Author Topic: Grinding Valve Shims - Opinions?  (Read 17242 times)

dilligaf

Re: Grinding Valve Shims - Opinions?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 09:21:03 PM »
When we went to school when the BMW K bikes came out it was pointed out that the shims for the Kawasaki would interchange.  We were instructed not to use Kawasaki shims because they were not as hard as BMW shims.  When I got back to Charleston and having access to a lab we tested the hardness of the shims.  Just the other way around.  The BMW shims were not as hard as the Kawasaki.  BMW's held a tune much better than the Kawasaki.  I don't think the shim had anything to do with it but could be. That was many years ago.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2015, 09:24:42 PM »
This whole thread makes me like Guzzis more.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2015, 09:30:18 PM »
;D Folks may well look back and wonder how/where the new self-love euphemism "Sanding the ol' Shim" got started.  Right here on Wildguzzi they'll say. 

Oh hell , gotta clean my computer screen  :D

Dusty

bpreynolds

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2015, 09:52:51 PM »

Dusty

:BEER:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2015, 09:52:51 PM »

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 11:18:15 PM »

Dusty

Me, too, Dusty.  Brian is mighty fast with a comeback.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

bpreynolds

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 06:29:19 AM »
Me, too, Dusty.  Brian is mighty fast with a comeback.

Ralph

Sandin' Me Ol' Shim does have a bit of an Irish jig to it. 

Back to the topic at hand, I put in the grinded shim only to find that it, and a couple others I did not gauge well enough and even the swapped and replaced shims will need to come further down as they are still too tight.  Even beyond that I can't seem to get the timing marks on the cams to stay in place when I tighten/install the cam guides, let alone when I install the cam chain.  Some days  ???  If I ever get this thing running again or at least before the end of Spring, it may indeed be more luck than skill.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 11:16:27 PM »
This is why I own two hydro Stones.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2017 Honda CB-500F

oldbike54

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 11:23:39 PM »
 Bipper , are you practicing safe shim sanding ? Dang , say those last three words fast 3 times  ;D

Dusty

Offline Dick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2015, 03:48:50 AM »
    . Triumph makes a jig that bolts to the head that compresses the valve spring, eliminating the need to remove the cam. Just install the jig and pick the shim out with a magnet.

That's kinda the procedure Yamaha used with their XS Eleven and other models, except, IIRC, the tool was to hold the valve/bucket open after the cam did the opening.The tool wasn't used to open the valve. Pretty straight forward, a bit more time consuming than rocker screw adjustment, but less than shim under bucket.

bpreynolds

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2015, 08:05:47 AM »
This is why I own two hydro Stones.

Ralph

I only own one, but uhm, let me ask.  What was the brand you often rode when professionally racing?  I think I've made my point here.  ;)

Bipper , are you practicing safe shim sanding ? Dang , say those last three words fast 3 times  ;D

Dusty

Dusty, I have been Sanding Me Ol' Shim for years now.  I think/hope I know what I'm doing by now.  I wish my wonderful wife would help more but alas, she's a fickle mechanic and certainly works on her own time indeed.

That's kinda the procedure Yamaha used with their XS Eleven and other models, except, IIRC, the tool was to hold the valve/bucket open after the cam did the opening.The tool wasn't used to open the valve. Pretty straight forward, a bit more time consuming than rocker screw adjustment, but less than shim under bucket.

I have the tool as well but if you're going to remove more than 2 or 3 shims then supposedly it's easier just to remove the cams - or so the Triumph board members say.  In theory this is certainly correct; yet, here I sit with my cam/timing/chain reinstall challenges so I'm testing that theory for sure.  It would help if I was as intuitive in the garage as I am in the kitchen.  Or when Sanding Me Ol' Shim.  I am not. 

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 02:22:21 PM »
I only own one, but uhm, let me ask.  What was the brand you often rode when professionally racing?  I think I've made my point here.  ;)

[snip]

I'm missing your point completely.   ???

bpreynolds

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 03:00:02 PM »
I'm missing your point completely.   ???

RK, I'm just attempting to poke Ralph a bit as he used to race on Triumphs if my memory serves me correct.  He has some awesome pictures to prove it. 

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 04:27:54 PM »
OK -- inside joke.  I get that.   :)

I thought my train of thought had jumped the rails . .  .

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 11:45:10 PM »
RK, I'm just attempting to poke Ralph a bit as he used to race on Triumphs if my memory serves me correct.  He has some awesome pictures to prove it. 

I rode two Velocette 500 singles from 1961-64 and then the Triumph people offered me a lot of help if I would ride a Triumph.  "Oh, Wooden Eye, wooden eye!".  The Triumph 500 was much faster, more reliable by far and propelled me to an Expert license with several flat track wins and two Daytona 200 finishes in 1967 and 68.  I rue the day that I sold that Triumph 500 vertical twin after a second long stay in hospital rendered me unfit (physically and emotionally) from returning to the fray.  To this day, almost 50 years later, I cannot sit in the stands and watch a professional flat track race.  I miss being out there.  My leathers still fit, too.  Damn.  Hey, Dusty, wanna be my traveling mechanic???

