Author Topic: Red headed stepchild  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
Red headed stepchild
« on: October 06, 2021, 02:19:39 AM »
Well not quite as bad as my 1100 Breva... (Great bike)
Picked this up tonight with a grand total of 405 miles on it.. I sold my Breva, and thought this would work better for my road out of here.. This pushed all the right buttons for me, and I wanted a small block for a while.. I almost bought a 09/10 white V-7 but picked up a 2010 Street triple R back in the day.. The steel rims turned me off the Guzzi at the time, but thought it was a nice little bike.. Just got home with it tonight..

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Red headed stepchild
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 03:23:28 AM »
Very cool. CONGRATS!
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 03:34:06 AM »
Thanks,
Does anybody know if Guzzidiag will reset the service Icon when it shows up? I ran  the software with my Breva just fine, and kept all the cables.. I read where it works, but was wondering if there is anything up with Guzzidiag and the 2016 bikes?

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 06:07:29 AM »
405 miles on a V7II??

Jiminy Crickets. Ride the snot out of it. PLEASE.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 06:07:29 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 07:20:37 AM »
Thanks,
Does anybody know if Guzzidiag will reset the service Icon when it shows up? I ran  the software with my Breva just fine, and kept all the cables.. I read where it works, but was wondering if there is anything up with Guzzidiag and the 2016 bikes?
Yes it should, the service light on my V7III has come on since new, so often I now just ignore it, now at 27,000 km
If I run my bike outside in the morning and the weather is cold or raining the light comes on at around 500 meters but will always go out later in the day if it warms up.
My Mac will only run an older version, it just gives you a code that you have to look up, not a proper description in plain English.
Congratulations on the new bike, looks nice.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 07:35:21 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 07:23:30 AM »
Thanks,

You don't need Guzzi Diag to reset the service light; there's a method outlined in either the owner's manual or shop manual (I forget currently).

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 07:25:05 AM »
Very nice!

Online Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 08:06:37 AM »
I reset mine per instructions in the owners manual I believe , nice bike enjoy , I have 19,000 miles on mine it’s been rock solid.
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 08:25:10 AM »
Very nice!

not really a service light. says it comes up in the left dash lcd for 5 seconds, and then turns off. no info in the manual on resetting it other then take to a service center.. Not like the code you can add in certain Aprilia, and some Moto Guzz's I believe this is different then the standard unit with it's traction control setup/different software.  Must be in the shop manual, because no help in the owners manual.

I know the Engine oil type, and weight, but what about the rear shaft drive, and the trans. Typical Guzzi in info, and type.  I should probably get a shop manual and see if there is any better info on things..
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 08:34:17 AM by Brand X »

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 08:50:45 AM »
found it in the service Manual  The trans fill is like the Breva in amount so got that one, and figured the rear gear oil out too..

reset Service proceed as follows:
• Hold down the key (A).
• Turn the ignition key to "ON".
• Wait for the Key OFF.
The next time the vehicle is started, the value will
be reset and the word "MAInt" will not be displayed
until the next mileage for which maintenance is
foreseen.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 08:53:21 AM »
Glad you found it!

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 09:01:03 AM »
Very cool. CONGRATS!

Yes...CONGRATS!!  Good find! Ride it and enjoy it!! :thumb: :boozing: :cool: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 09:15:05 AM »
Glad you found it!

Thanks you for the help.. Glad to know it's a basic bike you can still work on.. Big plus for me..
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 09:15:49 AM by Brand X »

Offline dave1068

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 09:17:04 AM »
I always liked and wanted a Stornello even at 6'2 a bit low perhaps, Enjoy it!!
Dave
-2020 Moto Guzzi V85tt travel

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 09:21:52 AM »

I have a friend just a hair shorter than you with a V7III Anniversario. I bet if you got some slightly longer suspension and built the seat’s depression up, a difference would be felt positively.

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 10:55:06 AM »
 :blank:

I am 5-10", and it seems about right.. We will see.. The weight difference from the big block is where I am impressed.  Coming from a Breva 1100 it should turn in a bit easier.. My road is terrible, and something a bit more gravel friendly should make it more manageable .. Cross between my dual sports, and more  street bike is where I want to be.. 

