter for my 2017 V7III but when I got it out it was an all metal one so perhaps the factory have taken care of it.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline subin

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 03:28:29 PM »
My 2019 V7 III Night Pack also has an all metal filter. I found this out by using a similar USB scope Zoom Zoom posted from Amazon.
So, I have an extra never installed Guzzitech all metal filter if anyone wants it for $10 plus shipping. I can probably throw in a couple of Oetiker clamps, if you let me know the size you need.
2019 V7 III Night Pack
2012 Ducati M796

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 04:13:29 PM »

Do you have the part number of the Oetiker clamps you ordered?  Did you find the correct size screws?

I've got the right filter for my (new to me) 2014 V7.  I'm trying to source the clamps as well. I didn't realize there were screws that I needed to replace.

I have an appointment booked at the mechanic in a few weeks to go over the bike and do a service and would like to try and get this fuel filter done a the same time.

Then, once I have a good baseline for service on it, I'll start doing everything myself but this fuel filter is something I would prefer a pro does.

Thanks
James

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 04:45:55 PM »

2020 V85 as seen from inside the tank.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 06:28:04 PM »
I really wish you guys would stop fear mongering.

8 years and he said it felt strong.

As I've said before when I did mine on the 13 after a number of years a pressure tested it to more than THREE TIMES what the fuel system generates and it held fine.

I still say that generally speaking of they are gonna fail it's early and because of a relative defect in assembly.

I'll let you know in a few more years when we do the one on the III.

Well aren't you special .

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 08:24:09 PM »
Well aren't you special .

Dusty

If by that you mean I'm willing to test and report results and not just feelings that it "looked" weak, yup.

I don't recall any other reports of testing.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 08:24:28 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 08:46:04 PM »
Kev's input has always been greatly appreciated.

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 07:17:27 AM »
A metal filter will likely never split or separate. A 1/2 plastic 1/2 Metal designed for diesel fuel has a higher chance of separating or failing. It's pretty obvious that there are likely thousands of Guzzi's running around with the owner being unaware, and have lasted for years. Some have failed immediately, some after years, some seem to never fail.

Though I have heard of several failures, I dont recall people talking about where the filter failed. The assumption was that it split where the plastic and metal were joined, but from my quick exam, I could see the barb deforming and slipping out of the fuel hose.

It's a known failure, even if rare and easily remedied. I changed mine when I took the tank off. 20 minute job and done. I didn't do any fancy pressure tests, but the plastic was soft and I could even pinch the plastic barb and make it deform with my fingers it was so soft. Would it have failed? No idea, but I was glad I changed it and take one possibility away from Murphy........ 

Not sure what the fuss is about. It looks like Guzzi finally exhausted their supply and are now using all metal filters. Notably, this 1/2 and 1/2 filter is still on the market, so the fact Guzzi moved away from it says something.

**Tangentially, when I first got my Norge, it was under warranty. MI swapped out the fuel pump assembly due to an inaccurate fuel level sensor (didn't go below 1/2). Micah told me that he made sure the new unit had the metal filter as there was a problem with the 1/2 plastic.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 07:28:24 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2021, 08:15:56 AM »
Hey, isn’t a forum like this the place to get different information and perspectives then make a decision YOU feel is prudent?  When I changed mine in my former ‘14 V7 Special, the plastic half was swollen like all the others posted here (for some stupid reason it’s still on a shelf).   I tried my best to pull the 2 halves apart, and couldn’t.   Having said that, I’m glad I changed it out.  Piece of mind for ME.  And I’m sure Maynard, the new owner, was glad it had an all metal filter as he rode it 2500 miles back to Denver the LONG way. 

Then again, I was left stranded and repairing the pump inside my ‘09 Calvin’s (first new bike) tank along Rt. 95 en route to the Maryland rally.  This was 3 years after Jason Speaker “supposedly” changed out the hoses pre-delivery for the proper fully submersible lines.   They had turned to mush, and I had to do it correctly in my garage when I got home.  And this was long after breaking down TWICE heading to the WNY rally the same day I bought the bike.  That was a pinched and worn stator wire incorrectly routed by the factory under the crash bar bracket.  I probably spent a total of 10 hours on the side of the road with that bike.  I still miss it, and AFAIK it’s still going strong with the current owner Tony.

