Author Topic: Filing Taxes, pay someone or do yourself?  (Read 10327 times)

bpreynolds

Re: Filing Taxes, pay someone or do yourself?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »
OP here.  I started off today using the Turbo Tax online filing, using their upgraded $35 option (TT is offering a completely free option as well).  Boy, was I disappointed.  It was going great and I was finding the site a bit easier to use overall and friendlier than the Taxslayer I had used in previous years.  All this came to a grinding halt, however, when an hour into the process it asked if I had sold a home in the last year - no questions about profit or anything.  I selected yes and then it stopped my entire filing process and said that if I sold a home, any home for any price in the last year, that I would be required to upgrade even further to the $50 plus module.  Of course, I knew I could totally just lie and skip reporting since we didn't earn anything close to the 250k required for taxable profit; however, this annoyed me a bit and I just stopped, went back to Taxslayer and filed my return no problem for an updgraded $35 bucks.  It even asked me if I had sold a home or not and didn't request any further money or upgrade to file. 

Anyhow, aside from this it took me several hours to still get through it but I think it was worth it as I went back over everything 3 times to make sure we were all good.  Ours was somewhat straightforward though many things like mortgage interest, property taxes, and all that jazz I had to enter.  If we had kids or a business too, I would certainly have to hire someone. 

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »
I'm glad you found the program that works for you, and goodonya for getting your taxes done so early!

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 04:36:23 PM »
good going BP.  Glad it worked out.

;-T
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

bpreynolds

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 04:55:42 PM »
Thank you guys.  I was ready just to plunk down my $400 at my accountant's office until I posted this thread here and read the responses; convinced me to at least put away the time and patience to attempt them.  Nothing wrong with hiring an accountant and many folks should, but in our case I'm really glad I did it myself again this year.  By the same token, glad I paid someone last year when our taxes were greatly more complicated. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 04:55:42 PM »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here