Author Topic: Royal Enfield Himalayan  (Read 15494 times)

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2018, 06:33:40 AM »
Heck, we ride Guzzis - which, by any measurable standard is a wonky decision.

Nick

Wow, I never really thought about it, but, you're right!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2018, 08:40:26 AM »
I think the new RE is underpowered compared to a DR650 or KLR 650 plus both the DR and KLR have been around for a very long time, super reliable, well supported aftermarket parts and accessories, cheap to run. DR makes 43.5 hp and the KLR is rated at 42 hp.

So a 400 is underpowered compared to a 650! Wow! Who would have thought?  :laugh: :wink: It's still a bit underpowered compared to something similarly low-tech like a Yamaha SR400.
Charlie

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2018, 09:18:20 AM »
Though I’m fascinated by the Himalayan, it misses my mark...but only a little. I have always thought that the 350 to 450cc engine size was an ideal class for dual sport riding, but the RE comes in a little too heavy. It weighs about the same as a V7 Stornello, but delivers about half the horsepower. For about $1500 more cash I could buy a brand new (leftover) 2017 Suzuki DRZ400S. That bike is lighter, more powerful, better handling, and has a larger dealer network. I like the new Honda 450 dual sport too, but the price rivals the expensive KTM offerings. OTOH, the DRZ cannot match the funky vibe of the RE. It’s just the thing for the “different drummer” set...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2018, 01:12:42 AM »
Some of you seem to miss the point. The Himalayan is first of all for the Indian home market. It is better suited for the really bad ways there than the Bullet series. When they are able to sell some of them in the western markets - all the better.

One of our magazines has in a group ridden Himalayans about 2500 km in - well - the Himalaya, and they regarded the bike as phantastic. Much better than the Bullet they had also in the group. And now a Himalayan is in an endurance test (in Germany) and more and more of the writers discover it is a lovely bike. Not fast but why should riding always be about going fast? Having looked at and taking seat on a Himalayan I have to say this could easily be my second bike in the garage (actually my third but my Honda ST70 DAX which you Americans know under "CT70" is still not running).
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2018, 01:12:42 AM »

Offline ozziguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2018, 03:35:20 AM »
Fossil has made the essential point - namely that this is a bike made principally for the domestic Indian market and the greatest number will be sold there, so elements of its design are peculiar to that market.

I've just come back from a 2000 km High Himalayas ride (Spiti Valley) and after a bad experience on a R E Classic 3 years ago, insisted on a F I Himalayan. I wasn't expecting anything wonderful but was agreeably surprised.

The good.
No plastic panels so that with the tank surround and a rack on the back, damage would be minimal if you came off.
Comfortable seat. (2 hours easy) Not like my NC 700.
Good suspension and very stable. Got up on the pegs in the rough stuff and easy to stand for a kilometre.
Good economy (probably near 30kms per litre on the flat)
Brakes good, gearchange slick and easy. Rolling on and off the throttle very progressive and smooth (not like my Indian Scout)
Never once felt it would flop into a corner (esp a R H one)
Rode it on the 'tollway' (joke) at 100kph (sometimes 110kph)- 70mph and it seemed to cope.
Sells in Delhi for US $2600.  Has '"presence" so ideal for jousting with tuk tuks, scooters, and smaller stuff.

The bad
underpowered (by western standards) (inevitable with that much metal rather than plastic)
overgeared. On steep climbs changing fr first to second had the revs dropping too much and it would bog down.
                  Gear ratios are too wide but this could be fixed by dropping one tooth on the front sprocket.

I made a point of getting on my MT03 (660c Tenere motor) as soon as I got home to make a comparison and there wasn't a lot in it. It accelerated more strongly, and the gears weren't as 'gappy' but if Yamaha were now trying to sell that bike for the MRP that was listed in 2015, then I'd take the Himalayan.