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 11:33:43 PM »
I have been working on it.. First thing was the side stand needed work. Threw it in my press, and straighten it out some.. Really was leaned too far over stock.. Standard Guzzi layout.. :grin: Next was to change the pegs, way to many vibes with the stock aluminum setup,, Just stored them away, and used the rubber clad passenger pegs one the front..(worked great) Ditched the front #plate for a standard look, and the option of a smaller windscreen .. Removed all the reflectors .Just too many, and it has a enough.. added a rear bag I had, and built a bracket for a C-Bow mount I had. Just used some 1/4 SS and welded/bent up a bracket.. Ordered a Royster bag, and a extra bag mount for a hard case setup. Order all fluids from AF1 to do a complete service.. Probably do bar end mirrors,because I just like them better.  Off road will only be gravel/light dirt smooth roads.. Just getting it more street friendly.   Had it two days, and it's different bike already..

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-c-bow-plastic-mold-mount

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-royster-street-soft-bag-black-single-side-only

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 11:37:41 PM by Brand X »

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2021, 11:10:49 AM »
Congrats, the Stornello is my favorite of all the V7s I've ridden (V7 Classic, V7ii Racer, V7iii). I've had mine for 2+ years and is a great platform to build on. I've made many changes.

Guzzidiag works with full functionality including new maps, etc. The MAINT message as you've discovered can be reset without it.

My first change was suspension, with 420mm Hagon Trail shocks and larger KTEC fork springs. Great ride and control with about a 1/2" increase in ride height seated and 1" static. The bike was unrideable for me on all but the smoothest roads. Now the Stornello is my softest riding bike (Griso, 1200Sport, Convert)

I miss the big block grunt of the 1200 Sport and Griso/Norge sometimes, but is more than adequate, and a blast to ride on road, off road, around town, commute, and LD riding.

Here is how the bike currently sits. I swapped out the Stock tank for the yellow, and grabbed a set of backplates and painted to match the tank. 1 hour lets me put the bike back to stock if wanted, with the exception of the crash bars. I swapped out the stock tires for Shinko 705's last year. They are OK, but the next set will be more road oriented.

Because I adapted an old Norge shield to the DART bracket, is easy to put the DART back on.

Shoot me a PM if you want more detail on some of the upgrades and changes.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:37:47 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2021, 04:52:40 PM »
I hooked up Guzzidiag, and saved the stock mapp. Seems like at this high altitude Mid-grade gas seems to make it run well. I am just going to put some miles on it, before messing with any maps.. Suspension needs some work for sure..  I went with a dart classic, and have another design of screen too..   I did order the CNC tank ring because like the Breva, not much out there. The small Givi bag should fit well enough.

When I first rode the bike it was not impressive at all.. Now with a few changes, I can live without the big block.. Not saying I like it better, but like it different :thumb:

I am thinking about tires already.. More street too..

Which K-tec springs?
https://store.ktechsuspension.com/part-finder?find=moto-guzzi-v7-ii-2016-903280&sid=CRqoNuPAOu&product_list_limit=all

https://www.americanmototire.com/dual-sport-adventure-touring/pirelli-scorpion-trail-ii-100-90-18-56v-front-2526600-mc.html

https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-v7-givi-tanklock-adapter-ring/
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-xs319-tanklock-3l-tank-bag?utm_campaign=order_confirmation&utm_content=Product&utm_medium=email&utm_source=RevZilla&sku_id=1023937

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2021, 05:51:03 PM »
You wouldn't have any of those racer type side covers for sale? First thing I thought after ditching the front screen.

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »
You wouldn't have any of those racer type side covers for sale? First thing I thought after ditching the front screen.

I bought the racer style side covers off E-Bay for $50, and added the striping and custom made Logo.

The factory map on the Stornello is pretty good, and makes the motor a bit more 'spunky' than others, and the 2-1 Arrow makes great sounds, but there is a little flat spot in the torque curve around 3K RPM that the Beetle Map erases if not inverts. Once broken in, and after first service when you start flogging it, you will be grinning.

I am about 200# so went for the 7.5lb KTECH

I have the Givi Tank lock ring on the Griso and 1200Sport, so added one to the Stornello, but didn't like the look or gas cap seal, so I sold it to a WG member. Use a small magnetic bag which works fine.

