Author Topic: Hooking up sidecar brake on Tonti  (Read 521 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Hooking up sidecar brake on Tonti
« on: November 27, 2022, 11:23:57 AM »
hello Folks, I will shortly be hooking up a DMC M-72 sidecar on my 98 V 11 EV. The DMC has a Brembo disc brake on the sidecar wheel,and a long brake line with a banjo type fitting on the bike end. My question, is with the Guzzis linked brake system what is the best way to go about this, as in where to tap into the brake system for the sidecar brake?  Would it be better to de link the linked system, or leave it as is? Im sure with as many sidecars that have been added to EV's, other have dealt with this before.
any tips, and suggestions from the group, much appreciated.
Rick Duarte
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Hooking up sidecar brake on Tonti
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 12:49:10 PM »
I would think you need a larger master cylinder . Sorry but i don't have more than that.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 01:35:41 PM »
I read a sidecar book from the 1920’s that suggested having the sidecar brake separate from the mc brake. They said that the sidecar brake did not add a great deal of braking to the total braking performance. It was much more useful if it could be used by itself. So that’s what I did on my Bassa. I used the top clamp cut off of a bar riser and mounted a stub on the handle bar with a lever clamped to it. The lever is above the clutch lever. From the lever I ran a cable to a master cylinder on the sidecar frame. I used a  master, rear wheel and brake from a T3. It didn’t take long to get used to it and it is wonderful for maneuvering. Right turns are great after some practice. On the highway if I want to ease a little to the right I just brake the car wheel and the whole rig just easily moves right while staying straight. The only drawback is it’s harder on the car tire if I am too aggressive having fun with it for it will skid if you unload the car wheel with too much brake applied . I’ll post a pic later. I did de link the mc brakes later on but it wasn’t necessary
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 02:49:22 PM »
Hook it up to your hand brake.  Longer banjo fitting or another m/c on either left or right handle bar.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 02:51:24 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 02:49:22 PM »

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 07:04:49 PM »

Pics not so good but ok, you get the idea. It does work well and I miss it on other rigs. It’s more suited for sporting
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 07:09:11 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Tim Henry

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 07:17:14 PM »
I set up my wifes harley  california side car  by connecting it to front master it stopped straight as an arrow . I never bothered hooking uo the brake to my velorex on my 07 triumoh bonnie and i lived in the hill island of St Croix vi with no issues hauling a family of 4 at the time the kids got alittle bigger in this photo

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 03:44:40 AM »
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Thats a neat way to hook it up, John. I like the idea of using the sidecar brake as a turning aid. I would have never thought of hooking things up that way....Brilliant!! :thumb:
Rick D.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 01:01:30 PM »
There's a guy out here that has his clutch and front brake on the left handlebar.  Nice set-up.  He lost use of his right arm from an accident. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Karkaliev

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 06:03:33 PM »
I have a 98 with sidecar and the sidecar brakes are connected to the rear brake cylinder. That’s how I got it

Offline Ted N

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 07:37:57 PM »
You have the brake so I am sure that you would like it to operate but  I have not found the need for a sidecar brake in the last 35,000 miles,  just 1 more thing to get accustomed to in my opinion.
1996 Cali 1100C/hacked
1998 V11 EV

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 01:58:57 PM »
I think I may be able to hook it up on the top of the rear master cylinder. There is a banjo there, and I think there may be enough room to stack the one from the sidecar there.
Rick.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here