I wouldn't take the criticisms of anyone who hadn't done a reasonably long ride (not a dealer ride) too seriously.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 10:29:14 PM by ozziguzzi »
2012 V7 special STB
Kawasaki Drifter
Kawasaki GPZ 500
2012 racer TTB
K75
SV650X cafe
W800 cafe
GB 500
Suzuki Titan T500
Honda MB5 (with a whoppa 100cc engine transplant)
Kawasaki Sherpa
CX 650 (2)
DR 650
Kawasaki BR250 (3)
DR 200
Honda Spadas (3)
Vespa Della Moda

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2018, 07:32:08 AM »
I have a friend that is a RE dealer in Indianapolis.  Spoke to him at a show this weekend, and he has pre-sold every Himalayan (5) he's had, so far.  I think they are cool, but not as cool as my TW200. 
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2018, 09:55:33 AM »
Reading some of the comments on this bike, it seems like it needs some work in the suspension area and some fitments (i.e., footpegs, etc) need some fiddling. But, if you follow many of the threads over at ADV, there are no motorcycles out there that don't need some attention in these areas.  One can easily drop over a grand into a V7 to get the suspension "just right" and suppliers are making a crap ton of money supplying adjustable foot pegs for everything out there.  To me, it looks like a motorcycle ought to look with no superfluous plastic to break when it decides to take a dirt nap.  Lots of good bikes out there and I welcome any addition that might get more seats on seats.

twowings

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2018, 11:15:30 AM »
It's a quirky, odd, technologically-primitive, somewhat-down-on-power bike from a foreign country...who among us has ever bought a bike LIKE THAT???  :evil:

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2018, 01:25:22 PM »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2018, 02:59:13 PM »
I think they look great.  It's like a half price Bonneville Scrambler....with half the horsepower and questionable reliability.  It has roughly the same power to weight ratio as a Suzuki VanVan or Yamaha TW200.  The Himalayan is 400lbs and has 24hp.  If I was going to buy a 25hp dual sport it would be the Honda 250 Rally or Kawasaki KLX 250.  Both are almost hundred pounds lighter and they're bulletproof.  For most riders who want to actually go someplace, fotoguzzi's suggestion makes a lot more sense.  A secondhand DR650 or DRZ400S can be fully outfitted to tour with an upgraded seat, larger tank, skidplate and soft bags for less than the Himalayan.  They'd outperform the Enfield in every measurable way.  I think the Enfield appeals to a lot of the same people that buy Ural's; mechanical masochists who don't mind having to rent a Uhaul trailer occasionally to get their bike home.  I prefer my adventure's to be free from reliability concerns.     

I take great umbrage at this remark Sir! I'll have you know that we own our own damned trailers and don't have to rent them from U haul!  :evil:
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

twowings

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2018, 04:43:39 PM »
Here is a link to a real-world use report from advrider.com:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/royal-enfield-himalayan-owners-thread.1253460/page-69#post-35187012

Reply #1364

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2018, 08:47:19 AM »
Here is a link to a real-world use report from advrider.com:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/royal-enfield-himalayan-owners-thread.1253460/page-69#post-35187012

Reply #1364

That is an interesting synopsis of sorting out a Himalayan.  Sounds virtually verbatim like many posts on this forum site regarding the sorting of a Guzzi! 

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2018, 04:12:57 PM »
i suppose i am one of the masochists, owning guzzi's , ducati's , and ... wait for it..... a enfield.
despite owning a nineties iron barrel enfield , and using it for 70.000 km as a daily transport , i never needed a trailer.
so i am in a pretty good position to comment.

