Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Why are you hellbent on getting something modern?

Maybe cause some people are tired of replacing:

After new tires, new fork seals, new battery, new brakes, carburetor kit, new brake lines, pads, having tires mounted, new seat, replacement headlight and turn signals, oil, oil filter, new clutch plates, and probably some other things I’m forgetting

And maybe for them $10k is play money but time isn't...
Why are you hellbent on getting something modern? It’s my understanding - at least with the various Japanese and one German motorcycle that I’ve owned - that once they are dialed in and running they are incredibly reliable. You might not want to learn how to get them dialed in, but it’s also been my experience that it costs about the same doing it yourself as buying one that is already mint.

For example, I recently bought a totally dead CB750 for $900.

After new tires, new fork seals, new battery, new brakes, carburetor kit, new brake lines, pads, having tires mounted, new seat, replacement headlight and turn signals, oil, oil filter, new clutch plates, and probably some other things I’m forgetting I’m in about $3500-$4500. If I went and spent that on a CB750 I’d get one that needs nothing and is good to go. It just so happens I enjoy wrenching so it’s no big deal to me.

However now that the bike is running and riding, it doesn’t need much other than gas and oil. At some point I’m sure the valve clearances will need to be checked again, as will the timing, but that’s probably at about 10k miles.

So don’t be afraid to buy an old bike. If it’s in good condition you’ll be fine.
General Discussion / Re: First time riding a Moto Guzzi
« Last post by texasmoto on Today at 03:00:56 PM »
Smaller displacement motors just ooze charm. I mean, yeah a liter bike is serious and all the rest, but there is something so fun about a 350. I’d love to get a V35. I already offered to purchase this V50 if the guy ever thinks of selling 😂 The V50 is more than enough in most of the world outside of America: roads just aren’t big, wide and straight enough to accommodate much more.

I think the otto cilindri is a 500cc, and you should see how tiny the carburetors are! I have a Honda CB350F, and the carbs were smaller than that. They’d be only cute if they weren’t on a machine that reached 180+mph! But small bikes are a mix of cute and danger…charm, right?
General Discussion / Re: NGC. Shoulder surgery done.
« Last post by Stretch on Today at 01:52:08 PM »
What spmoto said.

Good Luck!

Heal well and quickly.

-Stretch
« Last post by bigbikerrick on Today at 12:40:07 PM »
I would say you have been bitten by the Guzzi Bug bigtime!  Reminds me of when I rode my first Guzzi, a 2001 Rosso Mandello. I had been riding for over 30 years,and had never felt a bike with a motor that "spoke to me" the way the big Guzzi did. Its a crazy feeling, that first time. I have never ridden/owned a smallblock, but would like to some day.
Great pics, BTW!
Rick.
« Last post by chuck peterson on Today at 12:33:39 PM »
Thanks! Great story for a first guzzi ride, geez

Never ever ever seen this before!

Now i can brag to my moped friends… :popcorn:
« Last post by texasmoto on Today at 12:03:25 PM »
The things that I didn’t like about the V50:

- The gas tank is smaller than I’m used to. I find it easier to grip the wide tank on the 750. It was really difficult for me to do this on the V50 so my riding was a little loose.

- The linked brakes also didn’t give me confidence when performing low speed maneuvers like U-turns. In the MSF course the instructor showed us how any front brake leads to a loss of control when turning. But I use a ton of rear brake for stability on my Honda. Maybe I can push this more than what was demonstrated in the course, but I didn’t want to experiment on a rental.

The Pros

- the sound. Just absolute joy. It could chug along and not disturb pedestrians, or you could give it the business and wake up the block

- the linked brakes really stop and are incredibly effective. In comparison to a CB750, it actually stops!

- happy cruising at 4-5k rpm all day. It’s a twin that redlines at 9k rpm. This is the same as my 78 CB750 inline 4!

- absolutely pure soul. I’ve never ridden a motorcycle like this and I don’t know WHY exactly they are like this

« Last post by blu guzz on Today at 12:02:53 PM »
thanks for the great pics.
General Discussion / First time riding a Moto Guzzi
« Last post by texasmoto on Today at 11:55:31 AM »
I’m in the process of restoring a ‘78 850 but I’ve never ridden a Guzzi. So I took a vacation to Italy, Mandello del Lario, in fact. They have a little factory there you may be aware of.

I tried to rent a modern V7 but had problems in Milan with my license, so it was a no go. Found a smaller rental agency that by chance just had a “cafe racer” Moto Guzzi, a V50.

With the paperwork in order, the owner of the rental agency started giving me the rundown on how to use the bike.  I tried to cut him short and said, “Look, I have a 77 CB750 I know older bikes.” And he said, disparagingly, “this isn’t a Japanese bike.”

It most definitely is not a Japanese bike. The CB750 is absolute junk in comparison. Soulless. The little 500 felt better than any Honda I’ve ever ridden. They are almost alive.

When I was about to ride off he said to me in broken English that it’s like a horse, and like a toy, and I didn’t know what he meant until about the third day. It really is like a horse.

Well I figure it made sense that the first ride on a Guzzi ought to be to their factory so that’s what I did. And then I spent the rest of the time exploring around Lake Como. Those roads were made for that little machine. An 850 would be too much. The 500 was a joy, and I barely got out of second gear on the narrow mountain roads. The speedometer didn’t work, the rear brake (although linked) tended to shudder when warm, and the battery died on the first day. This made it a push-in-second-gear-to-start motorcycle, like a race bike.

Guzzis might not have the numbers in terms of HP or top speed or whatever quantitative metric you want to use to measure the best, but they are qualitative machines. They get the feeling right 100%. I don’t need to be Valentino Rossi and exceed 200mph. It’s just silly these days. But Guzzi captures the feeling. Wonderful machines.

I’m putting my Hondas up for sale when I return to finish funding my restoration. What incredible machines.

I’ve attached some photos of the trip and the factory.

Yes, just the other day as a matter of fact. Often too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here