Author Topic: Any Cali 1400 Opinions?  (Read 11097 times)

Offline leolad

• New Egg

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Any Cali 1400 Opinions?
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2017, 03:39:54 PM »
For you guys still looking.  It's not a Touring but Custom with windscreen.  Don't know what kind.  Price is good for a 4600 mile bike.  I posted this on a different thread.    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/mcy/6067131134.html
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Lcarlson

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 09:53:12 PM by Lcarlson »

Offline Chairider

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2017, 08:54:46 PM »
I've owned my California 1400 Touring for almost 3 years now. To this day I find myself just looking at it in the garage, I'm truly in love with both its looks and character. However, it did take me some effort and money to bring it up to what I would call a "perfect setup." Things I've done on my bike:

1. Fixed the alternator wire issue (as per technical bulletin from Moto Guzzi, look for more info on guzzitech forums)
2. Fixed the "moaning whale" issue (again, look it up on guzzitech forums)
3. Installed a Power Commander V + AT3 setup from guzzitech, along with the new fueling map - this was by far the greatest change for the better I've done to the bike and I do recommend it. The engine now runs amazingly well, pulls great from lowest rpms and has significantly increased torque throughout the rev range. I do understand that people are wary of any modifications to the fueling but I was really dissatisfied with the fueling that came with the bike (I had the first version that was really bad at low rpms and lacked in torque)
4. I put aftermarket exhaust pipes from Mistral
5. I opened up the air box
6. I put better suspension front and back (Matris fork springs and Matris rear shocks) - this was the second most effective upgrade, the ride is unbelievably smooth, stable and precise.

All in all my Cali 1400 now feels absolutely perfect to me and I already know I will never sell it - I want to keep it for the next generation.

Interested in knowing the details re: your suspension upgrade. Please provide model numbers for the Matris rear and front upgrades...Thanks!!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2017, 08:54:46 PM »

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2017, 09:17:33 PM »
I am getting more impressed every ride, especially now that the cruise is easy to use and not a physical pain. Fuel mileage is a bit too low around town, but I've figured out how much range reserve really has. I put the windshield lowers on and cut about 70% of the buffet over 60. Laminar lip has gotten another 20%. Seat is too soft for multi day/ week trips, so I'm still looking at options. It is going to be 'the' bike for the zen ride next year, so I have time to shake out and get ride before I have to live with her every day.
My Duc doesn't like the Cali, because I have only been riding the 14 lately. I'm digging this bike, which coincidentally, I bought from L.A. In March.
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2017, 09:28:43 PM »
 :1:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2018, 03:23:46 PM »
So in regards to the 2017 Cali. 1400 Touring
What kinda of gas mileage are you getting?
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2018, 03:26:28 PM »
mine is a 2015 Custom, but I don't think there are any changes.  the bike had 400 miles when i got it, so almost new.  first 4000 - it was in the high 30s to low 40s.  at 9500 it is at least 40 to 45 with the cruise set for 65 or so.
Blue Guzz

Offline et18

• Hatchling
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »
So in regards to the 2017 Cali. 1400 Touring
What kinda of gas mileage are you getting?

Well, if you believe the fuel gauge, my 1400 Touring runs on air for the 1st 80 miles after a fill up, then empties the tank over the next 50.  Overall it gets low to mid 40's no matter how I ride it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 07:58:26 PM by et18 »
2014 California Touring
1994 BMW R1100RS
2001 BMW R1200C

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2018, 05:35:37 AM »

Well, if you believe the fuel gauge, my 1400 Touring runs on air for the 1st 80 miles after a fill up, then empties the tank over the next 50.  Overall it gets low to mid 40's no matter how I ride it.

Hahahahahahaha - YES it does !

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2018, 06:32:50 AM »
I have a 2014 Cali bagger. I love riding it. 13,000 miles in the past 14 months. However I have some issues with the bike. I'll paste the contents of a log of issues I have constructed over the my 14 months of owning this machine. It is a bit of reading but this is a pretty comprehensive review of this model. Keep in mind though, except for the warped disc rotors and the misbehaving clutch I've been able to right all the wrongs and I love, love, love riding this bike.

