Author Topic: V7 iii Rear luggage rack  (Read 5519 times)

Offline Rapier

• New Egg
V7 iii Rear luggage rack
« on: September 21, 2020, 03:34:48 PM »
I am kitting out my V7iii Rough to do some light touring and will be needing some luggage.
After looking through the forums; what I am wanting is a pair of soft bags on the side and a soft tail bag. I thought about an all in one like the Wolfman but want something more modular.
My main goal for the top bag is to mount it as far back as possible without going past the taillight.

For the two side bags are side racks for the bags to rest against necessary to prevent wheel rub for something like a Kriega 20?
https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-Moto-Guzzi-Small-Luggage-Rack-2S000256
https://kriega.us/usdrypacks-2/us20

Or would the Moto Guzzi Small Luggage Rack give enough support on ~20 liter bag?
https://kriega.us/usdrypacks-2/us20

If I need the side racks (as the side bags will be only occasional) which rack is the least obtrusive; Moto Guzzi Side Bag Bracket Set?
https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-Moto-Guzzi-Side-Bag-Bracket-Set-2S000887

Any brand / option is on the table at this point.
Rapier
Chapel Hill, NC, USA
2018 Moto Guzzi V7 iii Rough
2017 Yamaha XSR900

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: V7 iii Rear luggage rack
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 03:46:30 PM »
By “least obtrusive” do you mean visually speaking? For the V7 I personally wouldn’t chance using soft panniers without the use of a pannier support/rack. Too much risk of the bag flailing into the wheel.

If you’re going for minimalist aesthetics, I would look into this style made from a few manufacturers for the Bonnevilles, the most notable manufacturer being Motone. You’d have to do some detective work on mounting point distances:

free image hosting

Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Bert Remington

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 04:18:15 PM »
Is lockable (contents or attachments) a requirement?  eg, so you can eat a meal at (maybe even in) a restaurant or buy snacks in a grocery store without concern that your stuff walked away while you were gone?

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 06:15:47 PM »
On my daughters V7II Special we went with Hepco & Becker Orbit cases. They are nice, not too big, but adds some lockable space. They are hard bags but I think they offer a soft side case for the c-bow system. We preferred the hard cases. We wanted something that wasn't too obtrusive when the bags were off the bike.

https://www.af1racing.com/Hepco-Becker-Orbit-Hard-Side-Cases-PAIR

Semi-rigid https://www.af1racing.com/Hepco-Becker-Royster-Side-Cases-Black-PAIR

Soft cases https://www.af1racing.com/Hepco-Becker-Oval-Street-Soft-Cases-PAIR

Of course the c-bow side racks are sold separately  https://www.af1racing.com/Hepco-Becker-C-Bow-Side-Case-Supports-V7s-2

They must have systems for the V7III and they might be the same as V7II but double check

For V7III  https://www.af1racing.com/Hepco-Becker-C-Bow-Side-Case-Supports-V7-IIIs-2

We also put this rack on https://www.af1racing.com/Hepco-Becker-Luggage-Rack-Chrome-for-V7-IIIs
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 06:35:49 PM by Demar »
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 06:15:47 PM »

Online egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 06:47:00 PM »
The Guzzi small luggage rack has a very low load rating - only 7 pounds. Might work if most of the weight is on the seat and you just wanted to keep the edge of the bag off the fender. The GIVI rack is much more substantial and won't break the bank like OEM.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 10:11:16 PM »
Here's the rack I made for my special, I carved two side plates from 1/4" Aluminium to attach at the 4 points where the grab bar bolts on. The two ends are bent around and riveted together.
It started out with a Givi top box but that looked fugly so when I saw a pistol case at the local hardware store I picked that up, its waterproof and lockable. It just clips on but I have it semi locked
on using a socket head screw with a nylok nut through the handle, I figure most thieves wouldn't cary a metric Allen key and 10mm wrench.
The pistol case is about 17 (430) x 12 (300) x 6-1/2 (160). It protrudes 15 (380) from the rear of the seat.
I wouldn't hesitate to load this up with 100 Ib, I included lots of attachment points for Rok straps and cargo net

The side plates are very strong but I wrapped the rack around the grab bar for good measure, the bar is protected by rubber.

