Author Topic: Tailgaters  (Read 19931 times)

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Tailgaters
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 07:01:03 PM »
 :+=copcar

The law about moving is well intended, but when everybody on a four lane road is going 80 or more and the clown who thinks we'll all move for him so he can do 90 or more comes along, then it's difficult to appease him. When he hangs four foot off my tail light I get bothered.

So where do you draw the line? If you're doing 72 in a 70 in the left lane and someone wants to proceed at 75 - are you justified to hold him up? Who appointed you enforcer of speed limits?
KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS!
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 07:01:46 PM »
 Just let them by. I once had a tractor trailer in heavy traffic get right up behind me, I had no where to go so I turned around and gave him the back off, he then tried to almost kill me, he pulled up next to me in my lane and the breakdown, not sure how he didn't run me over  and then chased me, of course being on the bike I got a lot of distance between us but i could see him in the mirrors driving like a nut through traffic.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

lucydad

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 07:29:20 PM »
Agree with Rocker:  let em pass.

My cage commute in Houston can be horrid for same reason.  It gets really, really old. 

Stay chilly.

Offline 1Sourdough

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 08:47:15 PM »
It seems to me lately the cars are going a lot faster than a couple of years back.
I used to be the fastest thing on the motorway, now all the cars fly by at least doing 80 or 90

Perhaps I'm just getting old ???

News stories today: Iowa and a neighboring state are considering raising speed limits.  In Iowa to 75 on the Interstates and the other (don't recall which) the move is to raise some secondary road limits from 55 to 60.  So it isn't just our perception.  Folks are responding to the ever increasing tension in their lives and speeding on the road is one symptom.
1993 Strada 1000, 1996 R1100RT, 1999 V11 EV
                            -30-

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 08:47:15 PM »

nunzio

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 09:05:00 PM »
And of course tapping the brake might get you killed. Sigh.

Are you riding too slowly? Just sayin', it takes two to tailgate.

When I took my motorcycle endorsement test in Texas.

"Tapping on your brakes" was the Correct answer to.

What do you do when a car is tailgating your motorcycle?

I was so shocked that I didn't even argue with the tester.

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 05:42:12 AM »
Tapping the brakes is dangerous business.  Though I haven't always been successful, I try to avoid any sort of angry, warning, or threatening behavior when riding.  Maybe the 'steel cut oats' thread and this thread could come together...non-lethal, methane-based tailgating avoidance strategies...
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Cheese

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2015, 06:22:56 AM »
In Russia, it seems, everyone has a dash-cam. Perhaps we are just behind the curve on this one. I agree with the folks who just let them by whenever possible.

biking sailor

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 09:36:08 AM »
When bottled up on a multi lane and getting tailgated, with no option to move over or speed up, I have moved over to the extreme edge of my lane, usually toward the middle on a four lane. Don't know if it confuses them or what, but most will give me a bit more room.

I agree with don't do things to piss them off, a bike will lose that confrontation.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:44:30 AM by biking sailor »

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2015, 09:55:15 AM »
I've thought about this forever, and my solution has always been when possible, add 5mph to traffic. Of course you can't do that a lot of the time. When I was young we used to carry 1" bearing balls or a pocket full of marbles, but that only works at higher speeds and risks innocent vehicles nearby.

I'm thinking about this;

http://www.larsonelectronics.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=48246&gclid=CIn7ifnHkcQCFbPm7Aodli0ASQ

Small, 2x2x1/2" high intensity strobe. On the LeMans, I have enough rear fender that I can mount it above or below the licence plate. If nothing else it has to catch their attention, which will either back them off or let me know if I have to confront them at the next stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmnFrT-b1u8
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:57:12 AM by pressureangle »
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 10:14:04 AM »
 My brother in law who is a great guy in his mid 60's, is a tailgater, I hate driving with him, I try in a polite way point out if the car or truck in front should brake he will end up in the trunk, he thinks I nuts. I have a friend same thing, we are in his MGB and he is tailgating a tractor trailer I mention if the truck blew a tire we would be killed he said no his reactions are so good he would avoid a accident. These are smart people, I don't get it.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2015, 10:16:21 AM »
Bit of a drift here.