As for the electric modification others have mentioned above, it involves simply disconnecting one wire from the alternator and insulating that loose wire from grounding against anything nearby. Somehow MG put an "extra" wire that causes trouble when the key is left "on" but engine not running. This is considered a warranty item and any Moto Guzzi shop can perform the work, it should be free as Moto Guzzi issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for it.

Den.

Links to clutch issue:

https://youtu.be/y752py5YY1g

https://youtu.be/KQtgw0qw9lU

Complaints Log for new 2014 California Touring
2014 California Touring: VIN: ZGULVC007EMxxxxxx
I purchased this motorcycle on December 21, 2015, at the following Moto Guzzi Dealer:
Eurosports, 303 S. 3rd St. (Route 309) Coopersburg, PA 18036, 610-282-9300 (www.eurosports.net)

When I performed the 600 mile first service and inspection, January 2016. I found the following
Deficiencies:

� Front calipers are incorrectly shimmed to align the disc pads with the rotor. Four 2mm stainless
washers (two per caliper) corrected the misalignment. Update, 6400 miles � Front brakes badly pulse
now.
� At first purchase I heard a metallic sound when encountering bumps in the road. I thought it sounded
like a lose fuel tank mount but this was not the case. Then I thought it was the windshield when I
found one of the mounts lose, but tightening that did not remove the sound. I hear and feel a clicking
when applying front brakes hard just before full stop (3 mph). Now, at 6400 miles, I also hear and
feel something flex, snap, pop or click when braking hard (briefly) at speeds of 30-50 mph. Also, just
upon coming to a complete stop if I apply the front brakes hard, making the forks dive, right through
to a full stop I also hear the click during fork compression rebound. This also has progressed with
increasing mileage.
� Both panniers leak, the left more than the right, at a rate of just a few drops but it's steady while
raining. It comes in at the two pannier halves junction, back near the latch. I sealed the entire seam
with a product called �Seam Grip�. Fixed now, I checked this under pressure with a garden hose.
� Both mirrors will move during riding. The left mirror will move at speeds below 50 mph. The right
mirror will keep its position up to maybe 80 mph. The left mirror rotates about the vertical axis, it
reflects more of my arm and body as it moves, the right mirror tends to rotate about the horizontal
axis such that it rotates reflecting an increasing upward view. This necessitates readjustment of at a
minimum the left mirror rather constantly while touring.
� Exhaust support brackets are anchored to the frame with four attachments. One of the four Allen Key
bolts at the bottom of the bracket, next to the Port exhaust pipe flex joint, was not fully tightened. The
bolt's shoulder was not tight against the bracket. It was cross threaded at the factory and left to
continue down the assembly line. See image below. Fixed at first service (600 miles).
� Starboard exhaust side ring clamp was completely loose and rattling on the pipe. The Port exhaust
side clamp was tightened well below specification of 50 Nm (37 ft.lbs.).
� All four spark plugs were torqued to about 1 to 2 ft. lbs. of torque. I re-torqued them to 10 ft. lbs.
upon re-installation. I did not find spark plug torque values in the manual!
� I looked for loose fasteners but the exhaust side ring clamp, mentioned above, was the only one I
found. I did note that the exhaust heat shields use Red thread lock on my bike. All exhaust fasteners
at the cylinder head and the header to muffler clamps required tightening to meet specifications.
� Oil cooler horizontal braided hose, located just above the horns, was crushed between twist grip
position sensor aluminum block and the frame. See the image below. Fixed at first service.
� Chrome plating on both Pannier latches have flawed finish.
� Pannier paint is wearing through where latch closes, on both panniers. A design flaw.
� Both Tires over inflated to 42 psi. But this may have been done at the dealer.
� I looked for loose fasteners and found the Starboard Header to Muffler side pinch clamp was fully
loose and rattling on the pipe. I noted all exhaust heat shields use Red Locktitie.
Just another observation.
� All four spark plugs were torqued to about 1 to 2 ft. lbs. of torque. I re-torqued them to 10 ft. lbs.
upon re-installation. I did not find spark plug torque values in the manual!
Again, rectified, but noted.
� Both Tires over inflated to 42 psi.
Again, rectified, but noted. Naturally, this has nothing to do with warranty. Just an observation.

