Author Topic: San Antonio, TX for Christmas ?  (Read 3614 times)

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
San Antonio, TX for Christmas ?
« on: December 19, 2018, 10:24:39 AM »
HEY !

What's in/around San Antonio ?  We usually head somewhere south around the Christmas holidays and the old "dart in the dart board" says San Antonio this year.
900 miles. 

Never been there.  The first things that come to mind are The Alamo, and the 3 Sisters.

Suggestions ?

A couple of years ago, we got stranded, because of snow - so we're gonna "trailer".   

Thanks,
Kevin
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:28:31 AM by kballowe »

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
Re: San Antonio, TX for Christmas ?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 10:44:58 AM »
The Alamo Bowl (football) will be played a few days after Christmas, so you can expect the downtown Riverwalk to be thronged with people at night an Christmas lights hung everywhere.  The city set the gold standard for other similar-sized towns trying to develop their river fronts--most haven't  done nearly so well as San Antonio

Last time I was there during this time, the marching bands from both teams were on boats on the river playing to the shoulder-to-shoulder crowds on both sides--it'd be a good destination if you're there.

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 10:57:35 AM »
If you are going to do the "sisters", we used to start with breakfast at the OST in Bandera.  In Leakey (pronounced Lakey) there is a neat motorcycle museum  Just north is Fredericksburg which is a cool town that is home to the Museum of the Pacific War.  Allow several hours to do the museum justice.  Not too far from Fredericksburg is Luckenbach, popularized in song where many motorcyclists gather on weekends and wonder, "Why the heck did we come here?"  Just a bit further along is the LBJ ranch and museum.  Rte 16 is your friend.  Of course, the Riverwalk in SA and there used to be hot air balloon rides over SA which was a lot of fun.  Just a few quick thoughts.  A look at the SA tourist website should reveal much more.  Have fun.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 11:21:53 AM »
Mi Tierra Restaurant, Mexican Market same area.  Both kind of touristy but fun.
Witte Museum, Institute of Texan Cultures.
Alamo  and Missions National Park. 
Ride in the footsteps of the Conquistadores along the Camino Real de Texas.
Riverwalk area.  Restaurants, clubs, boat rides, etc.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 11:21:53 AM »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 11:49:40 AM »
Boerne Wine Company in Boerne - say hello to Jean Yver from me...he'll treat you to home made wood fired pizza and a fantastic glass of wine.

Route from Boerne over to 16 - part or all of the Twisted sisters

Bat cave Tunnel near Sisterdale en route up to Luckenbach

Hangar hotel 50's diner at the Airport in Fredericksburg

If you're into hiking...go climb Enchanted Rock dome  outside of Fredericksburg...

LOTS to do in the area...San Antonio off the beaten path is somewhat crummy outside of the tourist areas, but northwest side up towards La Cantera is nice...

Plenty of golf...if you're a golfer too...lots of great courses
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 12:30:21 PM »
If you are going to do the "sisters", we used to start with breakfast at the OST in Bandera.  In Leakey (pronounced Lakey) there is a neat motorcycle museum  Just north is Fredericksburg which is a cool town that is home to the Museum of the Pacific War.  Allow several hours to do the museum justice.  Not too far from Fredericksburg is Luckenbach, popularized in song where many motorcyclists gather on weekends and wonder, "Why the heck did we come here?"  Just a bit further along is the LBJ ranch and museum.  Rte 16 is your friend.  Of course, the Riverwalk in SA and there used to be hot air balloon rides over SA which was a lot of fun.  Just a few quick thoughts.  A look at the SA tourist website should reveal much more.  Have fun.

:thumb:  Wife and I usually do Fredericksburg the week post the Austin MotoGP. You hit the high spots, but need to emphasis it is an old German community and the beer, wine, and food selections in the touristy downtown areas are pretty good. I spent all day in the museum and at least half a day at LBJs ranch (after several attempts, they still wouldn't let me do a speed run on the runway).   :evil:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 01:58:40 PM »
we did the Riverwalk, Alamo, Seaworld (expensive for a day), and Mission at San Jose.  We were only there 3 days so we limited

SeaWorld was great, just expensive.

the Alamo is walking distance from the Riverwalk.  The Alamo wasn't what I was expecting, but glad I went.  Too developed around the site, detracts from the Alamo, IMO.
Riverwalk is very nice, we actually stayed at a hotel on the riverwalk to get that experience, very glad we did.  If you go out on the road, do it in the day time, at night I ran into some very questionable characters going for some soft drinks.  Our hotel didn't sell coca cola, only Pepsi (vile stuff).

the Mission was interesting bit of history.  We did the guide walk, so pretty informative.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Online StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 02:10:59 PM »
Was down there a couple weeks ago and enjoyed the zoo.  The light show is nice in the evening.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 03:21:32 PM »
The Riverwalk is a great place for Xmas.  I usually go there for a few days between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The weather is usually pretty nice.  But it can be cold and wet on occasions.  so be prepared. 

