Author Topic: Everybody talks about the weather...  (Read 5337 times)

oldbike54

Everybody talks about the weather...
« on: July 21, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
... but no one ever does anything about it  :rolleyes:

We reached 101F today with a "feels like" of 117 . The humidity is going down just a bit , HIF is down to 109 . Take that Lucydad , Houston is actually more comfortable than Muskogee , and usually is  :tongue: AC is struggling to keep up , REALLY glad I don't have to work in this stuff anymore  :laugh:

Dusty

twowings

Re: Everybody talks about the weather...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 04:09:20 PM »
I just did 175 miles in it...about 1:45 p.m. I could start to feel the oppressive heat as running 70 mph just wasn't cooling me off anymore...then I hit road construction on OK-11 near Bigheart and saw those guys laying fresh asphalt and then I didn't feel so hot anymore...glad to be home and cuddling with an adult beverage!  :thumb:

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 04:12:37 PM »
 Now you're gonna have folks looking for Bigheart  :laugh:

Dusty

twowings

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 04:16:12 PM »
Wah-Zha-Zhi!  :thumb:

1000 Bonus Points if you can tell me who John Stink was!   

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 04:16:12 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 04:21:48 PM »
Wah-Zha-Zhi!  :thumb:

1000 Bonus Points if you can tell me who John Stink was!

Too easy for an Okie  :grin:

Dusty

Offline wildebube

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 04:38:35 PM »
Maybe I'm just dense, but I don't get this whole heat index/"feels like" thing.  Joe Weatherman tells me it's 101.  Then he tells me that it "feels like" 117.  Unless I'm missing something, the mere fact that there is such a thing as a heat index tells me that a temperature, by itself, is a meaningless number when trying to determine how hot it feels.  If they're telling me that 101 is meaningless without whatever goes into calculating the heat index, then how is telling me 117 any less meaningless?  If I don't know how hot 101 feels, how do I know how hot 117 feels?  I'm sure that humidity is factored into the heat index, but I don't know if that's the only other factor or not.   In order for the heat index to have any meaning at all, they need to tell me the reference humidity - for example, "It's 101 and the humidity is 82%.  That means it feels like 117 would feel at 30%."  That still wouldn't be meaningful if I lived in New Orleans where the humidity is NEVER 30%, but at least it would give me some frame of reference.

And who decides the reference humidity anyway?  Is it the same everywhere?  If the reference humidity is 20%, what does that mean to someone living in New Orleans?  The humidity doesn't get that low there.  It would make sense for the people in New Orleans to say that the average humidity there is 86% and use that as their reference.  Likewise, it would make sense for people in Death Valley to use a very low number for their reference. 

But without a lot more information than they're giving us, the heat index is completely useless.
<\rant>
Lee Norman
2016 V7 II Special

twowings

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »
They have to justify all that expensive equipment with dazzling BS!  :grin:

Once it hits 100, it does seem rather pointless to quantify it further...

Offline Beerman

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 04:52:30 PM »
Here in the UK, I'm planning my ride.:

9am: 65' feels like 55.
10.30am: summer is here. 85, feels like 85. People sunbathing amidst the traffic queues on the motorway (true). Newspapers lead with 'it's a scorcher' headlines.
2pm. Water shortage and hose pipe ban declared.
2.30pm: summer is over. The monsoon season has begun. Epic thunder & lightning.
3pm: monsoon season over. Hose pipe ban will Nevertheless remain in place for 3 months. Trains, roads and airports out of action.
5pm: back to normal. Heated grips would be good at this point.
7pm: there may be a late frost this evening.

Beerman
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 04:53:35 PM by Beerman »
2018 Triumph Speedmaster
2016 V711 Special
2014 Vespa Sprint

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 05:08:10 PM »
 Trust me , the HIF is real , 100 F with dew points in the 40's is fairly comfortable in the shade , 90 F with dew points in the 70's is uncomfortable , shade or no shade .

Dusty

Penderic

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 05:13:30 PM »
Too hot for a barbque?  :boozing:

Offline MiLD GRiSO

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 05:21:35 PM »
Wouldn't the higher humidity be beneficial for air cooled engines?

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 05:25:10 PM »

We reached 101F today with a "feels like" of 117 . The humidity is going down just a bit , HIF is down to 109 . Take that Lucydad , Houston is actually more comfortable than Muskogee , and usually is  :tongue: AC is struggling to keep up , REALLY glad I don't have to work in this stuff anymore  :laugh:

Dusty

Mexicans were working outside on the place yesterday and today, they work from sunrise to sunset, I gave a couple of them some ice cold Arizona teas today. Man those guy's can take the heat.

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 05:29:31 PM »
Wouldn't the higher humidity be beneficial for air cooled engines?

I don't believe metal knows the difference , except that humid air is more dense , easier to make HP.

Dusty

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 05:30:25 PM »
Trust me , the HIF is real , 100 F with dew points in the 40's is fairly comfortable in the shade , 90 F with dew points in the 70's is uncomfortable , shade or no shade .

