Author Topic: [Act II] Nekkid Norge: In Over My Head  (Read 9055 times)

Bill Hagan

[Act II] Nekkid Norge: In Over My Head
« on: March 28, 2015, 12:52:56 PM »

This post continues the saga raised in my earlier thread, Nekkid Norge: In Over My Head, http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=75439.0

So — for reasons I’ll explain if waterboarded  :o — I find myself needing (I think) to remove the “pork chop on the right side of the Norge.

OK, OK. I’ll tell you why.

Despite taking (obviously inadequate) precautions to prevent this, I have managed, when removing the air box, to pull the small tube that vents excess oil from the box up.   

It is still routed “down there,” but I cannot see or reach the end to pull it through and back into position at the bottom.  I have tried running a wire down through it but it stops where the little coglione seems to be pinched between other cables, hoses, and the transmission.  Woe is me.   :'(

Thus the pork chop.

In the parts list, at tab 5, this item is called "RH Plate” MG977683

I have stared at this for a bit and am trying to decide if I can “simply” remove the several big fasteners that attach it to the frame or if hidden dangers lurk (beyond my incompetence, of course) in the nature of, e.g., the rear brake lever and components are under tension and will rocket back through my eye sockets into my brain.   :-\ On the bright side, that would moot this PITA.   ;)

This may all sound silly to the serious wrenches out there and also to both of you more ignorant than I am, but I do not want to start down this road without knowing the “oh shixes” that await.

Thanks (yet again) for your patience and wisdom.

Bill

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: [Act II] Nekkid Norge: In Over My Head
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 12:56:27 PM »

I have stared at this for a bit and am trying to decide if I can “simply” remove the several big fasteners that attach it to the frame or if hidden dangers lurk (beyond my incompetence, of course) in the nature of, e.g., the rear brake lever and components are under tension and will rocket back through my eye sockets into my brain.   :-\ On the bright side, that would moot this PITA.   ;)

This may all sound silly to the serious wrenches out there and also to both of you more ignorant than I am, but I do not want to start down this road without knowing the “oh shixes” that await.

Thanks (yet again) for your patience and wisdom.

Bill

This will NOT seem a silly question to anyone who ever disassembled a Chrysler torsion-bar front suspension according to what SEEMS to be the right order and scrapped the car by bending the frame .... or anyone who just barely avoided being decapitated upon disassembling a Triumph sprung-hub assembly ..... !

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Guzzi pork chops?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 12:57:46 PM »
It does sound silly for a vent hose, can you push it back up from below? maybe with a piece of coat hanger stuck into the bottom end..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Bill Hagan

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 01:03:04 PM »
It does sound silly for a vent hose, can you push it back up from below? maybe with a piece of coat hanger stuck into the bottom end..

Thanks, but the tube doesn't need to be pushed up, but pulled down. 

It is stuck, and is invisible to me notwithstanding lights, mirrors, and persuasive cursing.  ::(

If I could see it, feel it, or get a grip on it, I could pull it down.  As it is, I seem stuck with removing the plate, thus my wondering about the possible consequences of that.

Bill

P.S. Lannis, I actually felt better when I considered those examples.   :o

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 01:03:04 PM »

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 01:09:39 PM »
Please feel free to roll your eyes and call me names if this is stupid but could you simply attach a new hose and leave the old one wherever it is hididng?
North Carolina

Bill Hagan

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 01:12:44 PM »
Please feel free to roll your eyes and call me names if this is stupid but could you simply attach a new hose and leave the old one wherever it is hididng?

Thanks, flip.

I have considered that, but the routing channel where the new tubing would have to go is so constricted that there is no room for another.  And, I cannot figure out an end run around the normal path.

Bill

Bill Hagan

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 01:57:39 PM »
Well, the facts have changed ... but not necessarily the question.   ::)

May still need/want to remove that pork chop comma but.

In an immature but quite satisfying (at the time) moment  :D, I just jerked the tube up and out.

After shining a light up from the bottom of the Norge in that general area, there are several patches of "daylight."

So, I am thinking about using one of those more direct channels.  