but basically , it comes down to choices , if you really want to get anywhere , have zero reliability issues, just get a plane/bus ticket.
if you want to be involved into your travels , get a airconditioned toyota.
you might even consider a bike.
if you do so , make sure to get a BMG 1200 GS, they are supposed to be reliable ( probably why i never owned one)  :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

i have heard people actually riding smaller , completely unsuitable bikes? who knows...
I get that completely.
I did my first Nordkapp on a BMW R1200 GS and it was like having a hot shower while wearing your raincoat...! All the charm of a wooden spoon, or kissing your sister, (really easy but no "spark")..
Comparing the little Enfield with a DR 650 is fraught with imponderables, that's like comparing a Griso with an Aprilia RSV 1000 and calling the Griso weak because it's "measurably inferior".
The bits that matter are immeasurable..
If the brave little Enfield pushes your buttons, then that's the one to get.
I reckon they're worth a look.. :thumb:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:42:07 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2018, 04:17:55 PM »
It's a quirky, odd, technologically-primitive, somewhat-down-on-power bike from a foreign country...who among us has ever bought a bike LIKE THAT???  :evil:
Priceless... :thumb: :bow:

That Simon bloke, (was it Ted ?) who wrote Jupiter's Travels, rode a vile, stinking piece of junk 'round the world and was justifiably revered for it, that's the real charm.
In 2015 I shipped a GS to London, did 25,000 k's, washed the bike and came home.
If there'd been a bridge over the wet bits, that's akin to riding from Creswick (Melbourne) to London and back home, which is more distance as 'round the world on the dirt bits, yet my trip is no big deal at all.
The Beemer makes it just too damn "safe and easy".
Riding the Enfield over the Top of The World would be life defining.
On a DRZ 400 Suzuki...? Relatively dull, pointless and too easy.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:43:16 PM by Huzo »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2018, 04:23:20 PM »
I was shooting the..er.. breeze.. at the restaurant on Angles Crest one day with a guy that had an older Enfield nicely cafe'd. He said it was the most unreliable machine he'd ever had.. and the most fun. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2018, 04:39:58 PM »
I was shooting the..er.. breeze.. at the restaurant on Angles Crest one day with a guy that had an older Enfield nicely cafe'd. He said it was the most unreliable machine he'd ever had.. and the most fun. <shrug>
Yep.
If you want reliable, have a look at the plastic spoon you used to put the sugar in your coffee.
Never seen one break down..!
BTW.. I reckon your/his point is supremely valid.
Anyway, it was sort of reliable. You could rely on it breaking down.. :rolleyes: :angry:

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2018, 11:31:17 AM »
Ted Simon’s first circumnavigation was in 1973 and was sponsored by a UK newspaper. I’m sure that riding a native-born motorcycle was part of the deal. When he went back a second time in 2001, he rode a BMW R80GS...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2018, 12:11:22 PM »
Ted Simon�s first circumnavigation was in 1973 and was sponsored by a UK newspaper. I�m sure that riding a native-born motorcycle was part of the deal. When he went back a second time in 2001, he rode a BMW R80GS...

Simon also had limited sponsorship from Triumph and Avon on the first trip. For the second trip he had help from a BMW dealer and reader support -- a lot of folks contributed $5/month. Also see http://jupitalia.com/sponsors/

70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Shiftonthefly

• New Egg
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2018, 01:03:54 PM »
I love it. For the precise reason I love the Guzzi. It's different. It may not do all the amazing things a GS or Tiger can do...but damn it's cool. For the most part people don't push the bike to the limits of capability any way. Mostly it's the rider holding the bike back. I really dig that thing. Except for that stupid dual fender.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2018, 01:39:30 PM »
27 Jan 2016, 9:35 UTC · by Florin Tibu/ Home / News / Moto

Siddhartha Lal, CEO of Eicher Motors and the man who gave Royal Enfield a new future, has made the first public declarations after official RE footage showed a peg falling off a bike during a video teaser.