Design Flaws:
� Cruise control activation, setting. Difficult, especially with throttle hand, no increase/decrease speed
function. The only way to set it accurately/precisely is to reach across with left hand.
To fix it, move the activation control to the clutch side and use the rocker control to alter/resume
speed. Short move right increase, SM left decrease speed. Long move right resume, LM left cancel.
� Piaggio documentation for the California model states that the self canceling blinkers should cancel
after 40 seconds or 0.3 miles. This is too long and it is dangerous! We should be able to alter this
through EPROM programming. Or make it end user configured.
� Dip stick is very poor design, it should be a flat blade where oil level check is located.
� Venting at rider position behind windshield is insufficient. Engine heat builds up at rider position. I
fell asleep while riding this bike once. I modified the windshield mounts to ameliorate this dangerous
condition.
� It's a Touring model, it really should come with the Luggage Rack, which is presently an accessory

Assembly Flaws:
Below are a couple of images showing the serious problems with my California Touring:

Rear most Allen Key bolt on Port side exhaust support bracket to frame location is tight but not home, it was
cross threaded at the factory. To fix it I removed the bolt, chased the threads. I had to use a new bolt because
this one was too badly damaged. I bought a new bolt, installed it and tightened it to full torque.

My oil cooler line was pinched between the frame and throttle control block (aluminium block below tank, fly by wire).
I was able to pull this hose out of it's pinched location by rocking it repeatedly. I had to uncrush the braided
steel sheathing with a set of gas pliers. Hopefully, the tube inside was not compromised, I'd hate to have it
open a pressurized leak out on the road. I'm keeping a close eye on it.
The Dealer did replace this hose after I gave him a photo of the assembly flaw.
Everything else ok apart from that...?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 06:33:45 AM by Huzo »

Lcarlson

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »

That� fuel gauge performance is typical with most motorcycles. I assume it�s because of tank design, which on most bikes is sort of like saddle bags thrown over the spine of the frame. When the tank is full, the surface area(and accordingly, volume) is wide. When the fuel level reaches the level of the frame, the remaining fuel is divided into compartments on either side of the spine. The combined volume of those compartments is less than the volume across the tank above the spine. Hence the the remaining fuel level goes down at an accelerated rate compared to when the tank was fuller.

Does that make sense?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 02:03:47 PM by Lcarlson »

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2019, 02:15:00 PM »
Is the Custom still available? From what I see, the Touring, Audace, and Eldorado are current models. I would only be interested in a Custom is one was available on the used market.

Jerry
Jerry
Florida

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2019, 02:59:24 PM »
JD- I think the Audace is an updated Custom.  it had  a nice balance when I sat on it.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2019, 04:49:11 PM »
LR,

I thought that might be the case, but the Audace only seems to come in flat black or red tank,  and black pipes unlike the gloss black of the Custom.
Jerry
Florida

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2019, 05:08:43 PM »
The Audace is more of a budget model, doesn't have the fabulous headlight that the Custom has, for example.

I have two Customs, and if I was looking for another 1400, I think the Eldorado would be what I would purchase.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »
Rodekyll and Pete Roper,

You can talk bad about someones momma or their wife but don't say anything bad about the Powdered Comanche. I put a measley 1/4 million miles on "98 EV's without one.

Some people will buy and anvil and have to modify it.

Tex.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2019, 05:43:13 PM »
JD- I think the Audace is an updated Custom.  it had  a nice balance when I sat on it.

Footpegs are in a stupid place on the Aldace so make sure you are ok with that, the 1400's are cruisers so providing you like cruisers it will be ok. If turning like a boat and stopping like a train is not your thing I'd suggest looking at something else.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2019, 05:48:39 PM »
Last year I bought  a like new 2015 with 2600 miles. At 3500 miles the URGENT SERVICE warning kept coming on. One of the good folks here helped me run a diagnostic check revealing a bad TPS sensor. Got a used one that a buddy, again here on the forum, found for me. Had it installed and no further issues. The bike rides and runs great. Front end feels a little heavy in a parting lot when sharpe turning but easy to get use to. Bike is the most well balanced motorcycle I've ever owned. When coming to a stop it almost feels like it has a gyroscope built into the bike I can come to a complete stop before I put my foot down as I only put one foot, right foot, when coming to a complete stop. Stay in the touring mode as the race mode only Rips the hide off the rear tire. I have 5400 miles on my rear tire and it's maybe half worn out. Bottom line is it's a great bike and pre owned one can be bought for half of their new selling price.
Good luck!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2019, 06:20:42 PM »
Footpegs are in a stupid place on the Aldace so make sure you are ok with that, the 1400's are cruisers so providing you like cruisers it will be ok. If turning like a boat and stopping like a train is not your thing I'd suggest looking at something else.

