Author Topic: Filing Taxes, pay someone or do yourself?  (Read 10329 times)

bpreynolds

Filing Taxes, pay someone or do yourself?
« on: February 04, 2015, 10:33:22 AM »
Last year for a number of complicated property issues involving inheritance and that sorta thing, I hired someone for the first time to file our taxes.  It was worth it, not so much for the return but just to make sure all was done per spec.  This year we sold a home and bought another one so I am again wondering if maybe I should hire someone just make sure everything gets dotted and crossed.  Or maybe not.  I can't seem to find the tax documents my accountant submitted last year and I need them to file this year, of course.  Anyhow, what do you guys do?  File your own or not?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Filing Taxes, pay someone or do yourself?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 10:55:16 AM »
Ha ha, did you see my post in the Cali thread.

Yeah, we pay... have ever since the business partnership K1 started to really complicate matters.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 11:05:15 AM »
I think under current tax laws, the first $250k captial gain from a house sale is exempt.

having sold several houses over the years, you just have to consider the sales price of the house minus your original costs and capital improvements in the house for the capital gain.  Then you don't pay taxes on it if you buy a more expensive house or the gain is less than $250k.  (I haven't sold a house in 20 years, but it works something like that.  The hardest part is figuring the basis which only you can do in the first place since you know how to compile those figures.)
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 11:07:45 AM »
I had someone do my taxes for a number of years even though my return was only moderately complicated. The owner of my company, who has a very complex return (owns a company, has rental properties, etc.) started using Turbo Tax a few years ago and said it was very simple. Since he is a computer luddite, I figured I ought to be able to do it also and started last year.

For the first time, it was pretty tedious, but I feel like it was done correctly and will continue to do it till I see some reason not to. I have business expenses, get a K1 and a 10-99 in addition to W-2, have mortgage interest, etc. so it's not a simple return but not terribly complicated either.

Having said that, statistics show that people that have their return done by pros get audited less and it is nice to have someone to turn to if you do run into an issue with the IRS. At the end of the day, you just have to decide how much that is worth to you.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 11:07:45 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:09:16 AM »
Oh yeah, we bought and sold last year too...

...I'm waiting to ask my accountant if any of that is deductible.

Like I know property taxes are deductible on the fed return, how about deed transfer taxes?

Are there any other settlement costs that might be deductible?

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

bpreynolds

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:10:25 AM »
Ha ha, did you see my post in the Cali thread.

Yeah, we pay... have ever since the business partnership K1 started to really complicate matters.

;-T  I did and it reminded me that I need to either get on the stick with ours or get on the horn with the accountant.  I could never manage anything complicated tax wise by myself like last year - let alone what it sounds like you guys must manage - so I felt fine with hiring one last year.  This year, dunno.  Still trying to decide.  I used to use Taxslayer all the time and it was handy if not a little tempting/testy; it keeps a little tab/total in the upper corner as to your refund or payment as you work through the process.  

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 11:18:14 AM »
Tax law is so complicated that even my friend Jimmy, who is an accountant, hires it done. Needless to say, we do, too.. although Dorcia does most of the grunt work after our yearly tax meeting in December. She's just finishing up, and mumbling something about not being able to do this much longer..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 11:27:16 AM »
Tax law is so complicated that even my friend Jimmy, who is an accountant, hires it done. Needless to say, we do, too.. although Dorcia does most of the grunt work after our yearly tax meeting in December. She's just finishing up, and mumbling something about not being able to do this much longer..

I did my own taxes on paper up through 2008.   Although my affairs aren't all that involved, I do have a few foreign investments, pay some foreign tax, have "qualified" and "non-qualified" dividends, capital losses and gains from stock purchases and sales, contributions to HSAs and IRAs, and stuff like that.  A W-2, a pension statement, and a dozen 1099 forms.   I was hanging in there, but it got to be where I could never get both the State and Federal returns exactly right, and I'd get letters, and have to re-file, etc.   Big pain in the rear.

In 2009, I gritted my teeth, quashed my luddite tendencies, and started using TurboTax.  Although I HATE HATE HATE paying $90 a year for the privilege, it is really well worth it.   It steps you through the whole deal, all your credits, income, deductions, asks pertinent questions, reminds you of credits and deductions you might not know about ... and I haven't had any of the 10 state/federal returns I've filed since then questioned or returned.  AND takes about 1/3 of the time of doing it on paper.   Couple of hours and I'm done .... So I highly recommend it.

On the other hand, if your world is more complicated than that, calling in a pro is probably a good idea ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 11:42:20 AM »
Turbo tax! Holds your hand all the way, it gets better every year. The fee is deductible Lannis
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »
 Over the years I generally did my own taxes. Later on when I had a contracting business an accountant friend did them for a few years.Then I did them my self using Turbo Tax for then on..

kirby1923

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 11:48:44 AM »
I'm a believer in turbo tax also, and my tax situation is ..uh..complicated!

mike

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 11:56:05 AM »
My rule of thumb is:
If TurboTax shows that I get a big refund, then I stick with TurboTax.
If TurboTax shows that I owe a lot, then I call my accountant and have him do my taxes.

