Author Topic: Le Mans II rear sets.  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
Le Mans II rear sets.
« on: September 29, 2020, 07:26:58 AM »
I'm a couple of years into my 6th decade and my body is slowly but surely letting me know it's not all that keen on the Guzzis riding position.
My back can take it, but my legs are finding it difficult being so bent up for long periods.
I've always thought the LM has quite forward positioned footrests for a bike with clip ons and have been looking at some rear sets.
Although there are a few out there, all seem to put the foot rest in the same place; between and slightly above the frame joint mounting bolts near the swing arm.
I've tried to replicate my foot position to this to see how it feels with difficulty.
Anyone out there with this bike and rear sets fitted...how do they fair comfort wise compared with oem? I'm about 5' 10".

Offline harrytief

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Le Mans II rear sets.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 07:49:09 AM »
If you decide on Tarozzi rear sets, I have two sets you can have cheaply. I found that the longer levers from an sp with the cx100 foot pegs gave me the comfort
l needed.
Harry

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 09:32:04 AM »
Your best bet is the agostini set up Stevex...same height as the original LM ones but further back...the footrest (which also serves as the pivot for the levers ) threads in on the forward mounting bolt of the standard set.That puts your foot pretty much at  the swinging arm pivot .https://guzzinerd.wordpress.com/rear-sets/.  I also think that they look right whereas the Tarozzis and others simply don't.

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 01:03:25 PM »
Harry, thx for the offer.
Have to say FF you're on the money with the agos.
Most reviews seem to say they are the best and they do seem to take the footrest back without raising it at the same time.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 01:03:25 PM »

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 06:48:15 AM »
So, I went for the Agostinis and they are fitted and just need properly adjusting.
Observations so far...
The arms appear to be stamped out with no attempt at chamfering the edges and the welding is average.
The brake lever has 2 holes drilled to take the master cylinder rod fork pin; 2 holes to give alternate braking leverage I'm guessing.
However these 2 holes are so close together that there is only a sliver of metal separating them, and they weren't de burred.
With the pivot assemblies in place at the forward of the two frame bolts located near the swing arm pivot I mounted the levers.
The levers have bronze bushes fitted which rotate on the pivot assemblies plain shank.
Now the footrests screw onto the ends of the pivot assemblies male threaded portion; the problem is the left footrest screws onto
the gear change lever locking it solid and the right one goes thread bound and leaves some lateral play in the brake lever.
I've shimmed the brake lever to remove the play and can only think of using Loctite to hold the left footrest in a position where it allows
the gearchange lever to rotate, but is secure. All in all not a great solution; what have other Ago users done?
I replaced the ball joints at the gearchange lever with ptfe lined rose joints and intend to fit grease nipples to both levers.

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 06:58:08 AM »
Not had any of those issues with mine but they were secondhand and the bushes are plastic rather than bronze.Like you I will change the linkage parts but I found that the Agos actually worked better than the standard one without that.The problem I now have is with my silencers...they have a very long taper which goes up to about two inches of the pipe bend as standard. With the ago's they have to be fitted about 3 to 4 inches further back which looks shit as the taper will not slip under the footrest...I think I'll get some Mistrals instead !

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 01:03:40 PM »
Not the same animal as the lemon, but the rearsets for the V7 (both Ago & OEM) utilise o-rings in the footpeg to bracket assembly. Using a 3mm o-ring when I "mislaid" one of those on the gear side once, jammed the gear change. A 2mm o-ring from an eBay source fixed that. Delicate little petal that it was.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 06:22:12 AM »
All fitted, and finally to my satisfaction.
Took a while to find the SS spacer on the gearchange side that allowed full travel of the lever without the rose joint bearing catching near full travel.
also found the brake rod was touching the side panel when it went back on, so I had to fit a threaded spacer to move the mounting spigot out 20mm.
I've decided to fit an aftermarket brushed stainless exhaust, UK made, but similar to the Zard; I'm hoping there are no clearance issues.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 09:21:59 AM »
Looks good, nice addition with those grease nipples.

Mine have been on the bike for about 20 years and I've never had a problem or made a modification. I did get broadsided once by a taxi cab and had to replace a foot peg but that is about it with those Ago's.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline caridimondo

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 09:42:42 AM »
I've decided to fit an aftermarket brushed stainless exhaust, UK made, but similar to the Zard; I'm hoping there are no clearance issues.

Sorry to reply to an old thread but I have the Zard exhaust and considering the Agos. Any fitment issues with your aftermarket pipes?
1980 Le Mans II from Milano to Philadelphia

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here