Author Topic: V7-II in showrooms in Oz.  (Read 19271 times)

Vasco DG

V7-II in showrooms in Oz.
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:32:40 PM »
Mentioned in another thread but the V7-II's have arrived here, apart from the Racer.

Stones are 14K

Pete

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7-II in showrooms in Oz.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:14:29 PM »
U.S. $14k? whoa!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Vasco DG

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:46:29 PM »
U.S. $14k? whoa!!

Nah, 14K AU. While our prices are high compared to yours the $AU is currently in the terlet at about 79cUS

Pete

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:58:57 PM »

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 06:14:39 AM »
Now that the V7II's are in Oz, maybe someone will post a pdf of the English version of the owner's manual.  Someone kindly posted a Dutch/German version here a couple of months ago, but, for me, an English version would be easier to read.  Grazie.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

SilentKilla

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:06:11 AM »
Putting down a deposit tomorrow on a V7 II Stone in 'Nero Ruvido'.  ;)

I will formalise myself a bit more once i get it, but this is the first post for me.

Im in Perth, WA.

Hard to describe the anticipation but its killing me  :'(

Bill Havins

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 08:19:48 AM »

....Hard to describe the anticipation but its killing me....

Yep.  You have "the infection."  There's no cure.  Get's worse as you get older.   ;)

Welcome to the forum!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 08:21:35 AM »
Putting down a deposit tomorrow on a V7 II Stone in 'Nero Ruvido'.  ;)

I will formalise myself a bit more once i get it, but this is the first post for me.

Im in Perth, WA.

Hard to describe the anticipation but its killing me  :'(

Huzzah! And the winner is....  ;-T

Can't wait to hear the report.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 08:38:09 AM »
Can't wait to hear the report.

:+1 :pop
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

SilentKilla

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 08:01:16 PM »
It's official, deposit down and its on the way from Sydney to Perth.

I'll try to be as detailed as i can in the review when it goes up. I'm moving from a KLX250S to the V7 II Stone, so that's a fair difference right there.

The KLX was one of those idea's we get that sounds and feels great at the time, but never eventuates (off road adventuring). I was setting it up as a light weight adventure bike, but i mostly use it for commuting rain, hail or shine. I even ordered a 351cc kit from Bill Blue in the US and built the motor myself, it's currently about 22,000km's into that and going fine.

I love cruising along and the ABS combined with the classic looks, shaft and fuel range made the V7 II the only choice for me. I'm not looking for a rocket ship either, let alone something that feels like it was popped out of a template en masse.

More to come,

Chris.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 08:44:13 PM »
Well done!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

SilentKilla

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
I'm keen on a set of Stucchi crash bars, but im not sure if it suits the V7 II or will hit the heads with the new angle. Might have to wait until they release the new version unfortunately. Same goes for the Agostini mufflers, need to wait  :-[
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:31:41 PM by SilentKilla »

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 10:48:29 PM »
Well, I didn't remember a Perth in WA (the state in US) but there is a Perth in Western Australia.  I'm getting provincial in my abbreviations I guess.  Hope you enjoy your new ride and pictures are anticipated by us Northern Hemisphere types reveling in 4 feet of snow. ;D ;D

Offline Jim C

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 12:50:46 AM »
Nah, 14K AU. While our prices are high compared to yours the $AU is currently
in the terlet at about 79cUS

Yeah, but sheesh, even at that rate, it's still almost $11,000 US. I can get a Honda
CB1100F for that (and a myriad of other bikes as well.) I certainly hope it doesn't
come in at that price here in the US.

Jim
2016 Red V7 II Stone

SilentKilla

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 01:01:25 AM »
Considering a HD 883 is $12k USD in Australia, but you guys are paying $8.4k USD perhaps that will explain something. In Australia we have a saying "Straya Tax", we pay more for everything pretty much... because "Straya Mate!". In fact people have been known to fly to the US and buy a bike, ride it for their holiday and put it on a ship before getting on the plane for the trip home. They STILL come out in front a far as the price is concerned.

Also i updated my profile to make things a little clearer.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:06:12 AM by SilentKilla »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
Yeah, but sheesh, even at that rate, it's still almost $11,000 US. I can get a Honda
CB1100F for that (and a myriad of other bikes as well.) I certainly hope it doesn't
come in at that price here in the US.

