Author Topic: Annoying rattle  (Read 1909 times)

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
Annoying rattle
« on: July 04, 2016, 09:13:14 PM »
So, I'm getting an annoying rattle up front. It sounds like something loose is rattling around, but I come up empty trying to find it, and believe me, I've been looking. So it dawns on me that the bike, 1984 Call II, has the original timing chain and tensioner. Would that tensioner make such a tinny sounding rattle? It's most noticeable under a low rpm load, seems to go with the speed of the engine, but it's a little hard to say for sure as it's erratic. I've ruled out octane as a cause, as well as my mini alternator I fabbed in last year. Never having this problem on a Guzzi, I have no idea what a lame tensioner sounds like.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
Re: Annoying rattle
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 09:45:43 PM »
Because you say Otis tinny, I'd be checking the exhaust headers to forward engine mount clearances first.
Classic to make contact at a specific RPM range and only when everything is at operating temperature.

Good luck.

Adam
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 06:36:27 AM »
Kickstand springs come to mind, as well as fender.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 06:37:11 AM »
The tensioner might have gone Tango Uniform, leaving too much slack in the chain.  Happened to my Eldo with a similar rattle.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 06:37:11 AM »

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 07:15:03 AM »
The horn grills can rattle too but it sounds like you have a louder rattle.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 07:33:35 AM »
the chain would be hitting inside the case at about 5 o'clock (looking from front).. put a screw driver there and to your ear to hear it.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 07:46:30 AM »
Since you describe it as coming from "up front", and it's not obvious from visual inspection, I would suspect something loose inside the headlight housing.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 07:55:05 AM »
Since you describe it as coming from "up front", and it's not obvious from visual inspection, I would suspect something loose inside the headlight housing.
Good one!
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 08:03:38 AM »
I had a rattle like that which sounded like it was coming from the front of the engine, but turned out to be the license plate buzzing against the big euro-sized mount at only  a certain rpm. 
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 08:35:02 AM »
I actually thought it might be the horn grill, so I stuck some RTV in there to mute that. It wasn't. Headlight is aftermarket, and I don't think anything in there can rattle, but that would be nice to find when I check it. Front fender area checks out. I'm not used to hearing anything up there, so it's really bugging me, as little things tend to lead to bigger things, and Elkader is this weekend.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 10:46:57 AM »
I actually thought it might be the horn grill, so I stuck some RTV in there to mute that. It wasn't. Headlight is aftermarket, and I don't think anything in there can rattle, but that would be nice to find when I check it. Front fender area checks out. I'm not used to hearing anything up there, so it's really bugging me, as little things tend to lead to bigger things, and Elkader is this weekend.

Agreed, but the worst thing I can think of in your situation is a loose timing chain, and it will happily grind on the case for thousands of miles without failure. All the others are just an annoyance. Take candy to throw to the kids in the parade.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 11:32:22 AM »
Agreed, but the worst thing I can think of in your situation is a loose timing chain, and it will happily grind on the case for thousands of miles without failure. All the others are just an annoyance. Take candy to throw to the kids in the parade.  :smiley:

It's only just started this little annoyance, so I'm glad to hear it's not likely to explode real soon. I'm hoping my dealer will have a chain and tensioner in stock as it looks like an easy fix anyway.

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 11:50:04 AM »
HAH !!  I found it. No loose bolts, but the fender was rattling against the chrome rear rail on the lower left side. I found it by tapping on it. I stuck a piece of rubber in there to test and all's well. Weird it never did it before and nothing's out of place. I can tweak the fender in where it passes the rail, I guess. Thanks for the ideas, John A gets the biggest kudo today!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here