Author Topic: GuzziTech exhaust for V7?  (Read 3500 times)

Offline G5

• New Egg
    • MotoGuzziGuy
GuzziTech exhaust for V7?
« on: January 02, 2019, 12:44:02 PM »
Any recent experience with the GTM V7 I-II FULL 2>1 EXHAUST SYSTEM from GuzziTech? I'd be interested in the stock-mount megaphone.

Website says "GTM ECU Flash HIGHLY recommended. The bike will not run correctly on stock fueling with this system." Not sure if this is for the reverse megaphone system or the stubby system, described as no exhaust at all. Would it be needed for my 2013 V& Stone, and if so, what's involved with the ECU Flash?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2548/2928/products/a6f6b62d4d87abf09ea6cf7dcb0ba421_400x.jpg?v=1539740802
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
2008 Aprilia Scarabeo 200
2017 Royal Enfield 500

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: GuzziTech exhaust for V7?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 01:06:12 PM »
My direct experience is Agostini exhaust on a v7 iii with a Beetle remap  ... so not exactly your situation.

If you are getting a Todd made & tuned exhaust, it does seem to make sense to get his mapping update (ECU Flash).

Also, it seems many guys liked a map update even to their stock v7 I & II, and certainly after an exhaust change.  (So yes, I'd say this is needed)

For Todd's solution, you get the exhaust and put it on, you get a tuner (little blackbox) from him (made by Rexxer), you use that to read your stock map, you email it to him, he sends you an updated map, you use the Rexxer box to write that map to your bike, and you are good to go.  If you have any issues/concerns just email Todd again and he will tweak/adjust your map if needed.  So a complete solution, 1 place to go for help, fully supported by Todd.

For me, I didn't like the $500 map for 1 bike price/deal that Todd does (mostly driven by Rexxer).  So if you buy another Moto Guzzi, you can not use that same box on it ... you'd have to buy another one!  And I felt like I would get another Guzzi and didn't want to be in it for $1000 to map both (or $1500 for three).  And also, I liked the look of the Agostini exhaust options better. 

So I went the Beetle map and Guzzidiag route.  $100 per map, ~$50 for cables, and a donation to the guzzidiag/reader/writer guys (the software, free download).  You do need a Windows laptop and be able to install a device driver and the software.

But if I was getting a Todd made exhaust and then expecting Beetle to work on a map for it ... that doesn't seem right. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 02:55:17 PM »
I do not recommend spending big bucks for aftermarket exhaust on the V7 (particularly the ones with Heron heads) but if that's your thing....go for it.  Then you really do need to adjust the ECU map.  If you have a REXXER dealer with a dyno he can make a custom map that will be more reliable than anything done by trial and error through mailing stuff back and forth.  Beetle's map may do the trick too.  Drop him a note to see.  That's by far the most bang for your buck.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 03:48:35 PM »

[snip]

So if you buy another Moto Guzzi, you can not use that same box on it ... you'd have to buy another one!  And I felt like I would get another Guzzi and didn't want to be in it for $1000 to map both (or $1500 for three). 

[/snip]

Jeez...I thought that already grossly expensive box is for all of the Guzzi bikes...geez, NOW I get why...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 03:48:35 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 04:41:58 PM »
 Agostinis and a Beetlemap . Done .

Dusty

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 04:49:54 PM »
Jeez...I thought that already grossly expensive box is for all of the Guzzi bikes...geez, NOW I get why...

But wait ... it is for one 1 bike by serial number or VIN, not sure how Rexxer does it.

So if you bought a Special, and your wife got a Carbon Dark, and your son got a Racer ... you'd need 3 of the Rexxer boxes!   So it is a license thing, not just a model of ECU thing. 

I could understand something like $200-$250 for the box, then ~$100 per map ... so with 3 bikes you'd be out $250 + $300 for $550 ... but not $1500. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 05:02:59 PM »
Agostinis and a Beetlemap . Done .

Dusty

:laugh: That's the route I took!  I like the Moto Guzzi Agostini connection ... I like the look (and sound) of the Agostinis.   Todd seems to go with smaller, shorter exhausts ... like he is trying to hide them.  So if you like a minimum look or that "hide the exhaust" look, then that could be a good fit.

Also, Todd does provide a one stop shop and support ... some people freak out a bit on "order cables from England, get software from 1-2 guys in Germany, get a map from Beetle in Australia, figure out how to install all this from Internet posts/tips/hints, and re-map your bike!".   :grin:    For me, my Griso had ~250 miles on it when I loaded the Beetle map, and around 600 miles on my Racer when I Beetle mapped it.  But I understand not everyone is cool with that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:47:12 AM by usedtobefast »
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 11:15:41 AM »
Alternately?
Swap the bike for a  V7 III (R). I didn't need any of that stuff. It's why I waited. (see thread on 1st year V85 reliability). I did need a better frt. brake. IMO the stock exhaust sounds deep and quiet. There are no cold start or other fueling problems. True. Electronics will always baffle me.  R3~

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »
My Mk1 V7 Agostini pipes and a remap is pure bliss.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 11:37:18 AM »
2014 Special with Agos and DB killers IN.  No remap needed, runs great. 
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 11:42:49 AM »

on my 2014 V7 Special, I used Agostini slipons and did not change maps.  Just did the reset procedure:  Unhook the battery.  Let it sit.  Hook up the battery, start the bike, let it idle for a few minutes.  It has the ability to self adjust.  Bike ran great with the Agostinis and the Db killers that were shortened by half.  Nice sound, not too loud.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline midnite

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 10:23:56 PM »
Guess i'll be the voice in the wilderness...

I have a 2016 V7ii.  I bought Todd's expensive mapping device about 1000 miles in, and was pleasantly surprised by how it cut warm-up time and smoothed out acceleration and power delivery at all RPMs.  After eyeing his reverse-cone megs, I decided to go whole-hog, and bought the 2>1 full system.  It was great looking, but too loud for my taste, and I never really got the fueling sorted out despite trying out over a dozen maps that Todd created remotely (to his credit, the guy goes above and beyond to support his products).  I ended up working out a deal to 'trade' it back to him for the reverse-cone megs that I wanted originally, and couldn't be happier.  The throttle is more responsive than with stock mufflers, fueling is smooth and more powerful, and the deep, rich sound is absolutely perfect - for me anyway.  I particularly notice how I can easily pull from about 3k RPM and up with the new fueling/mufflers, which wasn't the case with the stock setup (even with Todd's map).  5k to 7k is a full-on party with more punchy power and a righteous, ripping sound from the exhaust.  Always puts a smile on my face. :)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here