Jim

Market prices are determined by more than simple exchange rates.

The USA market is traditionally both fickle and competitive.

So, it's one of the lowest priced markets for motorcycles in the world.

I would imagine that if the V7-II MSRP is higher than the V7-I in The USA, it will be incremental. 

Currently, motoguzzi-us.com lists the V7 Stone at $8490.  If the V7-II Stone lists for as much as $8890, I'll be surprised.

Sportster Superlow and Iron are about $8300 here.  Triumph Bonnevilles start at $8099.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 10:42:46 AM »
Over the past years there have been "incremental" price increases on the V7 I to better position V7 pricing when the new model is introduced. Expect another "incremental" increase with the V7 II. It's called cost creep!  ::)

There're many great motorcycle available today at or below the price point of the V7.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:44:45 AM by roadscum »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Offline ibis1

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 10:47:02 AM »
Well, I didn't remember a Perth in WA (the state in US) but there is a Perth in Western Australia.  I'm getting provincial in my abbreviations I guess.  Hope you enjoy your new ride and pictures are anticipated by us Northern Hemisphere types reveling in 4 feet of snow. ;D ;D

That's funny, we have not had an inch of snow all year! :BEER:
2010 California Vintage (Gone)
1971 750 Ambassador (Gone)
2014 California Touring

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: V7-II in showrooms in Oz.
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 12:09:09 PM »

There're many great motorcycle available today at or below the price point of the V7.

Past the 883, Bonnie, and maybe new Duc Scrambler, I'd be hard pressed to think of one I care about.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

SilentKilla

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 10:15:26 PM »
I suppose i should ask prior. Is there anything anyone would like pictures and or information on specifically?

The dealer picked up the bike this morning, im going there after work to sign the papers. Not sure on specific time i can take it, i guess they will need to prep it for a while.

*Edit*
Here she is! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzo6Ike0oeHWT2VTeWd5T3FUeHc/view

Pickup is Saturday, it's ready!
*Edit*
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:16:27 PM by SilentKilla »

Vasco DG

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 04:41:23 AM »
Nah, just some sort of report. Have you owned a smallblock before? That will help if we are making comparisons. Other than that I guess we'd just like to know what you think. I haven't had the chance to ride one yet and I always find the attitude at the importer a bit odd. On the one hand the smallblock is their best seller but at the same time there is a sort of sneering contempt for it because it isn't a fire breathing monster, (But they love the 1200 Capponord which I think is a huge, stinking turd!)

Anybody who has been here for more than a few years will know that I have a deep cynicism about the earlier smallblocks. Quite simply they weren't as reliable or, to my mind, enjoyable, as the big blocks.

I'm more than happy to fall on my sword on this but with the caveat that you accept the smallblock, even in its current, much improved form, is what it is.

Continually saying 'It would be a great bike if they could just get 70HP out of it' is stupid. Sorry, it's not just stupid, it's moronic. It can't be done, and before somebody pipes up and says "Oh yes you could! You could turbo/supercharge it and sprinkle it with wonder dust and stuff"? No, you couldn't.

It is what it is which is a heron head pushrod motor of modest capacity built down to a price. This isn't a bad thing but it IS a limiting thing. Get over it. If you want more *Power*? Buy another bloody motorbike!

I have a mate in Queensland who is currently tossing up between a Sport 1200-8V and a V7-II Stone. We are planning a round Oz trip together in the next couple of years before we get too decrepit. I'd prefer to do it on the Griso but if he opts for the V7 we'll still go but I'll take the Mana because the two bikes are much more compatible for a road trip of this sort of magnitude. Both the Sport 1200 and the V7-II are capable of such a trip and lots of fun will be had by us on the way but what will govern his choice is simply what he, a long term Guzzista and sidecar freak, feels he's happier with. Whichever way he goes, 100HP or 40? I'll be happy.

(Mana makes, at a guess, low to mid fifties HP. I've toured the USA on my GT and the whole eastern seaboard of Oz two up on one of these 'Underpowered bits of crap'. It's not the destination, it's the trip that's important.)