Total outlay including pistol case ~$150   https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/plano-109150-field-locker-large-mil-spec-pistol-case-1755109p.html#srp

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:52:22 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Bobic69

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 04:38:01 AM »
I have Hepco Becker gear on my Bellagio and it's quality gear. I don't think it's gets less obtrusive than their C Bow stuff.
Bellagio

Offline Rapier

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 07:12:02 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and good information!
Roy, that is some nice work, if I only had the tools (ok and the talent)  :laugh:

I think I have gotten to the point that the valuable stuff comes inside and if what is left grows legs than I really hope they needed it worse than I did. My other ride is a Jeep Wrangler so same mentality I guess.

I had Hepco Becker on my BMW and have nothing but good things to say about their gear I will definitely take a re-look at their lineup.

Has anyone gotten the Moto Guzzi Canvas Side Bags -2S000907? For $1,129 I am assuming they are virtually indestructible or heavy markup even for Italian  :wink:
https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-Moto-Guzzi-Canvas-Side-Bags-2S000907
Rapier
Chapel Hill, NC, USA
2017 Yamaha XSR900

Online aproud1

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 07:21:14 AM »
The Guzzi small luggage rack has a very low load rating - only 7 pounds. Might work if most of the weight is on the seat and you just wanted to keep the edge of the bag off the fender. The GIVI rack is much more substantial and won't break the bank like OEM.

The Givi rack is much more capable than the MG small rack. The issue I ran into is the Givi won't work with most aftermarket shocks. I went with the MG small rack and it is pretty solid. Not sure what is limiting it to 7 lbs. but I plan to test that out this fall. I will be sharing the weight with the seat as you suggested.
In The Car Hole: ‘81 CB650C Basket Case Rehab Bike

The Past: ‘76 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘06 Kawasaki VN750 (pita), ‘18 V7III Milano, '20 V85TT McD, ‘21 Kawasaki W800 (totaled by a drunk dude one fateful morning)

Online egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 09:04:17 AM »
The Givi rack is much more capable than the MG small rack. The issue I ran into is the Givi won't work with most aftermarket shocks. I went with the MG small rack and it is pretty solid. Not sure what is limiting it to 7 lbs. but I plan to test that out this fall. I will be sharing the weight with the seat as you suggested.

Right, good catch - I forgot to mention that the GIVI didn't work with my Hagon shocks - OEM only as the rack uses the space below the eyelet.

Thinking the 7 lb. rating is loading at the rear of the rack and due to the single mounting point. Will probably get one with the expectation that it won't carry a large, fully loaded tail pack. Just something to kinda extend the saddle for carrying things too bulky (not heavy) for my smallish panniers.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 10:08:59 AM »
I've always been partial to the overbuilt HB racks. But that's also because I like to use a topcase too. And occasionally use both as a backrest for a passenger.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Bert Remington

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 10:35:20 AM »
Rapier -- sounds like you've been doing thorough research.  I'm fond of Aerostich https://www.aerostich.com/bags  The folks at Adv Rider are pretty savvy https://advrider.com/   and https://advrider.com/f/ (that's a Royal Enfield at the top of the page :smiley:)

To meet your "without going past the taillight" requirement (which is smart because many people inadvertently obscure it with their tail bag) your best tail rack choice is probably the H&B as Kev m depicted.  The Givi tail rack (which I have on my V7 III Stone) is the strongest but extends past the tail light so I added a second tail light (and my Givi E300N2 top case is not soft).

