Author Topic: Help/Ideas Requested for Norge 2V blowing fuse D (15A)  (Read 5153 times)

Offline wallycycle

• New Egg
Help/Ideas Requested for Norge 2V blowing fuse D (15A)
« on: January 07, 2015, 09:08:40 PM »
2007 Norge. Fuse D (15A) in the auxiliary fuse block blows. It's fed by the 30A fuse in the Main Fuse block by the battery. Fuse D supplies four primary things according to my shop manual. I've checked all the relays and obvious stuff short of tracing every conductor to every using unit to find the short. Don't know if related but the Neutral light stopped working a few miles before the motor died. No start with this fuse blown. Dash show ECU with a "power cord disconnect icon" which makes sense as one of the things this circuit feeds is the ECU.

Was just wondering if anyone has ever had this occurrence and could give me a hint as where I should look to save me some busy work.

Thanks in advance!

Vasco DG

Re: Help/Ideas Requested for Norge 2V blowing fuse D (15A)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:51:30 AM »
ECU unplugged is never good. Usually it's th result of a poor earth and it gets fried. Having said that they are *Sometimes* recoverable with a reflash. If you want to send it to me I can try or if you can find someone local with 'Writer' and the original map you could ask them to come over and try but make sue the earth is good first. I'd just plumb in a second one direct to the battery.

Pete

Offline wallycycle

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 05:01:46 AM »
Thanks Pete. I'll do some more fiddling and homework and see what I can find out.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:22:23 AM »
Does the fuse blow before you press Start?
After you press Start?

All I can suggest is unplug everything fed by fuse D then add them back one at a time while pressing start and cycling the switch in case it's just a wiring short.
Plug in the main Injection Relay first, it seems to supply all the other loads, plug the ECU in last (with the power off of course.

If you find you have an intermittent short substitute fuse D for a large wattage lamp like a headlight bulb. The lamp will flash to full brightness whenever you create a short.

The Neutral light wiring you can check by simply grounding the terminal of the switch.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:22:23 AM »

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 02:03:20 PM »

If you find you have an intermittent short substitute fuse D for a large wattage lamp like a headlight bulb. The lamp will flash to full brightness whenever you create a short.

except that bypassing the fuse could set the wiring on fire
2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 05:12:46 PM »
Plan B would be to use a resettable fuse/breaker in place of the real fuse until the problem is isolated.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 07:51:06 AM »

except that bypassing the fuse could set the wiring on fire

Where did I suggest by-passing the fuse?
The word I used was substitute.

Here are a couple of uses

A lamp is like a magic fuse, when it's cold it will provide an amp or more to power up the circuit. If you get a short it will flash to full brightness and limit the current to whatever the lamp normally draws, no fuses blown, no wires fried and very visual. Use an old headlamp or perhaps both filaments in parallel of a Stop & Tail.

Use the lamp with a wandering lead to power up small circuits with a current limited source.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:07:54 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline wallycycle

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 10:36:57 AM »
Yes, I've been using a resettable fuse. (great tool).

But here's the mystery, I took all the now loose stuff (relays, fuse blocks) that was under the seat during my troubleshooting and put it back where it originally was and PFM, the bike does not blow the fuse when turning on the ignition! Did this step in conjunction with the suggestion / question above if it blows with or without the stop switch in on or off. Have ridden a few times and no problem.

anyway, I'm happy it's running but have no confidence that it won't come back. Sounds like a conductor is exposed somewhere and was touching ground and by moving things around, it no longer does. Jeeze I hate transient electrical problems! Rather have a blown motor. At least I know what the issue is.

thanks for the advise.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 04:40:27 PM »
It's not very obvious from Carl's diagram where the Start relay get's it's power from, if it's fuse D that may explain it blowing.
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2007_Norge.gif

Carl's drawing shows the Start relay R3 fed from Fuse B but in turn is fed from somewhere else, let's see if that somewhere else is Fuse D

If you pull out R3, turn the key on you should find 12 Volts on pin 3 of the base.
Now turn the key Off, remove fuse D then key On again. If the 12 Volts on pin 3 has disappeared Fuse D must supply the Start relay.

The load on Relay 3 is over 40 Amps for a split second, I have proven that and also if the main contacts of the starter solenoid don't close it will blow a 15 Amp fuse in less than 1/2 second. You must have read about "Startus Interuptus"

Would you mind checking above?

Is there anything in the manual to describe what each fuse does?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:42:04 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline wallycycle

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 09:02:30 PM »
Yes, my shop manual describes the using units of each fuse.

thanks. I'll do some more troubleshooting.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here