Author Topic: Air filter pods on 2011 v7 Racer  (Read 7006 times)

Offline jcb72

• New Egg
Air filter pods on 2011 v7 Racer
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:14:54 AM »
Hi everyone.

Ive been considering this for a while now, has anyone attempted this, I read in another post that someone at guzzitech tried and it was worth it, but that may have been on the 2013 model which is a little different from the 2010/11 model

cheers

Vasco DG

Re: Air filter pods on 2011 v7 Racer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 02:39:12 AM »
WHY?

Just 'Don't'

Please. Why make your life hard and then be expected to separate yourself from large sums of money to make it easy again?

Love your bike for what it is. There is little more to be got out of it without enormous expense. Pod filters will just make it wear out faster, not make it go any faster.

Pete

Offline jcb72

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 05:08:28 AM »
Make what wear out faster ? I was under the impression that the standard air filter was restrictive due to  emission control,   Changing to a less restrictive  filter should help, no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 05:36:02 AM »
He's been a little grumpy about change lately.  ;)
Make sure you research it is all and do what works. Just know that fiel/air ratios may change things to the mapping. I don't know how much or if it's something to be too concerned with but someone will chime in I'm sure.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 05:36:02 AM »

Offline jcb72

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 05:48:39 AM »
Thanks kevdog, I should have mentioned that I have a power commander and autotune, so that should take care of the mapping

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 07:10:09 AM »
Less restrictive filters let in dirtier air, that's how it will wear out faster. Really, the factory designed the air box to work with the engine you have.. do you really need an extra 1 or 2 HP? if that..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 07:13:37 AM »
Putting pod filters on your bike will make you feel better but that's the only thing that will change.  The bike won't make any more power because it is limited by the basic Heron head design.  That design limits the flow of air through the engine so if you had zero restriction (filtering) of intake air it really would not make much difference.  As for wearing the engine out, pods will tend to let more grit into the engine and thus cause more wear.  You could contact Ed Milich to see what he will charge to make the heads flow to their maximum.  I suspect that will be really expensive and give you no more than a couple hp at the top end.  The V7 is already at the top of the cost benefit curve, any more power is going to cost big bucks and the gains are small unless you are willing to spend silly money.  Take a look at the recent threads about putting hemi heads on a V7 or adopting the aero engine for motorcycle use.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 08:10:52 AM »
it will sound "better' with the newly acquired intake roar
most  engines run better with a well engineered still air box
stock air boxes are in great demand in the restoration game as too many were discarded in the search of free HP

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 08:27:48 AM »
I was a kid once, too, and I remember how I thought that if I just added STP to my '53 chevy it would add extra hp, of if I put those special advance springs in my GTO's distributor, I'd add extra hp, etc.  Even before that, I was sure that if I put playing cards on the wheel of my trike, it would make it sound like a motorcycle and give it extra power.  I still think my motorcycle runs better after I wash it.  So, I wouldn't want to disabuse anyone who wants to modify their ride because they think it'll give it extra power, smoothness, or sex appeal.  I'm just saying that the perspective of age makes one a bit skeptical.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:27:06 PM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 09:17:20 AM »
Putting pod filters on your bike will make you feel better but that's the only thing that will change.  The bike won't make any more power because it is limited by the basic Heron head design.  That design limits the flow of air through the engine so if you had zero restriction (filtering) of intake air it really would not make much difference.  As for wearing the engine out, pods will tend to let more grit into the engine and thus cause more wear.  You could contact Ed Milich to see what he will charge to make the heads flow to their maximum.  I suspect that will be really expensive and give you no more than a couple hp at the top end.  The V7 is already at the top of the cost benefit curve, any more power is going to cost big bucks and the gains are small unless you are willing to spend silly money.  Take a look at the recent threads about putting hemi heads on a V7 or adopting the aero engine for motorcycle use.

Peter Y.

I think Ed would disagree with you. There is more than a couple hp to be gained in the heron head and he would pod it. Ask me how I know?  Just sticking pods on a stocker won't grant you much but there are reasons why airflow is a good thing. Ed has actually working on larger headers for flow in the sb. These engines are getting none too much stock. Worth it is debatable from a "gains" standpoint alone as his sits.

'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 09:50:46 AM »
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline jcb72

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 03:13:28 PM »
Ok ok, points taken,  you have dissuaded me, from tampering with the air box, the last thing I wanted to do was potentially lessen the life of the bike.

Many Thanks all for your opinions and wisdom :)

JCB

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 06:32:26 PM »
I put pods on my 2010 V7C.  The primary reason was for ease of servicing...the factory filter was a bitch to change.
No real increase in power that I could tell.  I had to fabricate an airbox to dampen the intake airflow, otherwise, when I would roll on the throttle briskly, the bike would hesitate.  I surmise it was because of a momentary lean condition created by the initial inrush of air.   I know the PC V with auto tune has an accelerator pump function, that could be used to keep the hesitation down.
At the end of the day, the ease of servicing the filters worked better for me.  All the other issues were a pain to deal with.

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 09:07:48 PM »
If you want a faster, more powerful Guzzi, trade it in for an 1100 <shrug>
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:01:11 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 10:01:46 PM »
Yep . If one wants to go fast , start out with something fast , not that a basic 2 valve 1100 is fast  ;D

Dusty
Yep . If one wants to go fast , start out with something fast , not that a basic 2 valve 1100 is fast  ;D

Dusty

Fixed it ;D

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 10:12:15 PM »
If you want a faster, more powerful Guzzi, trade it in for an 1100 <shrug>

???

Offline jcb72

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 12:57:24 AM »
Sorry gents but I did not mention that I needed or wanted the extra power, I'm happy for what it's got or I would have purchased a ducati classic.

I just thought perhaps the bike would run healthier with a less restrictive filter, I now know that's not the case.

You've saved me $130 that can go towards the new cans.

Cheers

Vasco DG

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 03:50:42 AM »
I put pods on my 2010 V7C.  The primary reason was for ease of servicing...the factory filter was a bitch to change.
No real increase in power that I could tell.  I had to fabricate an airbox to dampen the intake airflow, otherwise, when I would roll on the throttle briskly, the bike would hesitate.  I surmise it was because of a momentary lean condition created by the initial inrush of air.   I know the PC V with auto tune has an accelerator pump function, that could be used to keep the hesitation down.
At the end of the day, the ease of servicing the filters worked better for me.  All the other issues were a pain to deal with.

Why in the name of all that's holy would you need an accelerator pump function on a fuel injected engine???

Pete

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 07:43:05 AM »
 Pods? You mean like Uni foam filters? On the dyno,3 inch diameter by 6 inch long Uni filters cost a few hp on my 650 Triumph race bike. On the track K&N filters appeared to cost no power. Yes, K&N do not filter quite as well as some paper filters.. I had a K&N filter on a Chevy truck and at 200,000 miles it showed no signs of damage caused by unfiltered air...This was my experience, yours may differ..

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here