Pete

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 06:34:06 AM »
I'd like to hear all about it, anything and everything you want to report.  I've put several miles on a buddy's KLX351, so I know where you're coming from.  Congrats and enjoy!

Sarah

Edit:  Here's a bit from M/C.com:

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2015/03/03/manufacturers/moto-guzzi/moto-guzzi-v7-ii-series-gets-carb-approval-2016-model-year/?utm_source=recommended&utm_medium=display

I suppose i should ask prior. Is there anything anyone would like pictures and or information on specifically?

The dealer picked up the bike this morning, im going there after work to sign the papers. Not sure on specific time i can take it, i guess they will need to prep it for a while.

*Edit*
Here she is! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzo6Ike0oeHWT2VTeWd5T3FUeHc/view

Pickup is most likely Saturday
*Edit*
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:36:43 AM by greer »
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

SilentKilla

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 02:31:41 AM »
Hey All,

I went for a good ride down the coast today after picking up the bike. Just a couple more pics up on my google drive, taken with a gopro on my chest.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bzo6Ike0oeHWfk1WMTBrd29ZeFdVdVZGa28wSzgxQy1wV18zUmwwNlc2LXJlcFRSdW5FeEU&usp=sharing

The video's are a tiny bit bumpy and have a fair bit of wind noise, i need to get myself a camera for the helmet.

Onto the bike itself  8)

I arrived at the dealership this morning to find my new bike front row center as i walk in the door, waiting for me with a full tank of petrol. The excitement and nervous feeling i had was similar to those leading up to my big bike license, not knowing what to expect. And to be honest i have only ridden three bikes ever, and i didn't much care for the Honda NC700X i learned on.

After we had finished having a chat with the manager of the dealership he wheeled it out the front for me, and fired it up. I must admit i'm not used to trying to balance my sunglasses and gloves on a v-twin seat. I had already planned to go for a coast run on the bike the day before, just to let the tyres settle in. Not really a huge issue as today was 32c/88f outside, but i dont want to end up like this guy either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4

My first impressions on the bike and its features were that the clutch lever was nice, not too hard and a bit easier than the previous model i squeezed at the dealer. The clutch picked up nice and early in the lever release which is just the way i like it, i don't like to half let the lever out before things start happening as it makes life harder than it needs to be if you're doing u-turns etc (left side of the road for Aus). I cant compare against the older 5 speed either, but the gear change is short and smooth as can be. There is none of this LONG travel i was hearing around in reviews of the previous model, but again i haven't ridden one of them. When at the lights doing the occasional neutral waiting with a foot on the rear brake, i occasionally noticed feedback when going into first again but that could just be because i need more time and so does the transmission. It was nothing more then as if someone had given you a soft poke with a finger. Again i partly blame any of that on me being new to the bike, and the gearbox being brand new as it barely ever happened. The six speed itself i didn't notice any real gaps in the range between the gears, it just felt slick and smooth as a luxury car with again the short shift of the foot to change between them. I love the mechanical noise of the diff and shaft, much better than the sound a chain can make. As shaft is new to me you do notice a slight lift from the back if you don't let the gear engage upon release of the clutch but thats not the bikes fault and i was soon all over it.

The throttle itself seems very responsive with a nice easy engagement in the low range of movement as you get on it. No jerkiness or other issues to report on that. The seating position is more forward than the KLX250S but i found myself settling into a comfort slump, just had to straighten up a touch and keep remembering it like any other day sitting down. The controls are normal attire to me, only the button to flash your high beam quickly and holding down the starter to turn off traction control are new to me. I'm not used to normal dials, i've been using digital until now so ill have to get used to that. The brakes are new so its not really fair to report on them yet, other than to say they were doing the job i expect (report back on that later if i remember). The turning itself once i got used to it is great, again so far ahead of a NC700X im glad. I guess its just more of a sport bike thing? to lean itself into a corner, but the NC700X would pull itself into a corner, coming from the KLX (140kg) i wasn't used to that and having to push against it. There is none of that on the V7 but i'm far from done getting used to the steering of a new bike, i've been riding the KLX for near on 4 years. Once my confidence on the new bike and "big bike" class has some time to mature, im sure the V7 is going to steer and handle fantastically in my amature hands.