Ralph
Ralph

2017 Honda CB-500F

oldbike54

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 11:53:44 PM »
I rode two Velocette 500 singles from 1961-64 and then the Triumph people offered me a lot of help if I would ride a Triumph.  "Oh, Wooden Eye, wooden eye!".  The Triumph 500 was much faster, more reliable by far and propelled me to an Expert license with several flat track wins and two Daytona 200 finishes in 1967 and 68.  I rue the day that I sold that Triumph 500 vertical twin after a second long stay in hospital rendered me unfit (physically and emotionally) from returning to the fray.  To this day, almost 50 years later, I cannot sit in the stands and watch a professional flat track race.  I miss being out there.  My leathers still fit, too.  Damn.  Hey, Dusty, wanna be my traveling mechanic???

Ralph

You betcha Ralph  :) Hey , do you remember Bobby Winters from Ft Smith AR ? He raced at Daytona . '68 , wasn't that the year #9 won on that hotrod Triumph based on the GP engine ?

Dusty

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2015, 08:39:18 PM »
You betcha Ralph  :) Hey , do you remember Bobby Winters from Ft Smith AR ? He raced at Daytona . '68 , wasn't that the year #9 won on that hotrod Triumph based on the GP engine ?

Dusty

Bobby Winters was a superb racer, mostly on 250 Yamaha TD-1s, I recall.  Yes, Nixon won on a very nicely put together factory Triumph 500 Twin.  There were a pair made and Dick Hammer #16 rode the other one.  Gary and I rode out of the same shop, but he was a factory rider and deservedly so.  Very intense, take no prisoners sort.  He wired the unusual ignition on my bike which allowed very high rpm without points float.  RIP, Gary.

Ralph
Ralph

2017 Honda CB-500F

oldbike54

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2015, 08:52:59 PM »
Bobby Winters was a superb racer, mostly on 250 Yamaha TD-1s, I recall.  Yes, Nixon won on a very nicely put together factory Triumph 500 Twin.  There were a pair made and Dick Hammer #16 rode the other one.  Gary and I rode out of the same shop, but he was a factory rider and deservedly so.  Very intense, take no prisoners sort.  He wired the unusual ignition on my bike which allowed very high rpm without points float.  RIP, Gary.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph . "Robert" Winters lived in Ft Smith AR when I was there in the late 80s . We became friendly acquaintances . He was working as a photog for
Dunlop , lost a son in a tragic shooting . We tipped a few beers together and talked motorcycle racing . He had met many of the greats in his later career , great guy .

Dusty

bpreynolds

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2015, 06:18:14 AM »
 :+=copcar Mr. US Air/Web Marshall, please arrest these two immediately for attempted threadjacking.  First suspect, krglorioso, known to some as Ralph, avid Guzzisti, a fine mentor, connoisseur of steel cut oats, Sicillian in heritage, likely familial ties to the mafia.  Second, oldbike54, goes by the cool codename of Dusty, chronic emoticon user - never met a smiley face he didn't like or use, makes people laugh, a comedian, keeps the more ridiculous and confrontational threads grounded on the board.  No matter their stories are vastly more interesting than this thread, arrest these two immediately, throw them in the very back, back room of the jailhouse, and send the key down a well that empties somewhere onto the mainland.  It is 1984 and such blatant disregard for authority and the order of things around here will not be tolerated. 

dilligaf

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2015, 07:00:22 AM »
What he said.  The shop I worked for had a Triumph or two at Daytona those years. :BEER:
Matt

oldbike54

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 08:00:59 AM »
:+=copcar Mr. US Air/Web Marshall, please arrest these two immediately for attempted threadjacking.  First suspect, krglorioso, known to some as Ralph, avid Guzzisti, a fine mentor, connoisseur of steel cut oats, Sicillian in heritage, likely familial ties to the mafia.  Second, oldbike54, goes by the cool codename of Dusty, chronic emoticon user - never met a smiley face he didn't like or use, makes people laugh, a comedian, keeps the more ridiculous and confrontational threads grounded on the board.  No matter their stories are vastly more interesting than this thread, arrest these two immediately, throw them in the very back, back room of the jailhouse, and send the key down a well that empties somewhere onto the mainland.  It is 1984 and such blatant disregard for authority and the order of things around here will not be tolerated. 

This from the guy who coined the phrase "Sanding of the old shim"  :o ;D

Dusty

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2015, 11:26:19 PM »
When Dusty and I show up at your door, Brian, you'll think it's the Blues Brothers "on a mission from God" to get you.  A Sicilian and an Okie?  You're toast buddy, toast, I say!  No matter that you have a vicious cur named "Flopsy" to protect you. 

Ralph
Ralph

2017 Honda CB-500F

bpreynolds

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2015, 08:02:49 AM »
When Dusty and I show up at your door, Brian, you'll think it's the Blues Brothers "on a mission from God" to get you.  A Sicilian and an Okie?  You're toast buddy, toast, I say!  No matter that you have a vicious cur named "Flopsy" to protect you. 

Ralph

Don't even think about it, boys.  Remember, I might seem a mild mannered metropolitan librarian but I was born in them thar hills of Appalachia where we thought Deliverance was a how to documentary for dealing with outsiders.  Besides that and three times worse, only these jaws of death await you here. 

What was this thread about, again?  Canines?   ;D  I am off to sand me ol' shim and get a head start on the day. 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here