Author Topic: Horrors in My Bellhousing!!  (Read 61625 times)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Re: Horrors in My Bellhousing!!
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2015, 11:12:55 PM »
  Does your dog know that you talk about him that way? 
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2015, 11:15:45 PM »
The clutch centering tool is not needed as Pete said.

We used a different approach. By measuring the inner diameter of the clutch cover and the OD of the friction plate hub, we worked out the gap as shown in the pic.

Bolt on the cover loosely, use a suitable size rod to go around the gap and torque it up after that.

The gear box (transmission) just "slips back in like pushing a greasy stick up a dog's bum"  :grin:

2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2015, 11:21:05 PM »
The clutch centering tool is not needed as Pete said.

We used a different approach. By measuring the inner diameter of the clutch cover and the OD of the friction plate hub, we worked out the gap as shown in the pic.

Bolt on the cover loosely, use a suitable size rod to go around the gap and torque it up after that.

The gear box (transmission) just "slips back in like pushing a greasy stick up a dog's bum"  :grin:

Thanks, Phang!  No offense, but I really wouldn't want to be a dog down in the southern hemisphere!   :grin:

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 11:54:13 PM »
Thanks, Phang!  No offense, but I really wouldn't want to be a dog down in the southern hemisphere!   :grin:

Shaun

No, we don't shaft a stick in a dog's bum like the aussie, we cook them in curry or sweet and sour sauce  :food:
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 11:54:13 PM »

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 12:10:50 AM »
No, we don't shaft a stick in a dog's bum like the aussie, we cook them in curry or sweet and sour sauce  :food:

Still feeling a little sorry for the canine contingent down there!   :grin:

Cheers,
Shaun
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:11:35 AM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 04:40:45 AM »
With the tonti big blocks you can stick an endoscope/borescope through the timing hole and starter opening and look for loose bits in the bell housing. Can you do that with the stelvio?

Vasco DG

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 05:07:31 AM »
Yes, in fact it's even easier because there is a huge great slot in the bottom of the bell housing, (Out of which a host of shit will of fallen.) that you can stick a boroscope up.mat the end of the day though we have bits of busted spring and a mullah'd  starter motor. Whatever causes that sort of damage isn't going to simply 'Vanish' the problem if you make sure you get the bits out.

Unfortunately the clutch is 'Donald Ducked' and the only way to deal with it is take stuff apart and fix it.

Pete

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2015, 01:26:31 PM »

That way the box just slips back in like pushing a greasy stick up a dog's bum.

I do hope that's not the voice of experience    :laugh:

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2015, 03:31:17 PM »
Hoo boy, this sounds like it's going to be fun.  Good thing I have lots of spare time to work on projects like this.   :rolleyes: 
 :grin:

Cheers,
Shaun

Well, you certainly do have a positive, cheerful attitude about it.

If my 3-year-old new $15,000 bike had puked its guts all over the place requiring a complete teardown, and there was no warranty coverage, I would probably be calm and collected too, but in another way.

I'd calmly tow it to a dealer, calmly ask them to fix it, calmly pay the bill, and calmly ask them after it was fixed if I could leave the worthless piece of unreliable crap at their shop while the 7 days of eBay ticked down, starting with a $.99 bid and no reserve ...

I've already told my Stelvio that, and it's been behaving well.   Got 2000 miles of riding to do in the next couple weeks, and I'm expecting quality performance, not China Syndrome internal metallurgy failures.

Good luck!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2015, 03:44:07 PM »
sorry to hear of your woes Shaun.  Dan gave me the bug....im in Espanola heading for the Soo and point north. Eldo, of course.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2015, 03:49:12 PM »
Shaun; for what it's worth, last Saturday I helped a friend pull the swingarm on a Norge so we could check the bearings.  The whole job (to include lubing the drive shaft splines and shock linkage needle bearings) took just 3 hours start to finish.  We could have done it quicker but Mark only had a minimal set of tools.  Some "T" handle allen wrenches and socket extensions would have been handy.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2015, 06:58:29 PM »
sorry to hear of your woes Shaun.  Dan gave me the bug....im in Espanola heading for the Soo and point north. Eldo, of course.