I liked the Stock tires and was impressed by their dry grip, but found the front Metzler Laser copy to break loose in the wet too often. The 705's are good, but howl, and feel a bit too disconnected to be comfortable and aggressive on the street, and their off road performance isn't good enough to satisfy. I run a TPMS and have also found the rear tire heats up more than I'd like. Still playing with starting/cold temps.

The Stornello is a brilliant fun bike. As set up, I would do a cross country trip without hesitation, and am planning an Arctic Circle to tip of Brazil trip on it when I retire in a year or so (or 3... lol)
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2021, 10:24:56 PM »
We will see on the gas cap fit with the cnc model ring.. Fit well on my Breva 1100..

I have a dart classic screen coming but ordered this screen before the dart.. It will be my touring unit, and Just like the slipstream i had on my Yamaha XT.. About $60.00 so going to give it a go.. 

I had one extra C-bow mount, and put it to good use.. I just need to get a few button head screws at the hardware store.. It will give my 6.7 gal. total..  I won't it need too often, but just another cheap Option added. Had the stuff laying around. Made my fork stand fit the V7, so I can work on the forks soon..

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:30:40 PM by Brand X »

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 07:08:35 AM »
Your Rotopax mount solution looks better than mine, but I like how easy of a solution mine was—Container and a poly cutting board sandwich the pannier rack:

I plan to take one or two with me next year if I do the Trans-Labrador

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2021, 09:55:39 AM »
Your Rotopax mount solution looks better than mine, but I like how easy of a solution mine was—Container and a poly cutting board sandwich the pannier rack:

I plan to take one or two with me next year if I do the Trans-Labrador

Take one of these too.. :grin:
https://rotopax.com/self-venting-spout.html
Lots of options on tanks too

https://rotopax.com/1-75-gallon-gasoline-blemished.html

https://rotopax.com/rotopax/water-packs/
https://rotopax.com/storage-pack-single.html
https://rotopax.com/1-2-4-gallon-extension.html?category_id=7

https://rotopax.com/1-gallon-water.html

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2021, 09:47:36 PM »

I have the Givi Tank lock ring on the Griso and 1200Sport, so added one to the Stornello, but didn't like the look or gas cap seal, so I sold it to a WG member. Use a small magnetic bag which works fine.

My tank ring showed today..along with my Dart classic screen. Both had super fast shipping Took 5 days from England. :cool: I had this style tank ring on my Breva 1100 and they are outstanding.. Same with this one for the Givi Bags. No leaks and looks good without a bag on it.. Added  some Amazon warehouse mirrors for $25 and they are way better then stock stuff. Crystal clear at all speeds, and good view overall. Had to mill a few bushings to fit the bars but worth the effort.

image uploader

https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-v7-givi-tanklock-adapter-ring?_pos=2&_sid=54a7270ed&_ss=r

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2021, 08:30:04 AM »
My tank ring showed today..along with my Dart classic screen. Both had super fast shipping Took 5 days from England. :cool: I had this style tank ring on my Breva 1100 and they are outstanding.. Same with this one for the Givi Bags. No leaks and looks good without a bag on it.. Added  some Amazon warehouse mirrors for $25 and they are way better then stock stuff. Crystal clear at all speeds, and good view overall. Had to mill a few bushings to fit the bars but worth the effort.

image uploader

https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-v7-givi-tanklock-adapter-ring?_pos=2&_sid=54a7270ed&_ss=r

Went through my notes and realize the gas cap seal issue wasn't with the V7, but with the Griso. I slipped an o-ring behind the cap seal ring and solved the issue. I just didn't like the looks (preference).

Enjoy the Stornello, it is a ton of fun especially when you get past the break in period.

Hope to get some miles in today or tomorrow. Work has been brutal, and pushing 14hr days 5-6 days a week, so come my day off I have too many 'chores' and catchup to do.
MGNOC#23231

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2021, 12:31:01 PM »
 The Aprilia #2 gen, and the Breva 1100 had the same issue with the gas cap.(exactly the same cap) O-ring behind the main seal fixed  them both.. The tank spacer has nothing to do with leaking of that setup)The V7ii has to be correct in spacer size or it would be a fail pretty easy too.. You just remove one tank o-ring and replace with the cnc aluminum ring..