Send pictures of your solution.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 02:26:37 PM »
The small Guzzi rear rack is not designed to carry very much more than a couple of magazines from the post office home. The standard Guzzi rear rack, on the other hand, is a robust affair that handles all I've loaded on it - 10 years & 220,00km, without quibble or budge. I prefer the Guzzi version to the H&B effort - with the Guzzi one, loads can be extended over the seat, when necessary (such as the Kriega US30) where the raised bar on the back of the H&B would interfere. The (large) Guzzi rack also comes equipped with integral threaded posts for side rack attachment.

I use the rear rack for the dry duffle (plus other stuff), and have used the US20, plus 2 or 3 US10's on the pillion seat to good effect. Do not then need side racks, or saddle bags. I'll see if I can't find a photo.

If you're after canvas saddle bags, Andy Strapz make make a superb roll top set, out of waxed trucking canvas with useful pockets fore & aft which are worth considering. I've also found Andy Strapz seat bags - the A bag & the AA bag very useful.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 02:38:47 PM »
Rapier, if you're concerned about the bag obscuring the tail light you can add a second light as mentioned. I'm adding this license plate led light to my Stelvio and Triumph. You can wire it into your brake light wire. It also has a white led string for the license plate. You could choose to not connect that. Just another option for rear lights. They have them on Ebay in chrome and black.

I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 02:39:56 PM »
Here you go, Photo -

The V7S with the US20 and 3 of the US10's - this worked out OK, but it was the first effort, and needs refinement in packing. The modular concept has some advantages. The US10 on top only had a few light things in it - available for quick access. Better if I could do without it.

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 06:01:17 AM »
You might be surprised how little you need to carry when touring by motorcycle. 

I would figure that out before deciding on what bags to get. 

When I was motorcycle touring I only needed one change of socks, underwear, and t-shirt that were all quick drying travelwear.  Rinse in the shower, wring out, hang up and dry by next morning.  A pair of zip off leg hiking pants that were quick dry covered my off bike needs. 

Camping gear was high end mountaineering gear that packed up small and lightweight. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Rapier

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 07:50:19 PM »
Thanks for all the responses!
What I have decided to do is something similar to malik.
I have gotten the small Moto Guzzi rack (avoiding future shock issues) and I am going to pair it with Kriega bags.
I am thinking 1 US30 and 2 US20's. I have a US20 I use on my Yamaha XSR for commuting so once the rack is installed I can play with fittings.

Speaking of the rack I ordered it from Evolution Bike IT on Tuesday, it arrived today in NC USA... just wow!
https://evolutionbike.it/motoguzzistore/2s000256.html

Once I get kitted and cabled I will post some images.
Rapier
Chapel Hill, NC, USA
2017 Yamaha XSR900

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 03:26:28 PM »
Although the small rack is not as robust as the large one, it certainly looks neater naked. With the Kriega setup contemplated, most of the weight is likely to be on the pillion seat, AND directly over the axle - a good thing. Very interested in how well it works out in practice. Looking forward to the photos.

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 03:43:43 PM »
I misunderstood the post. I thought the query was regarding panniers.

For the rear rack, I initially had the Ventura luggage rack system, which I loved, but wanted the ability to have a backrest for a passenger (duh) or, more likely in my case, additional support for luggage on longer trips. I purchased a modular unit by a brand called Spaan. As you see in the pick, the metal is plate, not tubular (duuude!). The benefit is that it can be set up with just a rack, or just the backrest, or both... or neither.

I’d also look into what Kappa, another Italian brand, offers for racks. Looks like they may have some more minimalist style racks you may be interested in.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 03:45:26 PM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online Anomaly

• Gosling
  • Location: Southern Tuscany (mostly), Rhode Island (sometimes)
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 03:45:41 PM »
it certainly looks neater naked.

