Author Topic: Tailgaters  (Read 19935 times)

redrider

Tailgaters
« on: March 04, 2015, 02:07:26 PM »
It's worse than ever. Some of them get closer when I politely give the back off hand wave. Yeah, I know it's illegal to do but dammit, I'm thinking of adding smoke or flames from the exhaust. A bit of diesel through the emissions test bung at the header. Viberider shows a flame set-up. About 5k and hit the switch. "Bubble the paint for you sir?"

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Tailgaters
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 02:19:26 PM »
And of course tapping the brake might get you killed. Sigh.

Are you riding too slowly? Just sayin', it takes two to tailgate.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »
You're fighting a losing battle.

Best to just move right and wave 'em past.

If it's busy multi-lane traffic, I don't think there's much you can do...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

redrider

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 02:29:18 PM »
One man's slow is another man's lugging. Nope. Tapping the brake sometimes works. For others its like a red blanket to a bull.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 02:29:18 PM »

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 02:32:19 PM »
it takes two to tailgate.

what a load of bollox.

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »
 A giant mirror facing rearwards  ;D

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 02:40:06 PM »
what a load of bollox.

Not really.  If you're moving slower than the flow of traffic, people are going to bunch up behind you.

On paper, No, they shouldn't.  They should keep a safe distance.  In the real world, if you're riding too slow for the flow of traffic, you'll be tailgaited.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 03:09:13 PM »
It's worse than ever. Some of them get closer when I politely give the back off hand wave. Yeah, I know it's illegal to do but dammit, I'm thinking of adding smoke or flames from the exhaust. A bit of diesel through the emissions test bung at the header. Viberider shows a flame set-up. About 5k and hit the switch. "Bubble the paint for you sir?"

Probably there's a Master's thesis in sociology in the study of tailgating.    For example, there's a BIG rise lately in this part of the country of people embezzling money from the Fire Department or Rescue Squad or Church association for whom they are treasurer, two Credit Unions have had millions stolen from them by their managers (one CU went under), and two county treasurers were fired (one jailed) for theft of money for which they were responsible.    Someone could probably explain why that's happening in terms of the entitlement and materialism trend today.

Similar with tailgating.   Why do people do something that's so aggressive and dangerous and makes them into such an arsewipe?   Do they not see it?   Do they not care?   Do they think it's a good thing?   

We're especially sensitive to it on our bikes, because they will stop faster than a car and because a collision isn't just a dent and an insurance claim (usually).   Maybe it SEEMS like it's happening more often because there are more cars on the road today than there used to be?   

I'm like you - I wish that a flamethrower or bazooka or caltrop dispenser were something that could be deployed, just to give the clueless driver something to think about and to dispense justice on the highways ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 03:13:49 PM »

I started doing that about ten years ago and my blood pressure is better off for it.  The only bit of advice I'll add is don't pull back into the lane and accelerate immediately after the car passes, because some drivers take that to mean you're going to get even by tailgating them, and react poorly.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 03:19:23 PM »
I like to ride alone and let tailgaters go by and then bye bye

Offline Robert

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 03:23:06 PM »
Why do people do something that's so aggressive and dangerous  --

A couple of thoughts:

Motorcycle is smaller so the depth perception effect might make it seem farther.

Motorcycle is smaller, so it can be bullied.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »
It seems to me lately the cars are going a lot faster than a couple of years back.
I used to be the fastest thing on the motorway, now all the cars fly by at least doing 80 or 90

Perhaps I'm just getting old ???
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 04:02:18 PM »
It seems to me lately the cars are going a lot faster than a couple of years back.
I used to be the fastest thing on the motorway, now all the cars fly by at least doing 80 or 90

Perhaps I'm just getting old ???

Maybe, I know I am, but when I was young, if you were going 80 in a car, you were very aware of it, with all the noise and bouncing around and effort to keep it going the right direction.  Now you can be going 80 in a car as effortlessly as when you're going 30, so every Bozo who feels the urge does it.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 04:10:34 PM »
Dumbs&$ts that hog the hammer lane hack me off about as bad as the tailgaters. Passing on the right is a very dangerous practice too. Especially when vehicles with a larger than average blind spot over the right shoulder are involved. Remember to stay out of the no zone on the highway. Good idea for all vehicles not just big trucks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:41:14 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 04:11:18 PM »
You're fighting a losing battle.

If you're being tailgated and you're in the left lane, then you're riding too slowly. Even if (or especially if) the guy is a maniac wanting to drive 100 mph or whatever. Slower traffic to the right.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

dibble

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 04:18:11 PM »
Isn't the rule if you’re not overtaking anything yourself move over?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 04:24:21 PM »

It's the law in some states, and good etiquette everywhere else.   