Not a tailgater, but I was in a parking lot the other day and I saw a woman drive off holding a bowl (with a spoon or fork in it) in her hand. Sheesh.

Rich A

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2015, 10:20:05 AM »
 Cars have gotten to good, your just not involved in driving anymore. Make everyone drive a 3 on the tree with no PS or PB, then you have to drive the car not just go along for the ride!
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Cheese

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2015, 10:40:19 AM »
Sheesh, with stability control, traction control, ABS, collision avoidance, Airbags, 5mph bumpers, cruise control, active suspension...on and on and on, maybe the message is they can skillfully avoid creaming one of us. They are certainly fully insulated from the driving experience.

oldbike54

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2015, 11:10:32 AM »
Cars have gotten to good, your just not involved in driving anymore. Make everyone drive a 3 on the tree with no PS or PB, then you have to drive the car not just go along for the ride!

:D Everyone should start out in a 1950 International pickup . Non synchronized transmissions , very little go , and even less whoa  ;)

Dusty

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 11:11:33 AM »
I wonder if a motorcycle is large enough to trigger the anti-collision systems now advertised for some new cars. Maybe I should put a radar reflector on the back . . .

I understand these systems will be mandatory in EU next year but some work only at low speeds.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:22:54 AM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline AMGeneral

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2015, 02:03:50 PM »
Here is a situation for you to think about.....

A truck is traveling at the 70mph speed limit on the interstate, the driver sees an on ramp ahead and also notices a vehicle turning onto the ramp, the truck driver checks for a clear lane then signals and gets into the left lane, the on ramp vehicle proceeds to accelerate to 70mph along side the truck, meanwhile as this is happening another vehicle approaches the truck still in the left lane and starts tailgating, the on ramp vehicle is still along side the truck and shows no signs of speeding up or letting off, so the truck driver now starts to slow a bit to let the on ramp vehicle get clear and then merge back in the right lane, as the truck is just about clear of the on ramp vehicle the driver turns on the signal to merge right, and just as he is starting to merge right, the tailgating vehicle now cuts into the right lane and blocks the lane change even though the truck has the signal flashing, while this is happening another vehicle comes up from behind and proceeds to pass on the right also while the trucks signal is still flashing. So the driver turns off the signal and proceeds to let all of the traffic pass on right so he can get out of the pack and then merge back into the right lane. All the while getting salute gestures, blinded by flashing high beams, and what ever else the passing motorists care to do.

So who is at fault? Am I the so called lane hog now?  Notice I said 'I'. This happens to me quite often. And often the vehicles that cut into the right lane, will exit in a few miles. And they have no idea as to why I was in the left lane to begin with because they don't just watch and pay attention. It isn't hard. And it isn't limited to certain vehicles, cars, trucks, motorcycles all do it.

It is to the point where I now know where the busy junctions are on my run and will be in the left lane before I get to them. Boy does that piss off Joe Blow motorist! Gee someone actually watching ahead for merging traffic. Can't have that.

Maybe that is why I absolutely hate riding my Jackal on the interstates. I will do it but I ain't enjoying it! I make every effort to take alternative routes. Gee isn't that why we ride in the first place?

So next time you are commuting, traveling, riding your Guzzi, just watch and pay attention, yours and my blood pressure will thank you.

2000 Jackal 62,900

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

"Just think how stupid the average person is,
and then realize that half of them
are even stupider!"
--George Carlin

oldbike54

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »
 Rod brings up some VERY good points . Most truck drivers are courteous and careful , their livelihood depends on being so . Most of the time , give that driver some room , and he will reciprocate . Back in the day when every car and bike could turn off its headlights , lots of car and MC operators would signal to a truck that they had room to pull back into the right lane after a pass , and most pros would respond by flashing their trailer lights . Just a friendly gesture , that unfortunately may have another meaning these days . Oh well , I still try to give truckers a heads up , seems the polite thing to do .

