Author Topic: Horrors in My Bellhousing!!  (Read 61627 times)

pete roper

Re: Horrors in My Bellhousing!!
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2019, 10:25:26 PM »
So, I have to ask: are all the 2012 model year CARC bikes a clutch spring time bomb?

No, it seems there was a small batch of rotten plates, most if not all of them went in Stelvios. By no means are all 2012's time bombs. Mine still had its original clutch when I swapped in the 1400 motor and it was fine. Sure it had the 'Stelvio Groan' but nothing ever went wrong with it and it had done 110,000Km plus.

The thing to worry about more is whether the bike was built before the change to roller tappets!

Pete

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2019, 09:10:16 PM »
Good to know.  I rollerized my 12 Griso some time back, so no worries there. 

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2019, 04:08:48 AM »
No, it seems there was a small batch of rotten plates, most if not all of them went in Stelvios. By no means are all 2012's time bombs. Mine still had its original clutch when I swapped in the 1400 motor and it was fine. Sure it had the 'Stelvio Groan' but nothing ever went wrong with it and it had done 110,000Km plus.

The thing to worry about more is whether the bike was built before the change to roller tappets!

Pete

Did 1400 get sussed ? Last bit I saw was breathing issue, maybe I missed the fix ?

pete roper

« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2019, 04:35:38 AM »
Its a work in progress. Other builders of larger capacity 8V's are having problems too. The issue is almost certainly a matter of crankcase volume. Once my Stelvio is mapped correctly we'll find if the 1400 bottom end architecture helps address the problem. My own feeling is that taking the engine out that much is really pushing the friendship but I have no conclusive evidence yet.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2019, 04:35:38 AM »

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2019, 05:08:04 AM »
So this one is 1400 engine with 1200 heads ? Hadn’t realised, makes sense to try.
But do std 1400’s have problems if ridden like stolen ?
Low volume cases with good valve system should work, like high revving big singles, or more direct comparo Ducati 1298 or whatever current big twin is, Triumph parallel twin even bigger, 1800 ?

If this works, the difference is interesting, post results please

Its a work in progress. Other builders of larger capacity 8V's are having problems too. The issue is almost certainly a matter of crankcase volume. Once my Stelvio is mapped correctly we'll find if the 1400 bottom end architecture helps address the problem. My own feeling is that taking the engine out that much is really pushing the friendship but I have no conclusive evidence yet.

Pete

pete roper

« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2019, 06:59:28 AM »
1400's are prone to it too, although less so if thrashed mercilessly from new. What I'll be very interested in is how much difference going to the 1400 sump and plumbing makes.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #216 on: August 31, 2019, 04:29:32 AM »
1400's are prone to it too, although less so if thrashed mercilessly from new.

There is a clue in that, unlikely to be coincidence
Leak down test between a goodie and a baddlie ?

pete roper

« Reply #217 on: August 31, 2019, 05:04:48 AM »
Nope.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #218 on: August 31, 2019, 07:51:05 AM »
SMDL,  There is a way to not have to drop the transmission or abuse a good dog.  Just ride the second bike and forget about the troublesome one.
 You did say that it was  reliable
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #219 on: August 31, 2019, 09:37:05 AM »
SMDL,  There is a way to not have to drop the transmission or abuse a good dog.  Just ride the second bike and forget about the troublesome one.
 You did say that it was  reliable

Maybe so, Jim.  However, in this unique case, a little strong persuasion has resulted in a well-behaved partner in crime.  A little harrowing, but all worth it in the end.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline WARider

• New Egg
« Reply #220 on: May 01, 2021, 05:06:33 AM »
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I'm going through this job right now. Found pieces of the friction plate spring on the starter and starter well. Have the swing arm, exhaust and crash bars off. For some goofy reason I didn't take the tank of earlier so that comes off today along with much more.

Thanks for the details along your project Shaun. I'm hoping I can drop the engine this weekend.

Did you leave the survive in place with the throttle bodies attached? I'm wondering how I gain access to the motor mounts in the cylinder heads.

Rich
2013 Stelvio

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #221 on: May 01, 2021, 08:15:56 AM »
Are you pulling apart a Stelvio?
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline WARider

• New Egg
« Reply #222 on: May 02, 2021, 12:48:56 PM »
Are you pulling apart a Stelvio?

Yes - 2013 that seems to have thrown a friction plate spring on my way to work.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #223 on: May 02, 2021, 02:36:30 PM »
Yes, they seem to come apart between 35-45'000mi, some not all, I've done 3 so far. Just a lot to take apart & put back. Got to take block breather plate off L/H front before it'll come out. Rest is basic Guzzi. Replacement is Cali14 clutch, better finger springs. Has to come completely out.

Offline WARider

• New Egg
« Reply #224 on: May 03, 2021, 05:05:06 AM »
You aren't kidding that there is a lot of taking apart! The engine is completely removed and I pulled the transmission off. Issue confirmed... Spring is thrown. Looks like a second one was getting ready to join it.

I'll order up the parts today and cross my fingers I can get it all back together. On the plus side, I've finally gotten around to doing I really good job cleaning the throttle bodies.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 05:15:47 AM by WARider »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2021, 11:36:12 AM »
Looks pretty similar, but, they have no problem----------

Offline WARider

• New Egg
« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2021, 11:50:29 AM »
You've done it 3 times already??? On the same bike? Do the Cali 1400 clutch springs go out as well?

Just ordered up the clutch kit. Going to replace the alternator belt while the engine is out. Think I am at 60k miles.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #227 on: May 03, 2021, 12:38:21 PM »
3 different bikes, 1 under warranty. 1400 clutch has better stuff and is the only one you can get now. Just did a 11 Stelvio over winter. I would replace the breather hoses that connect to the rear cam cap while everything is apart, they go way up front to under steering stem.

