General Category > General Discussion

Timing gear lash and lubrication.

<< < (18/18)

John A:
I think it’s been mentioned in this thread that the distance between centers change as the temperature changes. Does anyone have a rough idea how much it moves from say, ambient 70f temp to operating temp after an hour of running? I know from having an oil temperature gauge on several big blocks that it takes an average of 30 miles for the oil temp, taken from a sender in the drain plug, to stabilize. From there it fluctuates depending on the variables. What average  temp is the alloy in the block do you suppose? Caruso has likely calculated and possibly measured the difference change between the gears .just curious this morning..

lucky phil:

--- Quote from: John A on June 03, 2022, 09:08:27 AM ---I think it’s been mentioned in this thread that the distance between centers change as the temperature changes. Does anyone have a rough idea how much it moves from say, ambient 70f temp to operating temp after an hour of running? I know from having an oil temperature gauge on several big blocks that it takes an average of 30 miles for the oil temp, taken from a sender in the drain plug, to stabilize. From there it fluctuates depending on the variables. What average  temp is the alloy in the block do you suppose? Caruso has likely calculated and possibly measured the difference change between the gears .just curious this morning..

--- End quote ---

I have measured the difference between the case expansion between the main bearing bores and the crank main bearing outside flywheel faces of a bevel drive Ducati to calculate the preload to use on the main bearings for assembly. I could make an educated guess on the Guzzi main and cam bore growth after I measured the centres. The cases will run at around 90 deg C in that area on average more or less.

Ciao   

Don G:
Speaking of noisy gear train, I have 3 or 4 early fine pitch timing sets on the shelf, they are out of V700s, they belong where they are, they have to be heard in operation from behind a Polizia fairing for hours on end.......DonG

jacksonracingcomau:

--- Quote from: Don G on June 03, 2022, 06:13:36 PM ---Speaking of noisy gear train, I have 3 or 4 early fine pitch timing sets on the shelf, they are out of V700s, they belong where they are, they have to be heard in operation from behind a Polizia fairing for hours on end.......DonG

--- End quote ---

Thanks for that Don
Maybe no help to OP but someone might find this with search
I knew about the 3 gearboxes on V700’s but didn’t know about timing gears
So I looked it up
According to parts books, series 1&2 use same crank gear but different cam gear. The series 3 has different number for the set (no longer sell individually)

FWIW mine is series 2, SS1’s, restrictors in heads, straight cut 1st, helical 2,3 &4
Motor (albeit ridiculously low mileage from new) is so quiet it would pass Euro 5 noise test, even straight cut first is barely audible, timing gears not at all.

Are your noisy ones incredibly high mileage and worn to a point ?
Photo might be good, worn helical gears usually obvious

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version