Author Topic: Royal Enfield Himalayan  (Read 15379 times)

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Royal Enfield Himalayan
« on: May 29, 2018, 09:34:12 PM »
https://royalenfield.com/usa/motorcycles/himalayan/bike/

Does this have modern shades of the Nuovo Falcone Militare?

I've been reading unexpected good reviews on the Himalayan in the few motorcycle magazines that I still receive of the few that continue to exist.

More than one comparison gives the Himalayan the nod for riders interested in serious off-road duty. 

An interesting take offered in my recent Rider mag's shoot-out with the BMW 310GS and the Kawasaki-whatever says "the Himalayan makes the others look like toys."  lol  I guess all that brightly-colored foo foo plastic doesn't compare well with the rugged basic outfitting of the Himalayan.

Royal Enfield doesn't have the best reputation for reliability.  But, this is a "new" motor and many other things are offered on the bike.  Price is like $4500 MSRP.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:41:29 PM by leafman60 »

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:59:50 PM »
RE the Himalyan:  This is yet another entry into the small adv motorcycle market.  It is simple, heavy, and probably over built (which means damn hard to kill).  The dealer network is slim and reliability is yet to be known.  With that said, the price is going to bring a lot of people to at least consider getting one.  There is no perfect motorcycle.  I think that the CSC RX3 gives more bang for the buck but then I'm biased.  It looks like this (sub 500 cc adv bike) is the only segment of the new motorcycle market that is growing so I expect to see more entries in the near future.  CSC is already talking about a 450 single adv bike.  Bring it on!

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:41:58 PM »

you can get a good hardly used DR650 for that kind of money..just sayin..
I paid $3200 for mine w/3k miles..Corbin, rack, bash plate etc..

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:44:08 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 11:01:36 PM »
 :huh:

I understand the  Himalyan has a 4 gal fuel tank and 70+ mpg .   I do like the DR650's  wide Gearing but how fast is a dual sport going to be run ?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:03:30 PM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 11:01:36 PM »

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 05:21:51 AM »
enfield used to suffer from pretty bad build quality
but under new management they improved their game , up to a point where a friend did 100.000 km on his, with just regular maintennance.
something absolutely unheard of with the old iron barrel engine.
even those were pretty reliable , if properly put together, ( in the nineties i used to run one as daily transport)

with the current generation of enfields  i wouldnt hesitate to take one on travel.
not sure chrome and paint quality is up to japanese standards, but at least they are well put together nowadays..

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 06:46:14 AM »

I understand the  Himalyan has a 4 gal fuel tank and 70+ mpg .   I do like the DR650's  wide Gearing but how fast is a dual sport going to be run ?
mine can run freeway speeds all day.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline blakestree

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 08:28:52 AM »
Why does it have two front fenders?  :shocked:
2014 V7 Special

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 09:41:09 AM »
Foto

You got one already ?   :huh:    mine can run freeway speeds all day.

If you could "Red-Line" high gear how fast would it be running.?

The Dealer in Nashville ain't got them yet , but I like the way they look and it seems like 400cc is big enough for one cylinder ... I've got a 652 Suzuki and like it except at low speeds it can be brutal .   

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

twowings

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 11:40:42 AM »
This will be my bike when I'm too feeble to hold the Norge upright... :cool:

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 03:46:32 PM »
I asked an Indian friend who only just recently completed a two-week tour of Nepal, on his Royal Enfield Bullet. Here's his reply. (To, "Did any of your party ride these?")

Yeah Eric, a lot of them. I was mighty impressed by the off-roading capability and also the performance in general (enough to go and check the price and availability in the showroom today).

Dunno about the price comparisons between here and there, or availability of used Kawas. <shrug> FWIW.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 03:51:13 PM »
  The dealer network is slim
Peter Y.

I think most of us here have learnt to live with that one Peter. :evil: :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 04:27:19 PM »
Foto

You got one already ?   :huh:    mine can run freeway speeds all day.

If you could "Red-Line" high gear how fast would it be running.?

The Dealer in Nashville ain't got them yet , but I like the way they look and it seems like 400cc is big enough for one cylinder ... I've got a 652 Suzuki and like it except at low speeds it can be brutal .
no, I meant my DR, I have no desire to own a RE..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 07:01:17 PM »
 I like the Himalayan, and I hope it sells well, but yes compared to a used DR650 or even my 88 XT350 it just doesn't compare. But I wouldn't mind having one.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 07:28:58 PM »
Why does it have two front fenders?  :shocked:

When the 1st one vibrates off you have a backup. Actually my C5 would do 70 indicated and still be pretty vibration free.

