General Category > General Discussion

very small propane leak

<< < (2/6) > >>

pressureangle:
There is no easy way out.

Yes, the truck can empty the tank to zero pressure. Most companies will issue a credit to your account for the gas extracted, minus the normal delivery fee. The credit will be applied to the refill.

Use 'Gasoila' thread sealer.

As stated, the leak will be at tank pressure as soon as it sees your sealer, which is about 100psi @ 50*F.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propane-vapor-pressure-d_1020.html

n3303j:
Just weld it shut.  :evil:

redrider90:
Ya well they can pump the tank and then have to turn remove the top piece, clean the threads and repair the gauge. I figured this is what I was up against. I at least hope they can remove the top piece without digging out tank.
I understand that the leak is at same pressure as the tank but I am only having to cover an extremely small area to stop the leak. It's not like I have a 1/16" hole in it. So a large hole is going to put more stress on the "patch" than an infinitely small small leak that is probably .001 or even smaller"  judging from the bubbles. The leak is coming through the threads on the pipe and coming through the gasket on the gauge. Both very very small leaks.  In fact when I put my electronic detector close to the bubbles it doesn't go off. I have to put the sensor right up against the bubbles to make it go off.  I think JB Weld might work where  where the top section screws into the pipe coming from the buried tank. But then getting in around that "gauge" is going to be an issue.
All that said I think I am screwed. I might change companies and see what happens and see if they want to also do a pressure test. 

redrider90:
All that said the items are in a tube that is about 2 feet in diameter. It comes just to the top which is ground level.  That doesn't leave much room to work in. My hope is if I have to have it fixed they have a way of removing the top section and replacing the whole unit and clean the threads before reinstalling it. I cannot imagine how much torque it is going need to break that top section off the 2 foot pipe leading into the ground tank.

Chatmanx:
Honestly, I would let them try their test if they want to and see what happens. There has to be some flexibility in the test and you might pass. That would let you fix it on your schedule. If you fail, you have lots of good advice above and you can ask them about emptying your tank, cleaning threads, using the right Teflon tape, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version