Piece of mind…
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 08:18:58 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2021, 08:55:22 AM »

Well Kev, by your own admission, you tested ONE filter. Good for you, that surely provides more valid info than the people who have experienced failure. Oh wait, one filter three times.

Fear mongering???

After Carl Allison, and others, actually had a failure, I decided to deal with mine, as did you on your B1100. I did mine just before leaving for Birmingham, Al.

You act as if you're offended that you spent 20 bucks and some time in your garage. As I have said many times, would you prefer to deal with it in your garage or along the road. I can tell you that along the road is a PITA!

You might remember my friend Jan. She had an accident with the Nevada demo bike at the National in New Cumberland, the same year your tent flooded. She bought that bike, and a few years later, 120 miles from home on a Sunday morning, we were leaving the New York rally. Just as we were into the edge of Westfield, her bike died. I was fortunate to find Dan Speaker had not left the rally site yet. He had come in his truck with demo bikes. We got Jan's bike loaded up and unloaded gear off mine so we could get home 2 up. Then, a few days later, we ran down to Steubenville from NE Ohio to retrieve her bike and our camping gear. That is about 90 miles one way. Way more screwing around than I or she wanted.

As I recall from when this was a more hot topic, someone looked up the specs of the filters in question and discovered they were not meant for immersion. Fuel additives, combined with ethanol may exacerbate the decay of the plastic, IDK. Fuel blends vary by region around the country, so neither you nor I can make a definitive call on who may be more or less affected by these variances.

Now, you can argue it is a non issue because, well, you tested ONE filter, albeit three times, or be aware of the possibility of a failure. You know full well people have had issues, and yes, the vast majority have not.   

If I were to see you getting on your bike and noticed cord showing, would you prefer I make you aware of it or would you prefer to ride away in ignorant bliss? Anyone would appreciate being made aware of that.

So, if you're a member of this board and someday you are in the minority who become stranded along the road because of this, just who do you think that person will be upset with? John for advocating spending a few bucks and doing some work in the comfort of your garage, or Kev who says it doesn't happen?

I'm simply promoting awareness. What anybody decides to do, or not do, is their own business.

John Henry

I think you are missing the point of my theory.

I'm not saying they can't fail.

I'm suggesting most won't and those that will should fail earlier not later.

Some, like yourself, seem to suggest failure is a fait au complet and your evidence is that some have failed and some are spongy.

I'm not the least bit offended by your stance. But I obviously disagree that everyone must be made to feel that they must replace this filter or they will eventually be stranded. There's a lot of Guzzi riders or potential riders who don't have the skill or inclination to do the job. And, at least in the first year or two it's under warranty. And, as we've seen, perhaps the issue is finally over with an OEM part change.

All I'm saying is let's be fair and balanced in presenting the evidence.

Swollen just isn't really evidence that it will fail.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 08:59:07 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 09:04:19 AM »
 :thewife: :violent1: :bike-037:

I changed mine out and my tubes sit on the shelf.
I ride alone and there is enough crap to go wrong as it is. If a few things can be eliminated in the comfort of your own garage, why not.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2021, 09:07:30 AM »
I switched mine on a 2015 V7.  The Mehle part number, when cross referenced specified that the OEM filter was not rated for ethanol.  In fact, it was only specked for diesel fuel.  Changed to an all metal rated for use.  As above, preventive procedure to eliminate a potential issue.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2021, 09:15:30 AM »
 Just replace the damn thing and be done with it . I don't mind answering the calls so much after these things fail on the road , but will refer the next incident to Kev  :evil:

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2021, 10:08:17 AM »
Just replace the damn thing and be done with it . I don't mind answering the calls so much after these things fail on the road , but will refer the next incident to Kev  :evil:

Dusty

I'll take Eastern PA, NJ, and maybe DE.   :thumb:

And in a couple of years I'll report on what I find in Jenn's V7III.