I hade a 2012 RE C5 bullet and it was a pleasant little bike. I would not buy anything pre UCE and I would never pay more than about 1/2 of MSRP for a new bike. If you think Guzzi's are tough on the secondary try selling and Enfield.

The 500cc Bullet was no powerhouse and I'm betting the 410 in the Himalayan is a bit of a dog
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »
24.5 Indian horses—- but they are twice the size of American horses😃😁😂😢😂

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 04:05:35 AM »
I think they look great.  It's like a half price Bonneville Scrambler....with half the horsepower and questionable reliability.  It has roughly the same power to weight ratio as a Suzuki VanVan or Yamaha TW200.  The Himalayan is 400lbs and has 24hp.  If I was going to buy a 25hp dual sport it would be the Honda 250 Rally or Kawasaki KLX 250.  Both are almost hundred pounds lighter and they're bulletproof.  For most riders who want to actually go someplace, fotoguzzi's suggestion makes a lot more sense.  A secondhand DR650 or DRZ400S can be fully outfitted to tour with an upgraded seat, larger tank, skidplate and soft bags for less than the Himalayan.  They'd outperform the Enfield in every measurable way.  I think the Enfield appeals to a lot of the same people that buy Ural's; mechanical masochists who don't mind having to rent a Uhaul trailer occasionally to get their bike home.  I prefer my adventure's to be free from reliability concerns.       

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 06:55:13 AM »
I think the Enfield appeals to a lot of the same people that buy Ural's; mechanical masochists who don't mind having to rent a Uhaul trailer occasionally to get their bike home.  I prefer my adventure's to be free from reliability concerns.       

i suppose i am one of the masochists, owning guzzi's , ducati's , and ... wait for it..... a enfield.
despite owning a nineties iron barrel enfield , and using it for 70.000 km as a daily transport , i never needed a trailer.
so i am in a pretty good position to comment.

but basically , it comes down to choices , if you really want to get anywhere , have zero reliability issues, just get a plane/bus ticket.
if you want to be involved into your travels , get a airconditioned toyota.
you might even consider a bike.
if you do so , make sure to get a BMG 1200 GS, they are supposed to be reliable ( probably why i never owned one)  :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

i have heard people actually riding smaller , completely unsuitable bikes? who knows...

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 07:05:10 AM »
I've put miles on a Suzuki DR650, DR350 and KLR650.

I've never ridden a Himalayan or any other Indian RE.

My bet is that the visceral riding character of the Himalayan is dramatically different from the Japanese bikes that really never inspired me very much.

Yes, I've heard terrible stories of reliability problems out of the RE's.  Although I appreciate charisma and visceral appeal, if the thing breaks down too often it's not something I'd want to have.  Same can be said about other brands that we all know very well....
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:05:53 AM by leafman60 »

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 10:32:51 AM »
i suppose i am one of the masochists, owning guzzi's , ducati's , and ... wait for it..... a enfield.
despite owning a nineties iron barrel enfield , and using it for 70.000 km as a daily transport , i never needed a trailer.
so i am in a pretty good position to comment.

but basically , it comes down to choices , if you really want to get anywhere , have zero reliability issues, just get a plane/bus ticket.
if you want to be involved into your travels , get a airconditioned toyota.
you might even consider a bike.
if you do so , make sure to get a BMG 1200 GS, they are supposed to be reliable ( probably why i never owned one)  :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

i have heard people actually riding smaller , completely unsuitable bikes? who knows...

I get plenty of visceral enjoyment riding my daughter's 1975 CT90 places that I shouldn't.  You can't get much more involved.
 If you GAVE me a GS1200 I'd immediately sell it to a stock broker in NYC with a high viz twat suit(copywright Pete Roper) and use the money to buy about 5 other motorcycles.  None of which would be a Himalayan.  Different strokes for different folks.   

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 01:44:59 PM »
I really like some of these unusual bikes that not everyone has,  as being a little different is
Ok by me. The only issue with these bikes, which can include our beloved Guzzis, is that a breakdown in some parts of the country can be a real challenge, especially for the weak mechanical inclined as myself.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 03:07:24 PM »
I like the Himalyan, too, in theory -- a dead-simple thumper with a comfortable saddle and enough suspension travel to be practical on a dirt road. It is a lot heavier than the Japanese 250s that will do the same job. But it looks like it would fit in with my long-term plan to downsize.