First Time Tourists have to go to the Alamo, Hemisphere Tower and eat at Mi Tierra (it's a legal requirement).   

It's a great city.  Find a nice hotel on the Riverwalk and have a great time. 

And check out San Fernando Cathedral Xmas light show.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgccX7OPuCk

SO far as riding, 3 Sisters and all that, see what I said about the weather.  There used to be Saturday Morning (Sunday?) breakfast ride to Bandera (Hwy 16) every weekend.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:26:29 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 06:49:37 PM »
Others have provided excellent ideas, so let me comment on being prepared for riding.  Central Texas winter weather is amazingly unpredictable, especially this year.  The only guarantee you have is that any weather forecast you have seen for Christmas week will be wrong.  Make sure you pack plenty of warm riding gear, including electric gear if you have it.  Layers are best, because 30+ degree temperature swings are not uncommon for a daily ride.

Also, be very, very careful of roads with low water crossings.  We've had an above normal amount of rain over the last several months, which has saturated the ground.  ANY rain will result in a number of crossings flooding.

I do have one possible suggestion for a destination.  A really neat motorcycle museum opened in Burnet Texas this year.  Here is the link:
http://www.hillcountrymotorheads.com

Straight shot up HWY 281 from San Antonio (although there are more fun ways to get there).

Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 07:24:13 PM »
you have two posts from folks that have lived there saying look out for the weather.

I don't know how much time you have and where you're gonna stay, but the motorcycle riding is the last thing I'd consider for my first visit this time of year.

The Riverwalk  and San Antonio Xmas and New Years is the real deal.  They really know how to celebrate the holidays in So Texas.   Nothing against ST Louie or the northern states but they really turn it on down there.  Just be a tourist and you'll have a great time.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 09:19:09 PM »
Well, since no else has said it- be sure to ask about the basement tour at the Alamo.

The Alamo is only one of several missions in the area- check out some of the others.  I don't know much about what is south of San Antone, but west and north, there are a lot of good roads and good BBQ.  It used to be Kruez Market and Black's in Lockhart, and City Market in Luling were about the best you could get (IN THE WORLD).  I'm sure there are other contenders now. 

Fredricksburg, Johnson City, all up in that area is just wonderful, beautiful riding.  Be careful of the weather, though.

In SA, (10+ years ago) I found a lot of the riverwalk to be just bars.  Good for drinking, too loud.  There was a jazz bar with the Jim Cullum (sp?) band playing that I liked.  His band played older jazz- like Hogie Carmichael stuff.  But that's my taste- I like it. 

New Braunfels has some nice German restaurants.  San Marcos has the river if you want to go swimming (the water is ~71.6 F year 'round).  Seriously- it sounds goofy, but consider it.  The SM river is cleaner than the water you drink at home today.  It is a jewel.  And yes, cold. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Online ssrealty

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 09:37:18 PM »
You must visit the Apple Store in Medina, Tx., about 40 miles west of San Antonio. It has a small gift store, bakery, and grill (hamburgers, etc.). They grow their own apple trees/apples. Their apple yogurt is fabulous, and they have samples of different apple jellies. See link below:

http://lovecreekorchards.com/

One of the best motorcycle rides in central Texas is the Twisted Sisters. One of the sister highways intersects Medina.

https://www.ridetexas.com/the-twisted-sisters/

Medina is not far from Fredericksburg which has a shopping strip, National Museum of the Pacific War and is near multiple wineries, LBJ house, and Enchanted Rock. Stay at the Hanger Hotel, but they don't allow children.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:39:16 PM by ssrealty »

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 06:57:21 AM »
We are no strangers to cold weather riding and rain - but we have the gear.  The Missus always thinks it's an "adventure".   hahahahaaa

But yes, 70 and sunny is our goal.   Maybe a LOFTY goal.     :thumb:

In my mind, if the weather really goes to crap, then we park the bike in the trailer - and simply take the truck.

..... and off we go.......

:bike-037:

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 07:06:08 AM »
 When you get down this way....look me up for a ride. I am currently at an rv park in Bandera, just around the corner from the OST Restaurant. Will be here until the end of January. We have been taking advantage of the weather and doing a lot of riding. Rode the sisters yesterday.

Headed up to Leakey....

One of many bridges over the Medina river.

Tim
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 12:14:41 PM »
Well, since no else has said it- be sure to ask about the basement tour at the Alamo.

The Alamo is only one of several missions in the area- check out some of the others.  I don't know much about what is south of San Antone, but west and north, there are a lot of good roads and good BBQ.  It used to be Kruez Market and Black's in Lockhart, and City Market in Luling were about the best you could get (IN THE WORLD).  I'm sure there are other contenders now. 

Fredricksburg, Johnson City, all up in that area is just wonderful, beautiful riding.  Be careful of the weather, though.

In SA, (10+ years ago) I found a lot of the riverwalk to be just bars.  Good for drinking, too loud.  There was a jazz bar with the Jim Cullum (sp?) band playing that I liked.  His band played older jazz- like Hogie Carmichael stuff.  But that's my taste- I like it. 

