General Category > General Discussion

Well, this can’t be good: unsanctioned Guzzi vent?

(1/7) > >>

midnite:
Yesterday, after a 100 mile ride, I looked my V7ii over, and found what appeared to be an oil leak on the right side, seemingly seeping from the top bolt shown below.  I wiped it down, hoping it was an anomaly, and sure enough, it reappeared after another short ride today. I tried turning it with a hex, and it felt tight: wouldn’t budge.

Has anyone seen a ‘vent’ develop on a small block like this? I assume there’s no easy fix. For context, my V7ii was one of the lucky few with the crankshaft problem, and had the engine replaced 6000 miles ago. Total of just under 17k on the bike at this point.

ray bear:
dont know anything about that model but I would remove the bolt and put thread sealant on it and replace it and see how it goes.

reidy:

--- Quote from: ray bear on May 23, 2022, 01:08:31 AM ---dont know anything about that model but I would remove the bolt and put thread sealant on it and replace it and see how it goes.

--- End quote ---

I to don't know about this model, but I agree with Ray Bear, but as an extra I would see if I could download or borrow a workshop manual. If it calls for sealant on that bolt it would give me extra confidence. If for some reason that bolt is meant to be shorter than the others I would be checking the bolt length in case a to longer bolt was put in a cracked the back of the hole. If that is the case I would get the short bolt, apply sealant and change gearbox oil.

Steve   

reidy:
I found a manual https://cadrecycle.com/manuals/technical/V7%20II%20ABS.pdf

I would remove the bolt and try and have a look down the hole. If nothing is unusual I would assume the case is porous in that hole and then follow Ray Bears advice.

Steve

Perazzimx14:
Before using sealer on a bolt that is not mean to seal, I'd pull the bolt then clean out the female threads with some carb cleaner (be careful of the painted surfaces) then reinstall the bolt and keep an eye on it.

I'd also check the engine crankcase breather vent hoses routing for kinks or pinches, for excessive oil level and oil in the air box. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version