Fair dinkum?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2021, 10:59:13 AM »
Learning there were some failures of the combination plastic and metal fuel filters I planned on changing the fuel filter in my V7 IIIR at the first service, At 429 miles, due to an abs problem. The plastic portion was irregularly swollen. I was told all big blocks use metal  fuel filters. IIRC it was $1.78 more, over the counter, at my local automotive spares shop.

I am rather consistent regarding preventive maintenance having logged 8.37 million mi. at retirement. (7 years ago, not including mc miles)

Two years ago I had the rather highly esteemed Caruso kit installed in the Daytona, (replacing oil pump and entire timing gear set), rather than risk destroying the engine. Bad things will always happen. Too often it's more than an inconvenience.   R3~

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2021, 11:30:36 AM »
I'll take Eastern PA, NJ, and maybe DE.   :thumb:

And in a couple of years I'll report on what I find in Jenn's V7III.

Fair dinkum?

Nope , you must cover everywhere WG reaches .

Oh , that's not ho to use the Ozzie term , sorry  :evil:

Still in ?

Dusty
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:32:22 AM by oldbike54 »

Offline guzzi771

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2021, 01:13:34 PM »
My 2017 V7III half plastic filter failed at less than 900 miles . Lucky it was in my garage if it was on the side of the road I would not be a MG owner today . AF1 fixed it under warranty so when I got my 2018 V7III Carbon Shine first thing I did was change out the half plastic filter that looked like it was about to pop open with a metal one from af1

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2021, 04:35:04 PM »
Nope , you must cover everywhere WG reaches .

Oh , that's not ho to use the Ozzie term , sorry  :evil:

Still in ?

Dusty

Oh well, you have my final offer.

Question. If it's still important how many of the stellar by reputation dealers do it for each new bike?

Hamlin's?

Cadre?

Anyone?

Can you find one?!?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2021, 04:53:24 PM »
Oh well, you have my final offer.

Question. If it's still important how many of the stellar by reputation dealers do it for each new bike?

Hamlin's?

Cadre?

Anyone?

Can you find one?!?

How many of them are saying on here not to do it ?  You fail again  :evil:

Look bubba , just admit it , several folks have had a problem with this , it is much easier to deal with at home than stranded on the road . It's OK to simply say "I might be wrong" , no one will think less of you . That's all anyone is saying , it's a good idea to take the precaution . Call it maintenance, whatever .

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2021, 04:58:18 PM »
How many of them are saying on here not to do it ?  You fail again  :evil:

Look bubba , just admit it , several folks have had a problem with this , it is much easier to deal with at home than stranded on the road . It's OK to simply say "I might be wrong" , no one will think less of you . That's all anyone is saying , it's a good idea to take the precaution . Call it maintenance, whatever .

Dusty

Ha what a joke.

So you can't come up with a single dealer that is proactively changing these filters but I fail?

I've never said that it hasn't happened to people.

I've never said that it can't happen.

I've never said that someone can't decide to change it out for piece of mind.

The only thing I've done is question how big the risk is.

To listen to some replies you would think it's inevitable.

I'm saying there seems to be not insignificant evidence that you might never have a problem.

That's it

Just a different point of view on the risk assessment.

I can't believe how a few can't stand to hear that different point of view.

I'm simply challenging that narrative.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:59:23 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2021, 06:19:55 PM »
Death and taxes, that's it................. ................
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2021, 06:32:27 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Oetiker-16700011-Stepless-Clamp-Closed/dp/B0100V1P3O
I didn’t get them yet so I don’t know if they’re ok. You don’t need any other clamps with screws.

How many of these clamps do we need?  Is 4 the right number from pictures I've seen online?

Just to confirm, the parts required for this job are the metal fuel filter and the clamps?  Any other parts I'm missing?

Thanks
James

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2021, 08:20:52 PM »
How many of these clamps do we need?  Is 4 the right number from pictures I've seen online?

Just to confirm, the parts required for this job are the metal fuel filter and the clamps?  Any other parts I'm missing?

Thanks
James

Another zip tie to hold it all together when you wrestle it back into the tank.  Remember, the filter is directional.

Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here