Author Topic: Goose Always Gets Me  (Read 1556 times)

britman

Goose Always Gets Me
« on: January 04, 2019, 05:30:19 PM »
I did a valve adjustment on my California Touring 1400 today.  Piece of cake as far as the actual setting the lash, a couple of loose and one a little tight, but nothing way out of spec.  What took the most amount of time was an attempt to remove the gas tank side panels.  Yes I know you don't have to remove them to pull the covers, but I figured I would clean under there while I was at it and check the spark plug lead routing.  Pulled the front and rear screw, but still tight.  Of course I won't check the manual, it's just side covers.  Tried sliding a little left, a little right, pulled up, but they still were in place.  In my 70 years I have gained enough wisdom to go in and Google CV14 gas tank removal procedure.  Three screws in the tank side panels and damned if one isn't located behind the Goose emblem.  Got to love those crazy Italians.  Needless to say cleaning will wait till another day when I pull the entire tank, if a good enough reason ever arises.  The final fun thing was putting the front panel screw back, (of course they are different lengths and allen socket won't fit because of the header pipe)  screw in far as you can by hand and use a allen wrench about a half a turn at a time to tighten.  I used to think vintage Triumphs were the most fun, with Whitworth and metric bolts scattered throughout the bike, MG might be giving it a run for first place.....

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:56:23 AM by britman »

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Goose Always Gets Me
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 07:23:03 PM »
That's a minor hassle compared to my first attempt to change the air filter on my V65 small block Guzzi, remove seat and tank, block engine, undo engine/frame mounts, jack up frame, remove cover, replace filter....no wonder most now have K&N's including mine.
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 07:37:18 PM »
I feel your pain---your not alone tho,heres a remedy that may help----take a deep breath,pour yourself a stiff bourbon,count to 37 in HEBREW,start chanting I love Guzzi--I love Guzzi---I love Guzzi----REPEAT
   If you havent guessed,thats what I do(often)----it may not work :evil: but you will feel better  :thumb:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 07:38:04 PM »
does anyone know what the bike looks like with extra tupperware off?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 07:38:04 PM »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 07:42:19 AM »
I'm about ready to do a valve adjustment on my 2015 1400 tourer. It was my understanding that the tank does not have to be removed for that procedure, correct or not?

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 03:02:21 PM »
That's a minor hassle compared to my first attempt to change the air filter on my V65 small block Guzzi, remove seat and tank, block engine, undo engine/frame mounts, jack up frame, remove cover, replace filter....no wonder most now have K&N's including mine.
No doubt,  I never was able to change it on mine!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 06:55:35 PM »
I'm about ready to do a valve adjustment on my 2015 1400 tourer. It was my understanding that the tank does not have to be removed for that procedure, correct or not?

No need to lift the tank for a valve check Dan. 

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 08:54:56 AM »
No need to lift the tank for a valve check Dan.
👍

Offline stephenm

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 04:59:51 PM »
The side panels are decorative. There is no need to remove them. You can remove the bolt holding the rear of the tank down, then slide the tank back off its rubber mounts at the front (do it with a near empty tank) by a few inches. This will allow you to lift the tank a few inches, without having to disconnect anything else. You can place some small timber blocks to hold the tank up. This will give you plenty of room to check routing of lines etc.

Stephen

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here