General Category > General Discussion

2008 Norge questions

(1/8) > >>

jdmckay:
Hello everyone,

1st time poster here.  65 yrs old, semi retired.

Briefly, sold my last bike ('79 Bonneville) in 1984... have not been on a motorcycle since.  Restored a few old classic SAAB's and '91 Alfa Spyder, am a decent DIY'er.

Just in last few weeks have decided to get another, do several months of back-road cruising though pacific NW and across Canada.  Just take my time, go wherever I want to go.  Have begun doing some googling/research on "what's out there" b/c I haven't paid attention to motorcycles at all in 30 years.  Started with just a notion I wanted a Sporty Cruiser, something comfortable on long hauls that handles well, very dependable and very reliable.  Thought probably I'd end up with one of the Japanese big 4.  Want something leaner then Goldwing (just too much stuff).

From what I've read, BMW's not so reliable anymore (I was never a fan anyway) and Harley not my cup of tea.  MG was an afterthought at 1st, then have seen a couple for sale here and am intrigued.  From what I've read so far, seems they are extremely reliable and several models seem just what I had in mind.  Found this forum, have read a lot of threads and now a few questions and/or best advice.

In particular, there is a '08 Norge 1200 2V for sale here with just over 3k miles for around $5k  Completely stock.  Getting my MC license on Monday, will take it for a spin next week.  Wanted to see what the experts here have to say about this bike, what modifications or (???) it may need, and if rock solid reliability. 

I am also not clear if this motor has the flat tappet issue and needs roller upgrade.  If so, any recommendations on a shop qualified to do it nearest Albuquerque?  If there's a thread here somewhere that covers years/motors with tappet issue I'd appreciate the link.

I am also a little fuzzy about MG's continued production.  There is mention on their website about "trying to get parts out" and it looks like they are only doing limited production Special additions.  Is getting parts a problem?  Are there good 3rd party after market manufacturers? 

I'm all ears!!!

guzzisteve:
Jump in on the 08, nice reliable 2V & tappet issue is 8V motor you are safe. Parts are not an issue so far on the CARC bikes. Enjoy

Tkelly:
Buy the Norge if it fits but take a rider safety course,37 years is a long time .

Gliderjohn:
If you are getting back into the riding game the only thing I would warn you about is that a Norge, especially with a full tank is more top heavy than it looks and they are a wee bit difficult to upright. Once rolling great rides however.
GliderJohn

guzzi ride:
Sounds like a great buy. The Norge is a great under rated motorcycle. Now go rack up the miles and post some pics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version