Do you speak from experience?  I ask because your statement is contrary to all the reviews I have read/watched.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2019, 06:23:13 PM »
Is the Custom still available? From what I see, the Touring, Audace, and Eldorado are current models. I would only be interested in a Custom is one was available on the used market.

Jerry

Here is a nice grey one that has been one here for months, I bet they are willing to deal.

https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/warner-2014-moto-guzzi-california-1400/6763906915.html

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:26:11 PM by lucian »

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2019, 07:03:55 PM »
Do you speak from experience?  I ask because your statement is contrary to all the reviews I have read/watched.

Yes I've ridden one the Adace specifically, the brakes are probablly better than most cruisers the handling might be better than most cruisers thats what the reviews say can't say I don't test ride many cruisers but it is still definatively a cruiser. The 940 Bellagio which the USA didn't get is a vastly superior bike and one of the very few cruisers I'd actually consider although irrelevant as it is not avalible.

I don't really understand why the throttle had other modes other than Veloce it was perfectly managable in all the conditions I encountered including heavy traffic and the brakes were effective but pretty wooden IMO. The experince didn't generate any intrest with myself in riding any of the other 1400 variations it did tell me I'm never going to buy a bike with feet forward controls as they are irrovecably shit. They possibly nail everything thier target market is looking for, I'm obviously not in that target, except for my age, gender and income.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2019, 06:40:24 AM »

Jerry

I wanted a blue Custom but ended up buying a black Touring because the two bikes are usually within a thousand bucks on the used market.  It would cost a couple thousand to add the Touring parts to a Custom.  You can remove the bags and windshield from a Touring in an afternoon if you want to run it stripped like a Custom.  I think the main mechanical difference between the two is that the Custom rear shocks have remote reservoirs and are an inch longer.

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2019, 08:44:07 AM »
Hi Dog54,  I bought my first Cali 1400 in 2015 (build date, 2-15)...a Tour.  I liked it so much I bought another, identical 2017.  Not a lick of trouble from either one.  (I just lied...the 2015 threw a service code...it turned out to be a loose battery cable.  I tightened it and all is OK.)  I've had my share of bikes...Honda, Harley, BMW.  I will ride the Guzzi into the great beyond.   I did change the 200 rear tire for a 180, it makes a noticeable difference in the twisties.  By the way, I really like the "Moaning Myrtle", I wouldn't change that for anything.  In fact, my wife named her...Mona.   Also, I ride with a BMW club sometimes.  They are great bikes, they get into the corners faster, I power out of them faster.  Be well...shiny side up.   Doug
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2019, 09:54:51 AM »

Well, sitting on the Audice I found it had the most upright pegs on any of the 1400 series and it seemed to be the lightest feeling and balanced of the bunch.  I'll admit to only riding the Touring model which is just a great bike, the Audice seemed like it would even be better.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2019, 09:59:15 AM »
Yes I've ridden one the Adace specifically, the brakes are probablly better than most cruisers the handling might be better than most cruisers thats what the reviews say can't say I don't test ride many cruisers but it is still definatively a cruiser. The 940 Bellagio which the USA didn't get is a vastly superior bike and one of the very few cruisers I'd actually consider although irrelevant as it is not avalible.

I don't really understand why the throttle had other modes other than Veloce it was perfectly managable in all the conditions I encountered including heavy traffic and the brakes were effective but pretty wooden IMO. The experince didn't generate any intrest with myself in riding any of the other 1400 variations it did tell me I'm never going to buy a bike with feet forward controls as they are irrovecably shit. They possibly nail everything thier target market is looking for, I'm obviously not in that target, except for my age, gender and income.

wait!  You're comparing the AUdice to Bellagio? 

I think the idea of the thread is comparing all models of 1400 series not with other bikes.  Back to my point, we were comparing it to the Custom and to other 1400, not the cruiser vs standard thing.  So your comments missed my point entirely.

