General Category > General Discussion

very small propane leak

<< < (6/6)

redrider90:

--- Quote from: n3303j on May 24, 2022, 02:53:12 PM ---

Not sure what I'm looking at but it sure looks like a pipe with a protective coating that exhibits heavily corroded spots where the coating failed and gas is leaking through the damaged metal.

--- End quote ---

You are looking up at the end of the tube where the threaded cap with the valves and fuel gauge screws on to the filler pipe.  The leak is at the threads and not leaking through the filler pipe itself. There is one small blob of bubbles that broke from above and slide down the pipe. I can feel the threads with my finger nail all the way around the pipe. The black stuff is hard and has been on there since new. I can only guess it is some sort of sealant. But I do not know.

twowheeladdict:

--- Quote from: larrys on May 22, 2022, 06:31:06 AM ---That's because they are DOT tanks. Replace them with one 100 gallon ASME tank and you're done with the recert business.
Larry

--- End quote ---

How am I going to carry a 100 gallon tank down to the LP place for a refill?   :wink:

Around here they aren't going to come fill you up if you aren't worth the trip. 

geoff in almonte:
There is no such thing as a small propane leak.

Ask any firefighter.

Fix it or replace it.  Or do without it. 

Those are the only options I see.

G

larrys:

--- Quote from: twowheeladdict on May 24, 2022, 05:27:56 PM ---How am I going to carry a 100 gallon tank down to the LP place for a refill?   :wink:

Around here they aren't going to come fill you up if you aren't worth the trip.

--- End quote ---

Sorry. Didn't know you can't get home delivery.
I inspect propane tank installs and gas piping several times a week. At least one a week for new standby generator projects. Nothing passes inspection if there's any leakdown on the gas piping air pressure test.
Larry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version