Author Topic: V50 Monza removing cam’ ‘plate’.  (Read 582 times)

Offline falcone

• Gosling
    • MOTO GUZZI OWNERSHIP - V7 CLASSIC AND BREVA 1100.
V50 Monza removing cam’ ‘plate’.
« on: February 05, 2023, 04:16:08 AM »
Morning all,

Looking to fit an Elektonic Sachse digital ignition system to my Monza.

Has an old Newtronic ignition system and the wiring is frayed, so needs replacing.

I’ve used this system before on bigger Guzzi’s and I’m happy with it.

I’m a limited mechanic and tend only to go up to my limited knowledge.

To fit the Ekektronic Sachse to the V50 Monza will need the cam ‘plate’, weights etc removing and replacing.

Not done this before. The manual is a bit limited, it mentions ‘joint claws of the centrifugal masses in the proper groves (sic) of the cam’ ‘🤭 can guess but it doesn’t make much sense to me. 🙄

Basically, I’ve not tried yet, will it require a puller to take this off? Or will it come off with a little force? Is there anything to watch out for?

Also need to know the cam shaft diameter to be able to order said item (11/12/14 mm). Obviously I can measure once I have access but if anyone knows what the can shaft diameter is for the Monza it would mean I could order!

Many thanks for any replies!

David.
V7 Classic 2008
Falcone Turismo 1955
Aero Merlin Morgan Three Wheeler T3 1000cc Engine.
V50 Monza
Triumph 900 Street Twin.
Honda CD200 Benly.
Royal Enfield Classic Trials.

Offline johnk

• New Egg
Re: V50 Monza removing cam’ ‘plate’.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 08:29:46 AM »
I put one of these on my Monza and am very happy with it. It's rather finicky to install the trigger and get the timing set but other than that I don't recall any issues.
As for your question, the cam plate you mention is the ignition advancer assembly that site directly behind the ignition plate. It's held in plate with that single 6mm bolt in the nose of the cam. Once the bolt is off the advancer assembly should come right out. Sorry but I don't know for sure what diameter the camshaft is.
Best of luck.
johnk
John Koester
2002 V11 Scura, 1982 V50 'Monza', 82 BMW R65LS, 1992 DR350S, 1971 CB350

Offline falcone

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 08:51:38 AM »
Thank you for your response John.

I am in the position of being ready to take the, as you correctly call it, ignition advance assembly. I had given it a little go but didn’t want to pull too hard in case it needed a puller. I’ll give it a proper go now 😂.

I’ve fitted the Sachse item to two of my bigger bikes and as you said it’s a little finicky but works well.

Many thanks,

David.
V7 Classic 2008
Falcone Turismo 1955
V50 Monza
Triumph 900 Street Twin.
Honda CD200 Benly.

Offline falcone

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 09:07:36 AM »
Many thanks John.

Just been out in my garage.

Bit tight but it eventually came off. 👍

Incidentally the camshaft diameter, just measured, is 11mm.

David.
V7 Classic 2008
Falcone Turismo 1955
V50 Monza
Triumph 900 Street Twin.
Honda CD200 Benly.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 09:07:36 AM »

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 11:38:46 PM »
Once you have the plate off, is there also a simple drift pin that acts to locate and drive the advancer"  If that pin isn't needed, then it might be a good idea to pull it out so it doesn't fly away in the future.

The only 'trick' I had with stock Monza ignition (or with Dyna-S) is that the "rotor" which engages the advancer weights can mount easily in TWO different ways.  Only one will work.  The other will have ignition out of sequence by 180 cam degrees.  Might not impact you if replacing the rotor.  Mark the parts before removal just in case.

As to the installation instructions, are these instructions originally in German or Italian?  If so, please retype here in t he original language.  Someone who is a native speaker might join in and accurately translate for you.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 07:51:33 AM »
..... advancer weights can mount easily in TWO different ways.  Only one will work.  The other will have ignition out of sequence by 180 cam degrees.

Been there, done that, what a stupid learning experience it was for me on my CL350.  I took the adv. mech apart to clean & lube, then proceeded to do top end because of failed cam chain tensioner.  Once I got the engine back together, it was a frustrating couple of days before I realized the advance cam was 180 out.  :violent1: 

Art
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 08:01:01 AM »
^^^^ Doh!  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline falcone

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 10:52:56 AM »
Many thanks all for your comments. 👍
V7 Classic 2008
Falcone Turismo 1955
V50 Monza
Triumph 900 Street Twin.
Honda CD200 Benly.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 06:45:01 AM »
Been there, done that, what a stupid learning experience it was for me on my CL350.  I took the adv. mech apart to clean & lube, then proceeded to do top end because of failed cam chain tensioner.  Once I got the engine back together, it was a frustrating couple of days before I realized the advance cam was 180 out.  :violent1: 

Art

I installed the mag cover plate 180 degrees around on my Vincent. Every time I kicked it the front cylinder backfired and ignited the carb. It was terrifying.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here