Having said that, the main reason I've not liked the 1400 series is the cruiser riding position.  My point was that Audice seemed to feel a little lighter and better balanced of the bunch.  I would like to ride one.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:03:06 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2019, 01:30:43 PM »

wait!  You're comparing the AUdice to Bellagio? 

I think the idea of the thread is comparing all models of 1400 series not with other bikes.  Back to my point, we were comparing it to the Custom and to other 1400, not the cruiser vs standard thing.  So your comments missed my point entirely.

Having said that, the main reason I've not liked the 1400 series is the cruiser riding position.  My point was that Audice seemed to feel a little lighter and better balanced of the bunch.  I would like to ride one.

The Bellagio is a cruiser IMO and what I was saying is it is a much better package as a bike handling, braking, motor all superior to the 1400 the 1400's heft and the 1950's suspension really count against it. A standard I would consider from the Guzzi range the Griso/ 1200 sport or V11 sport or V7.

Someone specifically asked about the Audice that is the 1400 I have ridden and the short answer is I didn't think much of it, hopefully they have got rid of the 1400's idle stupidity amoungst other things. I didn't think I steered a bike much through the pegs until I rode the Audice then I found out I did, and a sginficant impact on my riding and the amount of control I had of the bike I didn't think it was acceptable to me. The 1400 had a number of other things I didn't like about it, a different set of foot controls as offered on some of the other variations were only going to address one issue. There is also a limit on just how big the test fleet is locally.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2019, 02:52:19 PM »
The Bellagio is a cruiser IMO and what I was saying is it is a much better package as a bike handling, braking, motor all superior to the 1400 the 1400's heft and the 1950's suspension really count against it. A standard I would consider from the Guzzi range the Griso/ 1200 sport or V11 sport or V7.

Someone specifically asked about the Audice that is the 1400 I have ridden and the short answer is I didn't think much of it, hopefully they have got rid of the 1400's idle stupidity amoungst other things. I didn't think I steered a bike much through the pegs until I rode the Audice then I found out I did, and a sginficant impact on my riding and the amount of control I had of the bike I didn't think it was acceptable to me. The 1400 had a number of other things I didn't like about it, a different set of foot controls as offered on some of the other variations were only going to address one issue. There is also a limit on just how big the test fleet is locally.

Saying that a Bellagio has a better engine and brakes than a 1400 makes me wonder if you’ve been drinking.  A Bellagio couldn’t stay in the same zip code as a 1400 given equal riders.  There is simply no comparison between the engines and it wouldn’t matter how twisty the road was.  A 1400 has more torque just off idle than a Bellagio does at peak.  The 1400’s have phenomenal brakes.  Their braking distances are as short as some sport bikes and among the very best of Touring/cruisers. 

I hate the riding position on my Touring but I can’t bring myself to sell it because 1)the engine is fantastic and 2)it stops better than any other Guzzi ever made. 

I understand that you don’t like the 1400’s.  They’re certainly not for everyone and I’m not even sure they’re for me but let’s avoid nonsense when someone asks about a specific model Guzzi.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2019, 04:18:25 PM »
Saying that a Bellagio has a better engine and brakes than a 1400 makes me wonder if you’ve been drinking.  A Bellagio couldn’t stay in the same zip code as a 1400 given equal riders.  There is simply no comparison between the engines and it wouldn’t matter how twisty the road was.  A 1400 has more torque just off idle than a Bellagio does at peak.  The 1400’s have phenomenal brakes.  Their braking distances are as short as some sport bikes and among the very best of Touring/cruisers. 

I hate the riding position on my Touring but I can’t bring myself to sell it because 1)the engine is fantastic and 2)it stops better than any other Guzzi ever made. 

I understand that you don’t like the 1400’s.  They’re certainly not for everyone and I’m not even sure they’re for me but let’s avoid nonsense when someone asks about a specific model Guzzi.
Justified call- out, John. To say foreword controls are $#|+ makes me wonder. Most any good rider can ride any type of shifter  position bike with equal effectiveness and can find comfortable places which to place their feet. There are many of us here that like our controls slightly foreword of a sitting position and have an appreciation for the different positions one can put their feet, especially on a 8+ hour ride. However I respect others opinions.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:40:30 PM by Ncdan »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2019, 04:39:12 PM »

since you were comparing the Audice to the Ballagio, you missed my comments entirely. 
John L 

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here