In Europe, they're dead serious about it.   You can get pulled over for riding in the fast lane if you're not passing something, and "passing on the right" is about like a DUI here.   A truck driver doing it will lose his CDL.   Here, it's just normal practice.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 04:25:25 PM »

As long as your on a four lane road.....yes.
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

roam

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 04:26:28 PM »
If you're being tailgated and you're in the left lane, then you're riding too slowly. Even if (or especially if) the guy is a maniac wanting to drive 100 mph or whatever. Slower traffic to the right.

Agreed. The left lane is called the passing lane for a reason. My personal favorite is when people tailgate me when I am allowing for a safe following distance behind a slower driver on a single lane road....

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
  Most of them do it for the same reason a dog licks his balls.
  Because it feels good and because they can.
  Take down his number for later reference when you can Pass the parked car at speed and loft a rock into his windshield.
  That will feel almost as good as licking your balls.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 04:37:18 PM »
 Here, it's just normal practice.

Lannis
......driving like a 'Murican

Re the tailgating thing - too many NASCAR fans on the road. Friggin' stupidity. Wish the LEOs would pay more attention to this.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 04:43:17 PM »
The trend on the highways I travel it seems the left lane is the drive slow because I'm on the phone lane.

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 04:51:26 PM »
A giant mirror facing rearwards  ;D

Dusty

You boys are slipping  ???
 There have been many studies done over the years as to why traffic seems to run in packs when there is open space to be had . Read one of them back in the early 1970s , so wolfpacks and tailgaters are nothin new . Don't think anyone has ever came up with a real answer to this behavior , except that humans are stupid and like to run in packs. Dunno

Dusty

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 04:54:28 PM »
My wife suggested a windshield cleaner reservoir in the saddle bag, a pump and the sprayer pointed back.

The law about moving is well intended, but when everybody on a four lane road is going 80 or more and the clown who thinks we'll all move for him so he can do 90 or more comes along, then it's difficult to appease him. When he hangs four foot off my tail light I get bothered.

I think a mounted camera and a flash trigger would be effective.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »
My wife suggested a windshield cleaner reservoir in the saddle bag, a pump and the sprayer pointed back.

The law about moving is well intended, but when everybody on a four lane road is going 80 or more and the clown who thinks we'll all move for him so he can do 90 or more comes along, then it's difficult to appease him. When he hangs four foot off my tail light I get bothered.

I think a mounted camera and a flash trigger would be effective.

I'll still get out of his way, I'm not a traffic cop, it's not for me to tell him how to drive. If I end up highway pizza I still loose no matter who's fault it is.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 05:32:38 PM »
I hate it when I'm speeding in the slow lane and they are still tailgating me and there is no one in the fast lane. I have actually moved to the fast lane to let them pass me and 9 out of 10 times they are not turning right. My assumption is that they are just flat out stupid.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:36:44 PM by blackcat »
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

andrewdonald1

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 05:35:22 PM »
Not really.  If you're moving slower than the flow of traffic, people are going to bunch up behind you.

On paper, No, they shouldn't.  They should keep a safe distance.  In the real world, if you're riding too slow for the flow of traffic, you'll be tailgaited.

The sad thing is:  if you run with traffic and they are all speeding, and you get picked out of the litter by the cop... you still get a ticket..
That's a lesson I learned.. so what do you do?
The only thing I can think of is get over to the right and let the multi lanes go by you unless you want to risk a ticket with the rest of them.
Oh.. and don't have a bright red vehicle.. I love them.. but never again..
3 tickets with a slow bright red vehicle and zero with a black corvette in my previous history..

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:37:35 PM by andrewdonald1 »

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 06:23:46 PM »
I can't go any faster than the car in front of me and this guy still won't get off my ass. I an not going too slow. I am keeping up with traffic.
I think the 'being tailgated' feeling is sometimes exagerated by the fact that our mirrors are at the same height as headlights.
Tailgating at 80 mph is rampant in the Seattle area.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline poorBob

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 06:44:20 PM »
A rusty lugnut produced from the rider's left breast pocket and lobbed as inconspicuously as possible over the rider's left shoulder will make a resounding CRACK when it hits the tailgater's windshield.

Not sayin' I would ever do such a deed but I have read about it on the internet.

Repeatedly.

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 06:55:05 PM »
My Norge has a Whelen TIR3 for an extra brake light. For some reason, I don't get tailgated much  ;)
2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here