That said, those pose, absent some creative tweaks, other challenges, e.g., running the tube might be too close to crossover or header pipes, all of which VFH temps.  Suppose I could wrap the tube with exhaust-pipe tape or find some higher-grade, heat-resistant tubing.

Might as well get a new tube, too, as mine looks seriously pinched where some bozo [likely with same initials as mine  ::)] was careless when reinstalling last time.

The Norge parts list calls it a "fuel pipe," AP8144038.  

But it's an Aprilia item and only $3 or so; see, e.g., http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=5307

Suspect same -- 20 inch (50cm) length; 7.5 mm internal diameter and 12 mm outer diameter -- is likely at NAPA, too.

So, back to that pork chop.  Do, don't remove?  Hazards (besides my skill set)?

All ... erm ... Most comments welcome.   ;D

Bill

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:03:15 PM by Bill Hagan »

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 04:10:34 PM »
  You even replied to this post when I did the same thing.  Did not have to take a pork chop off but the next time I do anything with the air box I will have a new longer hose. 
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=73136.0

The hose looks like aquarium air line, maybe PetSmart would be a source.  It took the better part of 4-5 hours to figure how to route the hose, pain in the arse.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »

That said, those pose, absent some creative tweaks, other challenges, e.g., running the tube might be too close to crossover or header pipes, all of which VFH temps.  Suppose I could wrap the tube with exhaust-pipe tape or find some higher-grade, heat-resistant tubing.

I have some "coated high temperature sleeving" that I used on a hose that is too close to the exhaust on the Elefant. Still have about 3' of it if you end up needing some.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8760T21
Charlie

Bill Hagan

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 05:26:42 PM »
I have some "coated high temperature sleeving" that I used on a hose that is too close to the exhaust on the Elefant. Still have about 3' of it if you end up needing some.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8760T21

I'll email you, Charlie.

You even replied to this post when I did the same thing.  Did not have to take a pork chop off but the next time I do anything with the air box I will have a new longer hose. 
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=73136.0

The hose looks like aquarium air line, maybe PetSmart would be a source.  It took the better part of 4-5 hours to figure how to route the hose, pain in the arse.

Figures re that recent reply.  CRS.  ::)

And, yup, re length.

I am thinking that removing the pork chop is a bad idea for several reasons.

OTOH, if I cannot easily route the new hose down the "regular way" -- and figure the odds of that -- I'll pull the starter motor, opening up a relative cavern, and route it down that way and back over somehow.

It all seems so easy up here at the house with some flavored limestone water from a nearby commonwealth.   ;)

Bill

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 05:52:20 PM »
My sympathies, just one of the reasons I strongly hesitate to take on things like this. I am really going to miss my dealer!
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Vasco DG

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »
This hose?

Pete

Bill Hagan

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 08:04:10 PM »
This hose?

Pete

Yes.

Well, I was certain 'til you asked.

Now ... I'm skeered.   ;D

Bill

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 09:04:11 PM »
Bill,     That's the drain hose, it wiggles in and around the frame, back of trans and out the bottom, behind the brake master.

If you pull off your swingarm you can get your fingers in there. (Don't do it)

It comes in 20' lengths, it's grey, you need about 2'
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 09:39:49 PM »
Sounds like the perfect reason to trade the bike in on a new one
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Vasco DG

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 12:08:14 AM »
If you can't get to the spigot to pop it back on then you can drop the pork chop off easily enough BUT YOU MUST SUPPORT THE BIKE ON IT'S SUMP AND TIE THE FRONT DOWN. When you remove one of the bolts the centerstand will collapse and the bike will fall over unless it is otherwise supported. This is from memory but I'm pretty certain I'm right.

Also undo the brake caliper and, if your bike has ABS, the wheel sensor and pull the hose and cable out of the clips on the swingarm. Disconnect the brake light switch, it's plug is up on the right by the relays from memory, by the frame about half way along the seat. Then when you remove the pork chop everything comes away as a unit. If  the bike has ABS then you'll need to hang it off the handlebars or some such as the hose from the MC will go up and forward to the pump.

Once the pork chop is off you should have a clear run at the bottom of the airbox to push the hose back on.