Dusty

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2015, 03:02:27 PM »
I have not been a professional trucker but I have driven farm trucks and truck/trailers with 30+ tons of honey bees on board cross country. Every car driver should have to drive a large truck or semi a few times in traffic, etc. and I would guess from then on they would be a much better more attentive and polite driver. Maybe tie a bee hive onto the bike of your bike as I don't remember having much tailgating even though in a vehicle the windows were all up. ;D
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Vasco DG

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2015, 03:10:49 PM »
Interesting bit of footage on the TV news here a couple of days ago taken from the Go-Pro or similar helmet cam of a bloke who was rear ended at a set of lights in Canberra. He gets up and turns around and the driver of the car that hit him/her still has her phone in her hand in front of her face!

God help us!

Pete

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 03:56:25 PM »
Here is a situation for you to think about.....

A truck is traveling at the 70mph speed limit on the interstate, etc

I actually followed all of that, and I feel your pain. It reminds me of driving in Italy: Everyone on the roads is either a beat-up old truck (full of chickens in cages or whatever) poking along at 55 kph, or an Alfa Romeo wanting to zoom past at 180 kph.

Meanwhile you just want to drive a nice, normal 130 kph (about 85 mph), and everyone hates you. You can't win..
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »
It seems to me lately the cars are going a lot faster than a couple of years back.
I used to be the fastest thing on the motorway, now all the cars fly by at least doing 80 or 90

Perhaps I'm just getting old ???
Cars are so much better today and family sedans, SUV's etc are powerful, quiet, and smooth decreasing the drivers sense of speed. In a Lexus and similar cars 80 MPH feels like a stroll. Modern family cars out perform muscle cars from the old days.So granny today is driving a car that would kick a GTO's ass.
Bill

redrider

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2015, 05:10:28 PM »
I wonder if a motorcycle is large enough to trigger the anti-collision systems now advertised for some new cars. Maybe I should put a radar reflector on the back . . .

I understand these systems will be mandatory in EU next year but some work only at low speeds.
AAA study concludes we are 26% more likely to not be detected by these systems. A while back I thought a chaff dispenser would be nice to have.

lee swanger

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »
Dont blame you.

Offline sliphorn

• Hatchling
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2015, 08:58:09 PM »
A rusty lugnut produced from the rider's left breast pocket and lobbed as inconspicuously as possible over the rider's left shoulder will make a resounding CRACK when it hits the tailgater's windshield.

Not sayin' I would ever do such a deed but I have read about it on the internet.

Repeatedly.

Paint balls.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2015, 09:51:38 PM »
tailgating is not only dangerous and discourteous, the tailgater rides his brakes thereby wearing out brakes and wasting gas.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline AMGeneral

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2015, 03:51:12 AM »
I bet you don't get too many tailgaters with those bees around! Talk about a hazardous load. Almost wrecked the Jackal 'cause of a bee getting jammed between the helmet liner and upper cheek. I was fine with it, thought it was dead, until it wanted back out and started buzzing and moving. Made for an exciting quick stop.

Anymore if someone wants to tailgate me in the truck. Eh, I let 'em, it's their windshield not mine. I think it must have to do with this instant society we live in now. Nobody can take the time to wait. Gotta have it now, gotta get there now, not five minutes from now, now. I tend to be the opposite, enjoy the ride, slow down a bit, turn the tunes up a little, watch everyone else lose their minds. I find I am much less stressed out at the end of the day and can sleep better. Don't have to unwind the nerves.