Have fun, Nick.  I now know what a great bike your Eldo is!  By the way, I did raise the needles on my Eldo today, and it definitely liked it.  I have some jets on the way, and will have some more fun with it.  Not too much, though, as I think I have a u-joint issue, and I want to get the gearbox out to seal the back on the engine.  All good fun!

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2015, 07:00:19 PM »
Lannis and Peter, thanks for the well-wishes and the information.  Seems I have lots of Guzzi work to do, but it's not the end of the world.  I will persevere!

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2015, 11:16:52 AM »
HI, folks.

I'm digging in to change the clutch, and thought I would tap the knowledge and experience of WG.  Swingarm and shock are out (latter to be replaced by a lowered Matris unit), and I am digging into the engine mounts, wiring, etc..  A couple of questions that I haven't seen answers for in the manual (yet): 

1.   Does anyone know what gaskets I am likely to need to replace?  I'm thinking intake manifolds, exhaust head pipes, etc.  I don't know if any of these modern items are considered reusable.

2.    What retains the driveshaft/u-joint in the gearbox?  I'm sure I will find the answer to this shortly, but it never hurts to ask!

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Vasco DG

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2015, 11:47:16 AM »
I can't think of any gaskets you need to replace to do a clutch?

Offline Jurgen

• Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
Thanks, Pete.  You do, erm, have a way with words that is quite unlike anyone else I have encountered.  Hope you never change.   :grin:

Shaun  Shaun: I really admire your equanimity in the face of this disaster.  I'd be fuming after the second starter removal!  Good luck!  Jurgen
Jurgen

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »
I can't think of any gaskets you need to replace to do a clutch?

Hi, Pete.

First time doing this on a modern CARC bike, so don't know what to expect.  For example, the manual indicates that I need to remove the exhaust system (which I am about to do) in order to drop the engine, and I don't know if that means that the series of exhaust gaskets can be re-used, or if it expected to re-use these.  For example:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=4561
http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=3116

Same with the intake manifold gaskets.  You had indicated that I could just disconnect the manifolds at the heads, and leave them in the air box (thanks for that tip).  Wondered if I should plan to replace the intake manifold gaskets? 

Overall, I am trying to put together a list of parts to order, and am trying to be complete as possible as every additional order takes at least a week to arrive.

Thanks for the help -- it's very much appreciated!

Shaun
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:13:49 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2015, 12:06:51 PM »
HI, folks.

I'm digging in to change the clutch, and thought I would tap the knowledge and experience of WG.  Swingarm and shock are out (latter to be replaced by a lowered Matris unit), and I am digging into the engine mounts, wiring, etc..  A couple of questions that I haven't seen answers for in the manual (yet): 

1.   Does anyone know what gaskets I am likely to need to replace?  I'm thinking intake manifolds, exhaust head pipes, etc.  I don't know if any of these modern items are considered reusable.

2.    What retains the driveshaft/u-joint in the gearbox?  I'm sure I will find the answer to this shortly, but it never hurts to ask!

Cheers,
Shaun

Glad to see that you are carrying on.   

Just as an encouragement, my Stelvio has done the 2500 miles of running around the country over the past few months that I said I would, and is running like a Swiss watch from just over the border from Italy.

If you can hang in there, you might go 150,000 miles without ANY more problems ... it's happened before!!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2015, 12:08:31 PM »

Thanks, Jurgen.  I won't say that I haven't invented a few new words in the process  :grin:, but it's fortunate that I enjoy working on motorcycles!

Cheers.
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2015, 12:12:49 PM »
Thanks, Jurgen.  I won't say that I haven't invented a few new words in the process  :grin:, but it's fortunate that I enjoy working on motorcycles!