Pete

Bill Hagan

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 09:47:51 AM »
Bill,     That's the drain hose, it wiggles in and around the frame, back of trans and out the bottom, behind the brake master.

If you pull off your swingarm you can get your fingers in there. (Don't do it)

It comes in 20' lengths, it's grey, you need about 2'
If you can't get to the spigot to pop it back on then you can drop the pork chop off easily enough BUT YOU MUST SUPPORT THE BIKE ON IT'S SUMP AND TIE THE FRONT DOWN. When you remove one of the bolts the centerstand will collapse and the bike will fall over unless it is otherwise supported. This is from memory but I'm pretty certain I'm right.

Also undo the brake caliper and, if your bike has ABS, the wheel sensor and pull the hose and cable out of the clips on the swingarm. Disconnect the brake light switch, it's plug is up on the right by the relays from memory, by the frame about half way along the seat. Then when you remove the pork chop everything comes away as a unit. If  the bike has ABS then you'll need to hang it off the handlebars or some such as the hose from the MC will go up and forward to the pump.

Once the pork chop is off you should have a clear run at the bottom of the airbox to push the hose back on.

Pete

Thanks Steve & Pete.

I am musing on which approaches are the least likely to kill me.    ::)

Actually, that one, I suppose. 

Brilliant, Jim.   ;D

Grazie.

Bill

Bill Hagan

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 07:11:17 PM »

Just an update; still Act II.

First, OK ... what is this pin in the center of the pic?  Cannot see on the parts list.

Decided to try probing for that elusive channel.

Close, but on wrong side of plate.

That was probably OK, but let's try again …

Bingo!  I'll try with the actual hose tomorrow.  Will try several places -- including PetSmart, waltr. :D

Then, on to electricity!  Should be exciting.  Might involve 9-1-1.  Wayne, stand by for calls.  :-)

Bill

Offline mojohand

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »

If it were Bill's brother... :)
Richmond, VA, USA
-----
2020 BMW R1250RS
-----
Previous: 2000 Jackal, 04 Breva 750, 06 Breva 1100, 07 Norge, 09 Griso, 12 Norge, 14 FJR, 14 Striple, 16 SpeedTriple, 18 KTM Super Adventure S

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 07:24:13 PM »
  Actually what Fotoguzzi said above about the coat hanger is something close to  what I did.  My memory is a little hazey but I believe I used a section of stiff wire,( I think it was doorbell wire I had around on a spool), and routed that up and through and stuck it into the bottom of the hole in the air box.  Then I pushed the hose up with the wire inside of it.  Of course if you take the air box back off I believe the routing would be easier.  Either way about as fun as hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 09:30:12 PM »

So, I am thinking    too much
Bill

where is the Rodin "thinker" emoticon?
after Pete's comment's I would say you better not mess with the porkchop.
does anything really drain out? could you just leave it off and go for a ride?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:32:29 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Bill Hagan

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 06:25:55 AM »
where is the Rodin "thinker" emoticon?
after Pete's comment's I would say you better not mess with the porkchop.
does anything really drain out? could you just leave it off and go for a ride?

Wouldn't be the first time I "overthought" something.  It can be tempting to admire a problem rather than solving it!   :D

But, mebbe I wasn't clear ... also probably not the first time.   ;)

I am NOT pulling the plate (pork chop).

Pete's comments and some other concerns made that a no-go.

Instead, I'm getting a new hose (after the dentist work on me this a.m.  :'() and will try to replicate my successful test routing of yesterday.

Thanks.

Bill

Offline menzies

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 07:26:46 AM »
Bill, I believe the pin you ask about fits thru a rubber grommet to hold the CAT up, should be another facing that one. I just removed the CAT from my Breva and just removed those and stored with the CAT.
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline guzziks

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 08:45:52 PM »
Would you take a pic of that wiring diagram and post on your photo account.  It looks like you have some corrections written in red on the lower right. 

Also where did you get that one?  It looks similiar to the one I have by Carl Allison dated 27 sept 2008, except mine shows the abs unit on the right middle just below the taillight.
Walt Collins
07 Norge
sv650 track bike

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here