Author Topic: Horrors in My Bellhousing!!  (Read 61623 times)

Vasco DG

Re: Horrors in My Bellhousing!!
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2015, 04:27:09 PM »
You had to pull the donk on yours at one point didn't you Wayne? It really is a hateful job.

Pete

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2015, 04:45:45 PM »
Sorry, for some reason I thought this was a V7 :shocked: I'll go back and have a squizz and reacquaint my self with the thread.

If it's a Stelvio it's a right frontbottom of a job.

[Snip]

Pete

Yes, it is...   :sad:

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:16:08 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Vasco DG

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2015, 05:16:33 PM »
Nice fly swat!  :grin:

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2015, 05:48:30 PM »
Yes, it is...   :sad:

Hey Gunga, you're brave!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2015, 05:48:30 PM »

beetle

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2015, 06:04:23 PM »
Hey Shaun, are bugs an issue? Note the fly swat. :laugh:

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2015, 06:05:46 PM »
You had to pull the donk on yours at one point didn't you Wayne? It really is a hateful job.

Yes, there is a photo of mine on the first pages. Looks a lot like the one you posted.
Leave on the front wheel and headlights. Strip everything else.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2015, 07:10:22 PM »
Hey Shaun, are bugs an issue? Note the fly swat. :laugh:

Yeah, like I always say, you've got to have the right tool for the job!  :laugh:  Heat warning today, and the flies have gotten a little bothersome.  Now come the mosquitoes!!

Back out to slave a little more.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2015, 07:13:14 PM »
Hey Gunga, you're brave!

Brave or stupid, maybe.  :grin:

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Vasco DG

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2015, 07:46:22 PM »
I found getting the motor out of the Stelvio more of a pain in the arse than doing the crank up rebuild. Once the lump was on the bench it was a breeze, biggest time consumer was all the measuring and checking. If you're just doing the clutch there's no need to strip anything.

Since the plate has obviously disintegrated it may well of damaged the whole assembly. I'd just bite the bullet and buy a complete clutch and flywheel, if you do that you get the deliciously light pull of the Cali 14 unit. If you decide to go that way let me know immediately and I'll slip the clutch depth tool and all four pushrods in a bag and get 'em over to you. It'll save farting about.

Pete

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2015, 09:18:52 PM »
I found getting the motor out of the Stelvio more of a pain in the arse than doing the crank up rebuild. Once the lump was on the bench it was a breeze, biggest time consumer was all the measuring and checking. If you're just doing the clutch there's no need to strip anything.

Since the plate has obviously disintegrated it may well of damaged the whole assembly. I'd just bite the bullet and buy a complete clutch and flywheel, if you do that you get the deliciously light pull of the Cali 14 unit. If you decide to go that way let me know immediately and I'll slip the clutch depth tool and all four pushrods in a bag and get 'em over to you. It'll save farting about.

Pete

That's very kind of you, Pete!  I guess I'm learning something new, in that the California 14 clutch is now used for the Stelvio (assuming a complete replacement).  Looks like that would be part number B014458, if I am reading the parts manual correctly?  I suppose you're right, in that I shouldn't take a chance by just replacing the friction disc.  The clutch still works perfectly, but it probably doesn't make sense to risk having to pull the whole thing apart again just to save a few bucks.  As much fun as this is :rolleyes:, I don't think I'll take it up for regular weekend sport.

So, with bullet firmly between bicuspids, I'll order the full clutch this week.  Could I ask that you confirm if I have the right part number:  B014458? 

Secondly, I can see what you describe about the four different rods being available.  I'm not sure why they would use different length rods, except that maybe slave cylinders are different on some models?  Regardless, I really appreciate your kind offer to send the pieces needed to check this.  You do know that I'm in Canada, right?  :undecided:  I'll send you a PM with my information.

Thanks again!

Shaun

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:19:57 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Vasco DG

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »
2A000107 is the latest supercession.

Buy it in the USA and its $595. Over here theywat over $1200 AU for it!

I've got an early clutch in stock you can have for $500 if you like. Heavier spring though.

Pete

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2015, 10:10:48 PM »
2A000107 is the latest supercession.

Buy it in the USA and its $595. Over here theywat over $1200 AU for it!

I've got an early clutch in stock you can have for $500 if you like. Heavier spring though.

Pete

Thanks, Pete.  It'll be interesting to see what they charge in Canada.  Our dollar is pretty weak now, so that doesn't help.  I think I'll stick with the new one, as it would probably cost too much to ship yours over here.

Cheers,
Shaun
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:22:30 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Vasco DG

« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2015, 11:37:46 PM »
Yah, I'd go with the latest iteration. Looks like I'm stuck with the turdy early version for my POS when it wears out! :grin:

Tools and gaskets on the way.

Pete

PS, while the lump is out I'd throw an alternator belt at it. Much easier than doing it in the frame.

Pete
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:41:29 PM by Vasco DG »

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2015, 11:48:34 PM »
Can't thank you enough, Pete.  I'll get everything back to you ASAP.

Adding an alternator belt to my list.

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »
Does the same hold true for the Griso 8v? (dismantling the bike to this degree to remove the transmission?)  How about for the older 2v 1200?  In my case the 1200 Sport?  I've only pulled one bike tranny, and that was on my R100GS airhead.  Dirty job, but not too difficult.  Engine stayed bolted to the frame. and bike remained on its center stand. 
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2015, 09:15:53 AM »
Hadn't thought about using an auto engine hoist to lift up the back end of my Norge. Thanks Pete.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Vasco DG

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2015, 01:33:53 PM »
Does the same hold true for the Griso 8v? (dismantling the bike to this degree to remove the transmission?)  How about for the older 2v 1200?  In my case the 1200 Sport?  I've only pulled one bike tranny, and that was on my R100GS airhead.  Dirty job, but not too difficult.  Engine stayed bolted to the frame. and bike remained on its center stand.