Cheers.
Shaun

Thanks, Lannis.  Fingers crossed, for sure.  I will say that these modern bikes, while wonderful in so many ways, really make me appreciate my old Eldo from a mechanical/electrical simplicity perspective.  I had that one apart for a u-joint change a couple of weeks ago, and there was a lot less to worry about!  Still, the new bikes are fun, too, especially with the ability to tweak with fun tools, like Guzzidiag!

All good fun!

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2015, 12:13:04 PM »

With care, no gaskets should be needed. I damaged a gasket in the Y pipe when I jammed the header pipe in poorly.

The driveshaft is held to the output shaft with a spring loaded clip. A good 'soft'  rod to tap/pry it off will help.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2015, 12:19:18 PM »
With care, no gaskets should be needed. I damaged a gasket in the Y pipe when I jammed the header pipe in poorly.

The driveshaft is held to the output shaft with a spring loaded clip. A good 'soft'  rod to tap/pry it off will help.

Thanks, Wayne.  So, just to confirm, it's not a clip that I need to remove and then slide the driveshaft out?  I just need to lightly persuade the driveshaft to overcome the tension of the spring-loaded clip?

Thanks,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2015, 01:15:05 PM »
Go for it Shaun - we're rooting for you. :popcorn:   I won't even be disappointed if you ride the Stelvio to Lavigne after all your efforts :thumb: :boozing:

Nick

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2015, 01:27:31 PM »
Thanks, Wayne.  So, just to confirm, it's not a clip that I need to remove and then slide the driveshaft out?  I just need to lightly persuade the driveshaft to overcome the tension of the spring-loaded clip?

Yes, though it may need a bit more than 'light' persuading.

Of course grease all splines and swingarm bearings when reassembling.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2015, 01:40:46 PM »
Go for it Shaun - we're rooting for you. :popcorn:   I won't even be disappointed if you ride the Stelvio to Lavigne after all your efforts :thumb: :boozing:

Nick

Thanks, Nick!  Not a chance!  I'll be happy to have the parts on order while we are in Lavigne.  Then, I'll be even happier if I can figure out how to get Humpty-Dumpty back together again!

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2015, 01:46:42 PM »
Here's a photo of the inside of the splined Cardan shaft...see the clip? 

It takes a right smart smack to pop the joint off the output shaft.  You can also try pushing a wedge between the end of the output shaft and the joint.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2015, 02:12:07 PM »
Yes, though it may need a bit more than 'light' persuading.

Of course grease all splines and swingarm bearings when reassembling.

Great, thanks, Wayne.

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2015, 02:13:53 PM »
Here's a photo of the inside of the splined Cardan shaft...see the clip? 

It takes a right smart smack to pop the joint off the output shaft.  You can also try pushing a wedge between the end of the output shaft and the joint.

Yep, very helpful.  Thanks again, all.

I might not be very fast at this, but with all you guys helping, I'll make it eventually!   :bow:

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Vasco DG

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2015, 04:00:23 PM »
Hi, Pete.

First time doing this on a modern CARC bike, so don't know what to expect.  For example, the manual indicates that I need to remove the exhaust system (which I am about to do) in order to drop the engine, and I don't know if that means that the series of exhaust gaskets can be re-used, or if it expected to re-use these.  For example:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=4561
http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=3116

Same with the intake manifold gaskets.  You had indicated that I could just disconnect the manifolds at the heads, and leave them in the air box (thanks for that tip).  Wondered if I should plan to replace the intake manifold gaskets? 

Overall, I am trying to put together a list of parts to order, and am trying to be complete as possible as every additional order takes at least a week to arrive.

Thanks for the help -- it's very much appreciated!

Shaun

Sorry, for some reason I thought this was a V7 :shocked: I'll go back and have a squizz and reacquaint my self with the thread.

If it's a Stelvio it's a right frontbottom of a job.

Pete
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:16:42 PM by Vasco DG »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2015, 04:19:18 PM »
See, the front calipers stay on. A huge time saving right there.

:violent1:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here