I have not been a professional trucker but I have driven farm trucks and truck/trailers with 30+ tons of honey bees on board cross country. Every car driver should have to drive a large truck or semi a few times in traffic, etc. and I would guess from then on they would be a much better more attentive and polite driver. Maybe tie a bee hive onto the bike of your bike as I don't remember having much tailgating even though in a vehicle the windows were all up. ;D
GliderJohn
2000 Jackal 62,900

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

"Just think how stupid the average person is,
and then realize that half of them
are even stupider!"
--George Carlin

andrewdonald1

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2015, 08:18:52 AM »

Anymore if someone wants to tailgate me in the truck. Eh, I let 'em, it's their windshield not mine. I think it must have to do with this instant society we live in now. Nobody can take the time to wait. Gotta have it now, gotta get there now, not five minutes from now, now. I tend to be the opposite, enjoy the ride, slow down a bit, turn the tunes up a little, watch everyone else lose their minds. I find I am much less stressed out at the end of the day and can sleep better. Don't have to unwind the nerves.

My normal commuter rig is a 2002 Honda Insight.  Definitely not a road dominator.  
Even when in the slow (or next to slow) lane and appropriate for the traffic volume, people like to tailgate.  
I have a little license plate frame that says "60 mph, 70 - 85 MPG.  Think Green".
Most tailgate for a few seconds then peel around me.  
I just keep doing my thing.  

Its quite enjoyable now.
People zip by me in the faster lanes fighting it out.. trying to get ahead of each other and really not getting much ahead, especially with each other.
I cruise along watching all this craziness and show up stress free.  

Some tailgaters after they peel around me, go right up to the next person.. It appears to be endless for them..  
So it really doesn't matter how fast you're going relative to them.. they'd still tailgate you to feel like they are getting ahead.

And that's where I've come to.
Our culture has a basic ingrained philosophy that we are taught early and continually re-enforced thru out life.
Its that we must ALWAYS ATTEMPT to push beyond the boundaries of what's possible or normal, otherwise you're not doing you're part in this society.
Its permeates almost everything we do.  
So now we have a society basically ingrained that we much always attempt to overachieve.
Tailgaters in my opinion are just a reflection of that philosophy.
No matter the speed limit and no matter what speed the person in front of them is doing.. the core programming tells them to go faster to feel they are getting ahead of everyone else.
Unless this cultural programming changes I just don't see this changing on the roads generally.  

And frankly I don't see that cultural programming changing in this society.
It permeates everywhere..

I guess I am getting older & just don't see the point to all this craziness..  :( :(  
Ok I know the point.. but I am not going to go there.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:43:10 AM by andrewdonald1 »

Offline JoeB

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2015, 08:43:59 AM »
Paint balls.

Nice to think about but since these tailgaters are idiots escalating a hazardous situation is not recommended. Since I made it this far I wish to live awhile longer. I have no problem pulling over at the first opportunity to get them by me. If someone pursues me further it turns into a different scenario.
 For the sake of a bar room discussion the old timers were credited with using clear marbles.
It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Offline Seagondollar

• Gaggle Hero
  • Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
I've heard people that would throw old spark plugs of such at the tailgater, but that can be dangerous.  For both of you.  Carry some M&Ms or dog kibbles in your pocket?  Not that I'm suggesting you should throw them, but want to open up that part of the discussion.
2002 BMW 330i
1988 Toyota MR2
1974 V7 Sport
1989 Le Mans 1000 (V) - � morto

dibble

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2015, 02:10:21 PM »
Unfortunately we might have a bit of explaining to do but chain lube is quite effective.

One Autumnal afternoon in my misspent  youth I was parked up in the West End of London with a bunch of other Motorbike Couriers.

A young Kid on a 125cc shot up and parked in the middle of us and started talking excited gibberish.

Seconds later a Ford Escort convertible with 3 massive guys came round the corner the windscreen was completely obscured filthy with fallen leaves.

We scared them off.

Turned out they had  in a row and the kid on the bike had Chain Lubed the car, in the ensuing chase every bit of road dirt in the West End stuck to their Windscreen.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here