Dusty

And right there you wrote the magic words.  :thumb:

Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »
I don't believe metal knows the difference , except that humid air is more dense , easier to make HP.

Dusty

Damn...and now you lost your attaboy. Humidity in the air reduces oxygen and thus the HP an engine can make at a given temp and baro pressure.
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 05:35:56 PM »
    And right there you wrote the magic words.  :thumb:

Terry

Yep , sweat doesn't evaporate in humid air , the body can't cool its self . Another indicator of the effect of humid air over dry air , in low humidity night time temps are much cooler . Our lows here are running at 80F , in Kenton OK at the very Western end of the Panhandle the lows are mid 60's.

Dusty

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 05:54:49 PM »
I don't care why or how all I know it is f-ing hot here! What, no sweat icon?
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline RayB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 06:10:54 PM »
Uh Dusty highly humid air is LESS dense than dry air. Air molecular weight is about 28 and the more water that is mixed in with its mw at 18, the mixture gets lighter or less dense....just for future reference
01 EV
82 BMW R100

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 06:14:06 PM »
Uh Dusty highly humid air is LESS dense than dry air. Air molecular weight is about 28 and the more water that is mixed in with its mw at 18, the mixture gets lighter or less dense....just for future reference

Well , and of course you are correct sir , gonna blame this on a lack of oxygen  :embarrassed:

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 12:26:22 AM »
it got hot here today. 

Even when I was BBQ-ing dinner at 6:30 it was 97. 

Hot in the summer.  It's always news every year. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 12:35:55 AM »
it got hot here today. 

Even when I was BBQ-ing dinner at 6:30 it was 97. 

Hot in the summer.  It's always news every year.

True , but 100 F with 60 % humidity as opposed to 100 F with 39% humidity like you folks in OKC got today is tough . Normally when we are hitting 100 the air is drier , that was my point .

Dusty

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 06:43:47 AM »
Well, actually, we're all "doing something about it" every time we fire up our engines and turn hydrocarbons into CO2.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 06:56:52 AM »
Getting ready to go to OSHKOSH for the annual fly in/campout. Maybe I should get extra batteries for my fan?  :weiner:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

lucydad

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 07:23:17 AM »
Dusty,

Yeah, that is up there.  I pretty much live for early mornings and evenings.  Poodle walks then, and then only.  Managed to clean out my half of double garage yesterday and this morning. Will start parking little Red Mazda inside.  Went to food store yesterday afternoon and the inside of the car was like an oven.  So there, I did something about it.

More of the same today. 

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 08:35:38 AM »
Quote from Chuck:
Getting ready to go to OSHKOSH for the annual fly in/campout. Maybe I should get extra batteries for my fan?

Just find a taildragger that the owner will just let run at idle and you will have a big fan to camp behind.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 06:27:47 PM »
We're getting ready for a tropical storm front moving in.  It'll be comfortable with 50mph winds blowing.  May be some horizontal rain.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

LaMojo

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2016, 07:08:45 AM »

.......But without a lot more information than they're giving us, the heat index is completely useless.
<\rant>

But it , like a lot of media generated hype, makes additional sensational info that the TV "meteorologist" can report.  I put meteorologist in quotes because most of these weather men are no more than reporters like Al Roker who doesn't have a degree or formal education in anything remotely to weather but yet, is NBC's weather authority.

oldbike54

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2016, 09:42:39 AM »
But it , like a lot of media generated hype, makes additional sensational info that the TV "meteorologist" can report.  I put meteorologist in quotes because most of these weather men are no more than reporters like Al Roker who doesn't have a degree or formal education in anything remotely to weather but yet, is NBC's weather authority.

Don't know about Louisiana Jack , but we have mostly "real" meteorologists here in Oklahoma . Some might even call them scientists that devote their lives to studying the weather , and probably don't have any idea who Al Roker is . (Who is he?) I'll bet some of you guys think wind chill factor is some made up mumbo jumbo also  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »
It has been comfortable here the past few days. We even had a bit of rain yesterday! Next week, though, I fear hellish weather conditions will return, along with hellish traffic.

Why doesn't somebody do something about traffic congestion? I need an air-conditioned motorcycle...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2016, 10:01:03 AM »
The coldest I've ever been in my life was aboard the USS Lexington in Mayport, Fl. The wind off the Atlantic was blowing about 40 and the actual temp was 24. That was 50 years ago and I can still feel the chill in my bones.

I've been in Leadville, CO with the sun shining on the snow and the temp was 30. Pleasant.

When we used to have the National in Sylvan Grove, KS it was brutal with the temp at 70, high humidity and no wind.

Now my abused and neglected old bod doesn't take the heat since having a heat stroke 5 years ago.

I admit I don't have enough sense to stop and drink and rest. Always want to go a little further and it kicks me in the ask for doing it. Beaver makes me stop when I get looking too bad.

Tex

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here