Author Topic: Header pipe hardware  (Read 2428 times)

Bones1300

Header pipe hardware
« on: March 29, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »
The brakets that attach the header pipes to the motor on my 2000 Jackal V11, are rusty and flaky. What can I do? Can they be painted or powder coated,should I have them chromed. Is there some where to order new or used ones? What are they called lol...

Thank You in advance

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Header pipe hardware
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 01:57:09 PM »
I just take them off and use a wire wheel to clean them and paint with high temp rattle can paint, as well as the collars under them. Lasts about a year, depending. Use anti sneeze on all the joints when you reassemble . If you don't want to take the exhaust all apart, i guess clean them as best as possible . Maybe someone has some suggestions for that
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 03:12:20 PM »
Those are exhaust flanges and the nice replacements are $150 for the pair so well worth your time to remove and renew.  Mine were horrible and rusty after just a few seasons.

Give all the joints of your exhaust a good dousing with your favorite penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. 

Remove, clean and polish starting from the mufflers and working forward.  Blast or wire brush the flanges and replace the gaskets if they look perished:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=1406

Paint your flanges and replace with copious daubings of anti-seize on all hardware. 
Put the exhaust together very loosely and make sure everything lines up. 
With everything loose you can push and pull things into place before you tighten.  Start with the head pipes as this is the critical fit. 
The head pipes must be flush to the head to get a good seal.  Now work your way back to the mufflers and you are good!
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »
I'd not chrome them, but I don't like shiny things.

Powder coating and ceramic coating are two alternatives to rattle-canning/oven baking them.  The two clamps won't be too expensive to have a shop prep and coat.  Whatever you do they must be *very* clean.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »

Bones1300

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 05:30:10 PM »
Guys thank you so much for all your help.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 05:58:40 PM »
I have a pair of finned (earlier tonti version) head clamps already powdercoated in hi-temp pipe black (satiny, not glossy).  They will need two sets of half-rings between them and the pipe flange to make the seal (just went through this with my other pair of clamps).  If you're interested in an exchange price, let me know.  I can also powder coat yours If that's how you want to go -- just remember that however you finish used parts the surface pits and scratches remain.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here