Author Topic: Stelvio - some questions  (Read 353 times)

Offline Glerin

• New Egg
Stelvio - some questions
« on: January 18, 2022, 06:11:28 PM »
Hi, I'm going to get my first Moto Guzzi, Stelvio 2015. I have a few questions if anyone can advise.

1. The motorcycle has a modified rear shock, from ORAM company. With air inflating and Öhlins spring. It's new to me. Does anyone know what advantages it has over the original?

2. I know that the latest models have a redesigned fuel map. Does it still make sense to think about flashing? If so, which one is recommend? Still a "Beetle" map?

3. What is the capacity of OEM ALU top box? The sides have 37l, as I read somewhere. Are they good quality or does it make sense to think about alternatives?

Thank you for every answer.

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
Re: Stelvio - some questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 06:20:18 PM »
Hi, I'm going to get my first Moto Guzzi, Stelvio 2015. I have a few questions if anyone can advise.

1. The motorcycle has a modified rear shock, from ORAM company. With air inflating and Öhlins spring. It's new to me. Does anyone know what advantages it has over the original?

2. I know that the latest models have a redesigned fuel map. Does it still make sense to think about flashing? If so, which one is recommend? Still a "Beetle" map?

3. What is the capacity of OEM ALU top box? The sides have 37l, as I read somewhere. Are they good quality or does it make sense to think about alternatives?

Thank you for every answer.

1.  I've never heard of ORAM.  Have you measured sag?  Is the spring rate appropriate for your weight, etc.?
2. A Beetle map is an improvement over the Guzzi map.
3. The side cases are of reasonable quality.  They're made by SW-Motech.
4. You'll get much more response and help from the Stelvio thread on ADVRider. 
Tim

Offline ridingron

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 12:50:40 AM »
Is it air or nitrogen?

Offline Glerin

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 04:01:01 AM »
Is it air or nitrogen?

I just got this answer from oram from Italy:

"Nitrogen 16 bar  rebound to complete close open 16/18 click"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 04:01:01 AM »

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 10:43:43 AM »
Never heard of that shock.  Once the nitrogen pressure is set, then most leave it alone until the shock needs to be rebuilt.  So basically, no need to mess with that.

Is the person that originally got the shock about your weight?  That would help determine if the spring rate was good for you.  For example, say the person that got the shock weighs 225lbs and you weigh 200 lbs, should be good.  But if you are like 170 lbs then the spring is probably too stiff.  I would assume that shock has adjustable spring pre-load?  That might need some tweaking.

As for the fuel mapping, how does it run?  If it runs fine then don't worry about it. Not sure if you have read much on advrider.com yet, but they seem to love a map from a user named Xlratr.  On my Stelvio, I tried that one and had lots of decel popping (bike had an aftermarket more open exhaust).  Tried the Beetle map and it fix 99% of the issue. 

For the luggage, I thought it was all great.  I certainly would not change it just for one that is a wee bit better.  One thing to consider, if you are really going offroad in challenging conditions, you might want to run bags on the sides vs. the hard cases.   Put your unbreakable stuff in side bags, breakable stuff in the stock top case ... then if you dump it on the side you don't mess up an aluminum side case.  The Stelvio is no different from any others in this situation, same thing with a GS or Super Tenere, etc. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here