:BEER:
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »
I'm a believer in turbo tax also, and my tax situation is ..uh..complicated!

mike

;-T

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 12:01:35 PM »
On the other hand, if your world is more complicated than that, calling in a pro is probably a good idea ....

Yeah, it is.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline jreagan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 12:34:52 PM »
I think under current tax laws, the first $250k captial gain from a house sale is exempt.

That isn't true anymore.  All gains from the sale of a primary residence are exempt from all capital gains taxes.  You are confusing it with a new ACA law that adds a different tax (and much smaller than the capital gains tax) on home sales with a PROFIT of $250K or more for people making above a certain amount (ie, rich people selling big houses for big profit).  I doubt many of us here have sold a house and PROFITed more than $250K.  If you have, you are good investor or have struck oil on your property.

health.burgess.house.gov/uploadedfiles/one_page_on_unearned_medicare_tax.pdf

I also have a K-1 from a LLC with my sister.  We have an accountant to do the business returns and give us K-1s.  TurboTax handles that K-1 just fine for our personal return.
"Loud Valves Save Lives"

2004 Triumph Bonneville T100
2006 Breva 1100 (red)
Nicholasville KY USA

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 12:39:21 PM »
The wife and I drop all our tax stuff off to a local tax service. It's a one lady show and the prices are inexpensive enough that I'm fooling it.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »
I use turbo tax.  I was paying more to the accountants than I was saving by using them.  For $99 TT saves my last year's stuff and gives me a start point for the current return.  As others said, they do a LOT of handholding and warm/fuzzy rechecking and 'final answer' stuff that can be annoying until you realize that wisdom tooth reduction tax credit doesn't apply to a toothless person no matter how many times they recheck your status for you.

Other things that are good about TT are that they give you a sense of your audit risk at the end of the process.  They also run you through your state process if your state has one.  They also know what forms and schedules you need to use based on the questions they ask, and you have the option of either electronically filing or having the paper printed and send it in the old fashioned way*.  Finally, it's a non-linear process.  You can work on your slumlord numbers in the morning, spend lunch with your dependents, and return to your rentals in the PM. 

*  Be really careful on the fees and refund choices.  That's where TT is making the money on the 'free' personal returns.  Some of the 'conveniences' they offer for payment and refund delivery can cost a snotload of money.  My guess is that this is true for any of these kinds of companies.

Offline JoeB

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 02:47:41 PM »
I've used Turbo tax deluxe over the years and have been very happy with it. This year I found I need to upgrade to the next level to get some of the features I had and need. Also computer system requirements have changed. Some of the reviews on Amazon tell the story better than I can. Going to try the H&R this time.
It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 03:03:55 PM »
I used H&R until I did tech support for the local office.  It's a "company store" operation that's more like a Tupperware business model than what you'd expect in that they require the local office to purchase all materials and equipment from them, usually at ridiculously inflated prices for obsolete computers and such.  They keep their claims of minimal audits true by being extremely conservative with your return.  Also, if you do have a problem, H&R goes to bat for 'you' by explaining to the IRS how they prepare taxes.  They in effect defend themselves as the preparer, not you as the taxpayer.

Offline JoeB

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 04:32:16 PM »
rodekyll, thanks for the heads up. I meant their software. Know a couple of the locals that actually work there. Not the sharpest knives in the drawer.
It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 04:50:18 PM »
I'v used Turbo for years.  Tried H & R Block 3-4 years back because it was cheaper, but the interface was not nearly as slick, went back to Turbo the next year.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 05:00:20 PM »
That isn't true anymore.  All gains from the sale of a primary residence are exempt from all capital gains taxes.  You are confusing it with a new ACA law that adds a different tax (and much smaller than the capital gains tax) on home sales with a PROFIT of $250K or more for people making above a certain amount (ie, rich people selling big houses for big profit).  I doubt many of us here have sold a house and PROFITed more than $250K.  If you have, you are good investor or have struck oil on your property.

health.burgess.house.gov/uploadedfiles/one_page_on_unearned_medicare_tax.pdf

I also have a K-1 from a LLC with my sister.  We have an accountant to do the business returns and give us K-1s.  TurboTax handles that K-1 just fine for our personal return.

Profit = Capital Gain  (same thang)

"When you sell your primary residence, you can make up to $250,000 in profit if you're a single owner, twice that if you're married, and not owe any capital gains taxes."

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/money-guides/home-sale-capital-gains-1.aspx#ixzz3QotoeGLF
Follow us: @Bankrate on Twitter | Bankrate on Facebook
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 05:23:51 PM »
rodekyll, thanks for the heads up. I meant their software. Know a couple of the locals that actually work there. Not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

I have no experience with their software.  I agree about their people.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 08:58:51 PM »
LowRyter has repaired a misconception re capital gains tax exclusion on the sale of a principal residence, having stated that it is $250K for a single homeowner, $500K for a couple.  Note:  The term primary residence carries certain IRS code requirements that must be met.  The residence must be your homesteaded property (if your state has this deduction from property taxes, as many, including California, do).  You must vote from that residence.  Your drivers license must indicate that address.  Your IRS forms 1040 should have that address, too.  The period of principal residence to qualify a property for the exemption is "24 of the 60 months prior to sale".  When I sold my first house qualifying for this exemption, I had, as I do now, two homes.  To prove the 24 months of residence, I saved my credit card receipts for more than that many months.  These showed purchases all made in the immediate area of the home claimed as a "principal residence.