I quibble with the "certainly"  :grin:

Malik influenced my thinking and I picked up an OEM large rack that I think looks pretty slim naked:

The deal also included the small factory tail bag. While I acquired some Kreiga bags for longer journeys, I like the little bag for jaunts around town:

(thanks Malik!)
(hmmm, it looks like you need to click on the photos to see the full width, and thus the rack and bag I"m talking about...)
1981 T3 California, 1983 Piaggio Apecar P2
Sold: 98 BMW F650, 2012 v7 Classic

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 01:59:31 PM »
Looking good, Seth. Very tidy.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 02:07:13 PM »
Right, good catch - I forgot to mention that the GIVI didn't work with my Hagon shocks - OEM only as the rack uses the space below the eyelet.

Thinking the 7 lb. rating is loading at the rear of the rack and due to the single mounting point. Will probably get one with the expectation that it won't carry a large, fully loaded tail pack. Just something to kinda extend the saddle for carrying things too bulky (not heavy) for my smallish panniers.

FWIW: The Givi rack does work with Icons.

Rich A

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2020, 03:57:58 PM »
If I remember correctly, the Givi rack is rated for 11 pounds.  I loved the look of the MG rack but couldn't justify the price over the lack of function.
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Bert Remington

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2020, 04:39:37 PM »
The H&B tail rack as pictured by Kev M stops at the tail light.  The Givi SR8201 tail rack extends 5" past the tail light.

Don't worry about the load rating of the Givi.  I use it to lift up the rear of my V7 to move around the shop.  It has thick-wall tubing with gussets and 6 mounting points all in shear.

The Givi is flat about level with the stock Stone seat.  The H&B has a riser on its seat end.

I'm using hard cases so can't speak to your soft case plans.

Offline Rapier

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2020, 07:33:52 AM »
I have gotten the rack installed and borrowed a friends Kriega 20 so I have 2 to work with. This is what it looks like with one on the seat/rack and another strapped to the side:

Not worried at all for tires:

I used the Kriega US Drypack Fit Kit for Ducati so I would have reinforced straps to go through the rack bolt. I could not really get a good picture, however the strap is connected through the rearmost bolt:

The straps on the rack are the ones that came with the Kriega. I will be shortening them and hand stitching so they do not come off without a knife:

And I like it not going past the taillight:

A Kriega 30 in the center and two 20's (70L) should be plenty of space for any trip I am planning.
I have more images and can take more if someone wants to see a specific angle.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!
Rapier
Chapel Hill, NC, USA
2017 Yamaha XSR900

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2020, 11:14:55 AM »
 :thumb: Nice setup.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2020, 04:33:31 PM »
It's looking very promising. 70L should be enough for serious touring, let alone light. It will probably take a while to organise the packing effectively, but you'll get there. Once you've done a few trips, some photos of your set up packed in anger would be nice.

BTW, I notice you've still got that reflector on the Z bracket under the number plate carrier. If you remove the Z bracket & bolt the reflector into the bottom hole, you'll avoid risking breaking the Z bracket, like I did. Yours already looks like it's taken a knock. That bracket was designed for the super large number plates they have in Europe. Those of us in juristictions with sensibly sized number plates risk leaving behind us a trail of reflectors on broken brackets.

Happy travels,

Mal

Offline bikensail

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2020, 08:31:15 AM »
I like what you have done with the small Guzzi rack and the Kriegas. I also want to keep the weight forward and do not want racks that are back far enough to allow for a passenger.  I am planning to to do the same with my Milano. However I would like to get the side packs lower, more like soft panniers. I have the C-Bow mounts on the bike now and am trying to find the best way to use them to support and keep the bags away from the wheels.
2018 V7 Milano
2019 KTM 790 Adventure R

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2020, 09:47:54 AM »
For the panniers have a look at the SW Motech offering of the SLC carrier and LC (Legend Gear) bags

My V9 came with them and they look good, but the panniers can't be locked to the bike as far as I can establish so far

Not the best pics I'm afraid

Go here https://sw-motech.us/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2020, 09:52:15 AM »
I'm the outlier but I use the Ventura rack system.  I can't stand the though of marring the looks of a V7 with side cases-I realize I'm alone on this but nonetheless the Ventura system works brilliantly and the rear bag can double as a great back rest on a journey.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here