Onto the motor, my first "big bike" and small block! I wasn't sure what to expect from the engine itself and sitting/idling at lights and such, and was dreading on buying a HD equivalent bike (i dont need an Parkinson's simulator, sorry for those if offence is taken). Engine movement on the bike is very minimal in terms of shaking, only a stab of the throttle will get the bike to shift as the bike comes to life while at idle. While riding about i didn't notice the tug from the motor to the right, perhaps slightly on a corner or two i did. I cant report on the headlight itself yes, as i haven't ridden it at night yet. I also haven't tested the ABS, didn't really feel like that on the maiden voyage if you know what i mean. One thing i know, i want to get myself a set of Agostini pipes shortly... i need to let that sound OUT! The suspension felt fine to me, as well as the seat. I got a bit uncomfortable at the end of my ride but i always have, perhaps an air hawk if i do a really long ride is a good idea in general. I think for those that say the engine isn't powerful enough, you weren't looking at the right bike to begin with. I heard others say it and i partly understood it then, and completely understand the statement now. It's got enough for me thats for sure, i dont need a rocket ship. The suspension rides fine, nothing uncomfortable for me but time will tell. I might grab a pic of the rear shock tonight as its possible they changed the model.

I'll put some more feedback into this post when i get time tonight, gotta go walk my Staffy 'Lexi'.

I know its a bit all over the place, but its coming to me as above when thinking about the bike.

Cheers, Chris.

P.S. I'm Hooked so bad..
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 07:07:51 AM by SilentKilla »

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 05:31:51 AM »
Wow Chris, that bike sounds so nice!  Thanks for taking the time to report back and please keep us posted as you add on the miles.  Congratulations, ride safe and enjoy that bike!

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 07:10:00 AM »
I think that was a great write-up!  Congratulations on your new Guzzi.  With all the snow here we are a little cranky but we'll get over it.  Living vicariously through you  ;-T

56Pan

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 10:18:20 AM »
Enjoyed reading your report and thanks for taking the time to post it.  I couldn't get a full tank of gas out of the dealer that sold me my NOS '12 Norge.  Thought that was kind of low class.  I remember a term for him from when I worked with the Brits every day: "a right f$%ckin' wanker, he was".

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2015, 10:43:32 AM »
Nice report, and well done!

FYI, and I don't know why, but my Norge silencer is now louder than it was initially, and so is my wife's Bonneville silencer. Give it a few tanks of petrol and see if your silencer doesn't sound better!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline coastdude

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 01:54:36 PM »
Hi Chris, congratulations on the new bike, nice report. I'm on the east coast of Oz and have just picked up the V7II special (photo in gallery). My wife was getting sick of having to pick me and my old ducati up with a trailer and bought the guzzi for me as a present. You're right about the crash bars, the 2015 V7s need a specific model to fit the new motor arrangement. Motociclo have ordered me some Agostini bars. Any bits that go on the rear of the bike such as rack are apparently the same as the old ones. I've done 500km so far in a week and am loving it. If you opt for new pipes check out those made by Pipemaster in QLD, they were on the demo I rode and deliver a good note. I've gotten used to the standard ones for the moment and am investing in stuff to increase my range such as H&B Nevada saddle bags on C bow mounts. Might meet you on the Nullarbor one day? Andy
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:43:11 PM by coastdude »
Don't try to eat anything larger than your head
2015 V7II Special
1982 Ducati 600 Pantah

Offline Mgv7rider

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 09:08:52 PM »
CONGRATS on the new bike...from one v7 stone rider and a Chris to another. I can remember the same feeling I had in 2013 picking up my bike from the dealer! It's priceless! Great review on the bike... You are going to love it! Have fun making the bike your own by customizing it!

Cheers and safe riding!

Chris
Current rides:
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone (matte black)
1980 Vespa P200e

Past rides:
2004 Yamaha YZF 600R (sold)
1996 Yamaha vStar 650 (sold)

SilentKilla

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 01:49:08 AM »
Hey Chris,

Yeah i've got a set of CRG 2" lanesplit mirrors in mind so far. As much as i appreciate my wide shoulders i also like to see whats happening behind me too.

http://www.constructorsrg.com/mirrors/ls.html

These ones, in black with Rhino Moto bar ends.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here