Improved Quality Control Much?
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »
Yep.
If you want reliable, have a look at the plastic spoon you used to put the sugar in your coffee.
Never seen one break down..!
BTW.. I reckon your/his point is supremely valid.
Anyway, it was sort of reliable. You could rely on it breaking down.. :rolleyes: :angry:

Oh, I've broken those plastic boogers. Get you a Guzzi spoon. Made out of metal.. it'll outlast you.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline tcunnien

• New Egg
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2018, 08:18:01 PM »
Wife just bought home a new Himalayan yesterday. She bought it as a companion to her Suzuki V- Strom 1000. She wanted something smaller and a bit lighter and more nimble for short trips around the area. She also wanted something a bit on the quirky side. We shall see how it holds up.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2018, 10:12:21 PM »
Saw one sitting @ flying tigers motorcycles in Maplewood, Mo. (st Louis) the other day
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2018, 05:53:04 AM »
Wife just bought home a new Himalayan yesterday. She bought it as a companion to her Suzuki V- Strom 1000. She wanted something smaller and a bit lighter and more nimble for short trips around the area. She also wanted something a bit on the quirky side. We shall see how it holds up.

Please keep us updated on your experience with the Himalayan.

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2018, 08:45:05 AM »
Hope this link to the RE video was not posted previously, but regardless - it's well done. And the DC3 flying next to the road is SUPER COOL.

https://youtu.be/Oc0-Ndu_rzI

I want to ride one of these, but will have to track down a dealer in SW Ohio. I get all the points about RE and this being under-powered, but -

1) I believe it IS a new engine, not derived from the very old-school RE stuff.
2) Components look nice - Brembo brakes, while not uncommon, are certainly decnt units.
3) I like the ergos, and agree with many that a 400 CC thumper is a very usable size for what this is intended for.

And yes Leafman - we're all interested in the observations of an owner!
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline tcunnien

• New Egg
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2018, 10:18:54 AM »
My wife has had the Himalayan for about 3 weeks now.  Included is a picture of the bike with a Givi top box that we installed. I also included a picture of the braces I made for the rear rack so that there wouldn't be any issues with the rack bending or breaking. For those that are wondering the motor is a new design that has nothing in common with the engine that is the bullet 500. First impression are favorable. Nothing has fallen off yet.  :grin: So far the bike is meeting the needs of what my wife wanted it for. Which was short trips around the area, and to run errands. It is fun on the backroads with plenty of power and torque to maintain speeds up to 50-60. It will go faster but will work when hills are involved. On dirt roads she has found it very sure footed and easy to control. She likes the brakes on dirt as they are not as touchy as the ones on her 1000 v-strom. One negative is the saddle is two piece. and the pillow seat starts to be a bit uncomfortable against her lower back after a bit. So overall first impressions are good and we shall see what develops during the rest of the riding season. But right now its meeting her needs, which I guess is all we can ask of any bike.

Anonymous Olde English

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2018, 10:38:17 AM »
Wow, she can haul a lot of stuff on that bike.

Glad to hear that it "does what it says on the tin".    What sort of engine is it?   Still "Enfield-made" but just not the old 1955-base model, or maybe even the Indians are using Chinese engines these days.

Hope it continues to give satisfaction ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2018, 10:53:27 AM »
Hope this link to the RE video was not posted previously, but regardless - it's well done. And the DC3 flying next to the road is SUPER COOL.

https://youtu.be/Oc0-Ndu_rzI

Went back and looked at the video, and although it IS a bit "Master Po" style, and the DC-3 is a simulation, it's a pretty effective "Go have an Adventure on our Adventure Bike" video.   

I wouldn't mind having one, but there's no place in my motorcycling bag of clubs for it at the moment ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline tcunnien

• New Egg
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2018, 10:55:02 AM »
The engine is made in India in the new RE manufacturing plant. The frame, which is robotically welded was designed by Harris Performance in England. They are now owned by Royal Enfield. I have a attached a picture of the engine that is from the RE site.

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2018, 12:44:51 PM »
 The Himalayan really intrigues me but for my use I can't see what has to over over my 88 Yamaha XT350, oh I know E start!
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here