Next year, I plan to do the same tax exempt sale and am already assembling the data to support the legitimacy of our principal residence, tax exempt claim.  The IRS may or may not chose to contest the validity of your principal residence claim.  Careful documentation, with iron clad records, is the key to a "clean audit".   Been there, done that.

Brian; don't be so cheap.  Pay a professional.  Or, at least get Turbo Tax. Anyone who admits to drilling the wrong idle jet plugs on a Triumph T'Bird is not to be trusted with complex regulations.  Just sayin'. 

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

bpreynolds

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 09:22:13 PM »
Brian; don't be so cheap.  Pay a professional.  Or, at least get Turbo Tax. Anyone who admits to drilling the wrong idle jet plugs on a Triumph T'Bird is not to be trusted with complex regulations.  Just sayin'. 

Ralph

Mr. Kentucky acknowledges your point and may leave tax filing to the tax men.  That way I can get back to work on the T-Bird.  Btw, the floats, they go outside the carb, right?

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 10:30:27 PM »
LowRyter has repaired a misconception re capital gains tax exclusion on the sale of a principal residence, having stated that it is $250K for a single homeowner, $500K for a couple.  Note:  The term primary residence carries certain IRS code requirements that must be met.  The residence must be your homesteaded property (if your state has this deduction from property taxes, as many, including California, do).  You must vote from that residence.  Your drivers license must indicate that address.  Your IRS forms 1040 should have that address, too.  The period of principal residence to qualify a property for the exemption is "24 of the 60 months prior to sale".  When I sold my first house qualifying for this exemption, I had, as I do now, two homes.  To prove the 24 months of residence, I saved my credit card receipts for more than that many months.  These showed purchases all made in the immediate area of the home claimed as a "principal residence.

Next year, I plan to do the same tax exempt sale and am already assembling the data to support the legitimacy of our principal residence, tax exempt claim.  The IRS may or may not chose to contest the validity of your principal residence claim.  Careful documentation, with iron clad records, is the key to a "clean audit".   Been there, done that.

Brian; don't be so cheap.  Pay a professional.  Or, at least get Turbo Tax. Anyone who admits to drilling the wrong idle jet plugs on a Triumph T'Bird is not to be trusted with complex regulations.  Just sayin'.  

Ralph

I guess to bottom line this (my original point), if you made less than $250k profit on sale of your house, you don't have to worry about it affecting your taxes.  

BTW- I use H&R Block Tax Cut.  Only because I want the program to "read" last year's taxes, so I don't have to fill out all the paperwork again.  It just picks up my bank, investment, charities and I just edit.  For some reason Turbo Tax won't do it unless you used Turbo Tax the previous year.  I find that this is the most time consuming part of doing taxes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:35:27 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 11:09:03 PM »
Interesting - I used turbo tax for years, did it myself the past few  and have just completed a dry run using the irs fill it in forms .  All we have a 3 1099-R from retirements, 1099-SSA for my mini SS payment, and 2 1099-R for some tax sheltered annuities (they got me on these, we had them hold some pre-tax money out of my wife's pay so we could take possession of it when we are retired and making less money-theoretically less tax, yeah well harummph).  After all the skullduggery and crap, it comes out tax is about 10% of income...couldn't we simply tithe on it all and call it a day? ;D         ps..used to have K-1 partnership, sales of stocks etc and boy did it fatten up the files.

Offline guzzidoo

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 11:20:58 PM »
Once you have all the receipts and what not added up, you have done the most tedious part of the job. Plugging in the numbers is easy, why pay some joker to do that? Used to use Turbo Tax, switched to H & R Block a few years ago, works great for my one man electrical contracting business.
'97 Ducati 900SS
'98 EV
Galetto 192
Stornello 160 Sport
Airone 250
Moto Morini 3 1/2   X 2
Mondial 125
Gilera 125, 98 Giubileo, 150 Sport
Vespa 125 Primavera, 50
2013 Can Am Spyder (Wife's Ski-Doo bike)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 12:15:39 PM »
We use TurboTax as well.  Works great, even with our home business.

Like above, once you have all the receipts sorted out it's pretty simple.

If you have a lot of investments and such that are not clear cut, then I'd hire someone (like my brother :) )
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 01:21:54 PM »
I have used the same crazy accountant for 25 years. I had a problem with the IRS, which started about 10 years ago and it was a nightmare, he dealt with them as I refuse to talk to an IRS agent. In the end the IRS admitted fault but for some reason I have not been compensated for all the money I paid the accountant to deal with their mistake. 
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here