General Category > General Discussion

850 T3 Cali rough between 2000-3500

<< < (2/4) > >>

lucian:
Check the rubber seals on the bottom of the choke plungers, they can be pricked out and flipped over, if they leak , even a little, it'll be way rich, How are the spark plugs looking?

Adv_hoon:

--- Quote from: Dave Swanson on May 24, 2022, 07:21:25 AM ---I agree with the prior posts.  Take your time and do a proper tune up and carb balance.  I would also recommend replacement of the distributor springs.  Your old ones are most likely stretched out.

--- End quote ---

That might be a good point with the springs. I have not disassembled or checked the points yet, but I was told that it had a service less than 500km's ago and I can see that some of the parts surrounding the distributor looks brand new. But I will look at the springs when I check the points.

--- Quote from: lucian on May 24, 2022, 07:44:26 AM ---Check the rubber seals on the bottom of the choke plungers, they can be pricked out and flipped over, if they leak , even a little, it'll be way rich, How are the spark plugs looking?

--- End quote ---

Hmm I read about the choke plungers as a potential for issues, so I will check those as well, but I am pretty convinced that it is lean in the midrange and not rich. On the overrun once past 3500 it does sound a little rich though - so worth a look to see. Thanks for the tip.

The plugs actually look somewhat "normal" at least the left cylinder. The right one had not colored as much after I cleaned them so I expect this to be the one miss-firing from time to time.

Adv_hoon:
The slides from carbs looked very worn to me, but perhaps this is normal wear?

moto:

--- Quote from: Adv_hoon on May 24, 2022, 01:58:29 PM ---The slides from carbs looked very worn to me, but perhaps this is normal wear?

[img]

--- End quote ---

It's hard to say without seeing how deep the scoring is, but I doubt this is the problem. Dave Richardson (in Guzziology) pointed out that the large flat sealing area of the VHB carb makes them much more resilient to scoring than round slides. If you wanted, you could sand the faces, I suggest. But I wouldn't bother.

If you can isolate which cylinder is dropping out, the carb slides are extremely easy to switch side-to-side to see if the problem follows them.

I'm eager to read what you find out when you get back to the problem.

s1120:

--- Quote from: Adv_hoon on May 24, 2022, 01:52:56 PM ---That might be a good point with the springs. I have not disassembled or checked the points yet, but I was told that it had a service less than 500km's ago and I can see that some of the parts surrounding the distributor looks brand new. But I will look at the springs when I check the points.

--- End quote ---

Ahhh.  OK, we got something here..  So has the bike ran this way since you got it? If so sounds like someone was chasing this issue, or caused it. Have you been into the dist yet? Being you know someone was in there, and replaced stuff, I would go in, and make sure they did it right. Are the points set right?, it the timing right? is the advance working as it should? Looks for other new changed components also. Is the coil new? Did they leave a loose wire, or forgot a ground? You have no idea who replaced those parts, or their skill level. Id would check that out first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version