Offline WARider

• New Egg
« Reply #228 on: May 03, 2021, 01:00:13 PM »
I would replace the breather hoses that connect to the rear cam cap while everything is apart, they go way up front to under steering stem.

Are you referring to the ones that go from the blow-by box to the cylinder ports near the valve covers?  Mine seemed fine, but I need to order a few other parts from mgcycle so I could see if they have them.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #229 on: May 03, 2021, 01:16:24 PM »
Yes, they crack right by the cap, I used hose from auto parts.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #230 on: May 11, 2021, 11:43:26 PM »
WARider, sincere apologies for the late reply.  Seems like you are making good progress, and Steve is providing much more expertise than I ever could.  However, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

As an aside, I'm happy to report that the Cal 1400 clutch continues to work perfectly some 22,000 kms later.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #231 on: May 12, 2021, 07:50:39 AM »
Just curious and asking without prejudice.
What is the major or even mine differences between this clutch/pressure plate and most all the other major brands that this issue is mostly non existent?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:31:03 PM by Ncdan »

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #232 on: May 12, 2021, 12:20:52 PM »
Just curious and asking within prejudice.
What is the major or even mine differences between this clutch/pressure plate and most all the other major brands that this issue is mostly non existent?

My understanding is that this was related to a bad batch of clutches, and that the newer design doesn't have this problem. 

That's all I know.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline WARider

• New Egg
« Reply #233 on: May 12, 2021, 12:57:56 PM »
My understanding is that this was related to a bad batch of clutches, and that the newer design doesn't have this problem. 

I sure hope you are right Shaun. Looking forward to many miles of fun without having to drop the engine to replace another clutch plate.

Have all the parts in hand now and will be starting reassembly on Friday. Wish me luck that I don't forget to connect up something requiring major disassembly again.

Offline 1969katanaman

• New Egg
« Reply #234 on: January 02, 2022, 09:16:16 PM »
Looks like I may have clutch issues....clutch was not disengaging fully, on a ride today..then made a weird sort of ping noise and now works normally...I'm thinking a spring has dislodged.  I am about 100km form home so will be a slow gentle ride then investigate further. Anyone have experience on the symptoms of a spring falling out?

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #235 on: April 29, 2022, 12:31:25 PM »
Looks like I may have clutch issues....clutch was not disengaging fully, on a ride today..then made a weird sort of ping noise and now works normally...I'm thinking a spring has dislodged.  I am about 100km form home so will be a slow gentle ride then investigate further. Anyone have experience on the symptoms of a spring falling out?

Wow, looks like I completely missed your post, Katanaman!  I know there was a period of time when WG was not able to email Gmail, so maybe this was at that time.

Were you able to get to the bottom of your clutch issues?

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline gscott

• Hatchling
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2022, 03:14:08 PM »
Necro Thread!

Is there a known production range of potentially affected clutches?  Either by VIN or engine number?  Most are referred to as 2012, or even early 2012, but some reportedly failed on "2013" bikes.   I have seen no mention of production dates.  When did MG switch to the 1400 clutches?

I know this is only affecting a handful of bikes, so far.  But the prospect of needing to complete this replacement approaches horrifying.  I am hesitant to even consider a 2012 - 2013 bike with the original clutch.  Considering the current values of these bikes (I've seen a few sub $5000 examples) vs the $1000US price of the clutch set and what,  $2000 labor?   This would basically be a write off. 

A smart person would probably buy only the upgraded bikes.  If only I knew when that was?  2014? 2015? 

That's all I know.

Cheers,
Shaun
2007 Norge - silver
2000 Quota - black
2000 V11 Sport - green
2000 V11 Bassa - pearl white (the one I sold)

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2022, 03:08:21 PM »
Necro Thread!

Is there a known production range of potentially affected clutches?  Either by VIN or engine number?  Most are referred to as 2012, or even early 2012, but some reportedly failed on "2013" bikes.   I have seen no mention of production dates.  When did MG switch to the 1400 clutches?

I know this is only affecting a handful of bikes, so far.  But the prospect of needing to complete this replacement approaches horrifying.  I am hesitant to even consider a 2012 - 2013 bike with the original clutch.  Considering the current values of these bikes (I've seen a few sub $5000 examples) vs the $1000US price of the clutch set and what,  $2000 labor?   This would basically be a write off. 

A smart person would probably buy only the upgraded bikes.  If only I knew when that was?  2014? 2015?

I've never seen a specific production range related to this known clutch issue, but I have never personally heard about a 2013 or later model having the problem.  If you want to be absolutely safe, then by all means look for a 2014 or later. 

As for when the 1400 clutch superceded the earlier units, I'm not sure. As you'll see in this thread, though, the change had already been made in 2015, so I would suspect that it probably occurred with the introduction of the 1400 in 2014.  A dealer might be able to say when the change was made.

Good luck with your Stelvio search.  Once I resolved this problem back in 2015, my Stelvio ended up being an absolutely fantastic, engaging and reliable machine right up until I sold it in 2021.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to anyone.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2022, 03:26:45 PM »
I just yanked a bad one out of a late 14 model Stelvio , the 13 year is total bull, they used up all their stock first.
This one locked the motor, 2 springs came loose.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2022, 04:26:50 PM »
I just yanked a bad one out of a late 14 model Stelvio , the 13 year is total bull, they used up all their stock first.
This one locked the motor, 2 springs came loose.

Good to know, Steve.  Thanks for offering additional information that might be helpful to others.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here