Basically yes. Griso and Sport are both easier than a Stelvio though as there is so much less extraneous crap hanging off them and the heads aren't bolted to the frame.

Pete

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2015, 01:54:47 PM »
Basically yes. Griso and Sport are both easier than a Stelvio though as there is so much less extraneous crap hanging off them and the heads aren't bolted to the frame.

Are those bolts in the heads, or cylinders?
As in, will I need to pull the tank to install kit C?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2015, 02:53:03 PM »
Are those bolts in the heads, or cylinders?
As in, will I need to pull the tank to install kit C?

Bolts are in the head, and in first series they made it such that the head doesn't come off, without removing the cylinder stud bolts. Exactly the series where the c kit is needed, they made it in such way.
You won't mount the C kit without removing the tank because you need to be inside the V to get tension of the chain.

But the tank off, 20 minutes if not the first time.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Vasco DG

« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2015, 04:33:56 PM »
I've only done a later Stelvio. What fouls the heads on the early ones that you need to remove the studs? I know the barrel won't come off without stud removal or lifting the frame, but the heads?

Pete

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2015, 07:08:07 PM »
Well, back at it today, and I have everything connected to remove the engine/gearbox.  Using two scissor jacks (flat top, made for motorcycles), I am able to lower or raise the engine and gearbox to play with angles, and such.  However, I really can't see how I am going to work around the frame piece on the right side that contacts the gearbox right at the gearbox output shaft.  I know if must be possible, as others have done it, but I just can't see where I am going to get enough movement in to get around that.  Really  not a considerate design by Guzzi!

Anyone who has been here before, any tricks you can share?  I can't see how you could possibly have forgotten this piece!  :angry:

Thanks,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Vasco DG

« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2015, 07:36:12 PM »
So is the motive unit now 'Loose' in the frame Shaun? I found I had to lift the frame as well as lower the engine. Be aware that the plastic cover over what used to be the breather port on the timing chest is a pain in the arse to work around when putting the frame back on.

Has that bag of tools arrived yet? It was 'Gauranteed' to get to you in two days. If it still isn't there I'll have to do some shouting!

Pete

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2015, 07:47:40 PM »
Hi, Pete.

Yes, it's now loose, with both engine and gearbox moving easily up and down.  Looks like this, at the moment:

Here is the problem area:

Unfortunately the engine and gearbox mounts constrain side-to-side movement, and fore/aft movement is limited, too:

Any thoughts on how to get around this?

No, unfortunately, the tools have not yet arrived.  Being inspected by Customs, no doubt.  Will likely arrive Monday.  I'll probably be waiting another 10 days for the clutch from Piaggio, regardless.

Thanks again for all your help.

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Vasco DG

« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2015, 07:52:07 PM »
Jeez, it's hard to remember details like this. I'll have a look at my pics. I seem to remember I had to sort of twist it out.  Make sure all the cables for stuff like the oil pressure switch and all the alternator crap are out of the way. Neutral light switch wire needs disconnecting too and is easy to miss. Clutch slave is a right royal PITA too.

Pete

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2015, 08:02:25 PM »
Jeez, it's hard to remember details like this. I'll have a look at my pics. I seem to remember I had to sort of twist it out.  Make sure all the cables for stuff like the oil pressure switch and all the alternator crap are out of the way. Neutral light switch wire needs disconnecting too and is easy to miss. Clutch slave is a right royal PITA too.

Pete

Oooo, thanks for the reminder on the neutral switch!  I couldn't locate it from the crappy little picture in the manual, and made a mental note (in invisible ink, apparently) to watch for it as soon as I started lowering the power pack.  I do have the clutch slave out of the way using a bungee cord, though.

Headed back out to see if I can find that switch!

Cheers,
Shaun

'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2015, 08:25:15 PM »
Okay, found the neutral switch.  Not easy to get to, either!  Is this just a spade connector, or something I'm going to need to get a wrench on?  There is a boot covering it, and I don't want to start prying on it until I know what it is.

Oh, and I can't see how I can twist the engine or gearbox as it is constrained by the mounts until it can drop below them, and the input shaft flange seems to contact the frame before then.  The only thing that I can see working is to move it forward as much as possible.  Will keep fiddling with it.

Thanks!

Shaun
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 08:28:46 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2015, 08:26:05 PM »
The switch is near/above the transmission output.

I believe..... the front of the motor needs to drop, then the motor goes forward.
BUT, as Pete points out, the vent cover on the left hangs on the frame keeping the front of the motor from dropping.
And the frame will hit the cylinders when you try to go forward.

It's a real pain.
I made an adjustable engine stand just for it, and it was still a pain.

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2015, 08:27:32 PM »
Okay, found the neutral switch.  Not easy to get to, either!  Is this just a spade connector, or something I'm going to need to get a wrench on?  There is a boot covering it, and I don't want to start prying on it until I know what it is.

Thanks!

Shaun

Spade terminal on a post. Get the rubber boot off and it pulls right off.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2015, 08:29:40 PM »
Thanks, Wayne.  Back at it. 

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2015, 08:36:24 PM »
It looks like I am getting somewhere by dropping the front of the engine and moving it forward,  but it seems that what looks like a sensor on the left side of the front timing cover is fowling the frame and limiting movement.  Is that something that I should have removed?  Doesn't ring a bell from the steps in the manual.

Edit:  Looked it up in the parts manual.  It isn't a sensor -- it's a "cover".  It's item 5 in this image:

This must be the vent cover that you were referring to?

Anyone have a can opener?   :evil:

Thanks.
Shaun
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:10:33 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here