New Braunfels has some nice German restaurants.  San Marcos has the river if you want to go swimming (the water is ~71.6 F year 'round).  Seriously- it sounds goofy, but consider it.  The SM river is cleaner than the water you drink at home today.  It is a jewel.  And yes, cold.

well said about the BBQ.  But alas, Cullum's Landing is no more.

I think the Riverwalk at Xmas is more than just bars.  Good food, river tours and the place is all dolled up with lights and stuff.  I really think they celebrate Christmas much more down there.

The weather is usually great this time of year.  I've gone swimming in Nov.  But last year we were run out of town when freezing wind came down there and we were chased up to home Okla where it was actually a little warmer. 
John L 

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 06:02:28 AM »
Left out of town yesterday morning and drove 300 miles in the rain.  Strong headwinds.  Heavy traffic all the way, even in the usually deserted areas.

Found one of those chrome "nostalgic" Route 66 Diners.     :laugh:

Hit Plano, Tx around 5pm and it was stop and go all the way to south of Dallas.  Yes, I DO know better.
Got off the road near Waco.  Probably gonna end up in Kerrville.   Maybe.   lol

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 08:34:44 PM »
Today we ended up in Bandera, Texas - around lunch time.  And then we went for a ride

.... and then headed for the 3 Sisters

Got back to town (population 800-something) and discovered that some of the residents just walk right down the streets, like they own the place.  There are a LOT of these out running around

And then over to the OST for a great dinner

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 08:47:41 PM »
OK, cool.   :blank:

I hope you get to the Riverwalk. 
John L 

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 07:13:40 AM »
You must visit the Apple Store in Medina, Tx., about 40 miles west of San Antonio. It has a small gift store, bakery, and grill (hamburgers, etc.). They grow their own apple trees/apples. Their apple yogurt is fabulous, and they have samples of different apple jellies.

We found that place !  They were baking apple pies in the back, and she said that each pie has 4 pounds of apples.  Very tall pies.   lol

We got some of their apple strudels.  Very fresh.  Very good.

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2018, 09:12:26 PM »
So, these guys were out running around this morning, terrorizing the neighborhood.

We escaped, and went for a ride

Light frost to start, with sunshine, blue skies, and 78 degrees to finish out the day.

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2018, 11:14:42 AM »
Good show, kballowe.  You picked some beautiful weather to visit down here.  If you're ever down here in the summer, stop in again at  Love's apple store in Medina.  Fresh, cold apple cider & pie and sit on the picnic bench, take off your boots and work your feet in cool grass.  Heaven.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2018, 06:17:55 PM »
Sunday, December 23rd.
Woke to 45 degrees this morning, and managed 68 and sunny for a great finish.
The cat plants were in full bloom

And the deer were out, just across the street.  These appear to be town deer.

Got on the road, and headed to San Antonio.  The Alamo is right in the middle of the city.  Lots of other old stone buildings.  Neat place.

Spent some time on the "River Walk". 

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 06:19:23 PM by kballowe »

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 06:38:31 AM »
It's not quite daylight here.

Caught this one sneaking around the side of the cabin.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2018, 09:50:40 AM »
I hope you can do some night life on the Riverwalk.  It's great when it's decorated for Xmas.
John L 

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 09:59:00 AM »
And another thing......

We had some interesting road surfaces.

The trucks dump gravel and then roll it, and then just spray tar.  OK, I THINK it's tar.  Big, long spray bar at the back of a tanker truck.
Is this the famous Texas chip and seal ?

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 11:28:58 AM »
Is this the famous Texas chip and seal?

Not only Texas, of course, it's known the world over: it's inexpensive, requires little equipment and takes no skill.  Hateful stuff, isn't it?

In New Zealand I saw plenty of roads that were done by putting the goop down first, then the chips.

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 12:59:29 PM »
We have a lot of "chip and seal" here.  It's quarter-inch sized gravel and they put it down over the base tar layer.

I had never seen that large gravel used.  Some of that Texas stuff was inch and a half - and some all rounded like it came from the creek bed. 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:06:50 PM by kballowe »

Online bassa99

• Hatchling
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 01:49:15 PM »
We have a lot of "chip and seal" here.  It's quarter-inch sized gravel and they put it down over the base tar layer.

I had never seen that large gravel used.  Some of that Texas stuff was inch and a half - and some all rounded like it came from the creek bed.

Everything is bigger in Texas.

Did you happen to go to Arkey Blues Lounge in Bandera? I try to get to Texas once a year always enjoy the hill country.
1999 Bassa
2001 Confederate Hellcat
1974 Eldorado
1973 Norton Commando restoration project

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2019, 02:44:45 PM »
Everything is bigger in Texas.

Did you happen to go to Arkey Blues Lounge in Bandera? I try to get to Texas once a year always enjoy the hill country.

We never made it to the Arkey Blues Lounge.  lol - we never made it to any lounge.   
 :bike-037:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here