I am getting close to 600 miles, and waiting for a service light to show.. all oils/fluids will be changed.. Thinking about tires too (more street) It's down to the Continental Conti Road Attack 3  or Pirelli Scorpion Trail II that are a bit more off-road . Still look pretty street to me..(pics) They are within $7 of each other. The Stornello has a Radial on the rear, and a Bias type front from the factory..So not going to worry about type so much, but not going to mix styles..

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2021, 06:31:14 PM »
The Aprilia #2 gen, and the Breva 1100 had the same issue with the gas cap.(exactly the same cap) O-ring behind the main seal fixed  them both.. The tank spacer has nothing to do with leaking of that setup)The V7ii has to be correct in spacer size or it would be a fail pretty easy too.. You just remove one tank o-ring and replace with the cnc aluminum ring..

I am getting close to 600 miles, and waiting for a service light to show.. all oils/fluids will be changed.. Thinking about tires too (more street) It's down to the Continental Conti Road Attack 3  or Pirelli Scorpion Trail II that are a bit more off-road . Still look pretty street to me..(pics) They are within $7 of each other. The Stornello has a Radial on the rear, and a Bias type front from the factory..So not going to worry about type so much, but not going to mix styles..

Remember this is one of the last bikes that need the heads re-torqued at first service. Obviously needs to be done BEFORE valve adjustment.

I liked and was impressed by the stock tires, replaced at 6K. My only complaint was that the front broke loose a few times on wet turns.
MGNOC#23231

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2021, 11:21:23 PM »
Remember this is one of the last bikes that need the heads re-torqued at first service. Obviously needs to be done BEFORE valve adjustment.

I liked and was impressed by the stock tires, replaced at 6K. My only complaint was that the front broke loose a few times on wet turns.

That slipped by me.. I was wondering why they had check the valves at 600 miles? Makes sense now.. I did order some Valve cover gaskets.Have just the tool for the service.. Might be a bit overkill for a Guzzi.  :laugh:Changed the oils /filter out, now just the Brake fluid/fork oil  The oil was pretty free of metal. I am guessing just a side benefit of not having trans/clutch spinning in the same oil.

Tires are pretty good out on the road, but I think some sporting stuff might suit me, and the bike better...Went about 200 miles today, and averaged 55 mpg on the break-in oil  Have more then 600 now like 750 but I did not want to run the synthetic stuff to early either.. Had enough heat cycles to probably not worry about any of that anyway. 5 year 405 miles would do it.. I was a bit worried about the oil in it, but really looked pretty good still No water, and bits, and pieces anyway.. Filter was clean along with magnetic drain plugs.

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2021, 02:32:41 PM »
That slipped by me.. I was wondering why they had check the valves at 600 miles? Makes sense now.. I did order some Valve cover gaskets.Have just the tool for the service.. Might be a bit overkill for a Guzzi.  :laugh:Changed the oils /filter out, now just the Brake fluid/fork oil  The oil was pretty free of metal. I am guessing just a side benefit of not having trans/clutch spinning in the same oil.

Tires are pretty good out on the road, but I think some sporting stuff might suit me, and the bike better...Went about 200 miles today, and averaged 55 mpg on the break-in oil  Have more then 600 now like 750 but I did not want to run the synthetic stuff to early either.. Had enough heat cycles to probably not worry about any of that anyway. 5 year 405 miles would do it.. I was a bit worried about the oil in it, but really looked pretty good still No water, and bits, and pieces anyway.. Filter was clean along with magnetic drain plugs.

I found mostly the same, though the trans and rear dif oils were dirtier than I would have liked. Seems the Griso and 1200S as well as the Norge were almost new when drained.  Make sure you clean out the filter in the transmission oil and don't overfill the rear diff.

I've had the covers off 4X now, and no issues with the original gasket so far, but I schmear a super thin coat of Curil T before re-assembly.  I've also run the valves at .10 /.15 and .15/.20 mm, and prefer the sound and performance of the .10/.15. Also makes it easier to remember because that is the same as I run the Griso and 1200 S.

Need to lift the rear tire and put in 6th gear to spin the motor to get to TDC. Easy to do with the plugs out.
MGNOC#23231

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here