Then I realized I already have that bike -- my F650 thumper. It's lighter than the Himalyan with a bigger tank for better range and similar suspension.  No one has complained about the (Aprilia) build quality. And it's a 650. With carbs (two).

The only place the Himalyan beats the F650 is in ease of valve adjustment -- but the BMW service interval is 20,000 miles.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline SeanF

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 03:17:52 PM »
According to the spreadsheets:

DR650/KLR650 > RE Himalayan
Ducati Scrambler > Modern Guzzi v7
Almost any of the big trailies > Guzzi Stelvio

But I think most here would agree with the expression, "you don't ride a spreadsheet".

Personally I have 2 Guzzis, 1 DR 650 (currently in supermoto trim), and would totally add a Himalayan to the mix, garage space permitting.

Offline Githianki

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 06:08:11 PM »
Called the closest dealer to me in CT.  The bike ticks off some wants for me so I wanted to check it out.  He pre-sold his first 5 and didn't expect any available again till mid July.  So they must be doing something right.
If you can beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

canuck750

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 06:21:23 PM »

Well my KLR650 runs at 70 mph all day, I just road it back from Phoenix AZ to Edmonton AB, Canada, about 2400miles in 5 days, and it gets 280 miles to a tank of gas.

I think the new RE is underpowered compared to a DR650 or KLR 650 plus both the DR and KLR have been around for a very long time, super reliable, well supported aftermarket parts and accessories, cheap to run. DR makes 43.5 hp and the KLR is rated at 42 hp.

The DR 650 is a lot lighter than a KLR, 357 wet compared to 432 wet for a KLR, and the DR has a longer suspension front and back 10.2/10.2 compared to 7.9/7.3 for the KLR, the KLR has a bigger fuel tank and has a lot more aftermarket support. The DR is more off road orientated while the KLR is a paved road / gravel road bike. A good used low mile DR or KLR can be had for $4K or less.

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 09:45:21 PM »
I test rode a Himalayan a couple weeks ago and was impressed with the bike overall. Relatively smooth, good handling  and had enough power for what it is. Nice bike for the $$

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 09:25:31 AM »
 Johninvt,  How can you compare a Himalayan to a Van Van?  Do you own a Van Van?
 I do, and it is a very dependable ride with fuel injection, oil cooler, and 5x20 chain, and a sidecar.
 S'not fast but neither am I anymore.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 05:35:24 PM »
RE the Himalyan:  This is yet another entry into the small adv motorcycle market.  It is simple, heavy, and probably over built (which means damn hard to kill).  The dealer network is slim and reliability is yet to be known.  With that said, the price is going to bring a lot of people to at least consider getting one.  There is no perfect motorcycle.  I think that the CSC RX3 gives more bang for the buck but then I'm biased.  It looks like this (sub 500 cc adv bike) is the only segment of the new motorcycle market that is growing so I expect to see more entries in the near future.  CSC is already talking about a 450 single adv bike.  Bring it on!

Peter Y.

Got a RE dealer less than 5 miles from me.  Can't say that about Guzzi . . .
Tim

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2018, 12:19:58 AM »
Yamaha needs to do this to their XT series. Again. With electric leg.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2018, 05:10:56 AM »
Johninvt,  How can you compare a Himalayan to a Van Van?  Do you own a Van Van?
 I do, and it is a very dependable ride with fuel injection, oil cooler, and 5x20 chain, and a sidecar.
 S'not fast but neither am I anymore.

I’d much rather have a Van Van or TW200 than a Himalayan.  I was only pointing out they have similar power to weight ratios and are reliable.  I’m thinking about buying a Van Van for my daughter this summer to replace her CT90

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2018, 05:31:18 AM »
Motorcycling ain't about 'what's best' IMHO.
It makes no sense to me making comparisons between the RE and DR's, KLR's etc. If you prefer those, buy one of those.
Personally, the Himalayan doesn't speak to me, but if it did I wouldn't be interested in weighing spec sheets or worrying about which bike was 'better'. Heck, we ride Guzzis - which, by any measurable standard is a wonky decision.

Nick

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here